Does the baby give water? When and how much?
When it comes to breastfeeding with breast milk, questions about feeding today are less and less: most pediatricians share the point of view (and can bring it to young parents) that absolutely everything - and water, nutrition - is already available breast milk, therefore, it is not worthwhile to correct nature, she has thought of everything. Breastfeeding has an important advantage: the composition of female breast milk is such that at first the baby sucks the first portions of the so-called "front" milk, which acts as a drink, and then comes the turn of the "back" milk - more dense, concentrated and nutritious - this is actually food . Nature is wise, it adjusts the composition of mother's milk for the season and climatic conditions: in summer, in the heat, the milk becomes more liquid and allows you to satisfy the needs of the child to drink, in winter it is more dense and high-calorie. Therefore, breast-fed infants do not need to feed with some water - there is absolutely no need for it until they begin to introduce complementary foods: even when the baby is sick, mother’s milk will cope with relieving the condition better than any other liquid.
A completely different situation with the newborn on artificial feeding. When and why do they make up to an artificial child?
- Vodicka is necessary for him because artificial feeding with the mixture gives him more protein than breast milk, and more fluid is needed to break it up. Therefore, the newborn on artificial feeding should receive additional water constantly, from the very first day, in between feedings with the mixture.
- Doping not only facilitates the assimilation of the mixture, but is also the prevention of constipation - the traditional problem of artificially born babies: if the body fluids are not enough, the stool becomes dry and dense, therefore the body is more difficult to remove.
- Vodicka helps with hiccups - involuntary contraction of the diaphragm and larynx, water will relieve the spasm and eliminate the cause of the condition. And so that it does not recur, the baby needs to be provided with comfortable conditions: warm it up (if it is frozen), take it upright (if the newborn hurried and swallowed a lot of air while feeding) and calm it down (if hiccups are a reaction to stress or overexcitation).
- If the crumbs have a fever, supplementation is necessary - it will be easier for the body to cope with the thermoregulation, and it will also be able to remove all the excess.
- In conditions that lead to rapid and abrupt fluid loss by the body (vomiting and diarrhea), the newborn needs to compensate for the lost moisture, so they are often offered to drink and as much as the child wants.
- There is also a popular statement that water helps with jaundice of newborns. But in fact, this is a controversial point: jaundice is a consequence of the high content of bilirubin in the blood, a substance that is insoluble in water, and therefore, it is unlikely that additional water will help its removal.
They give some water from a bottle (it’s better to have special water for water), whereas for breastfed infants, if you start feeding in connection with the introduction of complementary food, the best option is with a spoon (otherwise the newborn can refuse breastfeeding; simpler!)
The temperature of the water should be comfortable, ideally it should initially be equal to the body temperature - 36 degrees, so it is best absorbed (as breast milk is the most natural liquid for babies), gradually the temperature can be reduced to room temperature - 20 degrees (after 2-3 months ).
The best time to offer the baby a drink is about an hour after feeding, because the baby mixture is diluted with water, which means the baby will not be thirsty.
What to water the baby: what water is needed for feeding?
- Naturally, tap water is not suitable for feeding newborns - unfortunately, the state of tap water in our country does not allow us to risk the health of a child.
- Special bottled water for babies is excellent (it is sold in all pharmacies): the age for which it is intended, and the mineral composition is always indicated on the label. In addition, special children's water is sometimes enriched with vitamins and trace elements that are useful for kids, and it is bottled in plastic bottles with a high degree of safety.
- A fine option is artesian or spring water from a clean, proven source.
- When special children's water is unavailable, water without gas or even ordinary soda, which can be shaken, opened, and allowed to stand in such a form for several hours, so that all gases are released, will be suitable. It is important to know that highly mineralized water is not suitable for children, it should be as neutral as possible, so read carefully what is written on the label.
- Water from the filter can also be used - this is the best option if you do not forget to change it in time to ensure normal water quality.
- Not very suitable (but permissible) option is boiled water, which pediatricians of the old school always advised, because boiling kills microorganisms. In fact, boiled water is not harmful, but there is not much benefit from it either, since boiling kills everything in it, both necessary and unnecessary: useful salts dissolved in water precipitate and do not enter the body.
- But herbal decoctions can sometimes replace water, but not all, but only a special purpose for newborns: dill or fennel water for colic, chamomile and mint when overexcited, linden for a cold. There are ready-made granulated teas for babies, infants, they are very convenient to use and safe, as they are carefully monitored by the manufacturer.
- What is definitely not worth doing is sweetening the water so that the newborn can drink it more readily. Sugar only provokes thirst, and the kid does not get drunk with such water, although he drinks it more. In addition, sugar is hard absorbed by the body and overloads it. Therefore, if the baby does not want to drink, it means that he does not need it now. And do not be cunning with sugar - better wait, when he really needs additional fluid - then he will drink with pleasure as much as he needs.
How much to give water to the newborn on artificial feeding?
Mom offers the baby to drink, and if at the moment he has such a need - he will take the opportunity to quench his thirst, having drunk just as much as is required, therefore, he cannot be forced to drink (as well as feed!).
In the heat or in a stuffy room, you can offer to drink more often - every 20-30 minutes. But if the ambient temperature is cool (less than 20 ° C), the child is unlikely to want to drink - the liquid that he receives with the mixture will be enough for him. In the room where the so-called “comfort temperature” (+ 24 ° C) is established, the need for additional drinking will be approximately 60–100 ml during the day, although various experts give very different recommendations for infants up to half a year — from 50 to 200 ml. In fact, there is no clear norm regarding additional water, and much will depend on the child, on the climate, on the season, and even on the density of the mixture that he feeds on.
However, everything is individual here, because there are always kids who love to drink some more or less water. In any case, take into account the fact that the volume of the stomach of a newborn is very small, only about 250 ml, therefore, the more water gets into it, the less space will be left for the healthy mixture, so shortly before feeding a lot of water is better not to offer.
So listen attentively to the needs of your baby, and then you will be easy to take care of him. Good luck!
Whether to give water to the baby
Some pediatricians assure mom that if she feeds her newborn with water, her milk will simply disappear. However, studies show that this theory is erroneous.
We must not forget that mother's milk itself is more than 80% water. But, unfortunately, it is impossible to completely satisfy the thirst of the baby with the help of milk. But the symptoms of thirst are hard enough tolerated by an adult, not to mention a small child!
As for babies raised on artificial nutrition, they simply need additional fluid intake. The recommended child’s water intake is about 60 ml per day. Water for infants should be at room temperature or slightly warmer.
From one month of age, the child tries to move as much as possible, which increases the sweating of his body. In this regard, the loss of fluid is inevitable, so it is simply necessary to fill it.
Most parents make the same common mistake. They are very worried about the quality of the fluid they give to their child. Therefore, before they water the child, they boil it. However, boiled water will not help the child to get rid of thirst, as well as fill the body with micronutrients necessary for health - they are destroyed by heat treatment. In this regard, in any case, do not boil water before giving it to your baby.
To feed a child should be thoroughly filtered or specialized bottled water for children.
There is an opinion that water can cause dysbacteriosis in a newborn. But modern medicine has proven that this information is incorrect. Therefore, do not be afraid that the liquid can harm your baby.
To decide whether to give water to a newborn or not, of course, only to his parents. But most pediatricians believe that it is vital for the infant.
When to give water to the baby
Another controversial question is when to give water to a baby? There are also several opinions here. Some believe that it is possible to give a liquid to a child only from the age of one, others see nothing wrong with starting to water a baby after a month of life. The answer is simple: the child should be fed from 25-30 days from his birth. After all, it is from this age that he no longer has enough milk to quench his thirst.
So, under what circumstances is it necessary to give water to the baby?
- To avoid dehydration, give it to your baby on particularly hot days, as well as in the winter during the heating season.
- Watch your child's sweating, if it is elevated - give the crumbs a little more liquid.
- Water should be given with cold symptoms, as well as during an elevated temperature in the baby. Most likely, he will refuse to use breast milk, so quenching his thirst with water is absolutely necessary.
- If the baby has diarrhea, then only purified water will help to save him from dehydration.
- If a child has jaundice, then using water to get rid of the disease will be much easier.
Most pediatricians advise young mothers to give water to babies at night. In their opinion, this will help wean the child from the requirements of night feedings. He will drink water, calm down and immediately fall asleep. In the end, the baby will stop waking up at night. However, do not forget that sometimes the child does not sleep due to lack of attention, so parents must show their warmth and care.
How much water to give baby
Sure, children definitely need water. However, at such a small age they cannot determine how much liquid they need to consume. Therefore, parents must must take into account the dosage. If mom and dad do not do this, then soon the baby can stop drinking breast milk, drinking more than normal water and filling her stomach with it. This will lead to the fact that the baby just loses his appetite, and yet the milk contains a huge amount of vitamins necessary for the growth and development of the crumbs.
The daily intake of water for a baby should not exceed more than 60 ml. Do not give your baby more than 20 ml. at one time, so as not to overload the kidneys and urinary organs of the infant. It is best to feed the child with a spoon, then it will be easier for parents to control the daily dose.
Topping up a child with water
Dosing a child is necessary, especially in hot weather. For such purposes, do not forget to always carry a small bottle with you.
So that the baby does not drink more than normal, parents must follow the dosage. If parents have determined that the child needs to drink between feedings, the amount of fluid should not exceed 20-30 ml.
What kind of water to give baby
For newborns, it is best to use special baby bottled water. Such water is thoroughly cleaned, it is non-carbonated and fully suitable for watering the baby.
In addition, to prepare food for the child (soups, cereals, etc.) should be on the same water. Baby water certainly does not harm babies.
With regard to water from the tap, then it should be applied with extreme caution, and it would be preferable, nevertheless, to abandon its use. The fact is that it contains various microorganisms and pathogenic microbes that can harm the baby’s body.
However, if you have a deep cleaning filter at home, then you can not worry about the health of the crumbs. Such water is useful and safe for the child.
Melt water is considered particularly beneficial to health. To cook it, pour purified cold water into a bowl or pan and put it in the freezer. When the water has completely frozen, pull it out of the freezer and place it in a warm place. Melt water has a very beneficial effect on the body.
You should not give the baby too cold or, conversely, hot water. Make sure that the temperature of the liquid offered to the baby does not exceed 23 - 25 degrees Celsius.
Children who have not reached the age of one, in any case, do not give the liquid with gas. It can provoke irritation of the intestines, which is particularly difficult for children at that age.
Some parents sweeten water for babies by adding sugar to it. However, this does not lead to anything good. Sweet water at this age can completely disrupt the metabolism, as well as provoke the appearance of caries, even if the baby has not yet gotten teeth.
How to know that your baby does not have enough water
There are a number of symptoms that make it clear that the baby does not have enough liquid, namely:
- lethargy, apathy of the baby,
- dry mucous membranes
- dropping a spring,
- insufficient urination (less than six times a day),
- sharp smell of urine
- discoloration of urine.
These signs indicate dehydration of the baby's body. If symptoms of lack of fluid are found, then often apply the baby to the chest. Feel the baby between feedings, giving him no more than 20 ml at a time. Such simple manipulations will help to bring the water balance in the body of the child back to normal.
And finally, how to water the babies. There are several options:
- Spoon These are special spoons with a shape suitable for baby mouth,
- Syringe. Inject the drops into the baby's mouth - let it be accompanied by the elements of the game so that the child does not get scared,
- Starting from 5-6 months, special drinking bowls can be used., which the baby will be able to hold himself with handles (there are so-called “non-spilling”),
- Little bottle Manufacturers offer a large range of them. But not all crumbs love to drink from a bottle, they want to try something else.
Water for newborns (infants) is an important condition for their normal growth and development.
Does a newborn need water?
Is it possible to give water to a month-old baby? When breastfeeding this is not necessary, since in the first 2-3 months the mother's milk fully provides the baby with drink and food. If the child is thirsty, he is always attached to the chest. Therefore, he alone is able to satisfy his need.
In the future, the mother must focus on certain factors:
- At the age of three months, the child can be given water for the first time.
- Determine the need for your child to drink additional dryness on the lips and mouth.
- A sign that the baby needs water is significant perspiration.
- At such an early age, it is better to give the liquid with a spoon, so as not to accustom the child to the bottle.
Can a baby be given water? It should be offered to the baby, and then follow his reaction. If he turns his head away, it means that while he does not want to drink.
Every mother should know that a newborn can quench their thirst with the first portion of breast milk. In the summer season it becomes more liquid, so it quenches thirst better. In winter, breast milk becomes thick and high in calories.
How much can you give the child water
Pediatricians recommend starting to give water at three months of age. It surprises many grandmothers, since they raised their children according to different rules. Can I give water to a month old baby? Не стоит, так как выпитая жидкость заполнит желудок, поэтому малыш начинает хуже сосать. У мамы из-за этого могут появиться неприятные последствия, такие как:
- Снижение продуктивности молочных желез.
- Лишнее молоко необходимо будет сцеживать.
Не следует беспокоиться, если какая-нибудь бабушка, не доверяющая современным методам, даст месячной крохе немного кипяченой водички. If the baby does not need liquid, he will not drink it or spit it out. If a baby drinks water between feedings once, it will not affect his appetite. In order to prevent the appearance of thirst in an infant in the first months after birth, it is often applied to the breast.
Benefits and harm of water when breastfeeding
The benefits of water for thirst are invaluable to humans. It helps restore water-salt balance and removes toxins from the body. But you need to give it only when necessary.
Having taught the child to drink from the bottle, the mother can harm not only the baby, but also herself:
- He may refuse to suck the breast.
- Increase the load on his urogenital system.
- There is a danger of increasing bilirubin, the appearance of jaundice. This is because breast milk dissolves this substance, but water does not.
What kind of water can be given to an infant? Experts advise to use only bottled water for children. For a safer liquid, you can filter it manually and then boil it.
It must be understood that harmful bacteria can get into the baby’s body with water. From this does not save the usual bottled water. Even boiling does not kill some pests.
Doctors advise giving water to a child in such cases:
- It is dry hot weather.
- The baby has a high fever.
- The child suffers from colic.
When to begin to give water with artificial feeding
We figured out whether to feed a newborn with breastfeeding. But what about artificial? For how many months can you give a child water if he grows up on mixtures? Doctors say that you can offer baby water at any age (despite the fact that most of the mixes are prepared by parents on the water).
Kneading the mixture, you can easily determine how much water enters the body of the baby. Of course, you need to do everything according to the instructions, which are written on each package of baby food. Violation of proportions can lead to constipation, an excess of vitamins and minerals, as well as the appearance of excess weight.
It is logical to assume that the child should have enough water that is in the mixture. However, in the intervals between feedings, he should be offered to drink. For example, if the frequency of feeding is every 4 hours, then water can be given every time 2-2.5 hours before feeding. How much water can a baby give? Feeding babies on artificial feeding can be in any volume. According to statistics, children under 5 months rarely drink more than 30-70 ml per day.
Why do I need a baby when artificially fed?
There are reasons due to which babies on artificial feeding need water more than those who are on natural nutrition. Among them:
- Water is necessary for an artificialist because the mixture contains more protein than breast milk. For its splitting, more liquid is needed. When can I give water to an infant with bottle-feeding? The newborn artificial must receive water from the first days of his life.
- Doping is an excellent way to prevent constipation in such babies. The reason for their appearance is a lack of fluid, due to the deficit of which the fecal masses become too dry and dense, therefore they are harder to remove from the body.
- Water is an excellent remedy for hiccups (this is an involuntary contraction of the diaphragm and larynx). It relieves spasm and eliminates the cause of the condition. In order to prevent repetitions, the baby needs to be warmer dressed (if cold), held vertically for several minutes (if air is swallowed during feeding), and reassured (if hiccups appear due to strong crying).
- At elevated temperatures, it is imperative to feed the child - so it will be easier for the body to cope with the thermoregulation and remove the bacteria.
- With vomiting and diarrhea, the newborn needs to replenish the impaired water balance. Therefore, during this period it is necessary to water it often.
- There is a myth that water can cope with the jaundice of newborns. This is a controversial statement, as the jaundice appears due to an increase in blood bilirubin, which is not soluble in water. Therefore, it is unlikely that additional liquid will help in this case.
Artificially fed babies are given water from a bottle. Fluid temperature should be 36 degrees - so it will be easier to digest. At the age of 3 months and older it is necessary to begin to lower the temperature of the water, gradually bringing it to 20 degrees.
How much to give water to the newborn artificial
We have already found out that you can give water to a month-old baby if he grows up on artificial mixtures.
Mom should offer some water to the baby, but whether he wants to drink it or not, it already depends on his needs. In the heat or in a stuffy room, water should be offered every 20-30 minutes. If the temperature in the room is normal (does not exceed 20 degrees), then the child will not want to drink. He will have enough of the liquid contained in the mixture. In a room where the temperature of the room (not above 24 degrees), the child requires 60-100 ml per day. However, on this occasion there are other opinions of experts. In general, it is recommended to give the baby 50-200 ml of water per day.
What water to water baby
Doping can have both positive and negative consequences. Therefore, special attention should be paid to what kind of water is given to the child. There are several rules for choosing the right one:
- There is no doubt that tap water is not suitable for feeding a newborn, as it is chlorinated and contains a lot of harmful substances.
- The best choice would be bottled water for children (it is sold in pharmacies and supermarkets). It indicates the age for which it is intended, as well as the minerals it contains. In addition, it is enriched with vitamins and trace elements that are useful for children. This water is poured into plastic containers with a higher degree of safety.
- Water suitable for babies is water from spring or artesian springs.
- At what age can you give a child water with gas? If it is impossible to buy baby water, then the baby can be offered a carbonated liquid. However, you need to shake it up well, open the lid and let it stand for several hours so that all the gases come out. It should be remembered that the water should not be too mineralized. It is better to give preference to neutral.
- You can use filtered water if the filter changes according to requirements.
- It is permissible to use boiled water. It is still possible to hear that it is advised by pediatricians of the old school. In those days, it was believed that boiling kills all microorganisms. It really is. In such water there is neither useful nor harmful substances. Even salts dissolved in water precipitate and do not enter the child’s body.
- Infants can and should be given decoctions, although not any grass is suitable for these purposes. For example, dill water will help with colic, chamomile and mint - with strong arousal, linden - with colds. You can buy ready-made teas in granules. They are convenient to use. In addition, they undergo careful production control.
In no case should you sweeten the water with sugar. It only increases the baby’s thirst, so it’s impossible to drink this kind of water. Sugar is hard absorbed by the body and overloads it. If the child does not want to drink, it is better not to force him.
Why does the baby need it at IV?
All pediatricians agree that a child who is fed maternal milk does not need to either drink or drink water at all. But does water need children who feed on adapted milk formulas?
As you know, infant formula contains more protein, which means it is more dense and nourishing for the baby. Unlike breast milk, which is divided into “front” (more liquid) and “back” (more dense) milk, the mixture for children is homogeneous and equally dense in consistency.
The famous doctor Komarovsky is in solidarity with this opinion and considers the procedure of feeding a newborn on artificial feeding with water an essential attribute.
It is possible to offer water to the newborn already from the first week of artificial feeding. Special attention should be paid to the child’s chair. If constipation is observed from the very beginning, then water will become an indispensable helper.
In the case when the digestive system of the baby copes well with the absorption and excretion of dairy food, Water can be consumed from the 28th day.
When to give some water?
Give water to your baby as often as possible between feedings with milk formula. It's okay if the child refuses to drink - it means, at the moment, the balance of fluid in his body is normal and he has enough of the water that you give during the meal.
The best time to drink is one hour before or one hour after feeding. You shouldn't offer your child plenty of water before the main meal, because the volume of his ventricle is not more than 250 ml, therefore, the more he drinks, the less he will eat.
How to offer?
Water should be offered to the baby! Despite the fact that the newborn is still quite small and defenseless, he already knows how much liquid and food he needs. It is better to offer often and slightly, than forcibly pour in an unwanted drink.
A child can drink water:
- from the bottle with the dummy
- from a spoon
- from a syringe without needles.
How much fluid does a baby need?
The daily rate of water consumption by a child is individual. The figure ranges from 50 to 200 ml per day. Naturally, You need to take into account various factors:
- child's activity,
- food consistency and more.
Therefore - be guided by the instincts of your crumbs. For the correct calculation of the daily rate, pay attention to the amount of the mixture you drink, i.e. the volume of liquid should correspond to the volume of one meal.
Thus, if the baby eats 120 ml of the mixture for one feeding, then the daily portion of water corresponds to this figure. This amount is distributed all day and night if the newborn has the need to drink at night.
- The most useful drink for babies will be special children's water purchased at a pharmacy or in a store. It contains the necessary minerals and vitamins for a child’s body. Before buying such water, be sure to check the expiration date.
- Suitable and mineral water without bottled gas. The main thing is that it is not specially enriched with salts and does not have an additional flavor.
- Useful water can be made at home alone. For this ideal water filters in the form of plastic jugs. Do not forget just in time to change the cartridge and daily update the water.
- Boiled water may also be suitable for supplementation. However, it must be borne in mind that the boiling process kills all the beneficial properties of water, making it only a liquid to quench thirst.
What should the temperature be?
In the first days of feeding, the water temperature should be as close as possible to the child's body temperature - 36 degrees. Warm water is absorbed faster by the body., because he does not need to spend extra energy on heating or cooling.
Then, you can gradually reduce the temperature, bringing to room temperature. Thus, in 2-3 months it will be 20-22 degrees.
What if the baby does not drink water?
Always listen to the desires of your baby, and if he now refuses to drink or eat something - in no case insist. This can lead to a complete rejection of some kind of liquid or food. Wait a moment and then offer again. Give your child to choose what kind of water he will drink - mineral, boiled, special nursery.
What to do when a child refuses to drink? Useful tips:
- Perhaps the newborn does not like the temperature of the water - then, next time, give it warmer or cooler.
- You can also experiment with different bottles - get one designed for water only. All babies have a shaped memory, and your crumb may just wonder why a bottle of liquid comes from a different “non-dairy” taste. Let the dishes for water be bright, with colorful drawings. Many kids like bottles with handles or with a special hole in the middle, into which you can stick your fingers.
- If you give some water from a spoon, make sure that it is made of special silicone material - such spoons are warm, unlike ordinary tea ones, and some also change color, signaling too hot water or food. Such spoons may be of interest to the baby, so do not scold him if he wants to touch her, play with her.
- You can set an example for your baby by drinking first from the bottle itself or from a spoon and show how tasty it is with mimics or some kind of gestures. When the child repeats after you, be sure to praise him.
Newborn babies need water?
According to poorly educated people or some of the older generation, it is necessary to give water to the newborn.
There are, ostensibly, justifications:
- Water treats infant jaundice.
- It is necessary not only to eat, but also to drink. Milk is food, but not drinking, unlike water.
- Water quenches thirst.
- In case of illness, water increases the diuretic process and dissolves drugs.
Jaundice is caused by bilirubin - a fat-soluble enzyme in the body of a newborn. Water in no way helps, but only worsens the condition, due to the lack of fats, while the milk contains them in the required amount.
Breast milk nutrition
Tasteless water, complete with bitter medicines, will not interest the child, but on the contrary - will make him spit and turn away. It is quite another thing - sweet and warm breast milk. It not only contributes to the use of medicines, but also helps their early absorption.
Ridiculous prejudices appear due to the fact that adults measure a child by their own standards and measures - it is fundamentally wrong. The body of the newborn is significantly different from the body of an adult. Some systems, especially the digestive one, are just beginning to form and develop. Nature is all programmed. If you think about it, it’s not for nothing that the female breast and breast milk are created? How did babies survive for centuries, when there was no proper amount of boiled water and such devices as nipples and bottles?
Water soldering is necessary in a limited number of cases and with the obligatory recommendation of a pediatrician. The need for water and the determination of its daily volume depends on the type of food, climatic conditions, the health status of the child and his weight category. The spontaneous introduction of water in the baby’s menu is fraught with disruption of the digestive system and the occurrence of infections.
Is it possible to feed the newborn with water when breastfeeding
Even without going into research details, the conclusion is obvious - a baby who is breastfed doesn’t need any other source of “food”.
The female body specifically produces milk that fully satisfies all the needs of the baby. It is ideally balanced with fats, acids, vitamins, macro and trace elements, and it consists of 90% of water. Because of this, the child does not have a need for the separation of thirst and hunger.
Why can not water the newborn with water:
- The size of the stomach of a newborn is about 200 ml. Many do not need to fill it. When a child drinks water, the body receives a false sense of satiety, without feeling the difference between the fluids. Instead of the necessary nutrients, the water lacks calories. As a result - malnutrition.
- Weight loss is accompanied by malnutrition. Body weight is a direct indicator of the development of the body. Being normal, it guarantees the stable operation of all systems and organs, and its reduction means the absence of a sufficient amount of “building material”, which leads to illness and development retardation.
- Not experiencing hunger after water, the child reduces the amount of milk consumed at a time, and the production of new milk is directly related to the amount consumed earlier. The less baby will suck, the less he will arrive.
- Up to six months, the intestinal microflora is not stable. It is milk that is a source of beneficial lactic acid bacteria. Water disrupts the balance, diluting an already small amount of enzymes and can bring harmful bacteria into the body, creating an imbalance, and scientifically - according to a scientific one. According to research by the World Health Organization (WHO), if you regularly give water to children under 6 years old without medical recommendations, they experience a three-fold increase in intestinal disorders (for example, diarrhea).
Do solder the child when artificial and mixed feeding
Artificial mixes differ from breast milk in high protein content. Protein is not stored in reserve. The excess element in the body, under the influence of a number of other substances, splits, eventually breaking down into fats. Fats, in turn, contribute to obesity and constipation. Accordingly, it is necessary to give the child to drink water, but in moderation. Do not force the baby, and offer - the child can determine how much to drink.
При смешанном питании ни в коем случае не предлагайте воду в бутылочке. Когда ребенок сосет грудь, задействованы мышцы всего рта. Форма соски облегчает процесс – достаточно прижимать немного языком, что б жидкость потекла. Осознав, что еду можно получить, не прилагая усилий, ребенок откажется от груди. Предлагайте чашку или поите из ложечки.
Children who are fully bottle-fed can be given a bottle, otherwise the feeding process will be extremely tiring, especially for the crumbs.
Whether to give water in the heat
Do I need water to heat in the heat? Remembering the percentage of water in breast milk, the question disappears by itself.
Instead of "treating the syndrome," get rid of the causes:
- Remove excess clothing. Pampers and T-shirts will be enough (being at home), and in the sun to take the baby out into the street is completely impossible,
- Use a humidifier or an atomizer if the room is very dry
- Air the room. The stuffiness does not disappear, from the extra sips of water,
- Apply more to the chest. If the child is sweating, is thirsty, the body itself will determine the need for water balance, and require milk.
Worldwide studies conducted in hot countries (India, Pakistan, the tropics) have shown that dehydration occurs much less frequently in children who drink only mother's milk during the heat. This is due, balanced in it, the amount of salts and minerals. Even an adult, to restore the water-salt balance, disturbed by high perspiration or due to diseases, is recommended to use water-salt solutions, and not ordinary water.
Naturally, this applies to breastfed babies. When mixed or artificial food, or when administered complementary foods, the needs of the organism change.
Whether to give baby water while hiccups
Hiccup - simultaneous contraction of the diaphragm and intercostal muscles. It arises as a result of a number of events, of which the newborn is characterized by: hypothermia and the presence of air in the stomach.
Having a rationale, you must:
- Warm your baby if cold
- Take out the air that has been swallowed while sucking the breast or the bottle - wear the baby upright or lay on the tummy,
- The accumulation of gases will lead to decoction of dill seed (read about dill water),
- If the hiccups provoked nervous excitement, it is necessary to remove the spasm with two or three sips of warm water.
Is it worth worrying if babies hiccups and how can you help your baby with hiccups?
What and how much water to give a newborn
Given the characteristics of intestinal microflora, children are better to give special water for newborns. It is widely distributed in pharmacies, supermarkets and many grocery stores. It is packaged in small bottles and bottles of 5-6 liters, which is convenient to use at home. The label must be marked that the water is usable to children.
Unlike ordinary sewage water, it is a balanced composition of salts and minerals, due to which it does not require temperature treatment and is deliberately free of bacteria.
For not having the opportunity to purchase bottled water, use from the tap. It must be boiled in order to sterilize against bacteria and microorganisms.
To find out how much water can be given to a child, use the scheme - 100 ml of fluid per kilogram of weight per meal. The calculation includes not only water, but also diluted milk formulas, be careful. The rate of pure water in the daily diet of the crumbs should not exceed 100 ml.