Many young mothers experience celery feeding during breastfeeding, even if, before pregnancy and childbirth, they did not have affection for the product or did not even tolerate its smell. On the one hand, it seems that there is nothing wrong with including greens in the diet, because not only its benefits, but also the presence of therapeutic effects have been proven for a long time. On the other hand, the product is not as simple as it seems at first glance.
On closer examination of its composition, it is possible to find questionable components that may adversely affect the state of the nursing mother or infant. Ultimately, the mother herself will have to make a decision on this matter, based on her own feelings and the child’s reaction to the product.
The benefits of celery and its positive effect on lactation
Like any greens, celery has a unique composition, which is based on fiber, vitamins and numerous useful trace elements. Subject to the basic rules for introducing the product into the diet, a nursing woman and her baby can expect the following positive changes in condition:
- The tissues of a woman and her milk are enriched with amino acids, vitamins, A, E, K, group B, essential oils. At observance of dosages, a multidirectional therapeutic effect is achieved, which has a positive effect on specific organs and systems, gives a generally strengthening effect.
- The component has a tonic property, strengthens the immunity of the mother and child, helps to increase visual acuity.
Tip: Do not use celery cocktails just because some women think it enhances lactation. This property of the component, as well as its reverse action, has not been proven. A temporary positive effect may be associated with an increase in the amount of fluid in the diet.
- Fiber helps to speed up digestion, faster processing of food, its better absorption and cleansing the body from metabolic products.
- The low calorie content of celery helps to normalize the weight of the nursing mother without the risks for GW associated with maintaining most diets.
Separately, it is worth noting that the fragrant greens, added to the usual dishes, drastically change their smell and taste, which allows to diversify the diet of a woman. This has a positive effect on her appetite and mood. Celery is one of the few products that can be consumed not only in a safe, boiled, baked or stewed form. It is even fried (though without oil or at its minimum amount), while it does not accumulate carcinogens or other harmful components, does not lose its unique texture.
We must not forget that in cooking not only the celery stalk and its leaves, but also the root is appreciated. Broths prepared on its basis contain no less useful components than its fresh parts. It is this product helps to eliminate the signs of cystitis, edema, arthritis and other unpleasant conditions characteristic of the postpartum period.
The potential harm of celery and how to avoid it?
With all the obvious benefits of the product it is forbidden to enter into the diet of a nursing mother until the child is 3-4 months old. Fiber combined with a number of specific components contributes to the accumulation of gases in the intestines of the baby. This leads to the development of discomfort, adversely affects the child’s condition, appetite, and quality of sleep. In especially difficult cases, dysbacteriosis and other serious problems of the gastrointestinal tract can even develop.
Few people know that celery contains quite aggressive allergens. If for an adult organism their volume is too small, then in infants they can easily provoke a violent response in the form of rash, itching, and burning. It is not necessary to completely abandon the product, you can simply adjust its quantity.
To avoid negative consequences, you need to adhere to the following rules:
- You should start with vegetable soup, cooked at the root of celery. Even if a baby has a negative response to this, the product will have to be abandoned.
- Next, we introduce into the diet the leaves of the component in a thermally processed form. We add them to the first or second dishes in a small amount to give the products a delicate flavor.
- In the absence of negative consequences, go to the stem in boiled, stewed or fried. For one day you should not use more than half of the standard stem.
- If everything is in order, you can even go on cocktails from fresh celery. First, always in combination with other products, and after a couple of weeks and in pure form.
If the use of the product at any stage caused problems, you can go back a step or reduce a single dose of the product. If the baby’s reaction is too violent, even a small amount of greenery should be completely abandoned and try again only after the introduction of complementary foods.
Celery based recipes that will only benefit
Celery does not necessarily nibble in pure form or as part of salads. You can try one of the tasty and simple dishes, the preparation of which takes very little time:
- Soup with chicken meatballs and celery. First, boil the broth at the celery root, it should take no more than half an hour. During this time, prepare the remaining ingredients. Grind chicken fillet without fat and skin to the state of minced meat, lightly salt and form small meatballs. Dice carrots, celery stalk, potatoes. You can chop a few celery leaves and parsley. First, put the vegetables in the broth, add the meatballs in a quarter of an hour. When the balls of meat float, turn off the dish and leave for five minutes.
- Cocktail of apple, celery and cucumber. Peel the apple and cucumber, cut all the ingredients into cubes, put it into a blender and grind to a liquid state. Salt is recommended not to add, it can lead to stagnation of fluid in the tissues.
- Celery and carrot pudding. Clean the carrots, cut into cubes with celery. Components separately grind in a blender to a state of gruel. A pinch of sugar can be added to the carrot. Take a heat-resistant ice-cream bowl, lay out a layer of carrots. Top lay out a layer of celery. We bake in the oven for a quarter of an hour, cool slightly and use as an independent dish.
Celery-based recipes can be made independently. It is only necessary to determine in what form it is most liked by mother and child, after which a variety of experiments and combinations of products are allowed.
The plant increases digestibility and food processing. As a result, weight loss occurs. The product has tonic properties, stimulates the immune system, improves the quality of vision.
The useful substances which are a part of a plant:
- retinol (vitamin A). Increases visual acuity. Stimulates the regeneration of the skin, enhances hair growth,
- Vitamins of group B. They improve the functioning of the nervous system: they increase emotional tone, stabilize the psycho-emotional state. Assimilation of food helps. Increase the elasticity, firmness of the skin,
- ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Increases immunity, gives vitality,
- tocopherol (vitamin E). It has a positive effect on blood formation processes, stabilizes hormonal status, restores skin cells,
- Niacin (vitamin PP). Maintains normal blood pressure, improves joint mobility,
- potassium. Affects the metabolism of the heart muscle,
- sodium. Necessary to maintain the normal water-salt balance of the body,
- phosphorus. Strengthens bone tissue and tooth enamel, activates the brain,
- calcium. Normalizes the cardiovascular system, makes the teeth, bones and nails strong,
- magnesium. Increases stress resistance. Improves the urogenital system,
- iron. Necessary for the thyroid gland, the enrichment of the body with oxygen.
Substances contained in the plant, can have a harmful effect on the body of the newborn:
- intestinal colic. Celery juice can provoke gas formation, indigestion. The child becomes restless, crying, eating poorly and sleeping,
- allergic reactions. Vegetable contains substances recognized as allergens. For an adult, their impact is minimal (except in cases of individual intolerance). In a baby, allergy is manifested in the form of redness and rash on the skin, a sensation of itching and burning,
- failure to feed. Celery can change the taste of breast milk and force the baby to stop eating.
Celery in the diet of a nursing woman
When breastfeeding competent introduction of celery in the menu of a nursing mother will benefit her and the child. The digestive system of infants is characterized by its immaturity. Therefore, in the first month after childbirth, a woman is forbidden to eat vegetables. The probability of harmful effects on the delicate body of the baby is very high. It makes sense to add celery to the diet not earlier than the baby is three months old. After all, only in the fourth month of life the child’s digestive tract is able to absorb new substances.
What celery to prefer when breastfeeding
Three types of celery are grown:
- root. This type of plant has a large root, the cells of which are saturated with sap. An ideal vegetable for salads, but unfortunately not suitable for feeding a nursing woman. At the root, the concentration of active substances is high, which dramatically increases the likelihood of allergic reactions and digestive disorders in a baby,
- stem. Vegetable of this type has a thick, resilient, juicy stem. For mothers who breastfeed, such a variety is most appropriate, as it is easily digested, contains less allergenic constituents. It is possible to use the juice from the stem in diluted form (one tablespoon of celery juice per glass of water or other juice),
- sheet. By its appearance, the plant resembles parsley. It has a delicate flavor and spicy aroma. Vegetables are used as a seasoning for salads and ready meals. For nursing mothers, leaf celery is allowed in small quantities.
How to eat vegetables
Enter the product gradually. When you first try a woman is invited to eat a small piece. Next, within 48 hours you need to carefully monitor the health of the child. In the absence of intestinal colic and allergic reactions in babies, a nursing mother is allowed to consume celery in limited quantities. If negative reactions occur, it is recommended to try again in a month.
It is best to cook or simmer celery. Vegetable is perfect as an additive for broths, as well as for meat and fish in the preparation of second courses.
Thermally processed celery loses some of the nutrients, but saves them in sufficient quantities to benefit the mother and child.
Raw celery nursing mom can be eaten, starting from the sixth month of breastfeeding. But do not get carried away. The rate of consumption of vegetables per day is 5 grams, and per week - 15 grams. A nursing mother is advised to eat celery no more than once a week.
Nursing mom best stew or boil celery
The effect of the product on lactation
The hormone prolactin is responsible for the formation of milk in the woman’s body. Celery contains enough fiber that stimulates prolactin production. Due to this property, the vegetable belongs to the products that increase the formation of breast milk.
In the absence of allergic reactions and intestinal colic, there is no reason to refuse celery - a natural source of vitamins and microelements.
Video: E.O. Komarovsky about feeding a nursing mother
Celery may be present in the diet of a nursing woman. Vegetable is compatible with breastfeeding, if the rules of rational use of the product are observed. The absence of negative reactions in the infant allows the nursing mother to freely enjoy her favorite food. Celery makes a variety in the diet, saturating the body and the mother and child with essential substances.
The benefits of celery and soup
Celery is a fairly common vegetable that grows in marshland and in backyard plots. People who want to lose weight, use the plant for dietary purposes. But not everyone knows about his true beneficial properties:
- cleansing the body
- diuretic effect,
- fat burning effect
- slowing the aging process
- replenishing the deficiency of vitamin and mineral reserves,
- stabilization of the nervous system
- tonic effect
- normalization of the digestive system,
- stimulation of the liver and kidneys.
Celery practically does not contain substances that bring the body harm. It is used daily to maintain the work of the whole organism. The presence of vitamins of group B, P, C, natural acids, essential oils in the vegetable composition will ensure the stability of the internal organs and improve immunity.
Minerals such as phosphorus, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, potassium, contribute to the normalization of the digestive tract. As a result, excess fat splits. Removes excess fluid. The body is completely cleared of toxins. Celery is recommended for people suffering from an ulcer, gastritis, duodenal disease, and constipation.
Additionally, read about the diet for pain in the stomach and intestines.
Vegetable due to its rich vitamin and mineral composition will help improve the vision, the structure of the skin, hair and nails. Under the influence of nutrients, cell renewal occurs, which helps rejuvenate the body.
Celery allows you to replenish energy reserves for the whole day. The plant helps to relieve fatigue, improve sleep, increase efficiency. Vegetable is recommended to a strong half of humanity to maintain potency due to the presence in its composition of the male hormone - androsterone.
It turns out that celery has been used for weight loss since ancient times. Queen Nefertiti remained beautiful and slim throughout life thanks to the miraculous plant. Watch the video:
Celery Soup Diet: Rules and Features
The duration of the dietary regimen will be seven days. Those who wish to lose weight will have to eat the first dish of celery three times a day for a week. Besides, allowed to include in the diet other products:
- yogurt, kefir, low fat milk,
- Dietary meats and fish
- fruits, vegetables, berries,
- olive oil.
The list of prohibited foods that will have to be abandoned during the diet:
- potatoes, besides baked,
- fried foods
- bread and pastries
- confectionery products
- sausages, sausages, etc.
- carbonated and alcohol-containing products.
Despite such restrictions, you will not go hungry. Celery soup provides the body with 3-4 hours of satiety. The collapse will not be due to the supply of energy reserves during the use of the first dish.
Celery Soup Diet considered completely safe. Due to the replenishment of nutrients, the body is not experiencing stress. Internal organs work in a regular mode, receiving invaluable support.
Consider a sample diet for a week. For breakfast, lunch and dinner we eat celery soup. If there is a frequent feeling of hunger, an extra plate of the first course will not hurt. In addition, the following products are allowed:
- Monday. We eat any fruit, except for bananas. We drink green tea and purified water.
- Tuesday. Raw or pickled vegetables and herbs, except dried beans. For lunch, bake some potatoes. We drink water.
- Wednesday. Arrange fruit and vegetable day. Exclude bananas, potatoes and beans. We continue to drink water.
- Thursday. Repeat the previous day - vegetables and fruits. Today you can relax and eat three bananas. In addition to water, it is allowed to drink milk.
- Friday. Low-fat beef meat in boiled or baked form is about half a kilogram. Fresh or pickled tomatoes. Drink up to eight glasses of water. Meat can be replaced with lean fish.
- Saturday. Boiled beef or fish - no more than 500 grams. Vegetables without restrictions, except potatoes. We wash down with clean water.
- Sunday. Vegetable day. Brown rice as a side dish. We drink juice without sugar and water.
It is important to observe drinking regime. The amount of water consumed, in addition to other beverages, should not exceed two liters.
Basic rules of diet:
- Do not use prohibited products.
- Food can not fry, only bake slightly.
- You can not make to the diet of new products.
- Observe strictly the above regime.
- We make weight control.
Choosing for yourself the type of diet food, be sure to consult with a specialist.
Celery stalk soup
Prepare the ingredients. Cut 200 g celery sticks, 400 g fresh white cabbage (or cauliflower), 2-3 onions, 5 tomatoes, 1 bulgarian pepper, greens and spices to taste.
The components are mixed and sent to the pan. Fill with water so that the vegetables are covered. Cook over medium heat for a quarter of an hour, stirring occasionally. Далее накрываем суп крышкой и оставим настояться минут на двадцать. Блюдо готово.
Суп из корня сельдерея
We need the same ingredients and tomato juice in a volume of 150 ml. Instead of stems we will use celery roots. Prepared by analogy, vegetables are placed in a saucepan, and pour tomato drink. To make the components completely covered, add plain water.
The cooking process will take no more than 15 minutes on medium heat. Then cover the soup tightly with a lid, and leave to simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes. The first dish is ready to eat.
Celery Tomato Soup
Prepare the vegetables. Cut celery roots into straws - 200 g, one head of cabbage, medium-sized carrots - 4-5 pieces, fresh tomatoes - 6-8 pieces, onion - 5 pieces, large bell pepper - 1 piece, tomato juice - 1 liter, greens, spice.
Fill the finished mass of vegetables with tomato drink and ship to the stove. Let's wait for boiling, turn down the fire and leave to boil for another 15-20 minutes, tightly covered with a lid. Add seasonings just before the start of the meal.
Celery cream soup for weight loss
Dietary dish is prepared from the stems of the plant in the amount of 4-6 pieces. In addition, prepare onions and carrots and 1 piece of broccoli - 400 grams. We carefully wash the vegetables and cut them into cubes or straws as they are used to.
First, prepare the vegetable broth. In one liter of water we throw onions with carrots and cook until half cooked. Then add broccoli with celery and cook some soup. Grind the finished dish in a mashed potatoes using a blender. At the end add 15-20 grams of olive oil. Some greens will decorate diet soup.
Harm and contraindications
Despite the benefits of diet food, celery is not completely safe. Before you begin the process of losing weight, you need to familiarize yourself with the contraindications. The plant is prohibited for use in food to the following persons.:
- Elderly people.
- Patients suffering from diseases of the genitourinary system. The diuretic effect of celery will lead to deterioration.
- Patients with diseased vessels, especially varicose veins.
- Celery juice is contraindicated for pregnant women in the third trimester.
- Nursing mothers are not recommended to eat the plant in order to avoid imbalance in the body.
- Patients suffering from severe gastrointestinal diseases: gastritis, ulcers, pancreatitis.
There is a paradox. If the disease of the digestive system is mild, then celery has a beneficial effect. In severe illness, eating a plant aggravates the situation.
It is clear that the result of the diet will depend on the initial body weight. The higher the weight, the more extra pounds will be spent in a week. Individual features of the body will also play a role.
Judging by the reviews, most people who have experienced a diet based on celery soup were satisfied. For the first seven-day period, you can lose up to 5 kg on average. If the diet lasts fourteen days, the average value will be 12 kg.
In the absence of contraindications, the seven-day course can be continued until the desired results are obtained. The advantages of this method of losing weight is that extra pounds will not return for a long time. But on the way out of the diet to overeat is still not worth it.
Experts recommend that people losing weight once a week hold fasting days based on celery soup. Alternatively, you can take 2-3 tablespoons of juice plants on an empty stomach. Remember that there are contraindications. Be sure to consult a nutritionist!
Celery Varieties and Their Properties
It must be borne in mind that the plant changes its appearance, biochemical composition and healing properties depending on the species. Small differences arise when considering individual varieties, but when breastfed, they can be ignored. It is recommended to use the vegetable fresh, but it is allowed to add to snacks, soups, hot dishes, pickle, freeze, dry. When breastfeeding is not allowed to use all of the following methods of preparation.
The main types of celery:
The adult plant forms a rounded root crop with a diameter of up to 20 cm. The pulp is dense, juicy, it tastes sweet-bitter, with a sharp spicy aroma. The biochemical composition is represented by vitamins (A, B1A b2A b5A b6A b9, C, E, H, PP), macronutrients (potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus), trace elements (iron), dietary fiber, organic acids, flavonoids. Celery root can be eaten fresh, boiled and baked.
Vegetable helps to cope with overwork, increases efficiency. Improving the taste of food can reduce daily salt intake. Regular addition of 100 g of root vegetables to the menu per day normalizes blood pressure during hypertension, helps with anemia and anemia, improves the condition of the skin, hair and eyes. Celery root has a diuretic effect, strengthens the nervous system and immunity, promotes concentration of attention and memory.
On a note! Despite the many beneficial properties of this vegetable to use when breastfeeding is not recommended.
Variety refers to the lowest calorie foods. The energy value of 100 g is only 7-13 kcal, whereas about 20 kcal is spent on chewing on coarse fiber. The best way to lose weight and cleanse the body of toxins. The flavonoid containing apigenin kills cancer cells. Celery stalks are included in the diet menu with excess weight, during the period of acute respiratory viral infections, are added for general health promotion and with beriberi.
This is the only type of vegetable recommended for use during breastfeeding, because it is easier to digest and contains less allergens. A high concentration of dietary fiber accelerates the digestive tract, increases the activity of the beneficial intestinal microflora, eliminates the processes of decay in the stomach. With regular use of the product improves memory and cardiovascular system, poor cholesterol is displayed, the product helps to cope with a sense of fatigue. Stem celery has a diuretic, sedative, analgesic action, lowers blood pressure.
On a note! Most of the healing properties are preserved only when eating fresh vegetables.
It looks like parsley. Rich in vitamins, minerals and other healthy nutrients. Interferes with the formation of kidney stones, destroys existing ones, therefore it is prohibited for people with large formations in the urinary system to use. Regular addition of celery herbs to salads helps to improve digestion, combats avitaminosis. It is recommended for atherosclerosis, gout, rheumatism, nervousness, sleep disturbances, stress, fatigue. The benefits of celery have also been noted for migraine, obesity, asthma, anemia, oncology, tuberculosis, blood and heart diseases. Fights cold, constipation. When breastfeeding baby, eat greens is undesirable. The leaves have a pronounced aroma that can lead to the rejection of the child from the breast.
The benefits of celery when breastfeeding
Vegetable helps young mother to cope with stress, overwork, overweight, problems with stool, anemia. Regular use in small quantities normalizes the activity of the gastrointestinal tract, strengthens the body's defenses, restores the balance of fluids, improves blood flow, the condition of the skin and eyesight. Is it possible to eat celery regularly, in each case the pediatrician decides. In the absence of obvious contraindications, it is allowed to start introducing it into the diet when the baby is a little older and stronger.
For some women, drinking the smoothies from the stems while breastfeeding helps to improve the secretion of milk. In addition, the latter is enriched with vitamins and mineral nutrients necessary for the full growth and development of the infant. It is not necessary specifically, through the power of eating a vegetable, the product will bring benefit only when receiving pleasure from food.
Rules for the use of celery in the period of GW
The product should be added to the menu in accordance with the general recommendations for expanding the menu. It is necessary to take into account the peculiarities of the body of the infant, to ensure that there are no contraindications. Celery during lactation is allowed to enter into the diet of a nursing woman 3-4 months after birth, provided that the baby is completely healthy.
The first time to try a small piece of fresh stem should be in the morning. After that, monitor the well-being of the child for the next 2 days. If there are no problems, the new product did not cause indigestion, anxiety, allergic reactions and sleep disorders, you can gradually add celery after heat treatment, gradually bringing the volume to 100 g per day. If you experience unpleasant symptoms, you should postpone the vegetable for another couple of months.
On a note! When breastfeeding is recommended to keep a food diary, so that with any problems of well-being of the infant it is clear what this could be caused. Do not forget about enough drinking mode.
Is it possible to eat celery in the first month after birth?
When breastfeeding this product should be treated with caution. A high content of active nutrients can harm a small body. In the first month, eating celery in any form is prohibited. In the newborn, the digestive system is only being formed. Disorders in the mother's diet, especially systematically repeated, immediately affect their well-being. In addition, the aggressive components of the product can cause allergic reactions, gastritis, dysbiosis in the future.
Celery based recipes for nursing mothers
The plant has the greatest benefit when it is consumed fresh. But during the period of natural feeding, it is recommended to subject the vegetable to heat treatment, which reduces the aggressive effect of the active ingredients, softening the taste and aroma. Allowed to cook salads with fresh celery, soup, stew, vegetable side dishes. The product helps to reduce the amount of salt, because it makes dishes tasty without it. Most of the vitamins during the heat treatment is stored when cooking steamed.
On a note! Feature of cooking celery is that the stem should be cut quite large. The less the pulp touches the metal, the more useful nutrients will remain. In hot dishes it is recommended to add it last.
- Celery Celery - 300 g,
- Peking cabbage - 300 g,
- fresh cucumbers - 300 g,
- canned corn - 200 g,
- chicken egg - 4 pcs.,
- sour cream for refueling.
- Wash vegetables, dry, chop.
- Boil eggs, peel from the shell, chop.
- Stir all ingredients.
- Fill with sour cream.
- peeled celery - 700 g,
- onion - 1 pc.,
- butter - 20 g,
- vegetable oil - for frying,
- salt to taste
- water - 0.9 l.
- Rinse the stems, chop.
- Onions clean, wash, chop. Season in vegetable oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add celery. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour in water, salt, leave under a closed lid for 30 minutes.
- Mass grind in a blender, reheat.
- When serving, add butter.
- stem celery - 2 sticks,
- grated root of fresh ginger root - 1 tsp,
- green apple - 1 pc.,
- lemon juice - 2 tbsp. l
- Wash celery, pass through a juicer.
- Do the same with the apple.
- All components mix, mix with a mixer.
On a note! With breastfeeding, it is allowed to prepare this fresh juice only if the baby does not have allergies and intolerances to all the components included in the recipe.
Choosing a quality product
Fresh celery is a rich green color with different shades. The presence of mechanical or putrefactive damage, mold, multi-colored specks is unacceptable, especially when choosing products during the period of natural feeding. The stem should be juicy, broken up with a distinctly audible crunch.
Do not buy a vegetable with a seed arrow. Late celery is characterized by poor taste, bitterness, low content of healthy nutrients. Fresh product stored in the refrigerator. The stems can be slightly broken and folded in a glass dish with a lid.
When breastfeeding, celery celery is allowed to enter into the menu 3-4 months after giving birth. It is important to monitor the well-being of the baby, at any discomfort to put off the vegetable for a couple of months, then try again. Keeping a food diary and observing the drinking regimen is mandatory.
Although the plant has a lot of useful properties, the feeding period is a special time when it is necessary to take into account how the product will affect the body of the baby.
- The newborn is very sensitive to many products. This number includes celery. Doctors strongly recommend not to eat this product until the child is six months old. Despite all its benefits, it can cause colic, distention of the tummy. Because of this, the child will be restless, sleep will worsen.
- Some substances are present in celery, the use of which can lead to allergies, especially in the sensitive organism of the infant. Allergenic substances in the product are relatively few, but for a baby this will be enough to cause unpleasant symptoms. This may be itching, rashes and unpleasant burning sensation, if the young mother will use celery in the first months of feeding.
- Celery contains a lot of fiber. It has a positive effect on the adult organism, as it improves the digestion of food, cleanses the intestines from accumulated harmful substances. For a baby, this may cause some difficulties, since his digestive system is not yet fully formed. In infants because of this, you may have problems with the work of the stomach and dysbiosis.
How to start to use
The composition of celery suggests that it certainly needs to be consumed by a nursing mother. But due to the characteristics of the body of the baby, it is better to start doing about six months after the birth. To trace the reaction of the body crumbs, you must start eating celery in a very small amount.
When a young mother starts to use celery, her milk production will significantly improve. If a negative reaction to the product does not occur, you can safely eat celery. After all, it will bring a lot of benefits - it will make a woman's diet more useful, as celery will fill the lack of many substances needed by the body.
can arugula be breastfed
The composition and properties of celery
The beneficial properties of celery were known at the time of the pharaohs: the leaves of this plant were found in the tomb of Tutankhamun, who died in 1323 BC. e. And although in those days the vegetable was not eaten, it was used for medical purposes and for decorating houses and temples during the holidays.
The Ápium graveólens (as its proper Latin name sounds) includes:
- ascorbic acid, which is a natural antioxidant and necessary for the normal functioning of bone and connective tissue,
- oxalic acid, muscle stimulating,
- glutamic acid, which plays an important role in the functioning of the nervous system,
- potassium, necessary to maintain the acid-base and water balance in the body,
- calcium, which regulates intracellular processes and is responsible for the strength of bones,
- phosphorus, which prevents diseases of the skeletal system,
- carotene (provitamin A), which suppresses the production of free radicals, as well as plays an important role in the functioning of the organs of vision and mucous membranes of the body,
- B vitamins that regulate a variety of processes, ranging from growth and development and ending with reproductive functions,
- Vitamin PP, involved in the formation of enzymes and various redox reactions,
- Vitamin E, which prevents the occurrence of hypoxia and strengthens the immune system,
- vitamin K, regulating the work of the kidneys,
- pectins, which are excellent natural sorbents and positively affect the work of the gastrointestinal tract,
- flavonoids with antimicrobial properties, strengthen blood vessels and, presumably, reduce the risk of cancer,
- essential oils.
Celery positively affects the whole body
Due to this rich chemical composition, celery has a huge number of positive properties:
- lowers the pressure
- improves digestion and reduces bloating
- normalizes cholesterol levels
- has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties,
- promotes weight loss
- is a diuretic to prevent urinary tract infections,
- improves immunity
- regulates the heart,
- maintains water balance
- prevents the development of cataracts.
Celery and lactation
Theoretically, celery is an excellent vegetable for nursing mothers. Cellulose contained in it helps prevent constipation in mom and colic in the baby. Iron helps to quickly compensate for blood loss during childbirth. Vitamin C stimulates the immune system.
Cellulose is a type of complex carbohydrates that cannot be digested by human stomach enzymes, but useful for the intestinal microflora and the general functions of the digestive system. Главными продуктами, богатыми клетчаткой, являются прежде всего стебли и зёрна растений — по сути, именно клетчатка (или «пищевые волокна») формирует их плотную структуру.
Despite the fact that fiber is practically not absorbed by the body, it plays a crucial role in digestion, providing mechanical movement of food through the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, it helps regulate and level blood sugar levels, thus affecting the feeling of hunger and satiety, helping, ultimately, weight loss.
However, during lactation, celery can be eaten in limited quantities and not earlier than the baby will be one month old. Some doctors recommend that nursing mothers abandon this vegetable until the child is 3–4 months old. Why are there restrictions on the use of such a wonderful product?
First, celery is a small group of foods that can trigger a serious allergic reaction in a certain percentage of people. The most dangerous in this sense, the seeds and vegetable oil. They contain a huge number of allergens that do not collapse even during heat treatment. And if the mother most likely knows that she is not allergic to celery, negative reactions can occur in the baby.
Secondly, the gastrointestinal tract in newborns is still immature and a large amount of celery eaten by mom, instead of preventing colic, can provoke them.
And, thirdly, celery is a vegetable with a pronounced taste and aroma. He is able to influence the taste of breast milk, which may not like your baby.
Therefore, celery should be introduced into the diet with caution, tracking any negative manifestations of the health of the newborn. Try to eat a small piece of celery, previously thermally processed (for example, add it to the soup or stew). If within two days the baby does not have allergic reactions, eat a small piece of raw celery. If your baby responds well to it, you can include celery in your diet. However, keep in mind that nursing moms are recommended to eat celery no more than 3 times a week and at the same time not more than half of the petiole at a time.
Celery, like other potential allergens, should be taken into the diet of a nursing mother with care.
Also, with caution you need to eat celery mothers who have serious kidney disease, since the diuretic properties of celery can provoke an aggravation of the disease.
There are three main types of celery: stalked, root and leaf. While you are breastfeeding, choose your stalked (or stem) celery because it contains the least amount of allergens.
Nursing mothers better to eat stalked celery
The boy, who went to the same kindergarten group with my son, was allergic to celery, carrots and dill. The doctor explained to his mother that this rather common situation is called cross-allergy. Moreover, the baby's allergic reaction to celery manifested itself at about three months, when a nursing mother tasted celery salad at a party. But the carrots and dill she could eat quite calmly - the child showed an allergy to them only when he started to introduce complementary foods.
Cross-allergy is a specific reaction of the body to several allergens that have a similar structure. With it, a person who responds to one irritant may have similar symptoms when in contact with other substances.
As a rule, cross-allergy is associated with a similar set of amino acids in different allergens: our immune system begins to "confuse" one with another. For example, a person who usually reacts to birch pollen can also give an allergic reaction by eating an apple or a sweet cherry, and those who are allergic to ambrosia do not tolerate sunflower oil and melon.
Cooking celery correctly
Many chemical compounds contained in celery (for example, flavonoids) are destroyed during cooking at high temperatures. Therefore, if you want to keep the maximum amount of nutrients, eat celery raw in salads or cocktails. And if you still want to add it to a hot dish, make sure that the vegetable processing does not last more than a few minutes.
Celery is not consumed in its pure form, since it is not very tasty in itself. However, it is widely used as an additional ingredient in many recipes.
Be careful: some components in the proposed recipes (for example, honey or nuts) are potential allergens for your child, while others (for example, cream) in large quantities can provoke gastrointestinal upset.
- 2 large apples
- 1–2 celery stalks,
- 2-3 tablespoons of raisins,
- 1 orange (optional),
- yoghurt dressing.
- Cut apples and celery into equal cubes.
- Soak the raisins with boiling water for 15–20 minutes, then drain the water.
- Chop the nuts.
- Mix apples, celery, raisins and nuts. If desired, add orange slices.
- Season the salad with yogurt.
If you want something sweet, prepare yourself a fruit salad with celery
Fruit and Vegetable Salad
- 1 small head of cabbage,
- 4 celery stalks,
- 2 green apples
- handful of grapes without seeds (optional),
- 6 tablespoons of light mayonnaise,
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar,
- 50 g of walnuts.
- Finely chop the cabbage.
- Celery and apples cut into cubes.
- Cut the grapes in half.
- Break walnuts into large chunks.
- For dressing combine mayonnaise and vinegar.
- In a bowl, mix the prepared vegetables and fruits, cover with dressing and mix well. Sprinkle with nuts.
Low-calorie salad of cabbage, apples and celery is perfect for a small snack
Fruit and Vegetable Juice
- 4 celery stalks,
- 1 apple
- 1 carrot,
- 1 teaspoon honey.
- Wash vegetables and fruits thoroughly and cut them into large pieces.
- Squeeze out the juice with a juicer and add honey to it.
- If you do not have a juicer, cut all the ingredients and grind them with a blender until smooth. Then strain through a sieve or several layers of gauze and squeeze.
Fruit and vegetable juice quenches thirst and refreshes
Types and composition of celery
Celery juice is used to treat many diseases of internal organs.
Celery is a “many-sided” vegetable, because it eats both root vegetables, stems, and leaves. Celery root has a fleshy round tuber with white flesh. It is peeled and used to prepare side dishes, salads, vegetable stews, eaten raw and after heat treatment. The taste of the product is specific, resembles parsley-flavored potatoes.
Celery stalk is green, juicy and tender. It is most often eaten fresh or stewed, and marinated, salted. Popular with supporters of a healthy lifestyle are smoothies with the addition of fresh celery stalks. The product is low in calories (only about 18 kcal per 100 g), while it contains fiber and a rich set of vitamins and minerals.
Leaf celery is usually used in fresh or dried form as a seasoning for a wide variety of dishes - salads, side dishes, vegetable stews, added to marinades. Its aroma resembles parsley, but softer, with spicy notes.
Depending on the culinary destination, you can choose the appropriate plant variety. Celery is grown for tubers, its stems are less powerful than those of stalked varieties, but they can also be eaten. Sheet variety is cultivated for lush and juicy greens, it is usually a small root, which is not suitable for cooking.
The high nutritional value of celery is due to the presence of the nutrients necessary to maintain good health and strong immunity. During the period of breastfeeding, the diet of a woman especially needs diversity, but there is no place in it for potentially dangerous products for the infant. Celery contains "dubious" ingredients that can provoke rashes and colic in newborns. For this reason, the introduction of the product should be postponed for 3-4 months after delivery, in order to allow the crumbs of the digestive system to get stronger and be able to assimilate the useful celery nutrients without negative consequences.
We list the most important vitamins and minerals contained in celery:
- Vitamin A and beta carotene. Essential for acute vision, as well as maintaining the beauty of skin and hair.
- Vitamins of group B. Ensure the stable functioning of the nervous system, participate in the metabolic processes of the body, improve metabolism.
- Vitamin C. Supports immunity, helps fight colds.
- Vitamin E. It has a positive effect on the condition of the skin, fights against premature aging.
- Potassium. Strengthens blood vessels and the heart, improves blood circulation, reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- Calcium. It provides the strength of bones, teeth, the integrity of cartilage tissue.
- Magnesium. Helps fight stress, anxiety, improves sleep quality.
- Sodium. Supports the work of the heart, prevents muscle cramps.
- Phosphorus. Necessary for the full absorption of calcium, a participant in metabolic processes in the body.
- Iron. Required to normalize the level of hemoglobin in the blood, proper oxygen metabolism at the cellular level.
One of the most famous properties of celery is the ability to cleanse the body. Vegetable has a slight laxative and diuretic effect, stimulates the active secretion of gastric juice to speed up digestion. In addition, celery belongs to the products with a "negative" caloric content due to the high content of fiber and water in the composition. This means that the body spends more energy on digesting a product than it receives from its use. These properties of vegetables are especially appreciated by nutritionists, and celery is often included in the diet menu for weight loss.
Photo Gallery: how the vegetable looks
Celery stalk can be eaten fresh or added to various dishes
Celery leaf has a small root, the greens of the plant are used as food
Celery can be grown on the garden in central Russia
Before eating, the root is peeled