Fish oil during pregnancy - the benefits for the woman and child
Fish oil causes polar associations in the post-Soviet space: since the 30s of the XIX century, scientists substantiated the vital necessity of its mass consumption in the USSR, in the 70s with the same categorical it was removed from production. The current version of the dietary supplement containing Omega-3, vitamins A, D, and E differs from the previous one in its manufacturing technology and composition. Modern medicine has made significant progress in research on metabolic processes, which allows us to differentiate the need for bioactive food additives (BAA) and prescribe their optimal dosage.
The composition and benefits of fish oil
The main natural component of the drug is polyunsaturated fats, which are not produced in the human body on their own, come into it with plant foods (nuts, seeds, legumes), fish and in small amounts of meat dishes. Omega-acids contained in fish oil are involved in the process of tissue renewal and hormone production. With a chronic deficiency of these substances in the diet, depression, muscular weakness, pain in the joints, reduced immunity and the risk of cardiovascular, endocrine and nervous diseases occur.
In fish oil there are fat-soluble vitamins A and D, which have antioxidant functions, protect cells by acting on the epithelium, muscle and bone tissue. The main function of another component, vitamin E (tocopherol), is to prevent the oxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids.
Causes of deficiency of substances contained in fish oil:
- lack of admission: unbalanced diet and lack of sun exposure,
- violation of the process of absorption: due to pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract and endocrine system, inflammatory and stressful processes in the body.
Strengthening of nerve cells and stimulation of brain activity help to preserve the psycho-emotional balance and contribute to sufficient hormone production for conception and preservation of pregnancy.
Omega-acids and vitamins stimulate the body's antibacterial protection, help to cope with inflammation, affect tissue safety and blood supply to the placenta, alleviate toxicosis, and help overcome the threat of premature birth. Fish oil during pregnancy has a beneficial effect on the fetus: vitamin D provides intrauterine skeletal development and prevention of rickets in the newborn, vitamin A is involved in the formation of nerve cells and organs of vision, Omega-3 improves brain function.
Can pregnant women drink at different times and at the planning stage?
During the period of preparation for motherhood and pregnancy, any intervention in metabolic processes should be based on medical indications. The task of supporting the immune system or targeting the metabolism is solved in a comprehensive manner, taking into account the general history: information about living conditions, chronic pathologies and heredity, as well as a history of past diseases, operations and injuries.
In addition to general laboratory tests, before the appointment of fish oil need to conduct specialized blood tests:
- complex analysis for unsaturated fatty acids - omega-3 index,
- test for 25-hydroxyvitamin D,
- analysis of vitamin A (retinol).
Laboratory results will help determine the deficiency of substances and adjust the dose when prescribing the drug. The main functions of fish oil at the planning stage and during pregnancy:
- wellness - supports vital functions, carries out disease prevention and adaptation of the body to the state of pregnancy,
- protective - helps to restore metabolic processes after medical treatment, prepares for long-term use of antibiotics and other synthetic drugs, mitigates their harmful effects during administration.
Forms of release of fish oil and their differences
The main ingredient of the drug has a natural origin, so the exact content of omega-fats and other nutrients depends on the quality of raw materials, extraction technology, storage conditions. Some types of fish oil are enriched with synthetic vitamins during production.
The drug is available in liquid form and in capsules. Marking “for pregnant women” usually stands on the capsule dosage form, which is the best option for excluding the gag reflex after ingestion. Gelatin sheath protects the drug from acidification, limiting exposure to light and air. Accurate dosing is another advantage of capsules. The liquid form may contain flavors to absorb unpleasant odor and taste, which should not be combined with pregnancy in order to avoid an allergic reaction.
It should be noted that the capsule form is not an unconditional quality parameter of the drug. Preference should be given to reputable manufacturers who indicate in the product passport the exact composition, indications for use, list of adverse reactions.
Often, the instructions contain only general formulations about which hood technology was used, and which particular oceanic fish served as raw material for the preparation, even expensive products of well-known brands are certified as food products, not medicinal products. In order to properly navigate the market, you need to consult a doctor who prescribed the drug. Detailed information about the supplement can be found in the special directories and reports of independent laboratories, but it is easier for a specialist to understand them.
Rules for taking the drug during pregnancy
Fish oil is useful for the reproductive function of men and women. Accepting the course 2-3 months before the planned conception will increase the chances of success.
Fish oil in the early stages of pregnancy is assigned less frequently than during the period of more active physiological growth of the fetus. The drug can be prescribed in cases where there is a history of missed abortion and miscarriage, or after identifying:
- hypertonus of the uterus,
- vitamin A and D deficiency,
- iron deficiency anemia.
For a period of 20-25 weeks to the list of indications are added:
- screened intrauterine growth retardation,
- the small size of the tubular bones of the fruit,
- premature aging of the placenta, in which the nutrition of the fetus is disturbed,
- the risk of preeclampsia - high blood pressure and edema in the mother.
For the overall healing effect of the drug is taking into account the seasonal characteristics of the diet and climate. The optimal reception time is from September to May. The standard course lasts 1 month, prolonged use is not advisable due to the fact that the beneficial substances of fish oil have the ability to accumulate, the supporting effect is maintained after the completion of the reception.
The standard daily dose recommended for pregnant women is 300-350 mg of the active substance - Omega-acids. Depending on the concentration of the active substance in the preparation, the daily dose is contained in 1 or 2 capsules. The multiplicity and duration of the intake are specified by the doctor, who may prescribe an additional intake of vitamin E to improve absorption. You can drink fish oil during or immediately after a meal. It should be stored in the refrigerator, avoiding exposure to negative temperatures.
Contraindications and precautions
The probability of the content of heavy metals in fish oil is increased due to their concentration in the fatty tissue and liver of fish, so it is important to observe the dosage and to avoid taking excessive doses. Otherwise, there is a glut of vitamins (hypervitaminosis), which can lead to congenital abnormalities of the child, serious disorders of the kidneys and other conditions dangerous to the health of pregnant women.
Medical indications for the use of fish oil should be supported by blood test results. Without laboratory data growing accurate dosage is impossible.
Possible adverse reactions in pregnant women
As a rule, fish oil does not cause adverse reactions. If the following symptoms occur in pregnant women, it is necessary to immediately discontinue the drug:
- nausea, loss of appetite,
- diarrhea, constipation,
- high blood pressure
- inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose and throat,
- lethargy, fatigue.
The drug helps to thin the blood and may increase the risk of bleeding, especially in early pregnancy and in the prenatal period. The tool slightly reduces blood pressure.
The benefits of fish oil during pregnancy
The benefits of fish oil during pregnancy are great, due to its omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins D and A, trace elements (iodine, calcium, iron, bromine, selenium), antioxidants, which have a pronounced positive effect on the body of a pregnant woman, on the fetus , as well as throughout pregnancy.
The benefits of fish oil for the body of a pregnant woman:
- boosts immunity
- improves the cardiovascular system,
- normalizes the work of higher nervous activity,
- reduces cholesterol,
- inhibits inflammation, especially in the placenta (due to the increase in anti-inflammatory lipids),
- improves the condition of mucous membranes, skin, hair and nails,
- reduces the manifestations of toxicosis (reduces nausea),
- It has a positive effect on the psycho-emotional state of a woman, due to an increase in the production of serotonin (the hormone of happiness).
The benefits of fish oil for the fruit:
- helps to improve intrauterine nutrition of the fetus, by improving blood flow in the placenta,
- increases the weight of the newborn
- reduces the risk of allergies in the newborn,
- mandatory component of the normal formation and development of the nervous activity of the fetus and organs of vision, due to the content of retinol (vitamin A) in fish oil,
- ensures the proper formation and growth of the skeleton due to the content of vitamin D in it, which may also be the prevention of rickets in the future.
- has a positive effect on the mental development of the child,
- helps to reduce the risk of diabetes in a child born to a mother who suffers from it during pregnancy.
Effect of fish oil during pregnancy:
- reduces the risk of preterm birth
- helps to reduce the risk of preeclampsia (late toxicosis),
- improves the function of the placenta and uteroplacental circulation.
Consuming fish oil in the postpartum period:
- breast milk production improves,
- decreases the risk of depression after childbirth.
The use of fish oil during pregnancy is even more beneficial than the use of seafood, which in sufficient quantities contain omega-3 fatty acids. This is due to the fact that they can contain toxic substances (for example, mercury) that are not contained in the fish oil dosage forms (liquid, capsules), which is correspondingly safer for a pregnant woman.
Do not forget about the conditions in which fish oil should not be consumed during pregnancy:
- Diseases of the thyroid gland.
- Kidney disease - urolithiasis (urolithiasis), a chronic form of kidney failure.
- Pulmonary tuberculosis (its active form).
- Use fish oil with vitamin complexes, especially D and A, in order to avoid oversupply (hypervitaminosis), which is even worse than a disadvantage.
Before taking fish oil during pregnancy, you should consult with your doctor (obstetrician-gynecologist, general practitioner), who observes the pregnant woman and, if necessary, undergo additional methods of examination.
With fish oil, many who were born in the 70s, 80s and even a little later, are not the most pleasant memories. This odorous product, which was not pleasant for everyone, was made to be taken in kindergarten, at school, in a maternity clinic, and in a maternity hospital; some were persistently forced by mothers and grandmothers. Indeed, fish oil has been considered an irreplaceable source of vitamin D for a very long time, without which, according to pediatricians of the Soviet period, a child would simply have to have rickets.
Then this product has lost its relevance, because it became possible to get water-soluble vitamin D. Today, to drink this supplement or not, whether to give it to children, parents decide on their own.
Fish oil has a natural origin. It is obtained from the liver of fish cod breeds. The color can be yellow and even reddish, it all depends on what kind of fish belonged to. To obtain fat fish caught in the northern seas. By the way, the first to discover the beneficial properties of the product were the Norwegians in 1862.
The product, indeed, has a peculiar smell, but those who adore herring will even like it. But it's not the color and smell. Fish oil contains not only vitamin D, but also Omega-3 fatty acid. In addition, it is rich in vitamins A and E.
Both fish oil and fish oil can be found on sale. These two products are distinguished by the composition - in fish oil more Omega-3, and in fish - vitamins.
Can I drink fish oil during pregnancy? Yes it is use in the absence of separate contraindications is quite possible. In addition, there are forms of release, adapted specifically for pregnant women - the product is used in highly purified capsules that mask the unpleasant odor well.
The benefits of the product will be not only for pregnant, but also for the emerging and growing in the womb of the baby:
- in the first trimester, it is easier for women to take fish oil to tolerate toxicosis, naturally, if the pregnant woman does not have intolerance to fish and fishy smell,
- systematic use of the product reduces the likelihood of allergies,
- Omega-3 promotes the production of serotonin, the so-called hormone of pleasure and happiness, due to which the future mother improves mood, decreases the likelihood of the onset of depression,
- the probability of miscarriage and premature birth is slightly reduced due to the presence of vitamin E,
- despite the fatty base, the product contributes to the regulation of weight - it will definitely not succeed in getting fat when it is regularly taken,
- the presence of large amounts of vitamin D helps the absorption of calcium from food and supplements, respectively, the condition of the nails, teeth and hair of the woman improves, and the child gets enough calcium to form his own bone skeleton,
- Glycerides in the composition of the product improve the digestion of a pregnant woman, accelerate the metabolism, are a good prevention of constipation and indigestion,
- retinol contributes to the development of the child's organs of hearing and vision,
- Omega-3 has a positive effect on the process of myelination of the cerebral cortex, there is a perception that such children later have a higher intelligence and learning abilities, although scientists disagree (they consider intelligence to be an inherited genetic factor)
- The composition of fish oil helps prevent the development of diabetes mellitus in the fetus and the inheritance of this serious illness if the expectant mother suffers from it.
Prevention of rickets for a child taking the drug during pregnancy is not considered, although some public sources indicate this. Vitamin D does not accumulate in the body of the fetus during its fetal development.
The benefits of the product when planning a pregnancy and when carrying a baby, which for many years has not been in doubt, are now being called into question by many doctors.
Firstly, the product is not so necessary, because vitamin D is included in the composition of all multivitamin complexes for pregnant women, and when a calcium deficiency is detected in a woman by a biochemical blood test, she is prescribed calcium supplements and vitamin D separately.
Secondly, fish oil may itself be an allergen. In addition, he has his contraindications, although the product is not considered a drug.
Contraindications and harm
The liver in the body of a living creature performs the function of a natural barrier, a filter for cleaning the blood of toxins, harmful substances that can get into the body with food, air and water. If the fish do not smoke and do not take alcohol, this does not mean that their liver is completely healthy and free from all accumulated harmful substances.
Fish live in areas with different environmental conditions. They can live in the waters where they discharged petroleum products, as well as other by-products of society. As a result, the liver of such fish will not be the most useful product.
Extracting fat from the liver affected by toxins and radioactive substances, poisons and chemicals is a matter of manufacturers' conscience. Since the product is not a medicine, it is not subject to mandatory certification and quality control. And this is a great loophole for manufacturers who are no different to honesty.
It is quite difficult to choose fish oil, and therefore it is possible that a woman will acquire exactly the product that is contraindicated in all respects in an “interesting position”.
Противопоказан продукт всем беременным, которым на это не дает согласия лечащий врач. То есть самовольный прием добавки к пище исключен. Нельзя принимать средство и в конце третьего триместра. На этом сроке старение плаценты идет быстрыми темпами. But they can accelerate even more due to the presence in fish oil of quite a large amount of vitamin A.
The product is contraindicated in women with tuberculosis, urolithiasis and kidney failure, diseases of the liver and thyroid gland. If a woman has high levels of calcium (hypercalcemia) or elevated cholesterol, supplementation is also contraindicated.
If the composition of vitamins that a pregnant woman takes, vitamin D is presented in a daily dosage adapted for pregnant women, you should also not take fish or fish oil separately to prevent the development of an overdose of this vitamin.
Definitely worth in the period of carrying a baby to abandon the idea to drink fish oil for women who at least once in their life had signs of allergy to fish or other seafood.
Doctors strongly do not advise taking the product to pregnant women who have diseases of the cardiovascular system and exacerbation of gastrointestinal ailmentsespecially pancreatitis and gallstone disease.
The undesirable side effects of fish oil on the body of a pregnant woman include the occurrence of diarrhea, the development of headaches, increased blood pressure, decreased appetite and in some cases nausea.
It is believed that in the earliest terms the product can reduce blood viscosity, and therefore can lead to miscarriage or the development of bleeding in women with prerequisites. In large and unreasonable quantities, the product has a teratogenic effect, an excess of vitamin A can lead not only to the aging of the placenta ahead of time, but also to the formation of fetal malformations.
Rules of application
It is undesirable to take fish oil without special evidence. In certain situations, it can help expectant mothers who have been diagnosed with delayed fetal development. The exceptions are cases of fetal malnutrition in the 3 trimester. If the pregnancy is nearing its natural end, it is dangerous to take the product. for the condition of the placenta.
But in the early stages at a slow pace of development of the crumbs, the doctor himself can give recommendations to drink fish oil. If a woman bears a baby in the winter season and at the same time refuses to take multivitamins for future mothers, then fish oil will be very useful.
The main thing to remember is that a pregnant woman cannot drink this supplement constantly and systematically. Fish oil can be drunk only in courses. Their duration is determined by the doctor. Self-prescribing and self-administered dosage can be harmful.
It is better to take fish oil to pregnant women in gelatin capsules that mask the odor and unpleasant taste of the substance as much as possible. Some manufacturers make flavored capsules, and they may well smell not the liver of mackerel or herring, but strawberries or cherries, the main thing is not to overdo it with flavors that are also unsafe for future mothers.
As part of the course is usually taken a scheme of double daily intake, not more than 1-2 capsules recommended at a time. If a woman gladly takes an additive in liquid form with all its fish flavors and tastes, thenand time should not take more than 1 teaspoon.
The tool can not be drunk on an empty stomach, before eating, it can cause gastric upset. The dosage of the agent for an adult is usually calculated from the knowledge of its own weight - for each kilogram it should be no more than 30 mg of product per day.
During the course of taking a pregnant woman, it is desirable to reduce the amount of fatty foods in her diet. Replace fatty sea fish with more dry or boiled chicken meat, remove vegetable and butter from the diet or reduce their consumption to the minimum values.
Women in an “interesting position” are puzzled by the use of fish oil mainly because the annotation to the packaging of this product indicates that it is contraindicated in pregnancy. Manufacturers are required to make such records, as there is no proven laboratory and clinical trials and recorded data on the effects of the additive components on the mother’s body and the fetus.
The rest of the reviews are quite positive. Expectant mothers emphasize that skin and hair have become much better, digestion has also improved and constipation has receded..
Among the disadvantages is the cost of capsules for pregnant women - this form is many times more expensive than any other, including children's capsules with cherry and strawberry flavors.
Side effects occur, but, according to reviews, not so often.
The benefits and dangers of fish oil for pregnant women - in the video below.
What is fish oil
Fish oil is a product derived from cod liver and fatty fish. It concentrates Omega-3 and other beneficial substances. In essence, this is an active nutritional supplement containing vitamins and a whole complex of valuable microelements.
The advantages of fish oil:
- removes bad cholesterol,
- strengthens the body's defense system,
- reduces the chance of miscarriage
- promotes the development of the "hormone of happiness" serotonin.
The composition of fish oil:
- Antioxidants protect organs from aggressive radicals, inhibit age-related changes,
- Omega-3 and Omega-6, which are fatty acids, thin the blood, prevent blood clots, normalize blood pressure,
- Vitamin A supports the health of organs of vision, is involved in the prevention of cancer,
- Vitamin D is needed for the prevention of rickets in children, indispensable for the formation of bone tissue (read also the article on the topic: Should Vitamin D be given to a newborn? >>>)
- The product also contains iodine, calcium and iron.
Is it possible to fish oil during pregnancy?
Nowadays, many doctors perceive your pregnancy as a disease. Immediately write out a lot of tablets, vitamin complexes and unreasonable analyzes.
If we talk about fish oil, then its purpose is to:
- the body received valuable vitamins and minerals and could resist external influences,
- improve the functioning of the heart and blood vessels
- support the health of the hair and nails of the expectant mother,
Attention! Fish oil is a prophylactic, not a therapeutic drug. It is just a food supplement. No need to pin special hopes on him.
Types of fish oil
In pharmacies, the drug is presented in two forms: capsules and oil solution.
- Capsules protect omega-3 from oxidation in air and by light. In addition, taking the capsules makes it easier to calculate the dosage of the drug. Cleaner fish oil without impurities is packed in capsules,
- The liquid form of the drug is not subjected to such thorough cleaning and may contain some amount of toxins. When opening the container, fatty acids begin to oxidize, so it makes more sense to use small containers.
If we choose, it is better to take fish oil capsules.
Fish oil during early pregnancy
It is best to pay attention to this drug at the preparatory stage for pregnancy. Usually it is prescribed 2 months before the planned pregnancy.
- The main reason for the appointment of the drug in early pregnancy is the threat of miscarriage and uterus tone (read the important article on the topic: Uterus tone in early pregnancy >>>)
Fatty acids have a beneficial effect on the elasticity of the muscles, relax them.
But a similar effect can be achieved and proper, reasonable nutrition during pregnancy.
In order to provide the baby with all the necessary vitamins from the first weeks, read the book Secrets of proper nutrition for the future mother >>>
- The second reason for the appointment is the lack of vitamins A and D, also confirmed by blood tests, iron deficiency to prevent the development of anemia,
- In addition, it is noted that the drug relieves the symptoms of toxemia in early pregnancy, the bowels work is normalized (read the article on this issue: Toxicosis in early pregnancy >>>)
- The use of fish oil in the second trimester helps to cope with edema and high blood pressure. Also, metabolic processes in the tissues of the placenta are activated, and the child can fully receive oxygen and other beneficial substances,
But, this is only an auxiliary element. The main thing is a healthy and lively lifestyle.
You will learn what important points you need to include in your daily life in order to start preparing your body for childbirth, as well as how to competently handle the stresses and experiences from the online course. Five steps to successful childbirth >>>.
- At a later date, the use of the drug reduces the likelihood of early onset of labor.
Contraindications to the use of the drug during pregnancy
Starting to use this product during pregnancy can only be prescribed by a doctor.
It is necessary to refrain from the use of the drug for:
- Gallstone disease,
- Chronic kidney and bladder diseases,
- Thyroid problems,
- Tuberculosis in the active stage.
The fish liver from which fish oil is made is an ambiguous product. Over time, it accumulates heavy metal salts. If you are prone to allergies, the drug is better to exclude.
Features and dosage of the reception during pregnancy
- It should be noted that preparations containing vitamins can not be drunk for a long time. They tend to accumulate in the body and can cause hypervitaminosis. This also applies to fish oil,
- The duration of the course should not exceed 1 month,
- An overdose of vitamin A can cause a decrease in blood pressure and even disrupt the absorption of calcium in the body of the mother and child,
- The specific dose of the drug prescribed by a specialist. The maximum dose is 300 mg.,
- To avoid digestive problems, do not take the drug on an empty stomach,
- Fish oil should be stored in the refrigerator,
- You need to consume only the product of good quality, well-known manufacturers, without additives and flavors.
Be careful to yourself and your baby.
If in doubt, it is better to read the instructions again and consult your doctor.
My opinion on fish oil is such that it is worth drinking for women who are not able to provide themselves with the right, varied diet. Forced to save on fruits, vegetables and meat (by the way, on the use of this product, there is an article on the website: Meat during pregnancy >>>).
All the benefits of taking fish oil can be obtained by eating right and leading a healthy lifestyle.
Can I take fish oil during pregnancy?
The fact that fish oil is useful, it has been known since ancient times. Very often he was prescribed for the treatment and prevention of rickets, to strengthen the immune system or with anemia.
In the former Soviet Union, a law was introduced on the basis of which all educational and preschool institutions were instructed to give fish oil to all children for prevention. In those years, almost every kid knew the taste of this unappetizing, oily-smelling liquid.
Cod liver oil is a cod liver extract
Fish oil is extracted from the liver of large cod fishes. It is rich in vitamins A, E and D. It contains in its optimal amount all the macro-and microelements necessary for the normal functioning of our body. And most importantly, it has a lot of Omega-3 fatty acids. Cod liver extract is sometimes called Omega-3. The consistency of this wonderful medicine is very similar to vegetable oil.
But how much is it necessary for women in carrying a child? And will it not hurt during pregnancy?
In the description of the drug it is impossible not to notice a warning: expectant mothers are not recommended to use it. Indeed, pregnant women should take fish oil with extreme caution and only on the advice of a doctor, strictly following all of its prescriptions. After all, any drug, any vitamin or dietary supplement, along with useful properties, carry certain risks. Fish oil is no exception.
Being in the womb, the baby receives from the mother a lot of useful substances, he gets everything that the maternal organism is rich with. And if a pregnant woman will take fish oil, then, accordingly, it will affect the development of the fetus, will help to properly form the organs and skeleton of the child.
Who and in what cases is primarily prescribed fish oil?
- Women who do not include in their diet seafood.
- Expectant mothers who are suspected to have an intrauterine growth retardation.
- If previous pregnancies ended in miscarriages.
- For the prevention of premature delivery.
- With an increased risk of developing late toxicosis (gestosis).
But the future mother can take fish oil only when she has no contraindications to its use!
Benefits for mother and fetus
If this medication is prescribed to you by a doctor, then it is useful to examine all of its beneficial properties and composition.
Fish oil contains a large amount of trace elements (such as calcium, iron, iodine), omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins. Therefore, it is extremely useful for pregnant women.
About the apparent lack of vitamins in future mothers says dry skin, a bundle of nails, and the hair does not look alive and shiny, and frequent colds indicate a weakened immunity. Receiving fish oil is able to fill these and many other shortcomings.
What benefits does fish oil bring to a pregnant woman?
- Increases immunity.
- Displays cholesterol.
- Improves the protective properties of mucous membranes.
- Excellent effect on the growth and appearance of hair, nails.
- Interferes with inflammatory processes, increasing the amount of lipids in the blood.
- It helps the cardiovascular system and promotes proper blood circulation.
- Carries the hormone of happiness - serotonin, which acts on the expectant mother pacifyingly.
- Calms the nerves.
- Prevents the development of preeclampsia.
- Reduces the risk of miscarriage.
How does it affect fetal development?
- It improves blood flow to the placenta, which provides the baby with oxygen and high-quality nutrition. This is especially important in the second half of pregnancy. As a result - children are born with good indicators of height and weight.
- Manifestations of allergic reactions in newborns, whose mothers drank fish oil during gestation, are minimized.
- Contains an indispensable element retinol, which contributes to the proper development of the child's sight and hearing.
- A positive effect on the cerebral cortex, making the future baby clever and easy to learn.
- At times, it reduces the risk of inheriting diabetes if a woman in the situation suffers from this pathology.
- Prevention of a disease such as rickets (for which vitamin D, contained in the composition of cod liver oil) is responsible makes crumbs strong, contributes to their proportional growth.
After birth, there are reasons to continue taking the drug, as it during the lactation period properly affects the production of milk for full feeding of the infant, and also helps the woman to cope with postpartum depression.
The use of fish oil in full will compensate for the lack of the omega-3 fatty acids in the future mother's body, because it is specifically for this purpose that is prescribed during pregnancy.
Briefly about the drug
Means represents unappetically smelling oily liquid. It is a cod liver extract. Fat is extracted from large-sized cod liver fish. The main value of the product is the presence of vitamins E, A, D in the composition and Omega-3 fatty acids. There is calcium in fish oil, iodine and iron. These substances are necessary for the growth of the child, the formation of his musculoskeletal system, blood formation systems.
What benefits does fish oil bring to a pregnant woman?
For future mothers, this tool is very useful. It enhances immunity and acts well on the appearance of nails, hair, removes cholesterol and prevents inflammatory processes. Omega-3 fatty acids in the composition of the product contribute to the work of the cardiovascular system. Besides all this, in fish oil there is serotonin - the hormone of happiness. He acts soothingly on the future mother. Therefore, the product can be considered soothing. Fish oil also reduces the risk of miscarriage.
The remedy also positively affects the intrauterine development of the unborn child. In particular, it improves blood flow in the placenta, which allows for a sufficient supply of oxygen and nutrients. And it is very important in the third trimester of the term for the child to be born with good indicators of weight and height.
A big “plus” of using this product in the period of carrying a baby is to minimize allergic reactions in the baby after its birth. Retinol in the composition of fish oil contributes to the proper development of the organs of vision in the child, and has a positive effect on the development of his brain. And the use of this product by a pregnant woman reduces the risk of genetic transmission of crumbs of diabetes.
Prevention of rickets is another property of the drug. Vitamin D is responsible for this function in its composition. It not only makes bones strong, but also contributes to their proportionality.
Most often, doctors prescribe fish oil to future mothers who do not include seafood in their diet. It is recommended that pregnant women be taken with suspected intrauterine growth retardation or have a history of miscarriages. Также рыбий жир гинекологи советуют принимать будущим мамочкам для профилактики преждевременных родов и при высоком риске развития гестоза.
Гинекологи советуют женщинам начинать употреблять рыбий жир еще на этапе планирования будущего ребенка. Это повысит иммунитет и будет способствовать процессу зачатия. Thanks to a useful product, it is possible to ensure the healthy development of the embryo from the first days.
You can also start taking this tool in the second, third trimesters.
It is best to buy the product in capsules. Then the expectant mother will not smell it - the biggest drawback of fish oil. Many pregnant women simply can not stand it for this reason.
However, the future mother should take a useful drug only when it has no contraindications to its use. Such restrictions include the active form of tuberculosis, thyroid disease, urolithiasis, renal failure.
The exact dosage of the means when carrying a child depends on the general health of the woman, her diet, the current trimester of pregnancy. Usually women are recommended to take one or two capsules twice a day. But the exact individual dosage of the pregnant woman should appoint her gynecologist.
After the baby is born, his mother may continue to take a useful drug. During the lactation period, it has a positive effect on milk production and helps to cope with postpartum depression, filling the young mother's body with an Omega-3 fatty acid deficiency.
As you can see, during pregnancy, fish oil can and should be taken.