Signs and symptoms of hormonal failure in women of different ages
The level of hormones and their balanced interaction have a huge impact on the state of the female body. Hormone failure is a pathology characterized by insufficient production of sex hormones.
In women, such a failure causes various diseases of the reproductive system and, in combination with impaired immunity, inflammation and sexual infections, causes a number of serious pathologies: menstrual disorders, uterine fibroids, hyperplasia, polyps and polycystic.
It is very important to regularly conduct gynecological examinations, because a number of diseases of the reproductive system are asymptomatic, without pain, bleeding and other clinical manifestations.
In this article we will take a closer look at hormonal failure in women, we will know its first signs, and the main symptoms that should be paid attention to. We will not leave unnoticed and topical methods of treating such a problem in women.
Factors contributing to hormone failure in women there are many. This is primarily due to the dependence of the hormonal status on the work of the neuroendocrine regulation of the CNS, which is located in the brain, and on the proper functioning of the endocrine glands, they are located on the periphery.
In this regard, the causes that contribute to hormonal disorders can be divided into two large groups:
- Causes caused by disturbances in the functioning of the central regulation.
- Causes provoked by pathological processes occurring in the peripheral glands. Malfunctions in their work can be caused by tumors, infections, inflammatory processes, etc.
So, we highlight the main causes of hormonal imbalance in women:
- Genetic predisposition. Congenital defects of the hormonal system is a rather complicated condition that is difficult to correct. As a rule, the primary cause for concern in this case is primary amenorrhea (complete absence of menstruation in girls after 16 years).
- Malfunctions of the endocrine system (problems with proper functioning of the pancreas, thyroid and adrenal glands).
- When using oral contraceptives, they are composed of hormones, so the violation begins, which first manifests itself in excess weight.
- Due to colds, ARVI, ORZ, hormone levels can often be disturbed. It is proved that those girls who often suffered from various infectious diseases have problems with hormonal levels in adult life.
- Malnutrition, when a girl is torturing herself with exhausting diets, when food intake is reduced, the body lacks the necessary elements with which certain hormones are produced.
- Diseases of a different nature, among which are bronchial asthma, polycystic ovary, uterine fibroids, cysts in the chest and frequent pain in the head (migraine).
- Surgery for internal genital organs in women.
- A strong nervous breakdown, stress (including chronic), depression - all of the above are often negative for the woman’s hormonal background.
- Overweight. The more extra pounds a woman has, the higher the likelihood that she will have a hormonal failure.
Such natural states of a woman as adolescence, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and menopause can affect the imbalance of hormonal levels, but most often the body itself restores the necessary ratio of hormones.
Symptoms of hormonal failure in women
The clinical picture of hormonal failure in women is directly related to age and physiological state.
In particular, if adolescents slow down the formation of secondary sexual characteristics, then in women of childbearing age, the main symptoms concentrate on the menstrual cycle and the ability to conceive.
In this regard, the symptoms of hormonal failure in women may be different, but the most striking signs of this pathology are:
- Irregular menstruation. Frequent delays of menstruation or their absence over a certain period of time.
- Mood swings and irritability. A woman often changes her mood, but mostly she is bad. The manifestation of anger and aggression towards other people, pessimism, frequent depressions - all this can be another manifestation of hormonal disruption.
- Weight gain Excess weight, body fat is rapidly appearing, and nutrition is not affected. When a woman sits even on a strict diet, practically does not eat anything, she still recovers due to a failure in hormones.
- Reduced sexual desire. It happens that when hormonal failure women notice a decrease in sexual desire and interest in sex life.
- Hair loss . Often the most common symptom of hormonal failure in women is hair loss, which is very intense.
- Headaches . Other manifestations may also be characteristic of hormonal disruption, but they are already more individual. For example, these symptoms may include: the appearance of wrinkles, fibrocystic formations in the chest, uterine fibroids, vaginal dryness.
- Insomnia, fatigue. Due to the fact that a woman's sleep is disturbed, she does not sleep at night, she is tormented by constant weakness, drowsiness. Even when a woman is well rested, she still feels overwhelmed.
Treatment of hormonal failure in women is appointed according to the results of a study of general hormonal levels. Usually, to relieve symptoms of hormonal imbalance, drugs are prescribed that contain those hormones, the production of which in a woman’s body is insufficient or not at all.
Specific and non-specific signs
All those signs that indicate the presence of hormonal failure in a woman can be divided into two large groups: specific and nonspecific symptoms.
The first group includes:
- problems with conceiving a child,
- increase the amount of hair on the body and the speed of their growth,
- menstrual disorders,
- a sharp increase in body weight with respect for the former way of life,
- uterine bleeding, not related to menstruation.
Non-specific signs include:
- woman's weakness
- fatigue even in the absence of objective reasons for this,
- frequent headaches
- sleep disturbances (insomnia or, on the contrary, constant sleepiness),
- reduced sexual desire
- dry vaginal mucosa.
As a rule, when such symptoms are detected, the doctor prescribes additional examinations to allow differential diagnosis.
Symptoms in girls
Symptoms of failure in adolescent girls:
- Poorly developed mammary glands.
- If the girl is already 16 years old, and she still has never had (there were, but very irregular) menses.
- Excessive amount of body hair or lack of it.
- Excessive thinness, long and thin legs and arms. Weight that does not reach 48 kg.
In many cases, it will be necessary to adjust the correct mode of the day for the girl and everything will go by itself. But in severe cases, hormone preparations may be prescribed, which are taken clearly according to the instructions.
Hormonal imbalance causes disruptions in the work of the whole organism, so if you do not recognize the cause in time, there is a risk of developing complications, such as:
- violation of sexual function,
- gynecological diseases of different origin,
- hormone-dependent benign or malignant tumors,
- atherosclerosis with an increased risk of stroke, heart attack.
It must be borne in mind that dysfunctions and many diseases caused by the failure of hormones are very difficult to treat. But if you know why hormonal failure occurs, and how you can cope with this, you can greatly alleviate such an unpleasant process.
Treatment of hormonal failure in women
Due to the fact that any violation of the hormonal background may lead to quite serious consequences, this condition requires mandatory correction. However, before starting treatment for hormonal failure, a woman should find out the reason that triggered a hormonal shift. To do this, you need to consult an endocrinologist, as well as a blood test for hormonal status.
Depending on the cause of the hormonal failure, treatment can be built on:
- hormonal therapy and / or treatment of genital infections,
- adherence to a special diet (for example, selenium-zinc for adolescents or vegetarian during menopause),
- sometimes surgery is required.
However, with hormonal failure in women, in most cases, treatment is associated with substitution therapy, in which a number of artificial preparations are used that are similar in structure to the secretion of the sex glands, such as Mastodion, Klimadion, Cyclodicion. In view of this, the appointment of complex therapy can be carried out only on the basis of laboratory diagnosis.
Also, great attention is paid to nutrition and exercise, adherence to the regime of rest and work. Women are often prescribed a diet that increases the consumption of fruits and vegetables, herbal infusions and teas, and other alternative methods are included, such as nutritional supplements and vitamin complexes. In some clinics in order to restore the balance of female hormones, it is proposed hirudotherapy, that is, treatment with leeches.
Everyone knows that it is much easier to prevent a disease than to cure it. Therefore, women who do not want to know what hormonal disorders in women are and should not have problems with them, should do the following as a prevention:
- keep a regular calendar of the menstrual cycle
- follow the nature of menstrual flow.
And the most important thing is to undergo a preventive examination by a gynecologist twice a year, even if there are no visible reasons for concern - unfortunately, “female” diseases tend not to make themselves felt.
What is a hormonal failure
When they talk about hormonal failure in women, they usually imply a violation of the ratio of estrogen and progesterone - the main regulators of the reproductive system. It also depends on them how timely age-related changes in appearance, general health status occur.
The production of estrogen and progesterone in turn is regulated by the pituitary hormones, depending on the state of the thyroid gland and other organs of the endocrine system of the body. The change in the background can be very significant, but it does not always mean pathology.
A surge occurs when the ovaries begin to mature (puberty), the background changes after the woman begins to live sexually. Colossal background changes occur during pregnancy. After childbirth, the level of hormones is gradually restored, and the state of the mammary glands and milk production depend on how correctly this happens.
The ratio of estrogen and progesterone varies significantly during the menstrual cycle, and there is a physiological pattern of such changes. The onset of menopause - this is another natural hormonal failure, caused by the gradual decrease in ovarian activity and the aging of other hormone-forming organs.
All such manifestations of hormonal failure in women are normal, do not require any correction. Hormonal abnormalities that lead to the development of diseases, impaired fertility and the appearance of pathological symptoms are considered a violation.
Factors that increase the risk of violations
Of course, such violations can occur at any of these stages, since no one is immune from diseases, injuries, stress. However, there are factors that increase the risk of hormonal disorders.
At risk are obese, addicted to diets for dramatic weight loss, constantly consume foods "fast food". The risk of developing pathologies is increased in those who use oral contraceptives for a long time and illiterately, taking medications containing hormones.
Hormonal failure can occur due to increased physical and emotional stress. At risk are also those who smoke, constantly use alcohol or drugs.
Hormonal failure is the cause of many diseases of the genital organs (endometriosis, uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, cervical dysplasia, malignant tumors), as well as the mammary glands (mastopathy, fibroadenoma, cancer). The consequence of hormonal disorders is improper sexual development, early menopause, miscarriage, infertility. Violation can lead to diseases such as diabetes, sclerosis of cerebral vessels, bronchial asthma, and heart disease.
Causes of violations
Symptoms of hormonal disruption often appear in the early years of puberty, when the production of sex hormones is not yet regulated, as well as during the completion of reproductive processes in the body. In reproductive age, the violation occurs after an abortion, miscarriage, with the refusal of breastfeeding. Lack of regular sexual life, pregnancy and childbirth during this period also lead to deviations.
The reasons for the abnormal production of female sex hormones can be:
- Disruption of the brain and central system (hypothalamic-pituitary dysfunction). It produces hormones that stimulate the work of the ovaries, the flow of the processes of the menstrual cycle, contractility of the uterus, the development of the mammary glands. Violations can be caused by the occurrence of a tumor, brain injury, lack of blood supply due to vascular pathologies.
- Diseases of the thyroid and pancreas, adrenal glands, liver, blood-forming organs (bone marrow, spleen).
- Inflammatory, infectious and neoplastic diseases of the reproductive organs and, above all, of the ovaries prevent normal cyclic processes, and hormone production is disturbed.
- Congenital pathologies of the development of organs and hereditary diseases.
Symptoms of reproductive impairment
Hormonal failure can occur even in young girls. The result of pathology is too early onset of puberty. With a lack of hormones, puberty will be delayed. About violations says the absence of primary sexual characteristics, the development of the body of the male type (hair growth, weak growth of the mammary glands, especially the figure).
Lack of hormones causes a decrease or lack of sexual desire, sexual dissatisfaction. One of the signs of hormonal disruption is infertility.
Symptoms of metabolic disorders
Metabolic disorders due to hormonal disruption is manifested by a change in body weight (obesity or drastic weight loss), which is especially common in diseases of the thyroid gland. An increase in blood sugar levels (diabetes), a violation of water-salt balance (edema appears in a woman) is possible.
Wrong metabolism causes a shortage of magnesium and calcium, which leads to diseases of the skeletal system. There are signs of anemia (pallor, blue under the eyes, dizziness).
Hormonal failure in adolescent girls
The absence of external sexual signs and menstruation in a girl over 15 years of age indicates violations. It should be borne in mind that small breasts, narrow pelvis, weak hair growth on the head can be hereditary signs. This also applies to the timing of the first menstruation. To find out the true cause of deviations is possible only after a survey of general health.
Hormonal failure occurs if the girl is small or she is too thin and is on a hungry diet. If the anomaly occurs in early childhood, then the period can begin at 7-8 years. This disrupts the development of bone tissue, the girl ceases to grow in height.
In many adolescents, the instability of the background leads to the irregularity of the first cycles, the occurrence of prolonged menstrual bleeding (up to 15 days). In such cases, due to anemia, the work of other body systems is disturbed. Signs of metabolic disorders is the appearance of acne on the face of adolescents, excess weight, stretch marks on the skin (stretch marks).
Disorders in women of reproductive age
The following manifestations testify to the incorrect production of hormones:
- The absence of menstruation (amenorrhea). This condition occurs due to malfunction of the hypothalamus-pituitary, adrenal or ovarian dysfunction, and disorders of the nervous system.
- Male obesity (Itsenko-Cushing syndrome). There is an accumulation of subcutaneous fat in the upper body. At the same time legs and arms remain thin. Formed striae.
- Too pronounced premenstrual syndrome (pain in the mammary glands, migraines, vomiting, swelling, drops in blood pressure, cardiac arrhythmia, depressive state).
Hormonal shift after abortion
Interruption of the natural course of hormonal changes that occur with the onset of pregnancy, leads to failure, which most of all affects the state of the nervous system. Many have depression, apathy. Hormonal failure often becomes the cause of tumor diseases of the uterus, ovaries, and mammary glands.
Signs of background disorders after childbirth
During this period, the woman gradually recovers her physical health. Hormonal disorders cause weak or no breast milk. Lack of oxytocin causes such complications as postpartum depression. This hormone is also necessary for the uterus to contract normally. With its deficiency in the uterus, inflammatory processes occur due to the stagnation of the postpartum contents.
Typically, the symptoms of hormonal failure in women disappear after the end of lactation and the appearance of menstruation. If irregularities remain, the woman becomes stout, menstruation comes irregularly, becomes painful. Character changes, nervousness, anxiety increases. The emergence of violations contributes to lack of sleep, increased stress on the body.
Signs of disorders in menopause
Hormonal background changes over a period of several years, during which a woman has impaired urogenital, nervous, cardiovascular, and other body systems. There is an involution of the mammary glands (they lose their elasticity and shape).
The strength of the manifestations depends on the individual characteristics of the organism. If a woman is healthy, then postmenopausal unpleasant manifestations disappear. Hormonal disruptions (hyperestrogens, hypothyroidism, and others) occur more frequently at this age than in youth, therefore the risk of developing malignant tumors increases.
Tip: At any age, you should consult a doctor if sexual disorders, irritability and fatigue, hair growth on the face occur, there is a sudden tendency to obesity or sudden weight loss, there is a decrease in sexual desire. Eliminating hormonal failure will help get rid of many such problems.
Diagnosis and treatment
If you experience symptoms of failure, you should contact your gynecologist and endocrinologist. Blood tests for estrogens, progesterone, hormones of the pituitary, thyroid gland and others help identify violations.
Such methods as ultrasound, laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, and methods of tomographic examination are used to determine the cause of violations. At the same time, the causes of violations are corrected and the hormonal background is corrected with special preparations. This takes into account all possible contraindications.
Contraceptive pills (Janine, Yarin), homeopathic remedies (Klimadinon, Mastodinon), and drugs containing sex hormones (Duphaston, Metipred) are also prescribed to restore the background. Vitamin and mineral complexes are used.
Causes of hormonal failure
There are many provoking factors, because of which a woman can change the level of sex hormones. First of all, this is explained by the interrelation of hormonal background with the functioning of the neuroendocrine regulation of the central nervous system located in the brain, as well as with the proper functioning of the endocrine system.
Given this moment, the reasons that can cause a change in hormonal levels are classified as follows:
- The reasons that were formed as a result of violations in the work of the central regulation.
- Causes that are provoked by the pathologies of the endocrine system. Violations in its activities are caused by the appearance of various neoplasms, infectious diseases, inflammations and other conditions.
So, we can distinguish the following causes of hormonal imbalance:
- Genetics. Congenital anomalies of the hormonal system are a rather complex problem that is difficult to correct. Usually, primary amenorrhea (the phenomenon in which girls over 16 years of age have no monthly periods) is the main basis for unrest.
- Endocrine diseases (disorders in the functioning of the adrenal glands, thyroid, pancreas).
- Reception of oral contraceptive means. Such drugs contain hormones, for this reason there is a violation, which manifests itself in the early stages in excess body weight.
- Colds, acute rotavirus and respiratory diseases. It is proved that such diseases, if they occur very often, can lead to the formation of problems with the hormonal background.
- Improper nutrition. If a woman is on rigid diets, practicing strict abstinence from food, the body begins to suffer from a lack of necessary elements, due to which some hormones are produced.
- Various diseases, including asthma, uterine fibroids, migraines, polycystic ovaries.
- Surgical intervention during which the treatment of internal female genital organs.
- Nervous overstrain, neurosis, stress and depression - all of this has a negative effect on the level of hormones in a woman’s body.
- Overweight. The presence of a large number of extra pounds increases the risk of hormonal disruption in women.
In addition to these factors, the imbalance of hormone levels can cause such physiological states as:
- puberty, childbearing,
But in most cases, the body itself restores normal hormone levels.
Symptoms of hormonal failure
What will be the clinical manifestations of hormonal disorders, is directly related to the woman’s age and physiological condition. For example, if girls in adolescence slow down the development of secondary sexual characteristics, in mature women the main manifestations are focused on menstruation and the ability to conceive a child. This means that the signs of hormonal failure are different, but the most pronounced symptoms that directly indicate the presence of such a problem are considered the following:
- Unstable menstrual cycle. Constant delays, or lack of critical days for some time.
- Increased body weight. There is a sharp set of extra pounds, fat deposits are quickly formed, and this process is not affected by food. Even if a woman exhausts herself with hard diets, limits herself in eating, she still gets fat because of hormonal disorders.
- Lowering sexual desire. It happens that when problems with hormones a woman loses interest in sex, libido decreases.
- Frequently changing mood, irritation, nervousness. A woman constantly has mood swings, but for the most part she is almost always poor. Anger, aggressiveness towards others, pessimistic mood, frequent depressive states appear - all of these often manifest changes in the level of hormones.
- Hair loss. Often one of the signs of changes in hormone levels in women is hair loss of varying degrees of intensity.
- Sleep disturbances, fatigue, weakness. A woman begins to sleep badly at night, suffers from constant fatigue and drowsiness. Even a good rest does not improve the condition.
Other symptoms are also characteristic of hormonal disorders, but they are mostly individual in nature. Among these clinical manifestations can be distinguished the formation of wrinkles, the appearance of cysts in the mammary glands, dryness in the vagina and so on.
Therapy of this phenomenon will be selected depending on the results of diagnostic measures. As a rule, to eliminate the symptoms of hormonal failure, the patient is prescribed medications that include the same hormones, whose production in the female body is insufficient or completely absent.
Therapy of this disorder is prescribed after the examination is completed, and they will take into account the detected causes that provoked a hormonal failure. Therapeutic measures should be aimed primarily at addressing precisely these causes.
If the problem is accompanied by instability of the menstrual cycle, the following medications can be given to the woman:
- Hormonal agents, whose action is aimed at restoring the level of hormones. Since all of these drugs have many side effects, and the reception must be carried out for a long time, it is impossible to do independent selection of medication in any case. The doctor is obliged, by prescribing a remedy, to determine the possible risk of negative phenomena in each particular situation. Single-phase or two-phase oral contraceptives are usually prescribed.
- Vitamin complexes, which must include calcium, vitamins E and A. These elements help to improve the condition of the hair and nail plates, normalize the amount of estrogen and progesterone.
- Drugs regulating the menstrual cycle (Cyclodinone, Mastodinon).
- Medicines that will remove the unpleasant symptoms characteristic of menopause (Klimadinon).
Operations are performed only if there is evidence in such situations when the use of drugs was not effective.
Many people prefer instead of visiting the doctor to carry out treatment with the help of traditional medicine recipes. It should be understood that such measures are allowed only as a supplement to the main treatment prescribed by the doctor.
Medicinal plants can be used to eliminate specific signs of hormonal disorders and use them for a short time.
Effective remedies for hormonal failure in women:
- Black cumin oil. Contributes to the normalization of hormone levels, is successfully used in the treatment of infertility, both women and men. Take the product should be dessert spoon. Before meals - to enhance the therapeutic effect, after meals - should be used by women who have difficulty with the digestion of oil on an empty stomach. Oil is allowed to combine with taking hormone-containing drugs. But it is important not to take them at the same time. The interval between doses should be at least three hours.
- Sage. It assists in the treatment of hormonal failure when there is a shortage of estrogen hormones due to the high amount of plant hormones that have estrogen-like effects contained in the product. This plant is widely used to eliminate many problems that are associated with a lack of hormones - the inability to conceive and endure a child, lack of ovulation, endometrial diseases. Infusion of sage, which is used for this purpose, is prepared as follows: chop the dried leaves, 1 tsp. raw materials pour boiling water and insist in a warm place for 15 minutes, strain through cheesecloth. Use the tool before eating 50 ml 3 times a day. At night, do not drink.
Causes of hormonal imbalance
In order to begin diagnosing a hormonal imbalance in women, it is necessary to identify a number of root causes due to which this imbalance occurred.
A woman’s hormonal disorder has a wide range of causes, ranging from minor stressful situations to serious surgical interventions in the body. It will be easier to restore health if you know what caused the violation. Below we consider the most basic causes of hormonal disorders in women.
The natural state of the female body, due to the cessation of the formation of eggs in women over 40 years of age. At this time, as a rule, the last menstruation occurs, after which the ability to conceive is reduced to zero.
The natural maturation of the girl, turning her into a full-fledged woman can be accompanied by a hormonal disorder. This can be expressed in irregular menstruation, prolonged delays, pronounced premenstrual syndrome. Not only the physical condition of the teenager, but also the mental one is changing.
Food is a source of energy necessary for the functioning of all vital processes. Improper diet adversely affects the human body, at this time the woman does not receive all the necessary substances and vitamins that contribute to the normal functioning of the body. Disruption of hormonal balance in women is often the result of various diets. The best diet is proper nutrition, having stabilizing properties.
Bad habits are considered to be, as a rule, smoking, drinking alcohol, drugs, etc. Many forget that leading a wrong lifestyle is also a bad habit, including: unstable sleep, a small amount of time spent in the fresh air, frequent use of a computer and other gadgets, as well as excessive use of coffee, promiscuous sex, etc.
Hormonal imbalance in women can cause the use of hormonal agents, most often oral contraceptives, in the case of improper selection. The main hormones in the female body are estrogen and progesterone, produced by the sex glands. These are hormones that are responsible for the reproductive function of a woman, her source of beauty: the condition of hair, nails, skin, sexual attraction. Estrogen and progesterone are closely related, and the imbalance of their balance leads to serious problems. Women who had previously taken oral contraceptives and stopped doing this often face hormonal disorders, as the level of female hormone production in the sex glands changes.
Any diseases, whether gynecological or infectious, seriously affect the body's immunity and also lead to hormonal disruption in women. This can also include diseases such as atherosclerosis, asthma, migraines, polycystic ovaries, uterine myoma.
Very often, overweight women, sharply and very thin, complain of problems related to the balance of hormonal levels.
One of the reasons - frequent flights, climate change and the natural conditions of human habitation.
It should be remembered that all factors negatively affecting the body cause hormonal disorders in a woman, the symptoms of which are described in our article below. How to respond to them?
Hormonal disorders in women. Symptoms and treatment
We dealt with the causes of imbalance, now it’s worth understanding how it manifests itself and what kind of treatment exists. Modern medicine allows you to quickly and effectively bring hormones back to normal, the main thing is to consult a doctor promptly. Violation of hormonal background in women has a number of symptoms, so any deviation from the norm can be felt at an early stage and prevented, without waiting for serious health problems.
Symptoms of hormonal failure
There are several signs by which you can determine hormonal disorders in women. Symptoms found in yourself should be a reason to visit a doctor.
1. The menstrual cycle. The first and most alarming symptom with which women are found is a violation of menstruation. This may be expressed in its absence (with the exception of pregnancy), profusion, scarcity, excessive pain, over-emotional premenstrual syndrome.
2. Fertility - problems associated with conception, bearing and giving birth.
3. Uterine bleeding - be observant and careful, sometimes bleeding is perceived by women as ordinary menstrual flow, which is not given due attention, which can lead to horrific consequences - surgical interventions and even death.
4. Emotional changes - frequent changes in behavior: excessive tearfulness, depression, irritability, restlessness, etc.
5. Painful sensations - migraines, frequent headaches, loss of consciousness, excessive overwork, low performance.
6. Mammary glands - swelling of the mammary glands, fossil sensation, discharge from the pectoral part of the breast.
7. Scalp - irregular hair loss on the head, leading to the formation of bald patches, the appearance of hair where it should not be: above the upper lip, on the chin, temples.
8. Weight problems - weight change in one direction or the other with the same eating behavior.
9. The presence of edema.
10. Pressure - an unusual step change in blood pressure.
11. Sleep disturbance.
12. Increased sweating.
13. Sex life - problems with questions in the intimate terms: reduced sexual desire for a partner, discomfort during intercourse, dry vaginal tract, unpleasant discharge.
Inadequate perception of symptoms endangers women's health and well-being. Вышеперечисленные признаки - повод для посещения врача в короткий период времени.
Гормональное нарушение у женщин, лечение
Having felt any changes in her body, a woman is obliged to turn to a specialist for help - to identify the causes of hormonal imbalance and find ways to stabilize the imbalance. Hormonal disorder in women is a reason to immediately consult a specialist. Early treatment can reduce the risk of developing serious diseases that cause dysfunction of the female organs. Treatment of hormonal imbalance will eliminate the problems and lead the body to normal functioning. This period will take quite a long period of time - it will take investment, patience and diligence in the struggle for health.
When a woman visits the clinic, the endocrinologist-gynecologist will prescribe an ultrasound examination and testing for infectious diseases. Based on the test results, treatment will be offered, often including hormonal drugs to stabilize the background. There are also additional methods of treatment: adherence to a certain diet, use of vitamin complexes. Late recourse to a specialist can even lead to surgery.
The 21st century is a time of high technology and new discoveries, including in medicine. Therapeutic drugs include such therapeutic agents as:
- "Cyclodinone" and others.
Hormonal disorders in women, the symptoms and treatment, which are discussed in this article, are a disease in which you do not need to self-medicate with folk remedies, herbs and follow the advice of friends and girlfriends. This is fraught with consequences and unpredictable complications, some of which cannot be prevented. Each individual's body is individual, each has its own set of hormones, which is revealed through complex analyzes. Do not hesitate to visit a specialist. Love, appreciate and take care of your health. After all, it is the most important thing that we have.
Causes of hormonal failure in women
The factor of insufficient hormonal synthesis, which caused the hormonal disruption in women, can be various pathological processes in the form of:
- Infectious and inflammatory processes in the endocrine glands,
- Anatomical congenital anomalies due to their underdevelopment,
- Surgery, injuries or tumor processes in the secretory glands,
- Hemorrhagic manifestations in their tissue structure,
- Lack of any blood supply,
- Deficit in the diet of vitamin and mineral elements,
- Insolvency of immunity.
Excess hormone secretion provoke:
- uncontrolled use of drugs containing hormones,
- various injuries (mainly the abdomen and head),
- pathologies of an inflammatory nature.
Disrupt the balanced operation of the grand apparatus system can:
- stress and hypodynamic states,
- chronic sleep deprivation,
- addiction to bad habits
- too early sex life, or its complete absence.
In addition, there are reasons for changes in hormonal levels in women, due to physiological reasons. This is facilitated by the reorganization of the background during pregnancy.
In this period, the synthesis of new hormones begins, to ensure normal gestation of the fetus. At the beginning of pregnancy, the synthesis of female hormones increases, and at the beginning of the 2nd trimester - decreases, since the synthesis of estriol by the placenta begins.
A change in hormonal levels occurs again after delivery. Pregnancy hormones stop being synthesized and they are replaced by the synthesis of the prolactin fraction, which stimulates the intensity of milk production. When a woman stops breastfeeding, the level of prolactin decreases and the body returns to the normal amount of synthesis of the main female hormones (progesterone and estrogen).
Medical abortions also cause a sharp imbalance of hormones. Endocrine glands stop the synthesis of a number of hormones. In response to such stress, the body responds with increased secretion of adrenal and sex female hormones. During this period, the female body is very vulnerable.
Concomitant pathologies and adverse factors against the background of hormonal imbalance can provoke pathological disorders in the structure of the ovaries - their tissue overgrowth (tekomatoz), tumor formations, or the development of polycystic ovarian processes.
Signs and symptoms of hormonal failure in women
signs of hormonal failure, photo
There are almost no specific, specific symptoms of failure in the balance of hormones in a woman’s body, so the diagnosis of endocrine diseases is not an easy process - signs of hormonal failure are similar to symptoms of many other diseases. Although several signs suggest that hormonal failure still exists. They manifest themselves:
Increased appetite, but at the same time weight loss progresses. This indicates an increased secretion process in the thyroid gland. Pathology manifests itself:
- irritability and nervousness
- insomnia and hyperhidrosis,
- tremor of fingers,
- heart arrhythmia,
- low, prolonged body temperature.
The lack of functional activity of the thyroid glands is characterized by signs:
- development of simultaneous obesity throughout the body,
- weakness (asthenia) and tendency to sleepiness,
- dry skin and mucous integument, including the vagina,
- brittle hair and thinning,
- chilliness and low fever,
In women of 30 years of age, hormonal failure often results from a disorder of function in the hypothalamic-pituitary system. What triggers the development of the selective process of obesity, when with thin legs rapidly acquires fat over the upper part of the body. Wavy crimson stripes of re-stretching the skin of the thighs, abdomen and chest glands appear.
The presence of such "metamorphosis" causes sudden jumps in blood pressure in women. As a result of the excessive synthesis of growth hormone (growth hormone), the appearance changes - the jaw increases, the tongue changes, the shape of the lips, cheekbones and eyebrows changes.
The voice gets hoarse, there is increased hair growth and joint pain. In the presence of tumor neoplasms in the pituitary gland, symptoms of hormonal imbalance are noted by the deterioration of visual functions accompanied by constant migraines.
The failure of the endocrine gland of the digestive system (pancreas) leads to the development of diabetes accompanied by pruritus, slow healing wounds, boils, constant thirst and polyuria (frequent urination).
Increased synthesis of androgens (testosterone) provokes hormonal failure in women with symptoms of delayed menstrual cycle, abundant menstrual flow, inter-menstrual hemorrhages, disturbances in the duration of menstruation. At the same time, changes in appearance appear:
- excessive growth of hair on the body and face of women,
- coarse, greasy skin
- regular rashes and the development of acne.
Signs of age-related hormonal failure in women are manifested by a mass of unpleasant symptoms in the period of menopause. This is due to the sudden cessation of hormonal synthesis of female hormones and an increase in hormones synthesized by the glands of the hypothalamic-pituitary system, glands of the thyroid gland and the adrenal glands. The manifestation of symptoms depends on the genesis of various disorders.
When the vegetative-vascular nature of the disturbances, the symptoms are expressed:
- hypertension and heart pain,
- bouts of tachycardia
- hand tremor and hyperhidrosis,
- hot flushes to the head.
When violations of the emotional form:
- excessive nervousness, bouts of anger and anger,
- depression of mood and tearfulness
- anxiety and depression.
insomnia is one of the signs of hormonal imbalance
- reduced attention and impaired mental productivity,
- sleepiness by day and insomnia at night,
- frequent manifestations of migraines and signs of vertigo.
Functional disorders in metabolic processes, manifested:
- osteoporosis - increased bone fragility,
- symptoms of hirsutism (hairiness in the form of a mustache and beard),
- slowing hair growth in the armpits and groin area.
Treatment of hormonal failure, drugs for women
When women develop symptoms and signs of hormonal disruption, treatment depends on which hormone deficiency is found in the body - one or a group. The treatment protocol is due to two directions - regulation of imbalance with oral contraceptives, or with separate drugs.
In the first treatment of hormonal dysfunctions, oral contraceptive preparations are used with different amounts of hormonal combinations - low-dose and micro-dosage forms. Sometimes, if necessary, long-term treatment is prescribed a mixed course of drugs, but a short course of high-dose contraceptives is also possible.
- Among the overdose preparations, preference is given to Femoden, Gestoden, Marvelon, Desogestrel, Regulon, Tsiproteron, Zanin, Yarin, Drospirinon.
- In the treatment with microdosing drugs, Mersilon, Desogestrel, Novinet, Loest and Gestoden are used.
Treatment of hormonal hormones in women with hormones, begins with an individual selection of medicines. What causes a certain complexity, since the treatment course consists of several drugs and it is important to choose them in such a way as not to cause a violation of the secretion of those hormones that are present in the norm.
- When excess androgen secretion is prescribed drugs "Dexamethasone", "Tsiproterona" or "Metipreda."
- For the normalization of the level of progesterone in the blood are assigned "Cropped" and "Duphaston"
- The estrogenic deficiency is corrected with the help of “Premarin”, “Divigel” or “Proginova”, and if it is in excess, “Clomifene” or “Tamoxifen” are prescribed.
These are just minor examples of the treatment of this problem, the specific scheme of therapeutic treatment should be prepared by a specialist doctor.
The prognosis of treatment depends on the timeliness of hormone therapy, which can prevent a lot of unpleasant pathologies: the development of osteoporosis, malignant tumors, atherosclerosis, leading to stroke and heart attack, to eliminate the real threat of infertility in women.
Table of contents
The term “hormone” was introduced back in 1902 by English physiologists and was derived from the Greek word, which means “impel, set in motion”.
Hormones are biologically active substances - substances that, even at low concentrations, have a high activity against strictly defined groups of cells of the human body.
Hormones are produced in the endocrine glands and flow directly into the blood.
They have a regulating effect on certain processes (speeding up or slowing them down) that take place in the human body, as well as on the work of both individual organs and their systems.
The level of hormones changes even within a month (normally, this occurs within the established physiological limits - maximum and minimum).
Hormones control major body functions such as reproductive, somatic growth and metabolism.
What happens to the body at the time of hormonal failure? What are its causes? Are there drugs for effective regulation of hormonal levels?
Manifestations of hormonal failure in women
The symptoms with which the body makes it clear that hormonal problems are occurring are quite diverse. We list the most common signs of hormonal imbalance, which may have varying degrees of severity and be present in various combinations.
Disruption of the menstrual cycle is the most common sign of the presence of hormonal failure in a woman's body. The consequence of such a failure may be a violation of the regularity of menstruation, its excessive profusion (or, on the contrary, low severity), as well as a strong pain effect.
Emotional disturbances may also indicate a change in hormonal levels. In this case, women are characterized by an unreasonable change of mood, unmotivated outbreaks of aggression, tearfulness, reduced vitality, apathy, and rapid fatigue.
A fairly quick weight gain without any changes in the diet can also indicate a hormonal imbalance. At the same time in the situation of hormonal disorders, the use of various diets does not give any positive results. Most often this kind of symptom occurs in women after 30 years.
Sleep disturbance, which can be expressed by difficulties with falling asleep, shallow sleep, which does not relieve from fatigue and drowsiness, as well as interrupting sleep several times a night (in some cases up to ten times).
Chronic fatigue syndrome can signal problems with hormones. In such a situation, fatigue does not go away even after a long rest.
Another common symptom of hormonal failure can be considered prolonged, exhausting headaches, and sometimes memory impairment.
Sometimes a hormonal imbalance is manifested by the appearance of so-called teen acne (and these manifestations are characteristic not only of adolescence).
Many women who have hormonal disorders, noted a significant decrease in sexual desire.
The emergence of premenstrual syndrome also indicates a possible disruption of the hormonal system. This can cause puffiness, nausea or vomiting, dizziness, pulse and blood pressure jumps, itching, and sometimes pain in the heart. Often the cause of this syndrome is a hereditary factor.
One of the periods when you can observe the occurrence of hormonal imbalance is adolescence.
It is at this time that the first large-scale restructuring of the body begins, when the hormonal failure is temporary and reversible. However, if a girl has not started to have menstruation after reaching the age of 15, or one (or several) of the above violations are observed, we can say that there is a hormonal imbalance, which requires the intervention of a specialist.
Disruption of the diet and diet during adolescence can also lead to serious hormonal disorders. In case of late treatment, the consequences for the body (including for the reproductive function of the girl) may become irreversible. To restore the correct operation of all organs and systems becomes impossible.
Nine months of pregnancy, without a doubt, are the time of rapid hormonal adjustment of the body. The female body undergoes large-scale changes, the main task of which is the safe childbearing and subsequent delivery.
After the birth of the baby, the young mother's body should return to its previous form in a fairly short time, including normalizing the hormonal background.
Hormonal disruptions in the postpartum period can cause serious disturbances.
The most common problem that is caused by hormonal disorders in the postpartum period is the absence or insufficient production of breast milk.
Inadequate production of such a hormone as oxytocin in the postpartum period leads to a weak uterine contraction, and thus to the formation of foci of inflammation and inflammatory processes.
The onset of symptoms of postpartum depression also indicates a hormonal failure in a woman’s body.
If after the completion of lactation and the appearance of the first menstruation, a woman notices the presence of such manifestations as: overweight, irritability, sleep disturbance, anxiety, irregular menstruation schedule - most likely the hormonal background of the woman did not return to the necessary rate and requires the intervention of doctors and medical hormone therapy .
Regardless of the reason for the termination of pregnancy (including for medical reasons), the woman's body responds to it with hormonal failure. The disruption of the hormonal system of the female body during this period is a consequence of the interruption of the already begun restructuring of the body, characteristic of the gestation period. However, it is impossible not to clarify that the earlier the interruption was performed, the less serious consequences, in terms of hormonal imbalance, may disturb a woman. Such hormonal disorders can lead to:
disorders of the nervous system, and, as a result, depressions, apathy, headache, high blood pressure and unreasonable sweating,
to the occurrence of serious, including tumor, diseases of the reproductive system organs of a woman.
Probably the most severe hormonal failure in a woman's body is transferred during menopause. The time of appearance of such changes, their nature and intensity are strictly individual. Можно сказать, что в подавляющем большинстве случаев первые проявления климакса появляются после 40 лет и может продолжаться до нескольких лет. Нарушается работа:
мочевой и половой системы (сухость и болезненность слизистой оболочки половых органов, недержание мочи, частые циститы),
nervous system (fatigue, confusion, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, sweating),
cardiovascular system (heartbeat, blood pressure instability).
Age-related changes in the skin of a woman are becoming more and more pronounced, which is provoked by insufficient production of female sex hormones - estrogen. The consequence of such a violation becomes brittleness and loss of streaks, a violation of the structure and increased brittleness of the nails, as well as increased dryness of the skin.
Other causes of hormonal failure
Burdened heredity. According to experts, the first alarming symptom should be the absence of menstruation in a girl after the age of 16.
Disorders in the work of such endocrine glands as the thyroid and pancreas, as well as the adrenal glands.
Problems with immunity, which are caused by the presence of chronic somatic diseases or past infectious diseases.
The presence of abdominal operations.
Stress periods, nervous breakdowns, prolonged violation of sleep and wakefulness.
The presence of a woman bad habits (alcohol dependence and smoking).
Woman's endocrine system - how it works
What is a hormonal failure?
The failure of the hormonal system can begin at any age, but most often it affects either teenage girls or women during menopause, when the endocrine system undergoes dramatic changes.
Hormones in the female body are produced by certain glands, which in medical science are called the glandular apparatus.
Some of these glands are directly related to the functioning of the reproductive system of a woman:
The pituitary gland is a brain appendage located in the lower surface of the brain. Responsible for the production of prolactin, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), oxytocin.
The thyroid gland is located in the neck, above the larynx. Responsible for the production of thyroxin, which affects the growth of the endometrium in the uterus.
Adrenal glands are paired glands that are located above the kidneys. They are responsible for the production of progesterone, a number of androgens and a small amount of estrogen.
The ovaries are paired glands located in the pelvic cavity. Responsible for the production of estrogen, weak androgens and progesterone.
If, in older women, endocrine system dysfunction occurs due to the consumption of ovary stocks and the extinction of the ability to bear children, the hormonal failure in girls indicates, on the contrary, that the body is growing up and preparing for reproductive functions.
Hormones that affect the female reproductive system
Estrogen - The common name of the three hormones: estriol, estradiol and estrone. Are produced by the ovaries and partially by the adrenal glands. They are hormones of the first phase of the menstrual cycle.
Prolactin - affects the formation of milk in the mammary glands. Helps reduce estrogen levels and inhibits ovulation during breastfeeding.
Follicle-stimulating hormone - produced by the pituitary and hypothalamus. It accelerates the growth of follicles in the ovaries in the first phase of the menstrual cycle. It affects the production of estrogen.
Luteinizing hormone - produced by the pituitary gland, stimulates the production of estrogen, provokes the rupture of the capsule of the dominant follicle and the exit from it of a mature egg cell. It is closely related to the production of follicle-stimulating hormone.
Testosterone - male sex hormone. In women, a small amount is produced by the adrenal cortex and ovaries. Promotes breast augmentation during pregnancy.
Progesterone - hormone of the corpus luteum, which is formed after breaking the capsule of the dominant follicle during ovulation. In addition, it is produced in large quantities by the ovaries and placenta if the woman is pregnant.
These are the main hormones that have a greater effect on the menstrual cycle than all others, which are also produced by the endocrine glands.
7 causes of hormonal failure
Hormonal drugs can cause a violation
Improper hormone production can be both congenital and acquired during life. Treatment for this problem will depend on what caused the endocrine system to malfunction:
1) Acceptance of oral contraceptives. Despite the fact that some gynecologists believe that oral contraceptives normalize the hormones of a woman, this is not always the case. After the abolition of pills in some patients, the endocrine system can not establish its functions.
2) Acceptance of drugs for emergency contraception. It leads to a strong hormone surge, after which the menstrual cycle may not return to normal for a long time.
3) Unauthorized use of other hormonal drugs. Funds regulating the work of the endocrine system should be prescribed by a doctor of the appropriate profile. Even if the test results show a deviation from the norm of any hormone, then it is not desirable to select medicines for correction by yourself. Only an endocrinologist can prescribe an adequate treatment regimen.
4) Dysfunction of the endocrine glands. It can occur as a result of their diseases, and as a result of anomalies of their development.
5) Age-related physiological changes. It implies puberty and menopause — two periods in a woman’s life in which the most fundamental restructuring of the endocrine system is noted.
6) Artificial abortion. Sudden cessation of production of hCG entails a violation of the production of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. Both drug and surgical abortions equally affect the endocrine system.
7) Prolonged stressful conditions. Affect the suppression of the production of the hormone oxytocin. Lowering oxytocin has an effect on prolactin production.
Pregnancy can also be a cause of hormonal disruption, but in this case, the body has programmed natural ways to normalize the functioning of the endocrine glands, which are activated after childbirth.
Signs of endocrine disruption
Under the sign in medicine refers to the totality of the manifestations of the disease, which observes the doctor. He is a clinical picture of the disease, relying not only on the data of medical research, but also on the complaints of the patient.
As signs of hormonal disruption in women, the following can be highlighted:
- The shortening or lengthening of the first or second phase of the cycle,
- Lack of ovulation
- Ovarian cysts,
- Cysts yellow body
- Thin or too thick endometrium
- The presence of fibroids,
- Disruption of follicle maturation process (regression of the dominant follicle, follicular cyst),
- A large number of antral follicles in one ovary, not exceeding 8-9 mm in diameter (MFN),
- A large number of follicles in one ovary, which are larger than 9 mm in diameter, but still smaller than the dominant follicle (PCOS).
Hormonal failure during pregnancy
The body undergoes changes after conception. From the day the fertilized egg is implanted in one of the walls of the uterus, the production of the hCG hormone begins. Increasing its concentration in the blood provokes a change in the amount of production of other hormones.
The endocrine system is forced to adapt to the changes that have occurred in the body, but hormonal disruption during pregnancy is a natural process that is necessary for successful childbearing.
But there are violations that can lead to the threat of miscarriage:
- Lack of progesterone.
- Excess testosterone.
- Lack of estrogen.
These are the three main hormonal disorders that pregnant women face most often. For their correction, the gynecologist will prescribe medication therapy.