How to remove a ring from a swollen finger - 10 ways
Ring - This is a favorite and very common female jewelry accessory. But quite often there is such a picture, when the fingers in the volume increase, swell and remove then the favorite decoration in the usual way is difficult.
The ring begins to press on the finger and bring tangible discomfort. Finding the impossibility of removing the jewelry from the finger, some of them start to get scared, panic, twirl the stuck ring over the phalanx and pull it with sharp movements. This further damages the finger and increases swelling.
It is very important in this case not to get lost, but to try to solve this situation on your own and without unnecessary panic. Below are several ways to free a swollen finger from a ring stuck on it.
Ring removal by eliminating edema
Reduce the swollen finger in the volume will help the following method.
First you need to lower your hand in a bowl of cold water or apply a cold compress on the brush and let it cool for 5-10 minutes. After that, you need to stretch your hand over the line of the heart and wait 10-20 minutes until the swelling subsides. The cold will allow to narrow the hand vessels, and the raised position of the hand will reduce the amount of blood flowing to the hand.
Thus, this method will help to quickly and without excessive discomfort to get rid of the swelling. It is important to know that the metal decoration itself should not be in contact with the cold, otherwise it will also narrow under the influence of low temperatures and then remove it will become even more difficult.
How to remove the ring yourself using sliding means
To remove swelling from the finger, an effective method is to use glidants such as soap, vegetable oil, oily ointment or cream, petroleum jelly.
Initially, the selected agent must be applied to the swollen finger and lubricate it abundantly. It is necessary to try to get this substance under the ring, then the effect of sliding will be much better manifested. This is followed by gently, rotating counterclockwise or clockwise to scroll the product towards the nail bed.
Removal of edema using salt bath
To remove the swelling will help the usual table salt, which is every housewife in the kitchen. To prepare a salt bath, you should take a small container with warm water and add 2 teaspoons without a hill of salt.
After waiting for its complete dissolution, you should immerse the hand in this container and wait 15 minutes. After you can try to remove the decoration in the water with your finger. To achieve greater efficiency, you should lubricate the finger with a sliding tool.
Removing the ring with a string, string or string
This task will also help to easily solve the usual lace, wax thread or fishing line. First, you should wrap a finger around them firmly around in a clockwise direction, starting from the nail bed towards the ring. Then skip the tip of the lace, thread or fishing line under the decoration and then spin the string with the help of this missed end in the opposite direction. The ring will move along the cord wound by us and is easily removed. The procedure is very unpleasant, but very effective.
How to remove the ring from the swollen finger using novocaine
This is a simple and affordable medication, which is also often used at home. To do this, use a napkin dipped in novocaine, which in the form of a compress is applied to the swollen finger. This medicinal product of external use in addition to its anesthetic effect also contributes to the small removal of edema.
After using it, you can also easily remove the ring from your finger. For this method, you can also use Troxevazine ointment, Lioton, Diclofenac and other anti-inflammatory drugs.
Removing the ring with a cut or pliers
This method is extreme and resorted to when others are ineffective. To begin with, a stick of ice cream or a few toothpicks are inserted between the ring and the finger. This will protect the fabric from possible damage.
Then, using a small file or nippers, slowly, carefully and carefully cut through the ring. This procedure takes only a few minutes and is completely painless. The only drawback is damage to the ring.
But this is not at all scary, because its integrity can be easily restored in many jewelry stores!
If a finger has been damaged during removal, the wound needs urgent treatment! To do this, you can use a solution of chlorhexidine, miramistin or ordinary hydrogen peroxide, then apply brilliant green and apply a sterile dressing.
Causes of Edema
Swelling of the fingers is not uncommon. Everybody has this symptom. And the causes of edema can be quite variable: from a poor lifestyle to serious diseases. As a rule, their occurrence indicates an abnormal condition of the body, that a failure or breakdown has occurred somewhere. Therefore, each of us should think about the origin of their edemas.
- A common cause of swelling is excessive salt intake, because it retains water in the body. To eliminate this type of edema, you should drink 1 liter of pure water for two hours and then simply limit the use of salt in your diet.
- A hot summer day or excessive physical activity can also lead to swelling of the fingers. High temperature or excessive activity of the body leads to the expansion of human blood vessels in order to increase sweating and cool our body. But along with the dilatation of the vessels, an increase in their permeability occurs. And this is already a direct cause of an increase in the volume not only of the fingers, but also of the legs, face and other parts of the body. To eliminate this swelling, you should cool the body by applying a cold compress or taking a cold shower.
- In pregnant women and in women during the menstrual cycle, due to hormonal changes, the fingers are also often subject to puffiness. Therefore, it is recommended during this period of life either to completely abandon the socks of such jewelry, or to purchase a ring one size larger.
- A recent injury may also be a possible cause of finger swelling. It leads to inflammation of the soft tissues, and as a result, edema.
- Often is the appearance of edema as a manifestation of an allergic reaction. It can occur as a result of an insect bite, the use of household chemicals or the use of some drugs. The body will trigger a cascade of reactions leading to the production of biologically active substances, such as histamine, serotonin, leading to an increase in the permeability of blood vessels, and as a consequence, developing edema. In this case, antihistamines or membrane-stabilizing mast cells are used. For example, Diphenhydramine, Diazolin, Suprastin, Tavegil, or more modern drugs such as Zodak, Loratadin, Erius, and Desal. They will reduce the production of biologically active substances, vascular permeability and, thus, will lead to the elimination of edema.
If these methods do not lead to the elimination of puffiness, then this may be the case with more serious diseases of the heart, blood vessels, kidneys, liver, thyroid gland. As a rule, they are accompanied not only by edema, but also by soreness, redness, stiffness. This requires immediate treatment to a specialist.
What should be done in order to avoid ring getting stuck on the finger
To never face this problem, you should follow these simple rules:
- You can not constantly wear jewelry. They should always be taken at the end of the day, before intense physical activity or going out on a very hot summer day,
- Accurate selection of the size of the ring is very important when buying it,
- During menstruation, women should refrain from wearing rings. Pregnant women should also refuse to wear them, or purchase jewelry for size larger,
- Choose the jewelry you need from noble metals,
- Need timely and frequent cleaning of their jewelry.
When do your fingers swell?
Ring - one of the most common jewelry. It is worn on the finger as an ornament or a certain symbol (in particular, the symbol of marriage).
People wearing rings often have unpleasant situations. It often happens, especially in the summer season, that fingers grow in size. This leads to the fact that the ring begins to squeeze the finger, turning into a tangible source of discomfort. Attempts take off the ring in the usual way may not succeed. Moreover, persistent attempts to remove the ring by force lead to skin trauma, with the result that the finger swells even more.
When a finger swells up, the ring starts to bump into the skin, which can cause inflammation. Such a vicious circle can lead to tangible pain.
Finding that you can not remove the ring, you can get scared and even panic. Take it easy. If you have not managed to remove the ring within a minute, it is better to stop - because further attempts may injure the skin, which will exacerbate the swelling.
Important! Fingers often swell in pregnant women. Therefore, during pregnancy, it is better to refuse to wear the ring at all, or to replace it with a wider one.
People in their long history have accumulated a lot of simple and affordable methods that allow you to easily remove the ring without hurting the skin. The following are the most popular methods for removing a ring from a swollen or swollen finger. Also describes the most common situations that lead to swelling of the finger.
1. Never try to remove the ring with sharp jerks. This will cause injury to the skin, and the finger will swell even more. Instead, slowly and gently twist the ring, gradually moving it in the right direction.
2. It often happens that wearing a ring does not cause discomfort for years, but one morning you found that it was impossible to take it off. The fingers look slightly swollen. As a rule, this is due to the inadequate consumption of salty foods.
In this situation, you should not attempt to immediately remove the ring - better wait a few hours. Use more water to remove excess salt from the body - by about the middle of the day the swelling of the fingers will fall off and the ring can be easily removed.
3. If your fingers are swollen due to hot weather, place your hands so that your hands are above the heart line. If you spend in this position for some time, blood flow to the arm will decrease. This will help eliminate swelling and help remove the ring.
4. A popular folk method is to hold your finger in cold water, then lift your hand up and hold it in that position for 5-10 minutes. Cold water and blood flow from the arm will remove the edema, after which it will be possible to easily remove the ring.
However, this method has the opposite side - the metal tends to shrink with a decrease in temperature. Thus, cooling can only aggravate the problem. To avoid expansion of the ring, you can attach ice to your finger, avoiding contact with the ring.
5. In some cases, the skin folds on the finger joint interfere with the removal of the ring. Ask someone to pull the skin of the finger down and fix in this position, and try to remove the ring yourself.
6. In any home there are substances that can be used as a lubricant for removing the ring without damaging the skin. Among them:
- petroleum jelly or lotion
- liquid soap,
- antibacterial ointment
- vegetable oil based spray
- just lather.
7. Sometimes wedding rings literally grow into the skin, resulting in swelling and pain. It is better not to bring to such situations, and remove the rings before cleaning or washing dishes.
In such cases, you can use the universal method of removing the ring. Thread the silk thread about 1 meter long into the eye of a thin needle. Carefully insert the needle under the ring from the side of the nail, and pull it out from the other side. Together with the needle under the ring thread will stretch. Now, with the rest of the thread, wrap your finger in such a way that the coils are tight to each other, leaving no gaps. The finger should be wrapped around the tip.
Next, take the short end of the thread at the base of your finger, and begin to unwind it. The thread will lift the ring up, and you can easily remove it.
8. Removing the swelling of the finger helps ordinary salt. Pour water (10-15 degrees) into the container, then add salt to it and dip your finger in water for five minutes. Saline will reduce the swelling, and you can try to remove the ring.
9. Perhaps the use of drugs. Apply a compress with procaine on the swollen finger. Anesthetic reduces pain, and swelling subsides due to reduced sensitivity.
You can also take an oral anti-inflammatory agent, but the effect will have to wait longer, and it will be weaker compared to the effect of local drugs.
10. If you have injured your finger trying to remove the ring, the wound should be treated with astringent antibacterial substances: ethanol, aloe juice, decoction of oak bark. Swelling should subside within 1-6 hours. At the same time, the feeling of finger numbness is possible.
If the next day your finger is swollen and badly bent, immediately go to the doctor. Toxins could accumulate in the finger due to swelling of the finger, which usually leads to boiling up.
When should I ask for help?
If the finger has acquired a bluish tint, it is better to immediately call an ambulance, a rescue service, or go to a trauma center, because there is a danger of losing a finger. You can also ask for help from a jeweler. Cutting a ring is much easier than you can imagine, and worrying about it in such a situation is not only stupid, but also dangerous - the ring can be easily repaired, and saving a finger is not always possible.
If you still want to save the ring, contact the jeweler. Before cutting the ring between the finger and the ring, a sheet of foil is passed through to protect the skin from injury.
If the finger is very swollen, and it is impossible to pass through the foil, it is necessary to consult a doctor. In such cases, contact the surgical or trauma department.
A physician may use one of the following methods:
- the doctor puts an anti-inflammatory injection,
- a harness is applied to the arm, and excess liquid is drawn from the hand,
- the ring is cut or sawn, however after that it most likely will not be subject to restoration, but finger injury is completely excluded.
Today tungsten rings are gaining popularity. They have a special property - they are almost impossible to cut. If you have just such a ring, there is only one way out - you need to fix the ring with your finger in a vice, and squeeze them until it cracks. At the same time you do not risk a finger - a tungsten ring is almost impossible to bend.
It is strongly recommended not to try to cut or cut the ring at home. Use the help of a specialist.
If for some reason the ring did not work, you should not panic and continue to tug the jewelry, injuring your finger. There are many different ways to get rid of the ring painlessly:
- The most popular and simplest method is to remove the ring, after having previously smeared a finger with petroleum jelly, cream, oil, soap solution, that is, with any “slippery” composition. The second hand is wrapped with a cloth so that it does not slip, and they begin to roll the ring towards the tip of the finger clockwise or counterclockwise.
- You can remove the ring from the swollen finger with the help of a thread. Pull the thread under the ring, you can do it with a regular thin needle. The long end of the thread tightly wound around the finger, and for the short - pull. The thread, unwinding, will gradually pull the ring up.
Tip! It is best to use a silk thread.
- If your fingers are swollen due to heat, hold your hands in cold water a little or apply ice to the skin around the ring and then lift swollen limbs up for a few seconds to reduce blood flow. Cold contributes to the narrowing of blood vessels, thereby relieves swelling.
Important! Under the influence of low temperatures, the metal tends to "narrow".
Therefore, no direct contact of the ring with ice should be allowed.
- Remove the swelling of the fingers can, hands down in saline. A few tablespoons of salt is poured into a container of cold water, and swollen fingers are put into it for 10-15 minutes. You can steam your hands in a salt bath. A tablespoon of salt is poured with a glass of hot water. Hands held in liquid for at least 15 minutes. This procedure effectively fights swelling of the limbs.
- A compress made from potatoes or cabbage leaves helps relieve swelling after bruising. Сырье накладывают на травмированный палец, забинтовывают и оставляют на ночь.
Sometimes the ring is difficult to remove due to an excess of fluid in the body, for example due to a recent feast with salty food and alcohol. In this case, it is enough to reduce fluid intake, and after a few days the ring can be removed without much effort.
After unsuccessful attempts to remove the ring with the help of popular methods, many panic. This is not worth doing, as there are several other ways to get rid of jewelry.
- On a swollen finger impose a compress with novocaine or procaine, or any anti-inflammatory ointment. Anesthetic in the composition of the drug relieves swelling, reduces sensitivity and pain.
Tip! Effectively fights swelling "Troxevasin ointment."
- You can put on the finger ointment from insect bites, which relieves swelling.
When to seek medical care
Some people, in vain attempts to remove the ring, cut the jewelry on their own to free the finger.
It is not recommended to do this at home, as there is a high risk of damage to the swollen limb, injury and infection.
If the ring is not removed, and the finger is not bent, severely swollen or turned blue, you should immediately contact the emergency room.
Experts will carefully remove the decoration, squeezing in a vice or sawing it. In some cases, doctors put anti-inflammatory injections on the finger to relieve swelling.
Important! Blue finger indicates a violation of normal blood circulation. Termination of blood supply to the limb may lead to its amputation.
Warnings and methods of prevention
To prevent this situation from occurring, it is important to follow simple tips:
- choose the right ring size
- periodically remove the decoration in order to notice in time when it becomes not enough,
- be sure to remove the rings before sports training, housework, etc.,
- do not wear rings in hot weather,
- take off the rings before the holiday feasts
- abandon metal jewelry during pregnancy,
- take off the ring when the slightest feeling of discomfort.
If the ring is “stuck” and is not removed, you need to calmly assess the situation in order to understand the possible cause of the incident. If the popular methods were useless, it is better to immediately seek the help of specialists. Health is more important than any jewelry.
The easiest and most effective way to remove a ring from a swollen finger
Why can't I take it off?
Why do situations occur when it is impossible to easily remove the ring from a finger? Most often women get into such situations, as ladies like to wear jewelry all the time, without taking them off even during sleep. But there are situations when men cannot remove a tight ring from a swollen finger.
So, people are at risk for the following reasons:
- Initially, the ring was small in size. It was tightly worn on the finger and could pinch the soft tissue, and therefore the blood circulated poorly and began to accumulate in the cyst. Because of this, edema appeared.
- Recently, you experienced severe stress, because of which your muscles began to contract and a large tone appeared in the muscles. In this regard, the finger could become thicker, and the ring is more tight.
- Very often, swelling of the arms and legs occur in women in the last stages of pregnancy due to improper diet or drinking excessive amounts of fluid. It is better to consult about this with a doctor who has you registered.
- The cause of swelling of hands can also be hot weather and copious amounts of liquids consumed.
- If you ate a large amount of salty foods in the evening, then in the morning your fingers may have puffiness. You need to wait a bit until the swelling subsides naturally. You can speed up this process by lifting your hands up.
- Puffiness can be a manifestation of an allergic reaction, such as an insect bite, interaction with household chemicals, allergies to certain foods. If you take antiallergic drugs, the swelling can go away and you can easily remove the ring.
- The cause of the swelling can also be considered interruptions in the work of the kidneys. In this case, it is necessary to consult a doctor for advice.
- A swollen finger can be the result of an injury — a severe injury or a cut.
I would just like to note that there are a lot of folk remedies for removing a small ring from a swollen or swollen finger. So with the help of one or several ways in a complex you can cope with an unpleasant situation.
Folk methods for removing tight rings from swollen or swollen fingers:
- Slowly roll your little ring towards the end of your finger. In no case do not need to do it sharply or with force to pull the ring. So you will further aggravate the situation, because you can hurt the skin, and the finger swells even more.
- You can reduce friction by treating your finger around the ring with oil (olive or sunflower), you can also rub your finger with soap, shampoo or petroleum jelly. Any remedy you find at hand is suitable, as long as it helps your skin become more smooth and supple. Take any cloth and holding it by the ring, scroll your jewelry towards the end of the finger. Without a fabric, the ring will slide off and you will not be able to grab it well to take it off.
Causes of stuck
It’s pretty easy to figure out what happened: you just need to analyze the situation and, slowly, think about what exactly led to it. Most often, the finger (s) swells (s) due to:
- Allergic reaction. It can be anything: an insect bite, household chemicals, food and other pathogens.
- The state of a woman is pregnancy. Do not worry, this is completely normal in this period of life. Most often this is due to improper diet and excessive fluid intake. Check with your doctor your diet and find out how much fluid you should drink per day.
If it has finally become clear that the ring is really tightly "stuck" on the finger and does not move anywhere, then try to calm down and not panic to start. It must be remembered that the ring will be removed in any case, some method will definitely help, even if it is the most radical.
The appearance of blue on your finger is a sign that it is time to take drastic measures to remove the decoration and release the finger, otherwise there is a risk of losing the limb forever!
It is worth mentioning another important rule: jewelry that is worn on the hands should always be removed at least for a short period of time. This applies to the time of water treatment, cleaning with the use of household chemicals, cooking and during sleep.
When a tumor is detected or it is impossible to remove the ring, many begin to jerk sharply or try to remove it from the finger faster - this is a big mistake. Try, slowly and scrolling the ring forward, push it to the end of your finger.
The most effective methods for removing the ring from a swollen finger
The most popular way to remove puffiness and remove rings with cold water.
Your actions: Place your hand in a container of cold water and hold it there for a few minutes. After this time it will be possible to see whether the swelling is asleep or not. If the result is positive, release the finger with slow scrolling movements. As a substitute for water, you can apply a cold compress or ice to your hand.
It is worth noting that under the influence of cold metal from which the ring is made, can narrow even more. If this happens, use another method.
The second option of ridding the swollen finger from the ring is the use of agents that make the surface slippery.
Your actions: on the finger, apply what can help the ring to easily slide off of it: cream, soap or soap solution, detergent (shampoo, shower gel), oil (any). Further, so that the fingers of the other hand do not slip, you can attach a piece of tissue to the tumor and rotate the ring with it. Usually this method helps from the first time.
You can try to remove the ring from a swollen finger with a string.
Your actions: take the thread (preferably silk or tooth), stretch one end through the ring, and wrap the other around your finger up to the bending joint. Pull the end of the thread that was threaded under the ring; as the thread moves, the ring should slowly and smoothly move forward toward the end of the finger.
Still, try first to hold the ring in the direction of the nail, but lightly press on the resulting skin folds. With outside help, combine the slow smoothing of the folds and the gradual scrolling of the jewelry to the end of the finger.
If the swelling on the finger arose due to injury, you need to take appropriate measures - put a compress. This is done simply: apply a bandage with a special medical cream. After a certain period of time, the swelling will subside, and the ring can be removed without difficulty.
If your fingers are swollen due to hot weather, hold your hand over your head: because of this, blood will resume normal circulation, the swelling will subside, and the ring will be removed successfully.
In some cases, you can combine methods to save a finger. For example, make a salt bath and afterwards use a lubricant to remove the ring.
If the above methods did not help to cope with the tumor, and the ring is still on the finger, you should contact the doctors. They will be able to achieve greater effect with the help of special drugs that remove puffiness.
The most cardinal way to remove a ring from a finger is to cut or remove it by mechanical action. Only professionals should do this, therefore it is better to contact a rescue service or a jewelry workshop for help.
- Wear jewelry correctly - remove them before bedtime or when performing any active activities.
- Carefully monitor your health - sometimes it can tell you about the problems in the body.
- Remember - no decoration is worth a lost finger!
In conclusion, it is worth noting that any problem can be avoided by having a clear head and not falling into a panic if the problem has arisen. Follow the rules of using jewelry, watch your health, and your fingers will not swell, and, therefore, you will not have to urgently remove rings from them.