What do the gums look like when the first teeth erupt in infants?
The eruption of the first teeth of a child is an unforgettable moment for many parents. Sometimes this process goes unnoticed by others, and from time to time the baby pleases mom and dad with a new tooth. However, in some children, the eruption is painful - the child's behavior changes, he becomes capricious and restless. We will understand what are the symptoms of the eruption of the first teeth and how to help the crumbs during this period.
The main symptoms of teething in infants
Symptoms of teething of the first teeth may differ in different children, which can be seen in the presented photos. However, pediatricians identify several common points, in varying degrees inherent in many babies at the age of about six months (and sometimes older).
As a rule, the child may experience the following symptoms: swelling of the gums, increased salivation, poor sleep, anxiety. In some cases, babies develop rhinitis with fever, upset stool.
Consider the most typical manifestations, which may indicate that the crucial stage of life has come for the child and soon he will please the mother with a new tooth.
The newborn baby already has the beginnings of milk teeth, which for the time being sit deep in the gums. Soon there comes a time when the teeth begin their way to the surface, gradually moving through the thick of the soft tissues. This process is accompanied by swelling of the gums, as well as soreness.
Gums when teething can barely noticeably swell, and can significantly inflame, become loose and painful. In some cases, there is swelling and even hematoma. Such phenomena frighten inexperienced parents, but are quite physiological. At this time, it is worthwhile to ensure that the child does not gnaw hard objects on the swollen gums, as children often injure the inflamed mucosa. Babies are given specially designed for massage toys, teethers of elastic material.
Just before the appearance of the tooth on the gum, you can see a white strip - a crown of the incisor translucent through the soft tissues. Sometimes instead of a strip, a tooth appears in the form of white dots. It is important not to miss the moment of the onset of stomatitis, which can also manifest as white dots in the oral cavity. The sooner treatment is started, the faster the crumb will feel relief.
Increased salivation from 3-4 months
Salivation is another bright symptom of teething in babies. This phenomenon has a wave-like character. Sometimes the baby sputters incessantly, abundantly wetting her chin, chest and abdomen. After a while saliva becomes less, then its formation increases again.
Usually the crumb begins to drool long before cutting the first tooth. Often parents notice abundant salivation in an infant as early as 4 months or even earlier, whereas the teeth appear only in half a year. This phenomenon indicates the initial stage of movement of the teeth, which are already going to the surface.
One of the disturbing symptoms of teething is the change in the behavior of the crumbs. The kid cries for no reason, his mood changes dramatically and often, his sleep is much worse. The problem is that the mother does not always understand why the baby is crying and worries about how the baby gets sick.
How to accurately determine whether the concern of the baby with the fact that his teeth are cut? There are no universal tips. However, it is worth exploring the oral cavity, which can tell a mother about many things. If the change in behavior is observed against the background of swelling and swelling of the gums, it can be assumed that the child will soon show the first tooth to the parents.
Temperature, diarrhea and rhinitis
In addition to typical manifestations, more severe symptoms may occur during the presentation. Consider them in more detail:
- Temperature rise. If the temperature does not exceed 38 ° C, and also lasts no more than three days, it is likely that this is a teething symptom (we recommend reading: how can the temperature be reduced to the teeth of a child under one year old?). At the same time, the thermometer reads above 38 ° C, temperature fluctuations can be signs of ARVI or another disease.
- Diarrhea. Doctors also associate this symptom with teething. The liquid stool can be the result of abundant salivation - part of the saliva of the infant swallows and thereby increases the number of bowel movements. There are other explanations for diarrhea associated with the fact that the baby is biting its teeth (we recommend reading: can there be diarrhea on the child’s teeth?).
- Rhinitis. A runny nose may be the background of the entire period of the presentation. This is because the blood supply to the gums and nasal mucosa is anatomically connected. During eruption, the gums swell and are most actively supplied with blood, which leads to the activation of a similar process in the nasal cavity. It stimulates the glands of the nasal mucosa that produce mucus. Rhinitis during teething is almost always a transparent snot, which is quite a bit, but it can last for quite a long time - from 1 to 4 weeks.
In what sequence are the teeth cutting through?
Teeth are usually cut according to a certain schedule. Most often they come out in pairs. The photo shows the order in which the teeth should go in children, how the incisors, canines and molars look. Consider the timing and sequence of their appearance:
- the first are the lower central incisors - 6-7 months,
- after about a month, the upper two front teeth are cut through - 8-9 months,
- the upper incisors of the “two” continue - 9-11 months,
- after - lower lateral incisors - 11-13 months,
- the first chewing teeth (lower and upper molars) extend from 1 to 1.3 years,
- Then comes the time of canines - they appear in 1.6-1.8 years,
- the last are the second molars - 1.8-2.5 years.
This scheme is only conditional, since for each baby the timing may vary slightly. Pediatric dentists and pediatricians recommend parents not to panic if the child has a teething time different from the average values in one direction or another for 2-3 months. If the difference in terms is greater, it is worth visiting a specialist to find out possible problems.
Signs that should alert parents
Although the teething symptoms are quite eloquent, they can be confused with the onset of the development of the inflammatory process. In this regard, with the slightest indisposition baby is best to consult with a pediatrician. Consider the signs that are the reason for seeking medical attention:
- Temperature exceeding the reading of the thermometer at 38 ° C or having a prolonged nature. Perhaps the child ORVI or there was an internal inflammatory process.
- When rhinitis mucus from the nose of the baby looks thick, has a yellow-green color. Such a runny nose could go into sinusitis, frontal sinusitis.
- Diarrhea lasting more than three days if the contents of the diaper are too liquid, like water. Also pay attention to the number of bowel movements per day - they should not be more than 4. Otherwise, we can talk about an intestinal infection.
- In the mouth of the baby, in addition to swelling of the mucous membranes, the presence of plaque is noted. Perhaps the addition of fungal or bacterial infections that cause stomatitis.
- Gums when teething greatly increased in size, flux was formed.
How to help the child?
In the arsenal of parents, there must be means that can help a child survive a difficult time until all his teeth come out. In addition to special teethers that can be pre-cooled, a number of medications are used. There are also folk remedies for reducing pain during teething, time-tested. Consider them in the following sections.
Medications that can help reduce the manifestation of painful symptoms in a child can be divided into three groups. These are painkillers, topical preparations and homeopathy. Parents should choose those to which the child responds well, and be sure to comply with the recommended dosage.
Teething symptoms in young children
The beginnings of future teeth are formed during fetal development at about 7 weeks gestation. The time of their eruption is completely individual. In some babies, the teeth climb at 5 months, and in others, almost a year. The lower incisors erupt first, this happens at about 6-9 months. Then almost immediately cut the upper incisors (7-9 months). The full "set" is going to be 2-2.5 years.
As a rule, parents begin to look for the first signs of a newborn baby for 4 months. Capriciousness and excessive salivation are immediately attributed to the teeth. Symptoms of teething milk teeth in infants:
- Swollen gums. Gums when teething swell up, increase in size (we recommend to read: what can smear gums when teething a child?). This means that the crown is already coming out of the bone and heading up. The kid begins to pull in his mouth fingers and any foreign objects. In the photo below you can see what the swelling and swelling looks like.
- Abundant salivation in a child from 3 months. Increased secretion of saliva is aimed at softening and soothing the inflamed mucosa.
- Sleep disturbance and poor appetite. The process of cutting is painful, therefore it affects the behavior of the child. Permanent discomfort makes it difficult to sleep and eat.
- Temperature increase to 38-39 degrees. This is a kind of response of the body to a stressful situation. The temperature is strayed by children's antipyretic drugs (syrups or suppositories); consultation with a pediatrician is required. Often parents confuse the “dental temperature” with infectious diseases, as these processes can occur simultaneously.
- Runny nose Snot appear almost always (we recommend to read: how can parents distinguish snot on teeth from cold?). The condition of the mucous membranes in the mouth and nasopharynx is interrelated. Swelling, swelling and inflammation of the oral mucosa signals the possible presence of infection. A runny nose appears as a defensive reaction of the body.
- Cough. Occurs with excess saliva in the mouth and throat, which interferes with breathing freely. The child simply chokes with excess fluid. Tooth cough is short-term - no more than 2 days.
- Diarrhea or vomiting (we recommend reading: teething diarrhea: treatment options). The child swallows more saliva than usual. Its chemical composition affects the work of the intestines, which becomes the cause of loose stools.
- Excitability, capriciousness. During this period, the baby becomes capricious, does not sleep well, does not eat, cries a lot. The deterioration of the emotional state is due to pain, other discomfort, fatigue (the child does not sleep) and other unpleasant symptoms.
It is important to remember that the symptoms of the appearance of teeth are easily confused with an infectious disease. If fever, runny nose, cough or diarrhea lasts more than 2 days, you should immediately contact your pediatrician.
What do gums look like when teething, why do they swell?
In the photo, you can clearly see the condition and general appearance of the gums when teething. They differ from the healthy and normal mucous membrane, which has a pale pink shade.
How does the gum in children:
- the mucous becomes red and swollen,
- gum when teething changes its structure (becomes loose),
- as the crown is ejected, a white spot appears on the surface of the gum,
- when a sharp crown reaches the surface of the gum, a small wound or abrasion occurs.
The above signs can be seen in the photo, they are a variant of the norm and are found in all infants. Sometimes there is a characteristic white or yellow bloom (in a large amount of saliva there are many bacteria), small hemorrhages in the form of red dots (if blood vessels are touched).
Swelling of the gums is a natural and easily explained process. Initially, the dental germs are deep in the alveolar process. Gradually, they grow, increase and begin to push out, which is called teething. The crown first makes its way through the dense bone tissue. This difficult stage is not accompanied by pronounced symptoms or visual manifestation.
Swelling, redness and swelling appear when the crown passes through the upper soft gum tissue (the presence of a tooth becomes noticeable). Hyperemia due to tissue damage. When the teeth are cut, their sharp edges actually cut through the soft tissue. As you know, any such damage causes swelling or inflammation.
Can blood appear on the gums when teething?
Often the eruption is accompanied by unpleasant complications that alarm and frighten parents. These include hematomas, copious hemorrhages or hemorrhages, sometimes bleeding.
Blood on the gums is very rare. This happens when the capillary breaks at the moment when the crown has just cut through the surface of the mucosa. Usually, bleeding is preceded by prolonged and severe swelling of the gums. Gums bleed for a few seconds, then everything passes. A single case is not a serious concern. If the blood appears systematically, you need to consult with a specialist.
The second complication is a hematoma in the hood of the gum. It appears at rupture of blood vessels until fully erupted. The color of the hematoma is usually with a blue, purple hue. This indicates accumulation inside the blood and other fluids.
In the photo above you can see what the hematoma looks like. Often it passes by itself when the cutter completely comes out. If swelling is severe, medical attention may be required. Doctors cut through the gums, ensuring the flow of exudate. At home, it is strictly prohibited to do this.
How to alleviate the condition of the baby if his gum is swollen and sore?
When the gums are swollen and unpleasant symptoms appear, many pharmacological novelties come to the aid of children and parents, which relieve pain and discomfort. You can use the recipes of traditional medicine, which helped our mothers and grandmothers.
First you need to get a teething toy. It is pre-placed in a refrigerator or freezer - a cold rubber toy dulls pain and scratches gums safely.
Popular homeopathic medicines, which should reduce the overall symptoms.
Preparations for children are divided into the following groups:
- local painkillers
- complex homeopathy,
- painkillers for oral administration.
Local analgesics are represented by gels, they are in the first-aid kit for almost all modern parents. The advantages of such gels include convenient application to the gums, quick effect and antiseptic properties. Within the first minute the mucous "freezes" and becomes insensitive. Among the shortcomings note the short duration of the effect and unpleasant sensations in the mouth. However, the effect of pain relief is enough, while the child falls asleep.
The most famous gels:
- Kamistad Gel (Baby),
- Dentinox Gel-N,
Homeopathic medicines act in a complex. They affect the entire process as a whole, accelerate it and facilitate the condition of the baby. Such products contain only natural and safe ingredients, therefore they are allowed even for the smallest. They must be used clearly according to the instructions.
- Viburcol - candles,
- Dantinorm Baby - drops (we recommend to read: Dantinorm Baby composition and instructions for use),
- Dentokind - tablets (we recommend reading: instructions for use of the drug Dentokind),
- Pansoral - gel and others.
Analgesics and antihistamines for internal use are prescribed only by a doctor. Unlike the first two groups, these medications are indicated when there are serious symptoms or complications:
- Drops Fenistil (since birth) and Parlazin (after 1 year) - antihistamines. They are prescribed to relieve and reduce swelling of the mucous membranes in the mouth and nasopharynx, eliminate itching or burning gums. Antihistamine medications help reduce runny nose and inflammation.
- With severe pain or fever, the use of antipyretic drugs is indicated (they also act as painkillers). Suitable for children (necessarily suitable for age) suspension or suppositories based on ibuprofen or paracetamol (Nurofen, Panadol, etc.). Before you start taking the medication, you need to consult a pediatrician. He will appreciate the need for its use, as well as select the most appropriate means.
- Tea based on chamomile, lemon balm, lavender and catnip will soothe the baby and reduce pain. Dry ingredients need to be mixed in equal proportions. A tablespoon of the finished mixture pour a glass of boiling water and insist 10-15 minutes, then strain. You can drink this tea throughout the day.
- Wipe the mouth with a strong decoction of chamomile or make compresses. If the broth is diluted with water, you can drink it in the form of tea.
- Гвоздичное масло в стоматологии помогает детям и взрослым. Оно обеззараживает и обезболивает. Чистое масло гвоздики будет жечь, поэтому его нужно развести оливковым или миндальным маслом в соотношении 1,5:1. To process the received solution to process the inflamed place.
- To wipe or compresses used a decoction of sage, calendula, oak bark. You can use one ingredient or mix it. The ingredients relieve inflammation, decontaminate, reduce pain and itching.
In which cases, inflamed gums may indicate the presence of disease?
The growth of milk teeth in a child is accompanied by a decrease in the body’s immune defense and an increase in its vulnerability to pathogenic microflora. Often, the symptoms that parents refer to as “dental” indicate health problems.
- Black spots on the mucous membrane indicate not only the hematoma, but also the presence of infection in the form of gingivitis or stomatitis. They join with poor oral hygiene, a weak immune system.
- White spots or plaque indicate both the beginnings of crowns and dental problems. Similar signs are found in stomatitis, calcium deficiency (when breastfeeding, a nursing mother is malnourished) or inadequate hygiene.
- A high temperature that lasts for more than 2 days may indicate the development of an infectious process in the body.
How many days does the gum swell?
The duration of the persistence of symptoms is individual. It depends on the speed of eruption and the presence of complications. A slight swelling may appear almost a month before the appearance of the tooth itself. At the same time the baby’s health will be normal.
Strengthening of symptoms occurs immediately before the tooth leaves the gum surface. Normally, severe edema and soft tissue swelling disappear within 3–4 days. In different cases, these terms may vary.
The time of appearance of the upper teeth
The process of the appearance of the upper teeth begins from 6-12 months and ends with the eruption at the age of 2-3 years. At first, the formation of central and lateral incisors is noted, followed by cutting of the upper canines and molars.
The timing of cutting the upper and lower teeth (incisors, canines and molars) is as follows:
One tooth can climb for 2 days or a whole month. In some cases, the upper and lower teeth are cut at the same time, the whole process is accompanied by pronounced symptomatology. Kids can change beyond recognition, become excessively irritable and whining. Such a period of child development will require a maximum of patience and tranquility from parents.
Proper and timely formation of teeth indicates a healthy state of the body. In some cases, late eruption is noted. A significant delay may occur due to prematurity, rickets, endocrine dysfunction, malnutrition. This situation is fraught with indigestion and late development of the baby’s organs.
In order to normalize the process, it is recommended that prophylactic doses of vitamin D be introduced into the child’s diet, an increase in the number of calcium-containing products (cheese, cottage cheese, milk) in the nursing mothers menu.
What is the birth of a new tooth?
It is important for parents to remember that the peculiarities of the appearance of teeth in children are largely determined by heredity. Each child process proceeds individually.
In pediatrics, there are several of the most common symptoms of the rapid eruption of new teeth (and in most cases, the upper ones climb more painfully and painfully):
The photo shows the characteristic appearance of the upper gums, during the period when the incisors are cutting
- soreness in the mouth, often the cause of a continuous whine,
- excessive salivation resulting in saliva flow from the mouth and redness on the baby’s skin,
- loose stools, normally not exceeding 3-4 repetitions during the day,
- cough caused by large amounts of saliva
- exacerbation of sucking reflex, attempts to bite, gnaw various objects,
- vomiting, loss of appetite and increased body temperature (up to 38.5 ° C),
- ear pain.
The teething process tends to become more active at night, which causes restless sleep and children's “chants”.
Atypical behavior of the child causes others bewilderment and anxiety. When self-examination of the oral cavity can detect reddened swollen gums and small hematomas.
Complications can be ARVI, bronchitis, intestinal diseases, irritation in various parts of the body. Many of them are the body's response to a weakened immune system.
Photos - a selection, which presents the appearance of the gums of children in the period of teething of the upper teeth:
Help and care for the child
The state of health of the baby in the period of the eruption of the upper teeth requires the closest attention of adults. All family members must carefully observe the cleanliness of the room, carry out the processing of children's dishes and toys, monitor the hygiene of the crumbs.
The order in the house is of great importance. When dust and dirt get into the child’s mouth, the inflammatory process begins to develop rather quickly.
Pediatricians offer modern tools designed to alleviate the condition of babies. These are:
- drugs containing Paracetamol (Efferalgan, Calpol, Panadol), used when a child is 3 months old,
- Ibuprofen drugs, among which Nurofen enjoys great popularity,
- Kalgel, intended for treatment of the oral cavity since 5 months,
- Cholisal in the form of a gel, applied topically to relieve pain in children over 1 year old,
- Viburkol in the form of suppositories, having only natural ingredients.
To alleviate the condition of the child, parents will need to surround him with lots of affection and care. When breastfeeding should be given to the baby's chest on demand. It can distract him from the constant discomfort and pain.
To feed the baby in this difficult period is desirable soft food (baby puree, cereals, yogurt), since solid foods can significantly injure sensitive areas of the gums.
Additional ways to soften the process can be:
- silicone or plastic teethers
- special dental rings,
- finger massage gums using special brushes
- applying cold
Benefit can bring raw peeled carrots, chilled cucumber or banana. They can be used only under adult supervision.
During the period when the upper canines and incisors are climbing (the most painful and unpleasant for the baby), one should refrain from introducing new foods into the diet, as well as visiting places of large concentrations of people. Many pediatricians recommend to postpone for a period of preventive vaccinations.
After eruption, special oral care is required. Children younger than 2 years old can brush their teeth with a special baby brush. Closer to two years it is recommended to use such prophylactic gels and pastes as the children's line “Weleda”, “SPLAT Junior”, foam “SPLAT Magic Foam”.
With the right approach, difficulties and discomfort can be minimized and significantly alleviate the condition of the beloved child.
Why do teeth get so painful?
For a child, each new tooth does not go unnoticed. The most difficult period is considered the formation of the first teeth, causing increased pain and irritability.
Such unpleasant sensations are associated with the peculiarities of the manifestation of each tooth - as it develops, it breaks through the gum, which causes pain and inflammation in it.
When breastfeeding or from a bottle, the blood rushes to the inflamed and swollen gums, thereby exacerbating their sensitivity. The child feels significant discomfort while eating, so he may refuse to eat.
These feelings are new for kids, and as a result they experience strong emotions. Self-selection of remedies may be unsuccessful. The best solution would be to seek help from a pediatrician.
Eruption is a natural and inevitable process, largely affecting the overall well-being of the child. Parents should be aware that the intensity of the symptoms gradually weakens with each new teeth. In the future, the eruption does not cause significant difficulties until the appearance of molars.
Teething along with colic and some other ailments of newborns - this is probably one of the most popular and widely discussed topics among mothers who share their experiences and experiences in various forums dedicated to of pregnancy, maternity and parenting. The first teeth of a child appear according to statistics no earlier than six months.
Many myths are associated with the process of the appearance of milk teeth, for example, that girls cut their teeth faster than boys. This statement, firstly, is not supported by medical research. And secondly, infant development, which includes the growth of teeth, is a purely individual process.
This means that one child will experience early tooth development, and in the second, the first incisors may appear a year or even later. It is important that in this and other cases we are not talking about a lag or rejection, this is just a variant of the norm.
Since the process of the emergence of milk teeth is indeed most often associated with many inconveniences and experiences, both for parents and for children, it is best to know in advance how to determine what the growth of teeth is in infants, and most importantly, how to facilitate this process for the child. . After all, as they say, aware, it means armed.
Teething symptoms in children
How to understand that a child's teeth are climbing? This question worries all parents without exception. It often happens that mothers, noticing the deterioration of their health in babies, do not associate this with the appearance of the first tooth, but think that their child has caught a cold or has caught a virus. This is due to the fact that the first signs of teething in a child are very similar to the development at the initial stage. ARVI or Colds.
In order not to waste their nerves, time and money and not to stuff the baby with unnecessary him, and in addition ineffective drugs, parents simply have to know what symptoms of teething first teeth in infants are and how to help the baby in this situation. Let's first talk about how a child behaves when teeth are cut.
It is noteworthy that although teething is an absolutely normal and natural physiological process for the human body, it, unfortunately, in most cases brings the child a lot of inconvenience that cannot be avoided.
When a child gets teeth, it changes on the eyes, becomes moody and more irritable.
The kid really suffers and feels discomfort, because he first encounters such pain.
Therefore, in this difficult period, parents simply have to support their child and do everything to alleviate his condition.
Children's doctors (for example, the famous doctor Komarovsky) recommend to show as much care and affection to the baby during this difficult period of time for him, more often to embrace and kiss the child.
After all, the best medicine is parental love and the warmth of my mother's hands. And may you not be able to completely eliminate the pain, but your baby will feel your support and compassion. As mentioned above, the first teeth usually climb in six months. However, this does not mean that the first tooth of a child can not appear, for example, at 3 months.
By the way, this age is considered the earliest, according to doctors, when babies can begin the process of teething the first teeth. Modern pediatricians are increasingly saying that each child is unique, and it is not entirely correct to apply uniform norms and rules to all children. An individual approach to diagnosis and treatment is the future of medicine.
It is important to understand that the presence and severity of certain teething symptoms in children under one year of age depends solely on the health status of the particular baby. There are cases, and they are many, when the child almost painlessly tolerates this process and does not experience even half the ailments associated with the appearance of the first teeth.
When a child cuts teeth, the symptoms can be so invisible to others, that parents, finding the first incisor in their baby, can not only rejoice, but also be really surprised.
So, if a child has teeth, then the symptoms may be:
- swelling of the gums and swelling at the eruption site is probably the surest sign that the baby will soon have the first tooth. You can see this symptom with the naked eye, you just have to look into the child’s mouth or feel the “bump” on the gum with your finger. In some cases, a small area may form at the teething site. hematoma (congestion of blood), then it will turn blue. This is considered a variant of the norm, provided that the child is in general normal health. As a rule, the hematoma passes by itself immediately after a tooth erupts. When hit infections on gummay attend abscessorabscess, they also pass by themselves over time. If this does not happen, and the baby’s condition has deteriorated (usually rises temperatureso the body reacts to inflammatory processes), you should immediately contact your dentist,
- increased salivation can also be attributed to the true signs of cutting teeth. Saliva really stands out a lot, and even when the first incisors appear in the sequence, and further, when indigenous molars and canines develop,
- baby's desire to gnaw is due to strong itchy gums, another sure sign that the eruption process is gaining momentum,
- decline appetite, a change in taste preferences or a child’s total rejection of food,
- Changes in the behavior of newborns (irritability, causeless capriciousness) are primarily due to the fact that the child experiences painful feelings at the moment when the teeth are actively “storming” the surface of the gums. In addition, due to increased salivation, irritation or a rash appears on the skin that gives the infant a lot of anxiety.
It is worth noting that the above main symptoms can provoke the occurrence of other concomitant ailments, for example, due to increased salivation. cough and runny nose,irritation and rash on the face as well diarrhea.
Teething cough in children
Quite often, moms ask pediatricians whether they can cough because of cutting teeth, or this symptom speaks of the development of other ailments. The children's body begins to prepare in advance for the appearance of the first teeth. Already in a few weeks and sometimes months salivary glandsbegin to produce many times more secret.
However, the child has not yet learned how to swallow saliva, as without thinking and we are already reflexively doing it - adults.
As a result, saliva accumulates in the throat, especially when the child is lying down.
Baby starts to cough to free Airways from the secret accumulated there.
In addition, due to the large amount of saliva falling into nasopharynx,you can hear wheezing. When saliva falls into the middle ear, the child appears runny nose.
Diarrhea (diarrhea) with teething
Not many parents know that diarrhea a baby is not only a symptom poisoning. Reasons diarrhea can become teeth, more precisely, increased salivation. The thing is that an overly susceptible and not fully formed children's stomach can react painfully to the ingress of saliva with food.
A large number of secret thins chair, and the bacteria it contains provoke indigestion. In addition, with the growth of milk teeth, the entire children's body experiences tremendous stress, which affects the work GIT. As a result, the child suffers from diarrheaor constipationwhich may also be caused by excess saliva.
It is worth remembering that diarrhea, which lasts no more than 72 hours, is considered normal when teething baby teeth. If you notice one of the symptoms below, you should immediately consult a doctor for treatment:
- a change in the color of feces or the presence of foreign inclusions in it, namely the appearance of a black or greenish hue of feces and blood (blood veinlets),
- too frequent stools (more than five times a day),
- the duration of diarrhea is more than three days, and the number of emptyings does not decrease, but on the contrary increases.
Can there be vomitingif teeth are cut? In rare cases, children may experience vomiting during the period of eruption. However, this is quite a rare phenomenon, due also to a strong salivation, in which part of the secret got into the children's stomach with food. It is important to emphasize that if vomiting is associated with diarrhea and these ailments often recur, and besides the child's body temperature rises, this indicates the development of a viral infection.
It is better in this case, immediately consult a doctor for advice. Because without timely treatment rotaviruses, adenoviruses, astroviruses, caliciviruses, norovirusescombined under the same name gastric or intestinal flu, causing severe gastrointestinal disorders, can cause irreparable harm to the health of the child.
What temperature can be when teething
Повышенная температура тела – это сигнал immune system human, indicating those processes in the body that may be caused by the harmful effects of various microorganisms, for example,bacteria or viruses. However, when teething the first teeth, the child may experience high temperature.
However, as a rule, it will not exceed 38-38.5 C. This reaction of the body is due to the presence of inflammation mucous membranes of the oral cavitybecause the teeth go through the gum tissue, i.e. actually damage their integrity. In addition, during this period of time, the baby begins to grab and gnaw everything that comes to his hand and can cause an infection in his wounds.
It is important to understand that a slight increase in temperature may be a reaction to the teeth. Moreover, this condition usually lasts several days.
If the child has a fever for an extended period of time, it is not related to the teeth.
In such cases, you should immediately seek medical help.
You should also pay attention to the fact that not always when a child erupts incisors, molars or canines, the child's body temperature rises.
This means that it would be wrong to attribute the temperature to the main features of teeth being cut. Rather, it is a possible symptom that may or may not be.
About what time the first teeth appear in children, most parents think. Indeed, on the one hand, everyone is looking forward to this exciting moment, when the first tooth-handsome one “settles” in the baby's mouth. On the other hand, mothers understand that this period of time can be difficult because of possible ailments.
How teeth erupt in infants, photos
When do the first teeth begin to grow in babies? A few decades ago, in the medical literature and reference books on the question of when the first teeth appear in a child, an unequivocal answer was given - from 6 months of life.
Modern pediatricians are no longer so categorical, since there are more and more cases when the first teeth get out of an infant much earlier than this time.
Therefore, the question of when the first teeth appear in babies does not have a definite answer, for all children this process begins only when their body is ready for it.
However, parents should worry if their beloved offspring do not erupt into teeth at 6, 8 or 10 months, since the delay in teething is directly related to the delay in growth and development of the whole organism, which may be due to pathologies such as:
- adentiai.e. the absence of the rudiments of future teeth. Not many people know that the basis of milk teeth is formed in children in the womb, at about 6-7 weeks of pregnancy, so it is important for women to get all the necessary vitamins and nutrients for the proper and harmonious development of all vital systems of the fetus. It is possible to diagnose this disease only during x-rays,
- rickets, a disease that develops in infants due to a lack in their body vitamin dwhich plays an important role in masteringcalciumnecessary for the development and growth of teeth.
How much teeth are cut in infants is influenced by such factors as:
- climatic conditions
- water quality and composition,
- the presence of certain diseases, such as ailments associated with the endocrine system,
- baby care.
Teething order in children
We talked about how much the teeth are climbing, now let's deal with the order of their eruption. So when are cut fangs, molars (molars) and incisors?
Terms teething milk teeth in children, table
Consider the above table of teeth growth in children in more detail. The table contains information not only about the timing, but also about the sequence of teething in children. It is important to emphasize that this information on the order of eruption. milk teeth is for reference.
This means that parents should not panic and worry if the order of teething from their baby does not match the information presented in the table. The appearance of teeth, like other moments in children's development, for example, the basic parameters of height and weight are purely individual.
Therefore, there is no point in comparing the order in which the teeth of your baby or the neighbor's karapuz grew. So, what is the order of eruption of baby teeth in babies? And also what teeth erupt first and at what age? It will help to answer these questions and tell you how the scheme suggested above is climbing in children’s teeth.
However, to begin with, let's look at the terminology. The table provides information on how to grow and which baby teeth first appear. Milk teeththey call the original “dental kit” in humans and, interestingly, in other mammals too.
Yes, we are not mistaken, our teeth of cats and dogs and many other animals also have milk teeth, and in their place the second ones grow - permanent. Based on the scheme of appearance of the first teeth, it is clearly seen that the teeth in each half of the jaw, having the same name, for example, the upper and lower incisors or canines, emerge simultaneously, i.e. in pairs.
As a rule, the first two are cut central incisor lower jaw. It can be considered that these are the first teeth that have appeared in babies at 3 months or later. Then, based on the teething schedule in children proposed above and taking into account the principle of pairing, the central incisors in the upper part of the jaw come out.
After them comes the time of the second incisors only already lateral. They can appear either above or below, this is individual. It is considered the norm when at the age of up to one year in children there is a complete set of incisors, i.e. crawl out both upper and lower teeth.
The procedure for the eruption of molars in children
According to the logic behind incisors must follow fangs or "eye" teeth. However, the process of eruption of canines in children begins only after permanent teeth. In the meantime, so-called “dental gaps” are formed in place of the canines.
So, after all four incisors, molars appear - the first upper molars and the second lower molars. And only after all the molars have taken their places, canines come out, which, by the way, are the strongest and most durable teeth.
How long the upper and lower baby teeth erupt
It is considered the norm that by the age of three the number of children fangs and molars compared, and their total number reaches 20 pieces. However, we repeat once again that this is averaged data and in each case the process of eruption proceeds at its own individual speed.
You should not even try to speed it up, because the body itself “controls” the situation, which means that the teeth will appear when needed.
Teething of the upper teeth, photo
The central incisors (lower, upper) appear first in the range from 3-6 months to 10-12 months. Lateral upper and lower incisors - from 7-9 months to 16-13 months.
The first upper molars are cut from 12-13 months to 18-19 months, the second lower and upper molars - from 20-25 months to 31-33 months. And the last lower and upper canines - from 16 months to 22-23 months.
Teeth change, i.e. loss of dairy and the appearance of permanent in their place is also purely individual.
However, on average, the first teeth begin to fall out at the age of 6-7 years, and permanent ones are fully formed by 10-12 years. The incisors change first, and the last appear fangs and molars.
Teething medicines in a child
How to help the child with teething? And what means, when teething teeth in babies, will effectively anesthetize and alleviate the condition of the child? We will try to answer these questions further. As mentioned above, it is impossible to predict in advance the reaction of the child’s body to the process of appearance.
However, even if your baby is relatively easy to bear all the time of a given period of time, and his state of health is still good, you still need to know how to help your child in the event of any ailments associated with teething milk teeth.
The main goal of parents is to make the process of the appearance of teeth for their child as painless as possible.
This can be achieved with the help of various medications that have an analgesic effect, as well as prevent the development of infections and inflammatory processes at the site of eruption of teeth.
So, what are the effective drugs for pain relief:
- gels for example Baby Doctor "First teeth", Kholisan, Kamistad Baby, Kalgel other,
- drops for example DentinoxThis drug is also available as an anesthetic gel.
- gum ointment for example Traumel C.
In addition to the above remedies, the removal of the painful symptoms of teething of milk teeth can help. homeopathy. But with medicinal herbs and plants, as well as with preparations made on their basis, one must be extremely careful. Of course, natural herbal ingredients for the child's body - this is the best alternative to synthetic drugs.
That's only if you have a child allergies, homeopathic remedies can significantly impair the health of the baby. Therefore, before starting their use, you should definitely seek medical advice from a pediatrician. Let's talk about the most popular and well-proven drugs.
Currently, in the pharmacy of any settlement you will be offered a variety of all kinds of tools designed to alleviate the condition of the child when teething milk teeth. Most often, these drugs are produced in the form of ointments, gels or creams. This dosage form is the easiest to use and much more effective. Drugs penetrate deeper into the affected tissue areas and, as a result, the effect of their use comes rather.
So, which teething gel is better for choosing for your child? One of the first and to some extent the main symptoms of the appearance of milk teeth is swelling of the gums in infants. Looking into the child’s mouth, you immediately notice the swollen areas mucous tissue.
It is in these places that teeth will soon appear. You may not even know in advance what the gums look like when teething. Believe me, you will be able to determine this with closed eyes, because a characteristic tubercle will appear on the gum, and the child will constantly try to scratch the area.
Photo gums when teething first teeth
The best will be the gel when teething in infants, which can effectively cope with unpleasant sensations in the gum area, i.e. reduce their sensitivity with the help of cooling and anesthetic properties. How gels, ointments and creams work:
- completely eliminate or help to significantly reduce pain,
- struggling with inflammation in the place of the appearance of teeth
- reduce or eliminate itching completely,
- have a healing effect
- reduce redness and disinfect the mucous membranes of the gums,
- strengthen gums.
Timing of eruption and factors affecting them
Often, the sequence of appearance, the age of onset of growth and the duration of teething in children is laid still in utero during the formation of the jaw of the embryo (3-4 months pregnant). During this period, it is determined: their size and structure, the sequence and age of the first signs of growth.
Therefore, the course of pregnancy during this period and the absence of adverse factors that can change their normal tab is of great importance. The greatest negative impact can have:
- severe maternal illness
- late toxicosis,
- nervous and allergic disorders,
- metabolic disorders
- the impact of harmful factors on the embryo (smoking, alcohol, drugs, radiation, poor environmental conditions),
- genetic abnormalities of the fetus,
- intrauterine infection of the child,
- heredity - family predisposition to early and late growth of teeth,
- climate features
- somatic or infectious diseases in the baby.
Teething symptoms in infants
Symptoms preceding the appearance of the first teeth can be detected long before their true eruption - from 3-4 months. During this period, the baby has an active salivation, capriciousness, sometimes the gums change before teething - there is a slight swelling, looseness, roughness and slight redness.
At the same time, the child pulls hands and various objects in his mouth, the behavior becomes restless, especially in the evening and at night. This is considered the beginning of the passage of bone pathways in the gums and the approach of the tooth to the mucous membrane.
Further redness and swelling of the gums are noted and may appear:
- scant clear mucous nasal discharge (snot),
- rare cough,
- temperature rise,
- loose chair
What do gums look like when teething?
By the time the baby is born, the crowns of all its milk teeth are fully formed and are located in the depths of the alveolar processes of the upper and lower jaw. The process of eruption is a kind of increase in their volume with a gradual pushing out.
However, they first overcome the resistance of bone tissue, and then the soft mucous membrane. It was at this time marked swelling of the gums when teething, itching and pain in the place of their growth.
What do gums look like before teething? In normal condition, they have infants pale pink color. There are no changes (edema, roughness, bleeding, plaque).
In most cases, the cutting pattern looks like this:
- The gums when teething in infants first becomes loose, there is a slight tuberosity and redness of the mucous. The baby becomes restless, does not sleep well and refuses to eat. In some cases, the external manifestations may be absent - it all depends on the pain threshold and the degree of discomfort in the oral cavity.
- After a certain period of time, the swollen gums, when teething, become more sensitive, a slight hemorrhage appears, and then a small wound forms at the growth site and the tip of the tooth crown appears.
A small bruise on the gums when teething is not a cause for panic. In most cases, this phenomenon disappears completely as soon as the baby's tooth comes to the surface of the tissues.
In some cases, possible complications with the growth of milk teeth. These include:
- Blue gum in a child with teething and / or the appearance of a bruise. These signs indicate the difficulty of eruption in the area of the soft mucous membrane - the gums turned blue when teething, a hematoma and persistent swelling of soft tissues appear. The baby is in great pain, not sleeping and constantly behaves restlessly.
- Accession infection. Signs of a local infection process (viral, bacterial or fungal flora) on the gingival mucosa at the site of eruption and in the oral cavity include:
- white or greyish yellow
- mildew rash,
- minor erosion.
How to reduce discomfort?
Ways to reduce discomfort when teething are different and their effect is individual. Often used:
- special anesthetic gels containing various local anesthetics (Dentinox, Calgel, Bobent and others),
- teethers (different models of soft plastic, filled with water), which reduce discomfort, but do not injure the mucous,
- in case of severe anxiety and pain syndrome, the use of painkillers with ibuprofen and paracetamol (candles or syrup) in the age dosage is allowed,
- the use of anti-inflammatory decoctions of medicinal herbs - treatment of the gums with soda solution, decoction of sage, chamomile or oak bark.
If any disturbing symptoms appear (blue gum when teething, severe hemorrhage, increased bleeding), you should consult a pediatric dentist. Sometimes a mucous dissection is required to enable the growth of a tooth.
In no case can one independently dissect and even massage the area of hemorrhage, especially if a hematoma on the gum when teething is observed on a large area and there is marked swelling of the surrounding tissues.
To avoid infectious complications, you should regularly boil it in soda solution or wash all items that your baby takes in the mouth (nipples, teethers, toys).
If you detect symptoms of infection, an urgent need to consult a specialist. During this period, babies have a persistent decrease in local and general immunity, and improper treatment of infectious complications or the absence of their treatment can lead to dangerous complications.
Author: Olga Sazonova, doctor,
specifically for Mama66.ru
What you need to know
Do not immediately worry if the timing of a particular child does not coincide with the values that are considered to be average. The shift occurs for two main reasons:
- severe infections
- features of the course of pregnancy,
- individual characteristics.
At the end of the article we provide a list of conditions that may cause small deviations.
First teeth are cut in children
Often, so-called small lumps become noticeable on the gum, before milk or permanent teeth appear. This happens most often in 2-3 weeks. Such cones are filled with blue liquid from the inside, or remain transparent. In no case do not think about the pathology, any disease. No intervention is required, except that periodic check-ups with doctors will not be superfluous. Bloody moisture should be released only if the size increases. The incision is made by the doctor, who noticed the eruption of the upper teeth in infants. Symptoms, photos of the gums are described in detail on our website.
The timing of the appearance of teeth in children
- How does this happen?
About two dozen follicles of temporary teeth are found in a newborn child, in the inner part of the upper and lower jaws. For permanent teeth there are 16 buds. As for the other 16, they are formed a little later.
The development of the lower jaw is the fastest. On children's teeth, enamel is characterized by a rough and porous surface, while there are few trace elements here compared to the mineralized enamel, which all adults are endowed with. There is a risk that multiple caries will develop, if you do not build the right diet, do not care for your teeth. Or do not treat them with special compounds that accelerate the mineralization.
- Permanent upper teeth in infants. How long do they erupt?
We apply to the article the scheme number 2, where you can see a detailed answer to this question. At the end of the dentition are the so-called molars. The first they begin to appear. But they are especially vulnerable to caries, as they have cavities or fissures to the surface responsible for chewing.
Baby teeth teething scheme
How do the upper teeth crawl in children? Photos you can view at the end of this article. In the teeth that have just been cut, there are very few minerals. Their number is only 10 percent of the substances in the teeth in adults. Fluoride gels and varnishes are used for treatment at least once every three months. It is believed that the first teeth do not need to be cleaned. Meanwhile, due to poor mineralization, they are more susceptible to the development of bacteria causing caries, therefore the issue of hygiene requires the closest attention.
Next, we will talk about how to cut the upper teeth, the photos presented in this article will be a good example.
What are the symptoms?
They appear in 3-5 days. It will help to imagine how the upper teeth of children are cut through the photos of inflamed gums, presented below. Symptoms persist until the teeth themselves pass through the gum.
When does a baby have first teeth?
The main manifestations are as follows:
- irritation of chest, mouth and chin, rash in these places,
- salivation increases,
- the child wants to relieve the itching, because he bites everything that gets into the hand,
- the baby refuses to eat, his appetite worsens,
- sleep problems start,
- children become irritable.
- in the place of teething, the gums swell and swell.
There are some additional signs
Normal temperature rise is unacceptable. If this happens - you should look for other, associated inflammatory processes, and not just look at how the upper teeth are cut. Symptoms associated with fever, characteristic of viral or herpetic stomatitis, colds.
First teeth in children
It is worth worrying if there are visible on the mucosa:
- inflammation of the gums bright red,
- small erosion, surrounded by inflamed mucous, usually bright red,
- small bubbles, inside of which is a turbid, clear liquid.
This is how stomatitis manifests itself, in herpetic form. After birth, children gradually have less and less antibodies to the herpes virus, initially they pass from the mother. It is necessary to distinguish the physiological redness of the gums during normal dentition from the symptoms of diseases of the oral cavity. It clearly shows how the upper teeth erupt, the photo below. Pay attention to the integrity of the mucous membrane, the presence of erosion, suppuration, multiple vesicles filled with fluid.
The eruption of the upper teeth of the child - photo.
Children's "Panadol" will help to cope with the increase in temperature, if it still happened. It is produced in the form of candles, suspensions.
Mucosa - the appearance of hematomas
Sometimes the gums may swell when the upper teeth are climbing. Symptoms include a bluish tinge on the mucous membrane. But intervention is not required even in such situations, only if the neoplasms increase in size. Then do not do without a small cut. Otherwise, the bloody fluid does not release.
Cough should not appear when babies' upper teeth appear. Photos on our site will help to understand how everything should look. The only possible reason is the release of saliva in large quantities. From time to time she finds herself in the respiratory tract, and not in the esophagus, which is why she coughs.
Because of this, vomiting may also occur. Experts advise caution if this symptom is accompanied by a violation of the stool, fever. A runny nose at such moments also appears, but, most often, due to colds.
Diarrhea, vomiting and fever are not related to how the upper teeth climb. Photos confirm this. The causes of such problems are rotoviruses, intestinal infections and other infectious processes. Then you can not do without the help of a pediatrician, call him to the house.
If the inflamed gums of a bright red hue are noticeable, herpes sores, you should seek help in the treatment of a pediatric dentist. But the pediatrician in such cases will be able to prescribe treatment.
Examination of the child at the doctor during teething
Pediatricians are simply not familiar with the forms and rules of stomatitis. And they do not know how one of its form differs from another. But in each situation requires different drugs.
How to care for baby teeth
Hygiene must be observed even before the moment when the upper teeth of a child are climbing. Twice a day, the gums are cleaned in babies of infancy. To do this, use a clean bandage, moistened in boiled water and wound on a finger, or fingertip from a fabric base. After the appearance of teeth hygiene products should be different. Foams, pastes, toothbrushes - it is important to choose products that are suitable for children under 4 years of age.
Are there serious violations
Complications may occur due to diseases previously suffered by the baby. Or because of the problems of the mother, if they were during pregnancy. Because of this, there is not enough space for the appearance of new teeth, the jaw is deformed.
In this case, you need to make an x-ray, go to the doctor to examine the jaw visually. Only after receiving treatment is prescribed, individually. One of the known pathologies, visually detectable without problems, is hypoplasia. It manifests itself stained on the surface of the mucous membrane. Or small grooves, pits, grooves, stripes.
Teether toy for gums, which will help relieve itching at the time of teething.
Teething - because of what and how deviations appear
The first and second half of pregnancy is the time when the diseases and problems of the mother have a particularly strong effect on the future health of the baby.
- It is not recommended to expose yourself to stress
- risk factors are toxoplasmosis, rubella and infections,
- unpleasant consequences occur with acute respiratory viral infections with high temperatures, pneumonia,
- kidney disease should be avoided
- toxicosis in the first 6-7 months of pregnancy
There are other unpleasant phenomena that can lead to disorders in children in different periods.
- Problems arise if you have to completely abandon breastfeeding.
- Toxicosis occurs.
- There are states that cause seizures.
- Often transferred to acute respiratory viral infections, pneumonia was transferred.
- Sepsis in newborns.
- The conflict between organisms due to the difference in blood type, rhesus.
- Weariness, prematurity.
Use a toothbrush is recommended, starting from the age of 2 years. Caries will develop with greater probability if there is not enough fluoride in the drinking water for children. His daily intake must be compensated by organizing food for children aged 2 to 14 years. Of the simplest pain relief remedies, the usual cold is worth mentioning. It will help reduce swelling. Special gels or ointments with analgesic effect are produced, their use is permissible. Medical drugs are taken after the prescription is issued by the attending physician.
Experts recommend using a toothpaste with fluoride. But its content should be lowered so that the element does not cause side effects, even if the child swallows the paste.
The period and sequence of the eruption of the first teeth
Factors negatively affecting the tab of the teeth:
- pathology of the mother,
- toxicosis in the last trimester of pregnancy,
- nervous and allergic diseases,
- metabolic disease,
- bad habits of the mother (smoking, alcohol and drug use),
- genetic predisposition
- infection of the child with various infections in the prenatal period,
The first pair of incisors appears in the baby in six months. Teething through the gums at the age of 4-9 months is the norm and should not disturb the parents. First, the lower central incisors erupt, then the upper ones. At about 9 months, the baby has molars. After a year, fangs begin to grow. By the 3rd year, the process of formation of the chewing apparatus ends. The exact scheme with the age is shown in the photo.
If the teeth begin to grow after 3 months, this is considered normal. Rapid formation occurs due to the intake of the mother during pregnancy of vitamin complexes or the use of large amounts of fermented milk products. If the first teeth are cut to 3 months, this may indicate hormonal disorders.
Teeth climb in pairs. If the growth of teeth occurs in a different sequence, you should consult with a pediatrician or dentist. It is worth noting that each child is an individual, and the process of teething in some babies can drag on or go much faster than their peers. Parents need to be patient and surround the baby with attention and care during this difficult period for him.
The first signs that appear long before the eruption
The rudiments of the teeth are formed in the prenatal period, they are located in the depth of the alveolar process. The eruption process is an increase in the volume of the teeth and their pushing out. One can notice the first symptoms of the appearance of teeth long before they appear, since their growth begins to disturb the baby at the first advances of the processes outwards.
As a rule, at this time, children become capricious, their sleep and appetite are disturbed. Breastfed babies begin to ask for breast more often in order to alleviate their condition. Some, on the contrary, refuse to eat. Sleep problems are also associated with pain that occurs at night. The child falls asleep for a long time, often wakes up and cries.
Symptoms of teething, the appearance of gums
The main symptoms of teething:
- Gum changes. As a rule, the structure of the gums becomes looser, their color changes. Teething is accompanied by the appearance of inflammation and swelling of the gums (see the photo). This is because the sharp edge of the incisor traumatizes the soft tissue. At this time, the baby begins to pull fingers and toys into his mouth, trying to scratch the disturbing place, because there is a strong itch.
- Capriciousness. The growth of teeth gives the baby strong discomfort, while he sleeps worse and shows less activity during the day. The baby looks tired. He cannot yet tell his parents what bothers him. It is necessary to take the child in his arms more often, shout at him less. Classical music and calm melodies favor the nervous system.
- Abundant salivation. In this way, the body reacts to changes. If there is a lot of saliva, it can cause irritation of the face or a rash.
- Runny nose The appearance of mucus in the nose is due to the ingress of saliva in the nasopharynx. At the same time, the mucus remains clear and liquid and does not change its color and consistency. Nasal congestion is not observed, snot calmly flow out.
- Cough. This symptom is also due to saliva ingestion. Cough infrequent, during the attacks of liquid sputum.
- Digestive disorders. If saliva gets into the digestive system, it causes a change in stool. As a rule, the child has diarrhea. It should not be mucus and blood. Infrequent vomiting or regurgitation may occur.
- Increased body temperature. Most often, the temperature rises during the period of teething through the gums, which is swollen. It should not rise above 38.5 degrees and last longer than 2 days.
Changes in the state of the gums with the growth of teeth
- Looseness of tissue, the appearance of redness. The general condition may not change if the baby has a high pain threshold. With severe discomfort, babies become moody and tearful.
- Swelling of the gums, the formation of a small wound (see picture). When a tooth cuts through the edge of the gum, it swells, a wound appears in this place, in which hemorrhage can be noticeable. After some time, the edge of the tooth will appear in this place.
In what cases can similar symptoms indicate the presence of a disease?
During the period of the appearance of teeth, it is necessary to closely monitor the health of the infant. This process weakens the immune system, so the child can get sick even from mild hypothermia. Teething symptoms that are easily confused with the onset of the disease:
- Runny nose The mucus due to the growth of incisors always remains clear and fluid. If the nature of the discharge has changed, the snot has acquired a greenish tint, has become thick, nasal congestion has appeared, which interferes with normal breathing, this indicates the addition of infection in the upper respiratory tract.
- Cough. Coughing during eruption is infrequent with the release of liquid sputum. If a child has frequent, long-lasting coughing episodes without mucus secretion, the baby should be shown to a doctor. A dry cough may also indicate a disease of the lower respiratory tract.
- Change stool. Frequent, profuse diarrhea with streaks of blood or mucus is a reason for treatment to the pediatrician. Perhaps, against the background of a weakened immune system, the infant became infected with a dangerous disease of the digestive system. Frequent and abundant regurgitation, vomiting "fountain" should alert the parents. In such situations, you must call the doctor at home.
- High body temperature. Fever above 38.5 degrees, lasting longer than 2 days, is not a symptom of teething. This symptom indicates the development of a serious infectious disease.
How to help the child and rid him of unpleasant feelings?
The main task of the parents is to help the baby cope with unpleasant sensations. It is necessary to devote more time to the child, to take him in your arms, if the baby feels better through close contact. Abundant salivation and increased body temperature lead to a lack of fluid, so you should ensure that the child frequent and abundant drinking.
Medical methods of pain relief:
- Local gels with anesthetic effect. It is necessary to lubricate the swollen gum of the baby with the drug 3-4 times a day. Gels have a short-term effect (not longer than 2 hours), but quickly relieve pain.
- Painkillers and antipyretic drugs. With high body temperature and severe anxiety, it is allowed to take ibuprofen (Nurofen) or paracetamol (Efferalgan) based products. You should carefully study the instructions for use and not exceed the permissible dosage, because Some components of the drug cause adverse reactions.
- Anti-inflammatory decoctions. Cooking decoctions of chamomile, oak bark or sage can be at home. It is necessary to pour herbs with boiling water, insist for several hours, cool and strain. Inflamed gums when teething is lubricated with ready-made decoction. Such drugs have anti-inflammatory and disinfectant properties.
- Teethers (as they look, see the photo). Special devices can reduce discomfort and itching. They accelerate the growth of the tooth and distract the baby. There is a wide choice of the teethers made of different materials and having various cost. As a rule, they are filled with gel or water. Before use, it is recommended to disinfect and cool the fixtures.
Milk teeth teething pathologies
There are cases when, at the age of 1 year, not a single tooth appeared in a child. Such a condition can speak of pathology, so you need to consult with a pediatrician. Causes of late tooth appearance:
- metabolic disorders
- lack of vitamins and microelements due to unbalanced nutrition,
- late introduction of complementary foods
- diseases of the endocrine and digestive systems,
- frequent illness of the baby,
- premature birth
- genetic predisposition.
Other eruption pathologies:
- Blue gums (cyanotic). This condition arises due to rupture of the small blood vessels of the gums during teething. Небольшое изменение цвета опухшей десны не должно вызывать опасений, т.к. является нормой.With a strong blue in the face, consult a dentist. In some cases, it is necessary to make a small incision at the point of exit of the tooth in order to facilitate the process and release the accumulated fluid and blood.
- Black gum. The formation of a hematoma in the soft tissue hood may indicate the development of stomatitis and gingivitis.
- White spots. Most often, the appearance of a white strip is a physiological process and speaks of the thinning of the gums, through which the enamel is translucent. This symptom is a sign of poor oral hygiene, calcium deficiency and stomatitis.