The best expectorants for wet cough in adults
Achel is a protective reaction of the body to a stimulus. In the role of a provocateur, external factors (smoke, dust, sharp perfume) or internal (infectious diseases and respiratory tract pathologies) can act. Each cough is individual.
One symptom should be eliminated, and the other should, on the contrary, be provoked. Methods of treatment always depend on the individual characteristics of the patient and the cause of the cough.
Wet cough - symptoms
Expectorants with a wet cough are prescribed everywhere. Most medicines are on the list of OTC products. It is important to correctly distinguish a wet cough from a dry one, since the treatment they have is completely different. When wet coughing, the following symptoms are noted:
- the person coughs, making gurgling sounds,
- sputum leaves with varying degrees of intensity (productive or difficult),
- growing in the morning after waking up
- when listening to the fanndoscope breathing, wheezing and whistles are heard.
A moist cough appears in case of diseases of the lower respiratory system: chronic, acute, infectious or somatic.
Expectorants: drug classification
Expectorants are called complexes of drugs, the purpose of which is the removal of sputum from the respiratory tract.
In the normal state, this process proceeds independently. The rate of movement of mucus in the bronchi varies from 0.4 to 2 cm per minute. In case of violation of such a process, doctors prescribe expectorant drugs to the patient.
Preparations have many classifications. They differ in the principle of action:
- stimulators (reflex and resorptive),
- secretolytic (proteolytics, cysteines, mucoregulators).
Drugs are produced in different forms: tablets, suspensions, concentrates, inhalation solutions. The basis of medicines can be herbal or synthetic. An individual best expectorant is selected for each patient.
Cough reflex stimulants
For wet cough, stimulatory expectorants are recommended. The action of such drugs is aimed at irritating the respiratory receptors, which provokes a cough.
Stimulating drugs accelerate the excretion of sputum from the bronchi, thereby reducing inflammation and approaching the time of recovery. The use of this group of drugs is advisable for non-viscous and sputum sputum.
All stimulating drugs, in turn, are divided into two subgroups:
Reflex Action Medicines
Reflex-stimulating drugs have an expectorant effect:
- they liquefy gastric mucus, which provokes irritation of gag and cough,
- high activity of the medulla oblongata provokes an additional synthesis of bronchial mucus,
- as a result, the frequency of the urge to cough increases.
Medicines have a short duration of action, therefore, require frequent use of repeated doses. The use of large volumes is fraught with nausea, accompanied by vomiting.
Taking medication reflex action must strictly comply with the recommended dosage.
Resorptive expectorants for wet cough in adults are used when the amount of sputum is small. Such compositions work on the following principle:
- increase the secretion of bronchial mucus (liquid part),
- contribute to its dilution and make sputum easier to breed,
- stimulate the rapid passage of accumulated secret.
Because of its pharmacological action, resorptive drugs can cause adverse reactions in the form of lacrimation, nasal congestion.
These symptoms disappear after stopping the medication. Liquid forms of drugs in this group are considered more effective.
Practice shows that resorptive medications are rarely prescribed. More often their use happens when using the combined means.
Drugs acting on sputum
Thinning medicines are recommended for use in the presence of a good cough reflex, but difficult to separate the resulting secret.
The drugs act directly on sputum, adjusting its condition. Due to its action, medications make bronchial secretion fluid and easily separable. All diluting compositions are divided into subgroups: proteolytic, cysteines and mucoregulators.
The most popular sputum thinning drugs are medicines belonging to the cysteine subgroup. The principle of their operation is as follows:
- break down the disulfide bonds that are part of the sputum glycoprotein protein,
- quickly liquefy thick mucus
- promote soft sputum removal during coughing.
Medicines based on cysteine should be carefully prescribed to a weakened patient. Under the supervision of a physician, such medications are taken by patients in whom the excretion of liquefied sputum may be difficult.
Cysteine-based drugs act quickly and efficiently. They form large volumes of bronchial mucus, which in some situations requires its evacuation in the hospital.
The drugs in this group show the following effect:
- break bonds (peptide) between sputum molecules,
- bronchial mucus undergoes powerful thinning
- When coughing, sputum is easily excreted naturally.
Proteolytic enzymes are prescribed for patients under the supervision of a physician. Such drugs can cause serious side effects: allergies, bronchospasm or bleeding in the lungs. It is forbidden to use these funds for obstructive bronchitis.
Enzyme preparations are made from the pancreas of cattle. Most of them are administered by inhalation. Such drugs are not suitable for self-administration. To purchase them requires a recipe.
Regulators mucolytic response
Expectorant drugs in this group are the newest. The peculiarity of their work is as follows:
- increase the volume of secreted pulmonary surfactant,
- balance the amount of viscous sputum and liquid secretion,
- provoke cough reflex by increasing the amount of mucus.
Mucoregulators are actively used in modern medicine. They are prescribed to children and adults. Most drugs are non-prescription drugs.
Ambroxol-based drugs today are the most popular. They are used in pediatrics, therapy, otolaryngology and pulmonology.
Drugs are safe, effective, get positive feedback from consumers.
In some patients, expectorant and phlegm diluting agents purchased at a pharmacy cause mistrust. In pursuit of well-being and health benefits, people use popular recipes with a wet cough. The effectiveness of this method of treatment is questioned.
- Honey - removes phlegm from the bronchi, reduces inflammation and accelerates tissue regeneration.
- Lemon is a source of vitamin C, boosts immunity, restores damaged epithelium.
- Radish - stimulates the immune response, accelerates the discharge of thick sputum. Thanks to a combination of nutrients, relieves the inflammatory process and normalizes oxygen metabolism.
- Herbs decoctions - have anti-inflammatory, regenerating, expectorant action. Are taken inside or entered using an inhaler.
One of the popular folk remedies for wet cough, which is also recommended by doctors, is inhalation with mineral water. Mineral salts relieve inflammation, extra fluid accelerates mucus dilution, and alkaline components promote the rapid healing of damaged structures.
Wet cough compresses can only be done with normal body temperature. Warming up is carried out with vodka, honey, dough cakes, mustard plasters and other various means.
Physiotherapy and massage also show high efficacy in treating wet cough.
How are expectorants classified
Expectorants with a wet cough in adults are divided into 3 main types:
- Mucolytic drugs (mucolytics).
- Preparations with reflex action.
- Combined medications.
A distinctive feature of mucolytics is the ability to dilute the bronchial secretion and activate its discharge from the respiratory tract. Such drugs often become the first choice for treating wet cough in adults and children. Among the popular mucolytic products should include Bromhexin 8 Berlin-Chemie, Ambrogexal, Fluditek.
Drugs that exhibit a reflex effect are mainly made on the basis of natural ingredients. The use of such drugs provides stimulation of special receptors of the stomach, causes a weak gag reflex. This group includes medicines based on licorice root, Althea, and plantain - Herbion, Doctor Theiss.
Combined action drugs show a bronchodilator, anti-inflammatory, antihistamine effect when coughing with sputum, stimulate the secretion of mucous secretions. Among the popular tools - Ascoril, Bronholitin.
Bromhexin 8 Berlin-Hemi
The drug in the form of a dragee is produced by German manufacturers. The active ingredient of the product is bromhexine hydrochloride.
The drug has pronounced secretolytic (mucolytic) and secretomotor (expectorant) properties, has a moderate antitussive effect. Against the background of therapy with this remedy, a decrease in the viscosity of the bronchial secretion, stimulation of ciliated epithelium cells, an increase in the amount of sputum and its accelerated evacuation occur. The maximum effect of the drug use is noted at 2-5 days from the start of the treatment course.
Bromhexin 8 Berlin-Chemie is indicated for the presence of diseases that cause viscous sputum production:
- bronchial asthma,
- cystic fibrosis,
- pulmonary emphysema,
- obstructive bronchitis,
With a wet cough, the drug is taken three times a day, 1-2 tablets at a time. Course duration - up to 5 days. Extension of therapy must be approved by a doctor.
The drug is contraindicated in the acute stage of peptic ulcer, with intolerance to the active substance. The tool does not apply in the first trimester of gestation and during lactation.
The average cost of Bromhexin 8 Berlin-Hemi dragees is from 128 rubles.
Ambrohexal is produced in tablet form and contains ambroxol hydrochloride. This drug from the group of mucolytics provides the following action:
- reduces viscosity of bronchial secretions,
- increases sputum production in the bronchi,
- speeds up the clearance of airway mucus.
Ambrohexal helps to improve the condition of patients with the development of infectious bronchitis, pneumonia, bronchiectasis, bronchial asthma, and tracheitis. The medicine is taken as prescribed by a specialist, in accordance with an individually suggested scheme or instructions for use instructions..
Most often, tablets are drunk as follows:
- In the first 2-3 days of therapy - 1 pc. 2-3 times within 24 hours (no more than 60-90 mg per day).
- Next - 1 tablet twice a day (maintenance dose).
The drug is prohibited to use in the first half of pregnancy, with ulcerative lesions of the digestive system, hypersensitivity to its active component. The second half of gestation and breastfeeding are relative contraindications to the use of Ambrohexal.
The price of tablets in the pharmacy chain is 105-117 rubles.
The composition of the syrup Flyuditek included the active substance carbocysteine. This drug exhibits expectorant, mucolytic properties, is involved in the regeneration of the mucous membrane, the work of the ciliary epithelium, reduces the viscosity of bronchial sputum and activates its discharge.
The drug is mainly used in the event of acute or chronic bronchopulmonary diseases that cause difficulties with sputum production. Also with the help of Flyuitek, the treatment of inflammatory pathologies affecting the sinuses of the middle ear, nasopharynx and nose, causing the production of difficult-to-separate mucus (adenoiditis, rhinitis, sinusitis, otitis).
For adults, the syrup is 5%. A single dosage of the drug is 15 ml. This volume of medication is taken three times a day, 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. Syrup is recommended to use no longer than 10 days.
In the list of restrictions to treatment with this remedy, the manufacturers included a stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer, exacerbation of chronic cystitis, glomerulonephritis, pregnancy (first trimester), age under 15 years.
You can buy Flyuditek syrup for 295-307 rubles.
With the development of wet cough, patients are prescribed a herbion syrup with ivy or primrose. The cost of each of these products ranges from 237-308 rubles.
This form of the drug has the following effects:
Adult dosage of the drug - 15 ml three times a day. At the discretion of the physician, the average dose may be increased. The duration of the drug is from 2 to 6 weeks.
Herbion with ivy is contraindicated in the presence of a patient with severe cardiac pathologies, thyroid disease, intolerance to the active ingredient.
In addition to primrose root extract, this medicine contains common thyme herb. Syrup exhibits antitussive, expectorant action, normalizes bronchopulmonary secretion, thins sputum, facilitates coughing. The drug contributes to the formation of a protective film on the mucous membranes of the respiratory system, weakens the cough reflex.
The main indications for the use of syrup with primrose are bronchitis, tracheitis, tracheobronchitis, acute respiratory diseases. The drug is administered three times throughout the day, 15 ml at a time. To achieve positive results, the medicinal product is recommended to use a 2-3 week course.
The list of contraindications to treatment with this remedy includes diabetes mellitus, bronchial asthma, hereditary fructose intolerance, congenital insufficiency of sucrase-isomaltase, lactation and pregnancy.
The drug has a natural basis in the form of plantain extract. Syrup exhibits mucolytic, expectorant and anti-inflammatory properties, helps fight cough syndrome, leading to insufficient sputum discharge.
Dr. Theiss is effective in diseases that cause inflammation in the airways - bronchitis, pneumonia, acute rhinitis, sinusitis. Also, the drug is prescribed to patients with asthma, laryngitis, pharyngitis, flu, cystic fibrosis, tonsillitis, otitis media, gingivitis.
Adults drink syrup three times a day, 15 ml at a time. The duration of the course is determined by the doctor. The main contraindication to treatment with this drug is poor tolerance to its composition.
The average price of syrup Dr. Theiss - from 223 rubles.
The drug is available in tablet and liquid form. The composition of the drug includes several active ingredients in the form of salbutamol sulfate, bromhexine hydrochloride, guaifenesin. This combined tool is designed to improve expectoration, pain, eliminate bronchospasms, allergic reactions.
Ascoril has an extensive list of indications for use, among which are:
- Different types of bronchitis.
- Catarrhal pathologies.
- Emphysema, pulmonary tuberculosis.
Adults take Ascoril tablets three times a day, 1 pc. It is recommended to drink syrup with the same frequency, 10 ml each time. The tool is prohibited for use in patients with heart disease, diabetes in the stage of decompensation, hypertension, bleeding of the digestive tract, glaucoma, hepatic or renal failure.
Ascoril tablets have a cost of about 166 rubles. The price of syrup - from 230 rubles.
This drug is considered a universal remedy for cough. Bronholitin contains 2 active ingredients - glaucine hydrobromide and ephedrine hydrochloride. Auxiliary role is performed by basil oil and other substances.
The medicine in the form of a syrup has a bronchodilator effect, it allows to improve the discharge of bronchial secretions, helps to eliminate spasms, swelling of the bronchial mucosa. The drug is indicated for the development of acute inflammatory processes in the upper respiratory tract, leading to incomplete sputum secretion. The dose of the product for adult patients is 10 ml three times-four times a day.
This tool has an affordable price. Bronholitin can be purchased at a low price - 88-120 rubles.
When do you need expectorants?
Главным пунктом при действенном лечении является диагностика и установление природы заболевания.
Кашель бывает двух видов:
- сухой характеризует симптомы малопродуктивных заболеваний (ОРВИ, грипп),
- влажный относится к продуктивным заболеваниям (острый бронхит, пневмония).
Dry originates in the lungs and is accompanied by a viscous sputum and its small discharge. In the treatment of drugs used for sputum in the throat.
Wet indicates the development of inflammation and its transition into the trachea and deeper into the bronchi. In this case, the use of funds, diluting and excreting phlegm.
Expectorants for sputum are necessary when inflammation occurs, regardless of the type and nature of the disease. Simple actions and compliance with the recommendations of the doctor will help to avoid complications.
Bronchial secretion drugs
Sputum thinning agents are prescribed in accordance with the symptoms and definition of the disease.
Mucolytic drugs are prescribed for the dry type. They contribute to the dilution, reduce viscosity, facilitate the withdrawal of sputum and reduce the development of the disease. When exposed to special enzymes, the bronchial mucous membrane normalizes. Medicines are available in the form of sputum diluting tablets (Bromhexin, Mukaltin), solutions and mixtures for inhalation (Berodual), powders and pills for making hot drinks (Dry Mixture, ACC). It is possible to purchase drugs without a prescription.
In the treatment of the wet type, combinations of drugs are used to liquefy sputum.
When complications are used medication for reflex sputum. They promote coughing and expectorant properties. This leads to an acceleration of mucus withdrawal. Often used pills for sputum Mukaltin, syrups from Altea Root or licorice.
The best pills and syrups for sputum removal
The modern pharmacy market is quite extensive and it is rather difficult to choose the best drug for sputum. When self-medication, the patient often faces the question of which means to choose.
Someone acquires the recommendations of friends and acquaintances, some in accordance with the reviews on the Internet. Specialists prescribe medications after determining the exact diagnosis.
Expectorants for removing sputum in adults with dry cough:
- Codelac Broncho. Complex preparation with ambroxol, sodium glycyrrhizinate and thermopsis extract. Available in the form of tablets and syrup.
- Herbion. It has a complex effect: it contributes to the dilution and removal of sputum, reduces the risk of further inflammation, has antibacterial properties.
- Bronhikum is marketed in three types of sputum removal agent: syrup, elixir, lozenges. Works as a bronchodilator: reduces inflammation, facilitating expectoration. A distinctive feature is the ability to use at any stages of the disease.
The first group of funds for sputum with a wet cough are reflex. Produced on a vegetable basis in the form of syrups. Often prescribed is Licorice Root, Althea, Medicinal Plantain Extract.
Combined agents stimulate the release of mucus and the expansion of the bronchi, reducing the risk of further inflammation. Ascoril and Bronholitin are leaders in this field.
Widespread use of the drug ACC. It speeds up the process of discharge and excretion of sputum, stabilizing the work of the respiratory tract. It retains its properties when the disease is started, and the appearance of purulent sputum. Available in the form of tablets, syrup and granules for solution preparation. Due to its safety, it is often used in the treatment of children.
Drugs must be used in strict accordance with the recommendations of the attending physician. Illiterate use can lead to the start and the complication of the disease.
Inhalation for easier discharge
The treatment often uses inhalation to liquefy sputum. They affect only the respiratory system. Application improves well-being, accelerates the healing process. Mitigating the development of the disease positively reduces the duration of the disease. Inhalation acts directly on the inflamed organs, which leads to liquefaction and rapid release of mucus.
Inhalations with the use of a nebulizer have the greatest effect. Medicinal particles in a state of steam get inside, evenly distributed throughout the organs.
Saline is used in the early stages and refers to the well-known drugs in this area.
Berodual is prescribed for dry cough. With it, make inhalation for sputum discharge. It helps to relax the muscles of the bronchi, improving the production of mucus. The effect of such inhalation lasts up to 6 hours.
Inhalation with Ambrobene dissolve the secret, and facilitate the process of his discharge. Have the property of accelerating recovery.
The inhalation method is also used to treat a wet type of cough.
An effective method of treatment is a combination of drugs to thin the sputum when coughing: saline solution with Lasolvan or Bronchosen.
The use of herbal ingredients is recommended when coughing. Apply the essential oils of eucalyptus, thyme, mother and stepmother. They provoke cough reflexes, contributing to the dilution and release of mucus.
It should be remembered that inhalation has a number of contraindications. At elevated temperatures, purulent expectorations, and inflammation of the lungs from inhalation should be avoided.
Folk ways with a wet cough
Folk remedies for sputum actively eliminate inflammation, accelerate the healing process. To cure a wet cough with the use of exclusively herbal impossible. You can buy this at the pharmacy. Licorice root and liquorice liquor tincture are suitable for internal use.
A mixture of birch buds and lime blossom improves coughing.
The main effect of herbal inhalation is the expansion of the respiratory tract. This contributes to the dilution of mucus and accelerates the process of its removal. When inhalation use eucalyptus, string, wild rosemary.
Hot milk with soda speeds up the process of expectoration. It is recommended to take one glass a day.
Great success as a means for removing sputum, enjoy compresses from potatoes. Freshly mashed potatoes for an hour should be applied to the chest and back. Heat actively thins mucus, improving the exit process.
How to get rid of sputum correctly?
For proper treatment and full recovery when the first symptoms of sputum appear, specialist advice is necessary. Fulfillment of instructions and taking necessary medications will speed up the process of sputum liquefaction and its withdrawal from the throat and bronchi. You can bring the healing process closer with the use of inhalations and effective folk treatment methods.
Preparations in the form of tablets and powders for the treatment of wet cough
- Codelac broncho is a powerful tool to eliminate cough. Thanks to its ambroxol, sputum splits and exits through the respiratory tract, much faster. Broncho codec is prescribed to adults and children from 12 years on three tablets per day. The drug is used for bronchitis, pneumonia, when the release of sputum is difficult. As with all medications, there are contraindications, such as age up to 12 years, pregnancy, breastfeeding and individual allergy to substances.
- Gelomirtol It is available in the form of capsules, rather generous, Germanic drug. It is a mucolytic, antimicrobial, deodorizing agent for various colds, sinusitis. Children and adults can take it, but in different doses. Children under 10 take 4 capsules per day, 120 milligrams, or 2 300 mg each. At a certain diagnosis, the doctor himself prescribes the dosage. Adults and children over 10 years old can take 300 mg capsules. up to 4 times a day. From contraindications, individual intolerance of components, age up to 6 years, asthma, urolithiasis.
- Mukaltin is a herbal preparation, in which there is an extract of Althea. It promotes rapid, easy dilution and release of sputum, and is also an anti-inflammatory agent. You can take children from year to year, if necessary, dissolve in drinking water, one tablet per day. Children from 3 to 12 years old 1-2 tablets, older and adults a day not more than 6 tablets, you can take two pieces at once.
- Thermopsol A powerful drug for the treatment of diseases with difficult-to-expect sputum (tracheitis, bronchitis, pneumonia). In its composition there is an extract of the herb of thermanceic lanceolate (considered to be a poisonous plant in nature), which has an expectorant effect on the respiratory tract. Permitted administration from 12 years, the total dosage of one pill 2-3 times a day. You can not exceed the daily dose of the drug 0.3 grams (3 tablets of 0.1 g).
- Ambroxol used in inflammatory diseases of the lungs (bronchitis, tracheitis, pneumonia, asthma). It helps to reduce the viscosity of sputum and facilitates its excretion, has an expectorant, mucolytic action. It is possible to apply to children from 6 to 12 years on half a tablet (15 mg) 2 times a day, adults on the whole tablet 2-3 times a day.
- Bromhexine is a common, generous, effective means to liquefy and release sputum from the respiratory tract. Tablets are available with different dosages of 4, 8, 16 mg. For adults should not exceed the maximum dose of 48 milligrams, children from 6 to 14 dosage per day should not be higher than 24 mg. Bromgesin is prescribed for various diseases of the bronchi and lungs, which are accompanied by viscous and hard-to-enter sputum.
- ACC in the composition of the active substance - acetylcysteine, which affects sputum, reduces viscosity, removes it from the respiratory tract. Allowed to children from 14 years old and adults on one effervescent tablet 1 time per day. The finished solution is stored no more than 2 hours, it is better to take immediately after dissolution, diluted only in a glass container. In case of bronchial asthma and obstructive bronchitis, it is used only in the presence of a physician, under close supervision.
- Fluimucil Available in the form of effervescent tablets of 600 mg, has a slight smell of sulfur. It is appointed only from 18 years on 1 tablet dissolved in water once a day. An effective drug for respiratory diseases. From contraindications: age up to 18 years, individual intolerance of the substances which are a part, a stomach ulcer and a duodenum.
All of the above tablets are applied orally (inside), the duration of doses varies from 4 to 28 days.
It all depends on the drug, the disease and age. Any pills should be used after prescribing by a doctor.
When treating cough, one should drink large amounts of warm, purified water, as well as tea, compote, and so on.
In addition to tablets, there are syrups, they mostly have a pleasant, sweet taste, they are easier to treat children.
Types of syrups for treating wet cough
- Fluditec Available in the form of a syrup of 20 and 50 g. It is prescribed for acute and chronic diseases of the bronchi and lungs, as well as for inflammation of the nasal cavity, sinuses, middle ear, which are accompanied by viscous sputum. The dosage of syrup is 20 mg for children from 2 to 5 years, 5 ml, 2 times a day, over 5 years, 5 ml, 3 times a day. Adults use syrup 50 mg 15 ml 3 times a day.
- Ambroxol syrup with a pleasant, sweet taste, can be used for small children and adults. Dosage up to a year prescribed exclusively by a doctor. Up to 2 years 2.5 ml 2 times a day, from 2 to 5 years 2.5 ml 3 times, 5-12 years 5 ml 2-3 times, adults 10 ml 2-3 times a day. Applied with diseases of the respiratory system, which are accompanied by a viscous, difficult-to-enter sputum.
- Prospan is a natural, plant syrup, which contains ivy leaf extract. Due to this, the drug is considered mucolytic, antimicrobial, antitussive, antispasmodic. You can apply to children from one year to six years 2.5 ml 3 times a day, from 6 to 10 5 ml 3 times a day, children from 10 years and adults 7.5 m 3 times a day. Children only up to a year old can be prescribed only by a doctor. Assign as an expectorant for diseases of the upper, respiratory tract.
- Herbion Primrose syrup is used for bronchitis, tracheitis and other respiratory diseases. Children from 2 to 5 years old appoint 2.5 ml 3 times a day, 5-14 years 5 ml 3 times a day, adults and children over 4 from 10 to 15 ml 3 times a day. Effective expectorant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory cough based on the roots of the spring primrose.
- Pertussin In its composition it contains grass, the main component of the drug. Due to it, the sputum in the respiratory tract is eroded, and it is faster and easier to cough up. Promotes safe and effective treatment of wet cough. Till 2 years pertussin is appointed by the doctor, from two years according to the instruction, not exceeding a dosage.
If the cough treatment has been delayed and many days have passed, drugs should be changed to eliminate addiction.
Also it is worth paying attention to the sugar content in syrups, in small children diathesis may occur.
Allergies can also begin at any age, symptoms include skin redness, a rash, a runny nose.
Diabetics are used with extreme caution, the amount of sucrose is written in the composition per 100 ml of the medicine.
It is not necessary to self-medicate and choose drugs by packaging, composition, contraindications.
It is necessary to consult a doctor and find a personal, more effective method of treating cough.
If tightened with the treatment of wet cough, it can sink to the bottom, through the respiratory tract and cause serious diseases like bronchitis, pneumonia and even asthma.
These diseases are not only inherited, but also acquired at any age.
With a wet cough, take infusions, decoctions and make inhalation of:
They all contribute to the rapid release of sputum.
You can also combine and end up with an effective collection.
But there is still a very simple and effective way, you need to purchase a ready-made collection at the pharmacy.
They differ in numbers and naturally by purpose.
Nursing chest number 3
This collection has anti-inflammatory, expectorant effect.
Assigned to various inflammatory processes, accompanied, coughing and sputum difficult to get out.
The collection contains root devayasila, Althea, oregano, birch buds.
There are several types of fees, all herbs are changed and combined with others, complementing each other.
Lozenges for wet coughing:
- Dr. Mom
- Coldact Lorpils
- Bronhikum With
A very convenient remedy for the relief and treatment of cough.
Pastils are used for sucking in the mouth, have a pleasant sweet taste, they do not need to drink water.
Even for the treatment of cough drops are used, they are easy to dose and apply.
Inhalation with a wet cough
- Using a nebulizer can worsen the condition or vice versa. There are two opinions about this. If you carry out procedures using the solution: fluimucil, ambrobene, lasolvan, mukaltin, pertusin - the amount of sputum in the bronchi increases, which means that the cough will become stronger. Or the sputum will be divided into smaller particles and come out faster. You can try to pour mineral water Borjomi or Narzan, quite an effective and safe means. The nebulizer must be personalized to avoid various kinds of infections.
- Self-made inhalations based on medicinal herbs, nursing fees, essential oils. They can be prepared at home, practically have no contraindications, safe (with the exception of burns). There are certain inconveniences, the procedure should begin after the optimum temperature for breathing is reached.
Contraindications for inhalation:
- Increased body temperature
- Purulent sputum
- Angina, purulent throat lesions
Each method and drug is considered effective and fast, but do not forget about the individuality of the organism.
A cough medicine can help one person and cure it completely, and another only hurts.
For any, frequent manifestations of cough should consult a doctor.
How effective is the treatment of moist cough with expectorants?
Such masses, settling in the lungs, bronchi and throat, have an intoxication effect on the body, and he tries to bring out sputum by activating the cough reflex.
While the sputum is too small - there is a so-called “dry” cough, in which such masses are not expectorated.
But when sputum becomes quite a lot – when coughing, it comes out.
If it is difficult due to the fact that these masses are too thick or the cough reflex is not strong enough - it is necessary to use expectorant drugs.
Such drugs affect the mucous membranes and muscles of the bronchi, enhancing the cough reflex.
Most drugs (especially in the form of syrups), having a combined effect, additionally dilute phlegm, providing easier its discharge.
When are expectorants necessary?
Expectorants required when difficulty evacuating sputum from the respiratory tract, in which such slime accumulates.
The use of drugs in this category appropriate for almost all respiratory diseases.
Sometimes treatment with folk remedies is possible as a supplement to the main therapy, but only with the approval of the attending physician.
За исключением патологий, сопровождающихся некрозом или тех, что возникают не вследствие активности патогенной микрофлоры, а обусловлены повреждением легких и бронхов или возникающих при попадании в них инородных объектов.
К таким заболеваниям относятся:
Отхаркивающие препараты, применяемые при влажном кашле, делятся на две группы: рефлекторные и резорбативные.
When using such drugs in humans, there is more urge to cough, which in this case does not turn into seizures.
The duration of the action of such syrups and tablets is short, which necessitates frequent and regular use of drugs.
But at the same time, excess dosages lead to excessive excitation of cough receptors, which can provoke nausea and vomiting.
Resorptive expectorants provoke sputum productionwhen it is not enough for expectoration.
At the same time, such drugs dilute these secretions. These drugs are considered agents of direct action, affecting directly the mucous membrane and glands of the bronchial tree.
With a weak, wet cough, it is optimal to take such preparations with iodine content - this substance dilutes the sputum faster and facilitates its evacuation.
Popular and effective means
Means well helps with diseases of the bronchi and lungs.
The tool includes Althea extract, which affects the secretory functions of the respiratory tract, increasing the production of mucus and stimulates the ciliated epithelium of the bronchi, contributing to the ejection of sputum.
At the same time, the medicine eliminates strong inflammatory processes in the respiratory tract, which develop both on the background of the disease itself and because of the constant debilitating cough.
It is necessary to take the drug four times a day for two tablets 30 minutes before meals.
- ACC (acetylcysteine).
An agent based on the amino acid cysteine.
The drug helps to accelerate the discharge of sputum in the upper respiratory tract, diluting mucous membranes through the break in them disulfide bonds.
As a result, the structure of sputum is disturbed and it becomes less viscous.
The medicine is sold in bags for dilution in water.
Adults with any diseases of the respiratory system appoint 2-3 such bags per day.
Indications for the appointment of funds are tracheobronchitis and bronchitis.
The drug irritates the respiratory centers, accelerating the production of sputum.
Take the drug should be three times a day, one tablet for five days.
Effective wet-dissolving drug that changes the structure of bronchial secretions.
As a result, they quickly get into the upper respiratory tract from the bronchi and bronchioles, but the cough subsides as the airway clears.
The tool is produced in the form of tablets and syrups.
Bronchobos pills are taken three times a day for two pieces for 10 days.
Drink three tablespoons of syrup three times a day.
The drug is prescribed for sinusitis and bronchitis (including - in the chronic form).
Gelomirtol activates cough receptors, increasing cough and reducing sputum viscosity.
Additionally, the tool has antimicrobial effects and protects the tissues of the respiratory tract from the negative effects of free radicals.
The daily dose of the drug for adults is 300 milligrams (three tablets), the reception is carried out three times a day for half an hour before meals.
In case of chronic bronchitis, it is additionally recommended to take one pill before bedtime - in this case, in the morning you can expect a heavy discharge of sputum.
The tool acts on the mucous membranes of the bronchi, activating their activities.
This leads to increased ejection of sputum, which, in this case, is subjected to a diluting effect.
Like ACC, fluifort is sold in packets in the form of a powder, from which a solution is prepared for internal use by stirring water in a glass.
The tool take one sachet per day.
The drug is prescribed for any diseases of the respiratory tract.
And depending on the origin of the disease and the degree of its severity, the duration of the course of treatment can be from several days to several months.
The tool of the combined action, which normalizes the viscosity of sputum, eliminates inflammation and stimulates its discharge.
Often prescribed for diseases that are accompanied by the formation of purulent sputum.
During use, the medicine has an enveloping effect, protecting the airway tissue from the accumulation of pathogenic microflora on them.
The tool is taken three times a day, one tablet.
Contributes to the activation of the glands of the mucous membrane of the bronchi, which produce special enzymes to liquefy sputum.
The product is sold in two forms: 3% and 5% syrup.
Adult patients and children over 14 years old are prescribed syrup of the second type.
It should be taken either an hour before meals, or two hours after a meal three times a day, one tablespoon.
The total duration of treatment should not exceed ten days.
Mucolytic with bronchodilator properties, which softens and accelerates the process of sputum discharge and due to the content of menthol has a moderate anesthetic effect.
Guaifenesine, which is part of the drug, increases the productivity of cough and stimulates the muscles of the bronchial tree.
On the day, take the drug three times two teaspoons.
A mild remedy that is best used to treat diseases in the early stages of development.
The drug accelerates sputum discharge and simultaneously has a calming effect on the cough receptors, eliminating it with prolonged treatment.
Dosage and multiplicity of reception of kashnol are the same as that of syrup djoset.
"I already several years chronic bronchitisand during that time I tried a large number of antitussive drugs.
In my case The remedy was the best fudlytekI accept I begin to expect sputum on the second or third day.
Usually during periods of acute illness, it is possible to achieve positive results during the first week of treatment. ”
Valentin Obukhov, Obninsk.
“In terms of effectiveness for me, most of the antitussive expectorant drugs are the same.
But in terms of side effects, I prefer the bronchobos pills.
I have no negative consequences in treating with their help, and during the first days I begin to expectorate accumulated sputum and my breathing becomes easier and stabilized».
Alina Seliverstova, Syzran.
From this video you will learn about drugs that improve expectoration of sputum:
Expectorant drugs for adults with a wet cough must be selected individually depending on the diseases and on what other drugs the patient takes extra.
Most of these remedies do not have serious contraindications, but to achieve the maximum therapeutic effect, their reception must be coordinated with the attending physician.
Indications for use and mechanism of action of expectorant drugs
Expectorant drugs are divided into two large groups:
- Mucolytics - improve the work of mucociliary clearance by restoring the structure of the ciliary epithelium and activating the functions of the bronchial glands. In addition, the drugs in this group have the ability to destroy the disulfide bridges that connect individual molecules of bronchial mucus. As a result, the structure of the secret becomes more fluid and during cough, it is much easier to withdraw from the bronchi.
- Mukokinetics - increase the contractility of smooth muscles that form the walls of the bronchi. Thanks to this, physical prerequisites are created for better sputum removal.
That is, mucolytics dilute mucus, and mucokinetics enhance its expectoration. All this contributes to the removal of accumulated sputum from the bronchial tree, which improves the ventilation function of the lungs and reduces the risk of developing a secondary bacterial infection. The main indications for the appointment of expectorant drugs are:
- inflammatory processes of the lower respiratory system (bronchitis, bronchiolitis, pneumonia),
- chronic lung diseases accompanied by the formation of sputum difficult to separate (bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive bronchitis, cystic fibrosis),
- congenital anomalies of the structure of the airways (Cartagener syndrome, lobar emphysema, bronchiectasis),
- preparation for bronchoscopy or bronchography.
Types of Expectorant Products Used in Wet Cough
Depending on the characteristics of the pharmacological mechanism of action, all drugs with an expectorant effect are divided into several groups:
- Pure mucolytics. The main mechanism of action is to dilute the sputum. However, some drugs of this group can additionally increase the synthesis of surfactant - a special substance that covers the surface of the alveoli from the inside and prevents them from falling off. Pure mucolytics include ambroxol hydrochloride, trypsin, ribonuclease, acetylcysteine, exosurf.
- Reflex medications (licorice syrup, mixture with althea, thyme and plantain extracts, ivy essential oil). Biologically active substances that are part of these medicinal plants, affect certain receptors located on the gastric mucosa. From here, this minor irritation is transmitted to the vomiting center of the brain, and from it to the nearby branches of the vagus nerve. This leads to an improvement in motor activity of cilia of the epithelium and sputum discharge.
- Resorptive drugs (sodium iodide, sodium bicarbonate, terpinehydrate). These drugs are removed from the body through the bronchopulmonary system, while causing irritation, forming the walls of the bronchi of smooth muscles and increased sputum.
- Combined funds (Ascaril, Bronholitin). Their structure, in addition to expectorant, includes other components (antihistamines, bronchodilators, anti-inflammatory).
It is impossible to unequivocally say which expectorant is best for a wet cough, since each of them has its own mechanism of action, contraindications, side effects.
Expectorants for wet cough in adults and children
The choice of expectorant should be made by a physician, taking into account the characteristics of the course of the disease, physical examination data, the patient's complaints, the general state of his health and the expected effect of the therapy being administered.
Most often, the following drugs are prescribed:
Consider these drugs in more detail.
The basis of the drug is represented by a substance whose structure contains sulfhydryl groups that destroy disulfide bonds in the molecules of bronchial mucus. The drug is effective even with purulent inflammation (manifested by green sputum). ACC is available as a powder to prepare a solution for oral administration, tablets and injectable forms. Contraindications to his appointment are:
- individual intolerance,
- liver or kidney failure
- pulmonary hemorrhage
- gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer in the acute stage.
Expectorant for pregnant women
During pregnancy, many drugs are contraindicated in women, as they can have a negative impact on the development of the fetus or improve the tone of the uterus, which can provoke a spontaneous miscarriage. Particular attention should be paid to the choice of remedy for wet cough in the first trimester of gestation. During this period, preference is given to herbal preparations (Gerbion, Mukaltin) or use folk recipes.
Since the second trimester of pregnancy, if there are contraindications for the treatment of wet cough, you can apply:
Recipes of traditional medicine in many cases have a quick effect in the treatment of wet cough. The most effective of them are:
- decoction of licorice roots,
- inhalations with eucalyptus oil,
- tincture of coltsfoot leaves,
- chest collection
- medicine with altea extract,
- decoction of sage or anise.
Sometimes patients have expectoration of sputum without coughing. The cause of this condition is inflammatory diseases of the upper respiratory tract. In this case, gargling with broths and infusions of herbs with pronounced anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties (pharmacy chamomile, eucalyptus leaves, sage) is indicated.
It should be remembered that herbal medicine can also be accompanied by the development of side effects and therefore should be carried out only as directed by a physician.
What is forbidden to take with a wet cough
We reviewed in detail the main drugs with expectorant effect. In conclusion, a few words should be said about which drugs are contraindicated for productive cough, accompanied by sputum discharge.
In no case should a wet cough be suppressed, as it contributes to stagnation in the bronchi of sputum, which is an excellent nutrient medium for pathogenic bacteria and can cause the development of pneumonia, lung abscess. Therefore, when coughing with sputum, doctors do not prescribe such drugs as Codelac, Codterpin, Stoptussin, Omnitus, Sinekod.
Very carefully, expectorants with a wet cough should be prescribed to children under 3 years of age. At this age, their cough push does not reach the necessary strength, and they cannot effectively expectorate sputum that collects in the bronchi. Therefore, for young children it is more justified to prescribe not mucolytic, but mucokinetic drugs.
We offer for viewing a video on the topic of the article.
The classification of drugs for wet cough
Cough is the main symptom of most pathologies accompanied by inflammation of the organs of the respiratory system. To eliminate it, apply:
- mucolytics - dilute the bronchopulmonary secret, without increasing its water content,
- expectorant drugs - increase the volume of water in the sputum, which leads to a decrease in its viscosity.
With a moist paroxysmal cough, bronchodilator (bronchodilator) drugs are also prescribed.
Antitussive drugs act differently - inhibit the cough reflex by suppressing the cough center in the medulla or reducing the sensitivity of the receptors along the respiratory tract. They are prescribed for a wet cough very rarely, as they can lead to stagnation of mucus and pneumonia.
Top 20 drugs for wet cough
Mucolytic - the best remedy for wet cough, which has diluting properties. Secretolithic medications help purify the lungs by expectorating sputum. Such funds are related to first-line drugs, which are used for colds, flu, bronchitis, pharyngitis, tracheitis.
Effervescent water-soluble tablets are used to liquefy mucus in the bronchi. They contain acetylcysteine, which has a long lasting effect. Taking pills provides:
- reduction of mucus viscosity,
- expectoration of sputum,
- neutralization of toxins in the ENT organs.
When wet, agonizing cough in adolescents and adults appoint 600 mg of acetylcysteine per day. Without a doctor's recommendation, the dose is not increased, since ACC provokes side effects - allergies, tachyarrhythmias, emetic urges, headaches, etc.
Primrose Herbion Syrup
Combined medication with herbal ingredients has a moderate antitussive, anti-edematous and secretive motor (expectorant) action. Used as mucolytic for sputum discharge from the lungs.
Children take 1, and adults take 2 scoops of Gerbion three times a day. If the productivity of wet cough does not increase, increase the dose on the recommendation of the ENT doctor.
Carbocisteine is an active ingredient of the expectorant syrup, which inhibits the production of mucus by the bronchi, sinuses, trachea, etc. It is used to treat cough attacks with:
- chronic sinusitis,
- back rhinitis,
Children drink 1-2 tsp., And adults - 1 tbsp. l 3 times a day. In the case of acute inflammation of the lower respiratory system, the course of therapy is up to 10 days.
Vicks Active MedExpecto
In wet coughs, adults and children use guaifenesin-based expectorant syrup. It increases the water content in sputum, thereby reducing its viscosity. With the defeat of the upper respiratory system take 100-200 mg gvayfenezina up to 4 times a day. In the case of purulent inflammation of the nasal cavity, it is recommended to combine the drug with other mucolytics.
Dr. Theiss' Cough Syrup
When mucus is difficult to separate, a mucolytic drug in the form of a suspension is used. It contains ivy leaf extract with combined properties:
- relieves spasm from the muscles of the bronchi,
- suppresses the cough reflex,
- reduces sputum density
- deduces mucous secretion from the upper respiratory tract.
With a wet spastic cough, drink 10-15 ml of the drug 2 or 3 times a day.
Лекарство с экстрактом чабреца, тимьяна и алтея обладает выраженными противомикробными, муколитическими и антифлогистическими (противовоспалительными) свойствами. Выпускается в форме:
Appointed to eliminate moist paroxysmal cough with bronchitis, nasopharyngitis, tracheitis, pneumonia, etc. The dose is determined by the release form of Bronkhostop:
- lozenges - 1 pc. every 3 hours (no more than 6 lozenges per day),
- syrup - 10-15 ml every 3-4 hours,
- drops - 10-20 drops every 5-6 hours.
The maximum duration of the course of therapy is 5 days.
Ammoniac anisic drops
The combined tool is used in inflammatory ENT pathologies, accompanied by coughing episodes. It contains an aqueous solution of ammonia and anise oil, which have the following properties:
- destroy pathogenic microbes,
- dilute and remove mucus from the bronchi,
- restore the cleaning function of the bronchi.
In the treatment of pharyngitis, whooping cough, bronchopneumonia take 10-15 drops 3 times a day, diluted with 1 tbsp. l boiled water.
Syrup softens the throat, reduces the sensitivity of sensory receptors and dilutes mucus in the airways. Contains ingredients of plant origin:
- extract from thyme,
- Thyme extract.
It is used in the symptomatic treatment of wet spastic cough with bronchitis, pneumonia, whooping cough and associated pathologies.
Dosage for 3 doses per day:
- 3-6 years old - ½ tsp,
- 6-9 years - 1 tsp.,
- 9-14 years - 1 tbsp. l
When treating children, it is necessary to dilute the syrup with mineral or boiled water in a ratio of 1: 2.
Licorice Root Syrup
Herbal medicine is prescribed for adults with respiratory diseases accompanied by coughing attacks. The extract of licorice root relieves spasms from the muscles of the trachea, bronchi, pharynx, and also facilitates the discharge of mucus. Children under 6 years old are recommended to drink 2.5 ml, over 6 years old - 5-10 ml of medication up to 3 times a day.
Mucolytic drugs with a wet cough not only thin the mucus, but also reduce the sensitivity of sensory receptors. Pulmolor soothes an unproductive cough, reduces the amount of mucus in the lungs and accelerates its elimination from the respiratory system. The tablets contain antiallergic component of loratadine, which eliminates the mucosa from puffiness. Adults take 2 tablets per day - in the morning and in the evening.
Mucolytic capsules have an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effect on the respiratory organs. With a painful wet cough, 200-300 mg of the drug should be taken twice a day. Mucitus is effective in sluggish and acute pathologies of ENT organs caused by allergies or infections. Appointed for the prevention of attacks with pneumonia and obstruction (narrowing) of the bronchi.
Combined tool has secretomotor properties. Used to liquefy serous or purulent fluid in the airways when:
- bronchial obstruction,
- cystic fibrosis,
- sluggish pneumonia.
It is used in the form of inhalations in 1 ampoule (2.5 ml) without saline or mineral water 1 time per day.
Dry Cough Syrup
Powder from dry and wet cough has mucolytic and secretomotor effect. Contains herbal ingredients:
- licorice root,
- Althea extract,
- anise oil
It is used as an antitussive and wetting agent with 5-10 ml up to 4 times per day.
The drug is available in the form of tablets, drops for oral administration. It has analgesic, expectorant and antitussive action.
- Drops. Children 2-6 years prescribed for 8-14, 7-13 years - 20-30 drops 3 times a day. Adults single dose increased to 40 drops.
- Pills. Children weighing up to 50 kg take ½, and adults - 1 tablet 4 times a day.
Stoptussin is used to eliminate cough in infectious and inflammatory lesions of the respiratory tract.
Other effective remedies for wet cough
Which tablets or suspensions to take when coughing depends on the nature of the disease. Mucolytics facilitate expectoration of sputum, which helps eliminate the factors that irritate the cough receptors in the respiratory tract. At the expense of it the probability of emergence of attacks and choking cough decreases.
For colds, these drugs are prescribed:
- Coldact Broncho,
- Evkabal, etc.
It is not recommended to use antitussive drugs in combination with mucolytics. This is fraught with stagnation of viscous secretions in the respiratory organs, infectious inflammation and related complications - pneumonia, bronchopneumonia, pleurisy.
Dry cough treatment
To relieve a strong dry cough, medications are prescribed that suppress the cough reflex in one of two ways:
- due to the oppression of the functions of the cough center,
- by reducing the sensitivity of receptors in the ENT organs.
To eliminate cough attacks, use Tussal, Sinekod, Ledin, Codelac, Omnitus, etc. When expectorant mucus from antitussives, they refuse in favor of mucolytics. The treatment regimen and the duration of the medication should be determined only by the attending physician.