Discharge with an unpleasant smell in women: causes, diagnosis, treatment
Changes in the nature of vaginal secretions can occur under the influence of many factors. So, to provoke a discharge of pink or pale red are capable of both psychogenic and physiological causes. But also their occurrence is characteristic of many infectious and inflammatory diseases requiring urgent treatment. And how to understand whether discharge from women is a sign of pathology or not, you will find out now.
The occurrence of pink discharge can provoke various causes, for example:
Conventionally, they can all be divided into two main groups - pathological and non-pathological. Consider in more detail.
Pale discharge may occur during different periods of the menstrual cycle. They can be observed immediately after menstruation, a week after they end and a couple of days before the next menstruation. It is caused by constant irregular hormones. Thus, approximately 4–7 days before the onset of the next menstruation, active production of estrogen occurs, with the result that a woman can observe a pink or brown discharge before menstruation. And after they end, the production of progesterone responsible for the maturation of the follicle is increased. And when ovulation occurs (the moment of release of the egg), the uterus becomes loose and this can also trigger a pinkish discharge in the middle of the cycle.
After the end of the ovulation period, if fertilization has not occurred, the estrogen production rises again and a pink daub appears before menstruation, which gradually becomes abundant and contains more and more menstrual blood, then menstruation begins.
All these processes are completely painless. In addition to the bloody vaginal secretion, the woman does not notice any changes in her condition. However, the discharge may be due to:
- Antibiotic treatment.
- Use OK (oral contraceptives).
- Frequent stress.
- Climate change.
- Abuse of alcoholic beverages.
- The use of vaginal suppositories (for example, Zalain or Diflucan).
Discharge when taking contraceptives occur due to the restructuring of hormonal levels. And it happens, as a rule, only the first 1-2 months of admission. Further, the body adapts to new conditions for it and discharge after the second menstruation immediately stops.
Moreover, pink mucus from the vagina can also be released in small amounts on the 8–11 day of the cycle or later on the background of mechanical damage to the vaginal mucosa resulting from:
- Instrumental gynecological examination.
- Rough intercourse.
- Improper introduction of hygienic tampons.
Also provoke the appearance of spotting in the middle of the cycle or at the end may be an allergic reaction caused by wearing close clothes, the use of cosmetics containing a large number of fragrances and fragrances, lubricants, etc. rash. As a rule, when it occurs, daub is observed for two to three days, provided that all this time antihistamines are taken.
Speaking about non-pathological causes of discharge a week before menstruation, it is impossible not to say that they often appear when a pregnancy occurs. In this case, the vaginal secretion acquires a pale tint and does not have a specific flavor. Some women for the same reason appear discharge instead of menstruation. And they can go for 4-5 days or more, which is also a completely natural process. In this case, daub instead of menstruation occurs against the background of increased progesterone synthesis in the body and is accompanied by:
- Frequent change of mood.
- Increased irritability.
- Swelling of the breasts, etc.
If the daub suddenly stopped abruptly a week before menstruation and bleeding started instead (in this case, red blood is released from the vagina in large quantities), accompanied by severe abdominal pain, an ambulance should be called. The reason for this may be a miscarriage.
It is also necessary to say that in those situations when the released pink mucus from the vagina acquires a brownish tint, this is also a sign of the presence of a threat to pregnancy, since the presence of dark thick secretions indicates detachment of the placenta.
Important! When a pink-brown vaginal secretion appears, pulling in lower abdominal pain and fever, you should immediately go to the doctor. All these symptoms point to the development of an ectopic pregnancy requiring immediate surgical intervention!
Despite the fact that many women have discharge in the middle of the cycle and the reasons for their appearance are different, one should not forget that pathology can provoke the presence of a vaginal secretion 10 days or more before the menstruation. As a rule, their occurrence is often accompanied by burning and itching in the vagina, the appearance of a specific odor and pain syndrome.
Thus, cheesy discharge, depleting sour flavor, result from active reproduction in the vagina of Candida fungi and the development of thrush. In this case, women often have menstrual periods with mucus, which is caused by damage to the mucous membranes of the cervical canal due to excessive fungal activity. And after monthly allocation become almost imperceptible. However, given the fact that thrush is chronic, when negative factors act on the body, after 4–5 days from the end of the month, the cheesy discharge from the women reappears.
The negative factors that can cause repeated manifestations of thrush are:
- Frequent douching.
- Climate change.
- Acceptance of antibacterial drugs.
- Improper nutrition.
Discharges before menstruation, in about 3-4 days, can also occur against diseases such as cervicitis and endometriosis. In the first case, the light red discharge occurs due to inflammation of the cervical canal, against the background of which its small capillaries are damaged. As a result of increased estrogen production, inflammatory reactions increase and besides the fact that women complain of a change in vaginal secretion a few days before menstruation, they also often complain that they have:
- Pulls the lower abdomen.
- Blood streaks appear in the vaginal mucus (pink mucus acquires a reddish hue).
- Pain increases with sexual intercourse or after intense physical exertion.
Endometriosis is a disease in which there is a pathological proliferation of the epithelium of the uterus beyond. And since after ovulation, the walls of the body lose their tone and become loose, with the result that women have a pink discharge before menstruation. However, they are scarce and do not have an unpleasant smell. However, as in the previous case, pink daub can be replaced by red discharge or scarlet blood, and in the abdomen periodically nagging pains occur.
Important! Endometriosis and cervicitis are very similar in their symptoms. And in order to make an accurate diagnosis and understand why the secret emerging from the vagina acquires a pinkish or scarlet hue, it is necessary to make an ultrasound.
It should be said that if a girl or woman noticed creamy vaginal discharge before her menstruation, and then there was a normal menstruation, this does not mean that you can postpone your visit to a specialist. Endometriosis and cervicitis are characterized by frequent remissions and exacerbations, as a result of which the symptoms subside, then begin to “beat” with a new force. And the longer a woman will delay treatment, the worse for her health.
There is another disease, with the development of which women have a pink smear outside of menstruation. And this is bacterial dysbacteriosis. With its development, conditionally pathogenic microflora begins to predominate in the vagina, resulting in symptoms such as:
- Irritation in the intimate area.
- The appearance of an unpleasant smell.
- Swelling of the labia.
If a woman does not go monthly, instead of them there appears a daub of brown or pinkish hue, the test is negative, and in the daytime there are nagging pains in the abdomen, then this may be a sign of the presence of a polyp in the cervical canal. These are benign growths that can only be treated surgically. And it is necessary to get rid of them as soon as possible, since, with their presence, blood during menstruation cannot normally pass through the cervix and it begins to accumulate in the uterine cavity, causing the development of stagnation.
Important! It is not worth hoping that polyps will resolve themselves and after a while normal menstruation will begin. These formations rarely disappear on their own and, in the absence of adequate therapy, can provoke the development of cervical cancer.
Scarlet secretions also occur as a result of erosion of the cervix. In this case, a woman can notice the appearance of scarlet secretions throughout her entire cycle. However, they often increase after sexual contact and a few days before menstruation.
In order not to torment yourself with the question of why pink or scarlet-colored mucus appears after menstruation and what they mean, you should immediately visit a doctor and undergo a full examination. If in the course of it any violations in the work of the reproductive organs are revealed, it is necessary to immediately complete a full course of treatment. If this is not done, the consequences may be adverse.
1. Normal discharge
After the establishment of the menstrual cycle, the amount of female secretions is subject to the action of the hormones produced by the ovaries - estrogen and progesterone.
In the first half of the cycle, before ovulation, the level of estrogen gradually increases in the blood, as a result of which the discharge becomes more abundant and watery, and its viscosity increases.
During ovulation, its amount reaches a maximum, it can acquire a brownish tint, after which relatively “dry” days occur under the action of progesterone: the amount of secretion is scarce, it loses creepiness, and therefore a woman may not notice it at all.
On underwear and panty liners, the secret either leaves no traces, or is noticeable in the form of small light yellow spots.
In the first trimester of pregnancy, normal discharge is quite scanty, thick, transparent or with a slight yellowish tinge. They do not smell and do not cause burning. Sometimes in the early stages of the days when menstruation should have occurred, there may be some minor bleeding.
In the second half of pregnancy, under the action of hormones, mucus becomes more liquid and viscous. Normally, it should also be clear and odorless.
At the end of the third trimester of pregnancy usually comes the discharge of the mucous membrane, which throughout the pregnancy protected the uterus from infection. It is a fairly dense, lumpy, transparent mucus with a whitish or grayish tint (often with streaks of blood).
This tube comes out immediately or in parts. You should contact your doctor if she departed earlier than 2 weeks before the expected date of birth, and also if her discharge is accompanied by bright red, copious secretions.
With the extinction of ovarian function, the amount of discharge from a woman decreases markedly, sometimes up to the onset of vaginal dryness.
Normal is the formation of a small amount of clear mucus, leaving small traces on the underwear and no odor (up to 2 ml per day). All other secretions in menopause should be considered as pathological, and when they appear, be sure to consult a doctor.
Transparent, odorless mucous secretions, in which tiny impurities or friable threads may be present, are considered to be the norm in girls. They should not cause irritation, itching and burning, the color of the vulva should remain light pink.
Around the second week after birth, a newborn may have a copious mucus, including with a small amount of blood.
As a rule, at the same time, the nipple engorgement and even the appearance of a turbid liquid (colostrum) upon pressing on them takes place.
This is the so-called hormonal, or sexual, crisis of newborns, due to the presence in the body of a large number of hormones of the mother. All that needs to be done during this period is to carefully monitor the hygiene of the genitals and body.
Next, the girl begins a period of hormonal rest, which usually lasts up to 7-8 years. At this time, the selection is minimal, so not noticed.
About 1 year before the onset of the first menstruation, the amount of discharge increases, it more and more resembles that of an adult woman, and then a regular menstrual cycle is formed.
Pathological for the girl will be any abundant discharge (with a smell, causing itching, burning, causing discomfort or having any other color and texture - greenish, brown, cheesy, bloody and others).
In girls until puberty, the main causes of their appearance are vitamin deficiency, immunodeficiency, intoxication, allergic diseases, metabolic disorders, endocrinological diseases. Only a third of cases of discharge associated with gynecological causes.
In women of childbearing age, the main cause of whiter is various infections, including infections that are mainly transmitted through sex (STDs, STIs).
The most common pathogens are trichomonas, chlamydia, gardnerella, human papilloma viruses, genital herpes, yeast fungi of the genus Candida, mycoplasmas, cocci, and E. coli.
In menopause, discharge is usually associated with atrophic vaginitis, as well as with oncological diseases.
3.2. Itching, burning and soreness
As a rule, pelvic pain is accompanied by discharge characteristic of an infectious-inflammatory process or cancer of the uterus and fallopian tubes. Moderate or intense pain in combination with purulent (mucous-green, green) discharge is observed with endometritis, salpingoophoritis or fistula formation.
Local pain in the genital tract is characteristic of a local inflammatory process (vaginitis, cervicitis).
Itching is typical of thrush (candidiasis), and also occurs in diabetes, atrophic, allergic colpitis, trichomoniasis, chlamydia, and other STIs.
Transparent, mucous whites on the background of intense burning and symptoms of general weakness, fatigue are characteristic of the period of acute genital herpes.
4. Beli with an unpleasant smell
Usually, an unpleasant smell occurs when various infectious diseases - microorganisms as a result of their vital activity emit chemical compounds with a specific smell.
Another reason for its appearance can be the decomposition of any tissue, such as a polyp in the cervix, a malignant tumor, or a tampon that has been forgotten in the vagina. Sometimes the smell of vaginal discharge occurs due to a violation of metabolic processes in the body.
Discharge with an unpleasant odor can occur in healthy women in the following situations:
- 1 Violation of intimate hygiene.
- 2 Frequent and unreasonable douching, unreasonable use of vaginal suppositories and antibiotics (leads to a change in the balance of the vaginal microflora).
- 3 promiscuous sex.
4.1. What to look for?
In pregnancy, due to the worsening of the smell, the smell of discharge can seem strong. In addition, it can be enhanced by the hormonal adjustment of the body.
If the leucorrhoea is abundant, has changed color and smells bad, then it is better to appear to the gynecologist to eliminate the inflammatory process.
After birth, up to 1.5 months, there are bloody, brownish discharge, which gradually brighten. Their usual smell is iron. If there is any other unpleasant smell, especially putrid, you should immediately see a doctor, as it is often observed with postpartum endometritis.
Discharges in girls normally do not smell. The appearance of smell indicates any pathological processes. Most often provoke an unpleasant smell violation of personal hygiene, worm infestations (pinworms), the penetration of infection when visiting pools, open ponds, allergies to fabrics, which made underwear.
4.2. Foamy whites
Transparent or whitish discharge, which foaming slightly, but are not accompanied by itching, burning, or an unpleasant smell can be observed in women during the day after intercourse and have the smell of semen.
Ample green, foaming whites are characteristic of trichomoniasis. Они, как правило, неприятно пахнут и сопровождаются зудом, жжением, раздражением вульвы.In chronic trichomoniasis, their number decreases so much that it may become imperceptible for a woman.
Foaming discharge of white or gray color is often found in case of biopagia, they have a characteristic stale "fish" smell.
4.3. Green and yellow discharge
As a rule, green or yellow-green color of discharge indicates infectious inflammation and admixture of pus:
- 1 Bacterial vaginosis (observed against the background of a decrease in the body's defenses).
- 2 Trichomoniasis.
- 3 Gonococcal infection and chlamydia.
Yellow leucorrhea of varying degrees of coloring is characteristic of inflammation of the vagina, uterus and its appendages - adnexitis, vaginitis, salpingitis and salpingoophoritis.
Among the infections that are transmitted predominantly through sexual contact, yellow discharge is observed in chlamydia, trichomoniasis and gonorrhea. At the same time, the smell of whiter can be quite harsh and unpleasant.
Sometimes the yellow color of the discharge is due to various drugs: for example, rifampicin, warfarin, the use of sea buckthorn vaginal suppositories, McMiror suppositories.
5. Bleeding outside menstruation.
Pathological are any blood discharge from the genital organs that occur outside of menstruation (except for the postpartum period).
They can be scarce and leave only small stains on the underwear. Excessive bleeding requires the use of sanitary pads.
Minor hemorrhages can occur during any inflammatory processes, beriberi and other conditions accompanied by increased capillary fragility and vascular bleeding. Another common cause is cervical erosion, its dysplasia, and polyp of the cervical canal.
Other typical causes are:
- 1 Violations of the hormonal regulation of the menstrual cycle.
- 2 Use of oral contraceptives.
- 3 Oncological diseases.
- 4 In pregnancy, a spontaneous abortion has begun.
- 5 Benign tumors.
- 6 Endometriosis.
- 7 Diseases accompanied by an increased tendency to bleed, for example, coagulation disorders.
6. Extragenital causes
As a rule, there are 2 groups of diseases that may be accompanied by vaginal discharge:
- 1 Causes direct damage to the genitourinary system.
- 2 Contributing to a decrease in local immunity and the occurrence of infectious and inflammatory diseases of the genital organs - bacterial vaginosis, colpitis, etc.
The first group includes various tumors that give distant metastases to the uterus, fallopian tubes and vagina, for example, cancer of the rectum and sigmoid colon, the bladder. In case of tuberculous damage to the tubes or the body of the uterus, corresponding symptoms may appear.
The second group includes various immunodeficiency states, infections requiring the use of antibiotics, diabetes mellitus, diseases of the thyroid gland, blood diseases, and others. In all these cases, with a decrease in local immunity, conditionally pathogenic flora is activated. With secondary vulvovaginitis and enterobiosis often occurs.
7. Diagnostic methods
If symptoms are found, be sure to consult with the gynecologist, do not douching, do not use vaginal suppositories before taking and do not try to treat them yourself. On the eve of the visit should not take any antibiotics.
At the doctor's office, be sure to tell about all the sensations that accompany the discharge (for example, pain, burning, itching, unpleasant smell), about all the drugs taken, contraceptives.
The standard diagnostic scheme usually includes the following types of laboratory and instrumental examination:
- 1 Complete blood count, urine.
- 2 Biochemical analysis.
- 3 Swab on flora and GN (from the posterior vaginal fornix, urethra and cervical canal).
- 4 Swab on oncocytology.
- 5 Comprehensive analysis of STDs by PCR (PCR real time) - PCR 12.
- 6 ultrasound, if necessary colposcopy.
If you suspect diseases of the fallopian tubes, the uterus is assigned to hysteroscopy, laparoscopy, MRI, CT. Relatively widely used radiological methods of diagnosis. Colposcopy is an indispensable research method for erosion, dysplasia, cervical cancer.
In some situations, for example, if cancer is suspected or endometriosis, a biopsy is required for making a diagnosis — a sample of the diseased tissue is taken for subsequent histological and histochemical studies.
Another procedure - diagnostic cure. It is prescribed for any bleeding, suspected cancer of the uterus or its cervix.
Other indications for curettage are endometriosis, the diagnosis of endometrial hyperplasia, miscarriage and infertility, and spontaneous abortion that has begun.
After identifying the cause of discharge with an unpleasant smell, appropriate treatment is prescribed. It is aimed at eliminating the disease, as well as alleviating the general condition of the woman - eliminating itching, burning, redness and other complaints.
Highlight healthy women
Mucus is considered the body's natural defensive response. It is produced by special glands of the reproductive system. Depending on the period of the cycle, the intensity of secretion varies significantly.
In the absence of health problems, the smell of discharge is barely perceptible. They are mostly colorless and have a mucous consistency.. With the onset of the second phase of the cycle, an increase in volume is noted.
Signs that whitish, odorless, without itching are the norm are the following characteristics:
- the stain that appears on the daily panty, in diameter not more than 5 cm,
- the consistency is thick, but not excessive,
- barely noticeable sourish flavor
- the presence of lumps up to 4 mm,
- no discomfort, pain.
Similar symptoms are caused by physiological reasons. If no associated clinical manifestations are observed, then there is no cause for concern.
Physiological causes of odor
There are a number of factors, under the influence of which the discharge smell. Among them are the following:
- intimate intimacy. The sebaceous glands, localized in the region of the labia minora, begin vigorous activity and produce substances with a specific aroma,
- non-compliance with personal hygiene. Genitalia need to be washed twice a day using special means. If such actions are not performed, then the vaginal secretion accumulates, pathogenic microflora begins to form. As a result, there is an unpleasant smell of female secretions,
- frequent douching. Such manipulations lead to disruption of microflora and the appearance of similar symptoms,
- immunity oppression. Respiratory diseases and the improper organization of the diet,
- drug therapy using potent drugs,
- hormonal imbalance. Symptomatology is observed on the background of menopause, pregnancy, abortive activities,
- exposure to stress.
So that the liquid from the vagina with an unpleasant odor no longer appears, it is enough to eliminate the reason for which it originated.
Often, women appear white, yellow, green or brown discharge with an unpleasant odor. They can give vinegar, iron, sour milk or have the smell of fish. Such changes indicate the beginning of the pathological process. Equally important when making a diagnosis is associated symptoms.
Causes of discharge in women with a pungent smell are often rooted in the development of candidiasis. Their aroma in thrush is sour, the color is white, and the texture is curdled. Concomitant symptoms in this pathology are itching and burning in the intimate area.
Candida fungi provoke the development of the disease, which are always present in the vaginal microflora and when creating favorable conditions actively proliferate. With an excessive increase in their number there is an unpleasant smell of discharge in women. The following factors contribute to the onset of the pathological process:
- suppressing the activity of the body’s defensive functions,
- hormonal changes,
- stressful situations
- improper organization of the diet.
If proper treatment is not carried out, the disease progresses, and as a result, the intestines and the bladder are affected.
Thrush is not considered a dangerous disease, but can cause a lot of discomfort and provoke the development of complications. For this reason, she needs urgent treatment.
Normally, the basis of the vaginal microflora consists of lactobacilli, creating an acidic environment that protects against pathogenic microorganisms. At the same time in the vagina there are also other bacteria - gardnerella.
If lactobacilli are reduced in quantity, then their place is taken by pathogens, and this in turn leads to the development of gardnerellosis. As a result - a specific fishy smell of discharge in women.
With gardnerella (bacterial vaginosis) the following changes are noted:
- abundant grayish cheesy whites,
- discharge from women with an unpleasant smell, rotten slime,
- alkaline vaginal microflora.
The disease needs treatment. Against this background, the risk of an onset of the inflammatory process, affecting both the external organs of the urogenital system and internal ones, increases. For this reason, the appearance of sweet aroma, the smell of iron or fish should be the reason for an immediate visit to the gynecologist.
If an uncharacteristic onion or putrid odor emanates from the genital organs, the infection of the reproductive system can be suspected. Depending on the disease, a vaginal secretion will have certain characteristics:
- with gonorrhea - scanty secretion of light color, smell like rot,
- trichomoniasis is a frothy green or yellow liquid with a specific aroma, often similar to acetone,
- Chlamydia - yellow or white discharge smell of fish,
- ureaplasmosis - foul-smelling light brown whites.
Accompanying clinical manifestations of STDs are considered to be burning and itching, redness in the intimate area and problems with urination.
The development of this disease is due to abnormal growth of the uterine layer of the endometrium. At the initial stage of the pathology marked white discharge with small streaks of blood. In the presence of cervical erosion, the development of inflammatory or infectious diseases associated with endometriosis, the whites acquire a harsh sweet or putrid odor.
In case of endometriosis, mucus can be of a different nature, therefore we recommend to get acquainted with additional information on this topic.
Additional symptoms in this pathology are the following:
- pain in the abdomen, aggravated by intimacy,
- violation of the menstruation cycle,
- the appearance of bleeding outside the period of menstruation.
Endometriosis treatment is performed surgically.
Treatment after the diagnosis of the disease
When a secret appears with an uncharacteristic scent, treatment should be started without delay. Such changes indicate the development of pathology. After the diagnosis, the doctor prescribes certain groups of drugs. Depending on the identified disease, the following are applied:
- Antibacterial agents. Inhibit the activity of pathogenic microorganisms and contribute to their elimination. They are appointed in the form of tablets or candles. When using topical medications, it is possible to speed up the process of therapy. Systemic drugs can disrupt the normal intestinal microflora, so prebiotics are prescribed in combination with them.
- Lactic acid. It is needed to restore the vaginal microflora and eliminate the secretion excreted with a metallic or other specific odor.
- Hormonal medications. Assigned to the need for correction of background hormones.
- Drugs that contain ascorbic acid. With this substance, the activity of bacteria is suppressed.
In addition to taking medications, the adjustment of the diet. In the fight against secretions with a specific flavor, a well-chosen menu provides substantial assistance. It is necessary to include a large amount of fermented milk products, preferably home-made, and not store options. The use of garlic with antibacterial and antifungal properties will also be useful.
No less important point is the drinking mode. The abundant amount of liquid helps to quickly wash out the pathogenic microflora, as well as excreting toxins, toxins and sugar from the body.
Drug therapy is carried out under strict medical supervision. A woman must comply with all regulations. It is strictly forbidden to interrupt the course of treatment and replace the drug without the approval of these actions by the gynecologist. As a consequence, serious complications can develop.
In combating secretion with a rotten, uncharacteristic odor, traditional methods can be used in combination with medications:
- Immortelle. A tablespoon of pre-dried and crushed inflorescences pour 200 ml of boiling water and bring to a boil, then insist for another half hour. Drug filter and drink only a teaspoon before each meal.
- Conifer needles. Glass needles need to fill with 3 liters of water and boil for at least half an hour. After cooling the broth, it should be filtered and poured into a basin of water to take a sitz bath. The duration of the manipulation is at least 20 minutes.
- Garlic. It must be cleaned, pour boiling water and bring to a boil. Soak the liquid on the stove for about five minutes, then cool and add a teaspoon of vinegar. Use the resulting fluid to daily irrigate the vagina. Therapy in this way is 10 days.
- Hypericum To prepare the infusion, you need to add just 100 grams of plants to 2 liters of water and boil for 30 minutes. The resulting medication should be filtered and used for douching.
In the case of the use of folk remedies need to remember that they can cause allergies. Before using them, be sure to consult with a gynecologist. Self-medication can significantly aggravate the situation, and as a result, the disease will become chronic. Dealing with it will be much more difficult.
Vaginal secretion normally has only a faint odor. The presence of a strong odor in most cases indicates that the body began a pathological process. Such symptoms should not be overlooked. When it appears, an urgent medical consultation is needed.
Indications for use of vaginal suppositories
A wide range of action candles allows you to use them in the treatment of most gynecological diseases.
Most often, patients complain of vaginal discharge with an unpleasant odor. Such a sign is inherent in almost any violation of the microflora, and for the correct diagnosis of it alone, of course, is not enough. However, such a symptom is a reason to conduct an appropriate examination.
By themselves, the selection can be of various abundance, texture, color and smell. The characteristic features of these factors allow the doctor to suspect a particular type of pathological process.
It should be remembered that bright or transparent discharge, not accompanied by other discomfort manifestations - no reason to worry. This is a completely normal phenomenon, symbolizing the proper operation of the secretory glands.
Blood or brown discharge may also periodically appear in a woman during ovulation or before the menstrual cycle. But we must remember that this phenomenon is short-lived and should not be abundant or cause pain, itching, burning, etc.
If the sexual secret has acquired a completely uncharacteristic shade (yellow, green, orange), you should immediately contact a gynecologist.
An unpleasant odor (putrid, fishy, sour) and other negative symptoms also indicate infection.
Pinkish discharge is also not necessarily a symptom of pathology, unless, of course, it causes serious discomfort. A small amount of blood in the mucus can lead to this shade. A similar phenomenon is often observed during the implantation period of pregnancy or on the days of expected menstruation after conception.
Follow the link to know how approximately the discharge looks at implantation of the ovum.
In other cases, when the discomfort becomes apparent, or you yourself are suspicious, you should consult a clinic. If the test results show any pathogen (bacterial or viral infection), disease, inflammation, the doctor will prescribe the appropriate therapy, which very rarely goes without using vaginal suppositories.
These drugs most quickly and effectively eliminate the symptoms, because they act directly on the site of the disease.
Помимо удобства в использовании можно выделить еще одно явное преимущество свечей перед таблетками – отсутствие контакта с желудком и печенью. Этот факт снижает вредное воздействие на внутренние органы, а также позволяет избежать множества побочных эффектов.
Suppository Use Rules
How to use candles?
Before you enter the drug you need to wash your hands with soap and wash.
Now you can open the package with clean hands.
Inject medication in the supine position.
In order for the treatment of pathological discharge in women is most successful, you need to follow a number of rules on the use of vaginal suppositories:
Inject medication exclusively at night
Due to the fact that local preparations are most often made from natural fats or glycerin, they tend to dissolve quickly and flow out of the vagina. In order to absorb the active components, they need to “stay” inside as long as possible. For this, nighttime is most suitable when mobility is limited.
It is necessary to observe a balanced diet.
Irrational or unhealthy food - this is one of the main factors weakening the immune system, which, in turn, has an adverse effect on the vaginal microflora. In the female body closely related digestive system and genital organs. So, the frequent use of yeast or butter products can create a favorable environment for the reproduction of the fungus, which is the causative agent of a fairly frequent disease - candidiasis (thrush).
To refuse from bad habits
Alcohol consumption is often completely contraindicated during the treatment of a disease, infection. Ignore this rule is not worth it, because the interaction of alcohol and the active components of the drug can cause harmful effects on the body. Smoking and other bad habits significantly weaken the immune system, which can delay therapy for a long time.
In some cases, in addition to candles, additional drugs are prescribed (tablets, ointments, douching, etc.). It depends on the disease, its severity and the individual characteristics of the woman. Do not pull on a trip to the gynecologist if you notice any symptoms uncharacteristic for a healthy organism. At the initial stage, many diseases are easier to treat.
Popular types of candles from the selection
Regarding what to treat this or that sore, it is necessary to consult with your doctor. Not all drugs, even pharmacologically similar, have the same effect on different pathogens.
Such can only be determined by analysis. So try not to use vaginal suppositories that your friends and acquaintances will recommend to you. What helped one woman may not fit the other.
Below we offer the most popular names for topical drugs for women:
Clindacin - affects gardnerella, streptococci, staphylococcus and some other pathogens.
Gynoflor - is used more often to restore the vaginal microflora after complex therapy.
Fluomizin - has a wide range of actions from the treatment of bacterial infections (vaginosis, candidiasis) to the rehabilitation of the vagina before childbirth and surgery.
Klion-D is prescribed for the treatment of candidiasis, trichomoniasis, vaginitis, however, they change the environment in the vagina to alkaline, which necessitates the use of additional drugs. In connection with this influence, many women also notice unusual discharge after Klion D. The use of Klion D candles during menstruation is possible.
Terzhinan, like the above-described drug, aggressively affects the microflora, and is often used in the treatment of fungal diseases. Before you start a drug treatment, learn about all its features, including whether you can take Terzhinan during menstruation, if the treatment coincides with the beginning of the cycle.
Neo-Penotran - used in the treatment of trichomoniasis, mycosis, sold in the form of vaginal tablets and suppositories. According to the instructions, there are practically no side effects, but women observe a temporary secretion of an indefinite nature when using suppositories of Neo-Penotran, including spotting. It is also possible to use Neo-Penotran forte during menstruation.
Lomeksin - one of the most popular drugs for the treatment of thrush.
Pimafucin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that is active against many fungal pathogens and Trichomonas.
Hexicon - prophylactic suppositories, often used after unprotected intercourse in order to avoid infection with an STI, for sanitation of the vagina before childbirth, installation of the helix, abortion, etc. It is possible to use Hexicon during menstruation. The use of the drug during pregnancy can cause pink, yellow and bloody discharge after Hexicon.
Livarol - antifungal agent of a wide range, has an impact on almost all types of pathogens of thrush. If you are prescribed this drug, we advise you to read the article: "Causes of discharge after Livarol".
Use of suppositories during pregnancy
In the period of childbearing, the female body is subject to various infections and dysbacteriosis. This phenomenon can be changed by a sharp change in hormonal levels. Any pathological processes during pregnancy should be noticed and cured in time, because they can affect the health of the mother and child.
The use of candles in this case is considered the most benign treatment option. However, only the attending physician should select the drug. Most medicines have limitations for use by pregnant women in any period or trimester.
If an unpleasant smell from the vagina, uncharacteristic discharge, or any other negative symptom occurs, you should immediately contact your gynecologist. He will select the most appropriate drugs. Among these, the Hexicon, Terzhinan, Polygenax and Betadine are often found. They are not absorbed into the blood and can not affect the fetus. However, these candles have their own limitations on the duration of pregnancy, so you should not assign them yourself and without test results. In addition, women often complain about the emergence of uncertain secretion in the background of the use of candles. Read in our article what can be the selection after Betadine and their causes.
Selections after applying candles
Treatment with local drugs affects the vaginal microflora. Some drugs act very aggressively, which can cause a variety of discharge after the candles. This is usually the result of the use of drugs with a wide spectrum of action. Before using them, you should carefully review the side effects, and it is better to consult with a gynecologist in advance about their account. With the right approach, such an outcome can be avoided by prescribing a complex therapy.
It is also necessary to take into account the fact that the cure of many gynecological diseases and infections does not occur simultaneously. Only candles sometimes can not cope with one or another pathogen. Therefore, it is necessary to take into account the rules that have been described above (eat a balanced diet, give up bad habits, avoid sexual contact). This will help the body to quickly restore healthy microflora.
During the course of treatment with suppositories, the discharge may become slightly more abundant, this is normal if you additionally do not experience severe burning and itching inside the vagina. Such signs may indicate individual intolerance to the components of the drug. This should be reported to the doctor so that he picked up other drugs.
Sometimes it is possible to observe the presence of white discharge after the candles during the treatment of thrush, when the woman neglects the additional rules of nutrition and hygiene. This suggests that the environment in the vagina remains favorable for the growth of bacteria. After completing the course, you must pass repeated tests and find out how effective the therapy has been.
The presence of bleeding after the candles can be a sign of one of the following phenomena:
- start / end of menstruation - it is necessary to clarify whether it is possible to introduce candles during this period by a gynecologist,
- the presence of an intrauterine device inside during treatment - there may be a subtle discharge of a blood shade without accompanying negative symptoms,
- pathology of the cervix (erosion, cancer) - abundant pink or red discharge after insertion of candles, tend to increase after intercourse,
- adenomyosis, endometriosis or irregular menstruation.
Do not pull in such cases with the appeal to the doctor and do not wait for the end of the therapeutic course. It is better to be safe once again than to face even more complications.
Smell is not associated with diseases
Vaginal discharge with odor can be caused by external or internal factors that are not associated with the formation of any disease. Among them are:
- Sexual arousal. During this, the sebaceous glands are located, located at the base of the labia minora. From the substances they produce is an unpleasant smell.
- Non-compliance with the standards of individual hygiene. The labia must be rinsed daily with specialized detergents. Otherwise, the natural vaginal secretions are concentrated, pathogenic microflora can develop in them, which leads to a strong odor.
- Improper preventive measures. With illiterate or too frequent douching, the normal microflora of the vagina is disturbed. This may trigger an odorless discharge.
- The problem may be associated with a sharp decrease in the protective functions of the body. This often occurs during illness or deterioration in nutrition.
- Treatment with potent drugs.
- Violation of hormonal background. There may be discharge during pregnancy, menopause, after an abortion, or in case of malfunction of the thyroid gland.
- Prolonged exposure to stress, poor psycho-emotional state.
In the above situations, it is enough to eliminate the provoking factor, and the separation of the secret will stop. In this case, you should not make a diagnosis yourself, it is better to consult with a specialist.
The unpleasant smell of discharge in women in some situations becomes a symptom of a serious illness. The most commonly diagnosed are:
- Colpit The disease is associated with an inflammatory process that develops on the mucous surface of the vagina. It is accompanied by the separation of a secret with a strong odor, discomfort after intercourse, pain in the lower abdomen, problems with emptying the bladder. Treatment is carried out with the use of specialized medications.
- Vaginosis is a disease that is associated with the penetration of pathogens into the female genital system. This contributes to the reduction of immunity, long-term treatment with antibacterial drugs. At the same time secreted yellow-green secret, which has a rotten smell.
- Endometriosis. Its development is associated with a violation of hormonal levels. As a result, the tissue of the mucous surface begins to grow strongly. Often the result of this process is infertility. This disease is characterized by yellow or brown odorous discharge.
- The formation of tumors in the organs of the reproductive system. There is a yellow secretion. Fistula formation can occur - a connecting channel between the vagina and the intestine. According to it, the pathogenic microflora enters the reproductive system. This aggravates the course of the disease.
- Venereal diseases. They are transmitted during sexual contact with an infected partner. The development of such diseases is associated with the penetration into the body of a woman of pathogenic microorganisms. In this case, there is the appearance of discharge from the vagina with an unpleasant smell, severe itching, pain, urination disorders. With improper or late treatment, complications are possible, including irreversible infertility.
- Candidiasis or thrush. The cause of this disease is a fungal infection. At the same time separating the secret will have a cheesy structure. This problem often occurs after pregnancy, stress, immunity and other provoking factors.
Before starting treatment, it is necessary to identify the causes of the problem. To do this, you need to consult a doctor and undergo an appropriate medical examination.
Self-medication in the presence of a disease can lead to serious complications. Do not try to select medicines yourself or use traditional medicine. It is dangerous for your health.
The discharge in women, depending on the cause, may have a different smell:
- Rotten fish. If the discharge has such a smell, you can talk about the presence of dysbiosis in the vagina. This causes itching and severe discomfort. The consequence of this can be inflammation of various organs of the reproductive system.
- Onions or garlic. The reason for such female secretions may be a decrease in immunity, poor diet or fungal infection of the vagina. In the latter case, specialized treatment will be required.
- Rotten meat. The causes of this phenomenon lie in the infection with Gardnerella. These pathogens settle on the mucous surface of the vagina. In the absence of proper treatment, they spread throughout the urogenital system and lead to the development of serious complications. The secret with the smell of rotten has a gray color.
- Urine. The secret with an unpleasant smell in women can be the result of prolonged stress or overweight. This is due to the penetration of a portion of urine. This phenomenon is the result of increased pressure in the peritoneal region.
- Kislyatiny. Unpleasant smell from the vagina becomes a consequence of thrush. In this case, the woman feels a debilitating itching, discomfort. Chances of vulvovaginitis are high.
- Acetone. Discharges with this smell most often accompanied by diabetes. This disease leads to the accumulation in the body of a large number of ketone bodies. The body removes them together with biological fluids, including the vaginal secretion. Because of this, he gets such a specific smell. The reasons for the formation of a secret may lie in other diseases. Therefore, when a symptom occurs, a thorough medical examination is necessary.
- Gland. Such an unpleasant symptom suggests that there is an admixture of blood in the secretion. This can be during menstruation or with erosive lesions of the cervix. The integrity of the mucous surfaces is broken, and they begin to bleed.
How to get rid of such symptoms will depend on the cause of its occurrence. To determine it will require a series of laboratory tests.
Color and consistency classification
Odor discharge may have different texture and color. Depending on this, the doctor may conduct an initial assessment of the woman’s health. There are the following types of secrets:
- White discharge. Most often they become a sign of thrush. According to their structure, they are cottage cheese and have a sour smell. This disease is often manifested during early sexual activity. If the secret of white color stinks fish, it is a sign of vaginosis.
- Yellow. Fetid discharge of this color indicates the development of the inflammatory process. If such symptoms are found after sexual contact without using a condom, you should immediately consult a doctor to conduct research to identify sexually transmitted diseases. In gynecology, there are cases when the separation of the yellow secret is accompanied by infection with staphylococcus or streptococcus after a difficult delivery or abortion, carried out in violation of the technology of the procedure.
- Yellow brown. Such light signals the presence of pus in the biological fluid. This indicates inflammation localized in the ovaries, uterus, fallopian tubes, or vagina. Transmission of this disease is possible during unprotected sexual intercourse. The development of the disease contributes to non-compliance with hygienic standards. The separation of thick dark colored liquids becomes a consequence of vaginitis. The greenish hue of such a secret indicates infection with trichomoniasis.
- The appearance of cheesy discharge with odor speaks not only of thrush, but also of reduced immunity, wrong choice of clothes, pregnancy, or disruption of the normal vaginal microflora. Contributes to this state of bad psychological situation, frequent stress, depression.
- Foamy discharge with a sour odor may be the result of elemental non-compliance with hygiene rules.
- Pink If their shade is rather pale, this indicates a pathological change in the endometrium or an ongoing inflammatory process in the cervix. If such a liquid began to stand out instead of the usual menstruation, consult a doctor. This may indicate an early pregnancy and a threatened miscarriage.
- Greenish. Вонючее выделение такого цвета говорит о заболевании мочеполовой системы, которое сопровождается активной выработкой лейкоцитов. Этим симптомом может сопровождаться эрозия шейки матки, дисбактериоз, гонорея и другие проблемы. Если они пахнут тухлым, это говорит о прогрессировании цервицита гнойного характера.
- Bright red. This sign indicates the presence of a secret blood. If this happened before menstruation, then experts more often suspect the presence of endometriosis. In the middle of the cycle, the separation of such a secret speaks of polycystic ovary. When late treatment of such a disease increases the risk of infertility. Red secret, which appears after the end of menstruation, can be a sign of ectopic pregnancy.
- Brown discharge appears in women who do not take good care of their personal hygiene. The cause of this phenomenon may be a failure of hormonal levels. This often happens when you start using oral contraceptives. The appearance of such discharge with an unpleasant smell in women, which are accompanied by pain, is a sign of ectopic pregnancy.
- Gray. If there is a selection of this shade, then they say about the penetration into the body of infection. In this case, it is extremely important to start treatment on time.
Determine why the unpleasant symptoms appeared only after a full examination. Analyzing the results of all studies, the doctor develops a competent treatment strategy.
What symptoms should immediately see a doctor?
The appearance of discharge with an unpleasant smell and discharge with an unpleasant tint and texture, indicates the presence of a serious disease. This can be determined by the following features:
- Failures of the menstrual cycle.
- Pain in the lumbar region and lower abdomen.
- Breast diseases that are associated with hormonal disruptions in the body.
- Itching and burning sensation in the genital area.
- Feeling of great discomfort during intercourse.
If you find such symptoms immediately go to the doctor. If precious time is lost, the likelihood of complications increases.
For an accurate diagnosis, laboratory tests are carried out smear from the vagina, urine and blood. Only after receiving all the results, the doctor will be able to make an accurate diagnosis.
How to get rid of the problem?
The appearance of heavy discharge with an unpleasant smell indicates the need for immediate treatment. Self-treatment is strictly prohibited. This can adversely affect the state of reproductive function. Only a specialist will be able to develop a competent technique for how to treat the problem. The following therapy programs are applied:
- Antibacterial drugs. They help to suppress the activity of pathogenic microflora. These can be pills or vaginal suppositories. Topical preparations can speed up the healing process. These tools disrupt the balance of the natural intestinal microflora, so at the same time they use probiotics or prebiotics.
- Lactic acid. It is necessary to restore the normal microflora of the vagina.
- Hormonal drugs for the correction of disturbed background.
- Bacterial means provoking active growth positively affecting the health of bacteria.
- Preparations containing ascorbic acid. This substance has the ability to stop the reproduction of pathogenic microflora. It is possible to use not only vitamin-mineral complexes, but also natural products. Vitamin C is rich in citrus fruits, cranberries, and black currants.
- Adjusting the diet. Fighting the smell of the vagina helps the right menu. It should include a sufficient amount of fermented milk products. Best of all, if they are homemade. Add garlic to your diet. This product has an excellent antifungal and antibacterial effect.
- Compliance with proper drinking regime. The liquid promotes the rapid leaching of pathogenic microflora. Proper drinking regime contributes to the removal of excess sugar, slag and toxic substances.
Treatment with medication should be under the supervision of a physician. In this case it is necessary to strictly observe all prescribed dosages. Independently interrupt treatment or replace the drug is strictly prohibited. This can aggravate the course of the disease and lead to the development of complications.
Having got rid of the disease, it is necessary to take all measures to avoid relapse. To do this, do not need to resort to any complex techniques. It is enough to follow a few simple rules of prevention:
- Watch for proper nutrition. It must be balanced. Control the amount of protein, carbohydrates and fats eaten. Try not to exceed the recommended daily dosages of these substances. This is the only way to protect yourself from diseases of the urinary system.
- Carefully follow all standards of individual hygiene of the genitals. Every day wash and take a warm shower. To wash the vagina, use specialized tools. Choose those that include lactic acid. This component helps to preserve the natural microflora and does not dry out mucous surfaces. It is better to refuse use of usual toilet soap. It can cause itching and discomfort. In extreme cases, it can be replaced by economic.
- Do not wear underwear made from synthetic fabrics. It contributes to the greenhouse effect. In such conditions, pathogens begin to multiply much more actively. Prefer models made from natural cotton fabrics.
- Use the panty liners to keep the laundry clean. They absorb excess moisture and help maintain dryness. But bacteria can breed in them, so you need to change the gaskets every two hours. Being at home. It is better to refuse their use. So you let your skin breathe freely. During treatment, you can use flavored pads. They will help reduce the intensity of the odor.
- Special attention to hygiene must be paid during menstruation. Clean up as often as possible during this period. Change pads and tampons as soon as possible. At night it is better to refuse tampons and give preference to laying.
- Keep up the state of your immune system. This requires proper nutrition, regular exercise and walks in the fresh air. Eat more fruits and vegetables, start your morning at the gym, and when you come back from work, walk a few stops.
Separation from the vaginal secretions with an unpleasant smell can be a signal for the development of a serious disease. Therefore, if you find such a symptom in yourself, immediately consult a specialist. If precious time is missed, the risk of dangerous complications increases many times over, as it is not always easy to get rid of secretions. For secretions that are infectious, specialized assistance will be required.