Why do children grit their teeth in their sleep? Causes, treatment
Gnashing of teeth, or, scientifically, bruxism is a common phenomenon among children aged 1 to 7-8 years. The answer to the question of why small children grit their teeth lies in many factors. Each of them can carry a certain contribution to the child’s body, thereby affecting the state of the child during sleep.
Defect of the tooth-jaw system
Problems with the lower jaw can cause night gnashing of teeth. Does the child grind his teeth during the day, complain about the click of the jaw joint during yawning, or are there pains? These are serious symptoms that should not be overlooked. A visit to the dentist will help to understand the situation and eliminate the cause of concern.
Unhealthy situation in the family, stress
Experiences and stress always affect the growing body. In addition to reducing immunity, the baby can sleep badly due to family disturbances. Weaning a child to grind his teeth in the presence of tension at home is impossible. The problem will be solved by establishing a relaxed atmosphere in the family, surrounding the child with love, care and attention.
Three circles, two schools - regular and musical, full-time employment and endless daily responsibility without the opportunity to rest. Familiar? In such a position, not a few children will be able to “keep well” for a long time, without being nervous or worrying. Chronic fatigue primarily affects sleep: it becomes anxious. A child may begin to talk in a dream, cry out, grit his teeth. All of this-indicators of fatigue.
Table of manifestations of bruxism at different ages in children
Uncontrolled gnashing of teeth at night in children can be caused by one or a whole complex of factors. But there is only one common symptom of the reasons - something bothers the child physically / psychologically. Here the main task of parents is to find out and eliminate the cause. Only then the question why the child is gritting his teeth and not sleeping well, will lose its relevance.
A child gritting his teeth: what to do?
The treatment of nocturnal bruxism is effective when combining the establishment of a comfortable home environment and the medical appointment of a specialist. The pathogenic factor is detected together with the attending physician, and the appropriate method of its elimination is selected. If you do not know what to do when the child’s teeth are creaking, then adopt the following tips.
Down with the stress
Stressful situations in the life of your offspring may sooner or later manifest themselves in night bruxism. It is necessary to eliminate all childhood experiences, to reduce the alarm to nothing. Limit watching TV and playing with gadgets, read more, communicate. Spending time in the family circle has a beneficial effect on sleep and the health of the child as a whole.
Often parents ask if a child is gritting his teeth at night, what does this mean? Perhaps the reason for an unbalanced diet, or increased need for vitamins during growth. If the child constantly grits his teeth in his sleep, this may be the fault of the lack of mineral substances in the body. A full-fledged fortified diet will give its results within the first month - sleep will get better, appetite and manifestations of bruxism will stop.
Facial muscle spasms
Another unpleasant symptom in bruxism is the appearance of spastic facial muscle activity during the daytime. Frequent night gnashing of teeth can appear in the child during the day as involuntary contractions of the muscles: twitching of the mouth, facial tics.
Creaking his teeth in a dream must alert the parents. If this unpleasant symptom becomes regular, and a child 2-3 times a night wakes you with gnashing of teeth, be sure to contact your local doctor.
Why do little babies gnash their teeth in a dream?
Teeth cutting at night is due to spasm of the masticatory muscles. Usually the jaws just touch each other. Friction between them occurs only during the reception and chewing of food. If the tone of the facial muscles is increased, then the jaws are very tightly closed and begin to move uncontrollably from one side to the other, which is why gnashing occurs.
Attacks usually occur during sleep, sometimes repeated several times a night. By the time they last no more than a minute. Simultaneously with the screech, in some cases an involuntary respiratory arrest, a change in the pulse and pressure occur.
If a child gnashes his teeth in a dream sometimes, there is nothing to worry about. The attack of bruxism can be associated with increased emotionality after a hard and busy day. If the problem is permanent, it requires a special approach and mandatory treatment.
The main causes of bruxism in children
There is no consensus about the nature of this phenomenon. Doctors associate it with neurological disorders, with abnormalities in the work of internal organs. Children's bruxism can be put in one line with such sleep disorders as urinary incontinence, snoring, sleepwalking.
So, the child grinds his teeth in a dream because of:
- nervous strain, stress,
- deviations in the structure of the jaw,
- helminth infections
- genetic predisposition.
The fragile nervous system of the baby reacts differently to the events around it. A child going to kindergarten, changing his place of residence or quarrel in the family can cause a strong mental strain. And if in the daytime the child manages to control the facial muscles, keeping them from gnashing, then at night the movement of the jaws occurs by itself.
Often bouts of bruxism are the result of a pathological bite. At first glance, this problem seems harmless, but it requires mandatory intervention by a specialist. Incorrect bite not only leads to a violation of the aesthetics of the face, but also to diseases of the teeth, their abrasion and night gnashing.
As for helminths, there is no scientifically based confirmation of this cause. According to one version, infection with parasites negatively affects the nervous system of the child, which is why bruxism attacks occur.
Night and day teeth grinding
In a dream, the brain of a child analyzes all the events of the day. And since all shocks children experience more emotionally than adults, the night gnashing of teeth as a result of nervous overstrain for them is considered common. To solve this problem, it is important to ensure a healthy and long-lasting sleep for the child. If it is not possible to handle the violation on your own, it is recommended to consult a specialist.
Unlike night bruxism, during the day the child gnashes his teeth in a dream because of:
- bad habit - gnashing of teeth, often heard from adults, repeated many times by children and turns into a habit that you must get rid of,
- weaning from breastfeeding - as a result of an unsatisfied sucking reflex, the child begins to suck a finger, bite his lips or creak his teeth,
- adenoids - because it is difficult for a child to breathe through his nose, he often has to open his mouth, which, in turn, can cause grit.
The above problem requires compulsory treatment. Moreover, the necessary measures to prevent this unpleasant phenomenon should be taken immediately, as soon as the child began to grit his teeth in his sleep. If this is not done, the consequences for the baby can be very serious:
- depletion of the nervous system, headaches, drowsiness, fatigue, memory impairment, weakness,
- pathological abrasion and chipped enamel,
- tooth crown fractures,
- the appearance of tooth mobility,
- inflammation of the jaw joints.
A child gritting his teeth in a dream: what to do?
The presented problem is observed in 50% of all children worldwide. Parents of a child sleeping in a separate room should pay attention to how their son or daughter feels in the morning. Typically, these children look tired, lethargic, wake up with headaches. Due to the fact that enamel is gradually thinning, the sensitivity of teeth to sweet, sour, hot and cold is increased.
When should parents sound the alarm? If a child sometimes grits his teeth in a dream, and it lasts no more than 7 days in a row, in this case you can help him without visiting a doctor. Enough to establish a psychological microclimate in the family and try to avoid stressful situations that cause neuro-emotional disorder in children.
With a longer duration of bouts of bruxism, you need to be observed with a specialist who, if necessary, will prescribe the necessary treatment. A child gritting his teeth in a dream should show:
- to the therapist — to eliminate helminth infection,
- the dentist - to eliminate possible jaw abnormalities, correct bite,
- a neurologist,
- to the psychologist.
Treatment of children's bruxism
If a child gnashes his teeth constantly, without the help of a narrow specialist in this case can not do. Only he will be able to suggest how to wean the baby from night attacks. But It is worth noting that such a phenomenon as children's bruxism is easier to correct than a similar problem in adults.
What can traditional medicine offer as a treatment? The complex of measures includes:
- If a child gnashes his teeth in a dream, he may need treatment from a dentist. To protect teeth from destruction during sleep, the specialist will make special caps from flexible plastic that will protect teeth from damage.
- If bite pathology is detected, the dentist will refer a patient to orthodontic treatment.
- The therapist will give the direction to the analysis, which will allow to identify the presence of worms in the body, and selects a complex of vitamins in the case of beriberi.
- If the reason for the night gnashing of teeth is adenoids - the otolaryngologist will conduct the appropriate treatment.
- A neurologist or psychotherapist will be able to identify the source of the problems and tell parents what to do next to understand the situation.
The use of traditional medicine
If the reason for the phenomenon of why children grit their teeth in a dream lies in the increased emotionality and rapid excitability of the child, folk remedies will help to cope with the problem:
- chamomile tea - stabilizes the nervous system and helps calm down,
- a hot water bottle on the lower jaw - will warm the muscles and help to relax,
- a bathroom with aromatic oils and a gentle facial massage will prepare you for bed,
- warm compress - relieve facial muscles,
- pumpkin seeds - will help get rid of worms without the use of traditional medicines,
- wormwood with honey – will help remove parasites from the body.
The best prevention of bruxism is to maintain a favorable microclimate in the family:
- not to raise the voice of the child, not to punish him, especially in the body,
- pay enough attention to the baby
- surround him with care and love,
- be sure to read the child before bedtime,
- try to walk before bedtime in the fresh air, which will streamline thoughts and saturate the brain with oxygen to quickly fall asleep.
It is recommended to reduce the amount of mental stress, to arrange a normal daily routine, to limit the time spent near the TV or computer. To strengthen the nervous system of the child, an effective course of special massage, a warm bath before bed will be effective.
If you comply with the above activities, you will very soon be able to forget why children grit their teeth in their sleep, and you will never remember bruxism.
Opinion of Dr. Komarovsky about the problem
The famous pediatrician has his own vision of the phenomenon, why the child is gritting his teeth in a dream. Komarovsky E. O. believes that a full and healthy sleep is of great importance for strengthening the nervous system of a child. But the time when the child should go to bed, parents should determine on their own.
Equally important is given to the conditions in which the child falls asleep. The room must be ventilated, cool, with sufficient moisture. Then the baby’s sleep will be even and calm, which will help to relax the nervous system and muscles. In addition, it is necessary to pay attention to the psychological microclimate in the family, the relationship between parents.
Gnashing of teeth (bruxism) in children’s sleep
Tooth grinding in children is quite a common phenomenon, which has a certain medicine name - bruxism. Some people have only isolated cases of short-term creaking at night.
In other children, regular and prolonged gnashing is revealed at any time of the day. What is the danger of this pathology, why does it arise and what are the methods of its treatment?
Description and Symptoms
Bruxism - uncontrolled chewing movements of the jaw system, in which the contact of the same teeth of the upper and lower rows of opposite jaws occurs. Accompanied by a characteristic sound that resembles a screech or creak.
It is mainly observed during sleep, but in some cases manifestations are possible during wakefulness. Bruxism is diagnosed in almost 50% of children.
This pathology is typical of children 6–8 years old, but the occurrence of teeth grinding is possible with the appearance of the first temporary teeth. At an older age, it is much easier to identify bruxism than for babies, since the child can clearly express his feelings.
Most often this phenomenon accompanied by certain symptoms:
- pain of the jaw muscles, in particular, those responsible for chewing function,
- pain in the sinuses of the nasal passages,
- headaches having a different nature,
- itching and discomfort in the gums,
- pain and tinnitus
- muscle strain in the upper part of the neck,
- after waking up a person is accompanied by a feeling of tiredness,
In young children, the main symptom is the creaking or gnashing of sleep. In addition, this problem may occur in the afternoon: the child is hard at chewing on various objects.
In case of prolonged gnashing of teeth, the child should be examined by a doctor.
In general, the problem of bruxism will be told in the following video:
In medicine, the conditions for the development of bruxism have long been studied. It was found that for the emergence of bruxism there are many reasons of a different nature. Conventionally, they can be divided into two groups: local and general.
Causes of local nature include conditions that provoke pathology, which are localized in the region of the temporomandibular system and adjacent areas of the body. The most common local causes are:
- Malocclusion. If bruxism is caused by this reason, then its first manifestations will be observed already at 2 or 3 years, and then at 5 or 6 years. This is explained by the fact that it is during this period that the correct alignment of the dentitions of the opposite jaws relative to each other occurs.
The problem caused by improper bite cannot be repaired by yourself. To do this, you will need to consult a dentist and treatment in a dental clinic.
Pathological structure of the skull. The bones of the skull slightly, but mobile. When the structure is wrong, they are displaced, which leads to an overstressing of the facial and jaw muscles, as well as ligaments.
This provokes the emergence of bruxism. This reason is the rarest, and the treatment is the most difficult.
Diseases of the temporomandibular apparatus. Teeth grinding in children is often diagnosed with inflammations and injuries of the jaw, dislocation of its joint.
Typically, this type of bruxism takes place as the cause is eliminated.
Teething of milk teeth. This process is usually accompanied by edema and severe itching of the gum tissue.
This provokes the child’s desire to scratch them, which he does, gnawing his teeth intuitively. The problem is very short-lived and disappears after the eruption of the tooth.
Trying to remove the surge, the child unknowingly grits his teeth. The solution is simple - be sure to add solid food to the kids menu. For example, a carrot or an apple. Give your child before bedtime, and muscle tone will return to normal.
Muscle spasms of the temporal or maxillary region. Often occur as a consequence of intracranial pressure or trauma resulting from childbirth.
The spasms provoke intense headache and compound pain, which the child is trying to endure, clenching his teeth and stinging them together. In this case, bruxism requires a detailed examination of a whole group of specialists.
The presence of diseases in the nasopharynx. Bruxism can be triggered by adenoids, sinusitis or rhinitis. In this case, the pathology develops in 80% of patients.
Данные заболевания приводят к чрезмерной сухости носовой и ротовой полости, а скрежет зубами способствует выработке слюны. Проблема такого характера требует обращения к отоларингологу.
Regardless of what the reason led to the emergence of tooth gnashing in a child, it is imperative and necessary to consult a specialist as soon as possible.
This group of causes includes general diseases, invasions, the psycho-emotional state of the child, and much more. Common causes include:
- Parasitic invasions (helminthiasis, enterobiasis, etc.). Contrary to the well-established opinion that gnashing of teeth is most often caused by the presence of helminths, this reason is less common.
Therefore, you should not engage in self-treatment and, first of all, you need to visit a doctor. The link between creaking and worms is due to the fact that parasites excrete toxins that overexcite the nervous system. As a result, teeth gnash appears.
Psycho-emotional instability (stress). One of the common causes of bruxism. In children, the nervous system is not fully formed, so all the impressions received have a bright emotional touch.
This affects the depth of sleep, which becomes shallow and teeth creak.
Consequences and diagnosis
Milk teeth caries is one of the consequences of bruxism.
This pathology, like all others, has negative consequences. Since the child does not constantly get enough sleep, he deterioration of the general condition of the body, reduced immunity, reduced performance.
Prolonged absence of treatment leads to severe abrasion of tooth tissues, and, as a rule, development of caries. Against this background, a number of other dental diseases arise: periodontal inflammation, impaired tooth root stability.
If bruxism is observed during the formation of a temporary or permanent bite, then it may be incorrectly formed.
The consequences can be avoided by timely referring to a pediatrician and dentist who accurately diagnose the cause of the pathology. To do this, assigned tests to determine helminthic invasions, calcium content, allergies.
The child is examined by a neurologist and an otolaryngologist. Conduct an EEG and check the fundus of the eye.
Despite the fact that officially bruxism is not a disease, doctors have identified ways to solve this problem and arrest the consequences.
Depending on the cause of the gnashing of teeth, a number of characteristic measures are taken and they decide how to treat bruxism:
- To prevent the destruction of enamel, the dentist appoints protective kappa. Silicone kappa, which is prescribed for bruxism. They are made individually from soft elastic material. Kappas of this type can be used from the age of one
- to remove the hypertonicity of the muscles, it is necessary to apply a warm heating pad to the jaws,
- It is recommended that the child conduct a special set of relaxing exercises,
- Dental tires of a standard sample, made of silicone, will help reduce stress from the jaw muscles.
- for swelling of the gums and itching, use of soothing and anesthetic gels is recommended,
- with increased nervous excitability, the doctor may prescribe stabilizing agents in the form of tablets: glycine, magne B6, valerian, etc.,
- prescribed a complex of vitamins and minerals
- Regular rinsing with herb decoctions with an analgesic effect or their use is recommended. Chamomile is good for this,
- in some cases, manual therapy may be prescribed to correct the mobility of the skull bones,
- in the treatment of bruxism, homeopathic remedies are used, which give a good result,
- in particularly difficult cases, the doctor prescribes antidepressants and muscle relaxants.
Do not forget that treatment with medications should be prescribed only by a doctor and be used precisely under his control.
To avoid over-excitement of the child whenever possible protect it from stressful situations. Pay special attention to the situation in the house in the evening.
Avoid loud sounds, bright lights, active games.. This will allow the child to be calm and reduce the likelihood of creaking of the teeth. During the conversation, try to find out what bothers the baby.
Children's menu is worth making diverse. Meals included in the diet of the child should be not only nutritious, but also useful.
carrots - the guarantee of health of dairy and permanent teeth
A prerequisite for such nutrition - the presence of large amounts of calcium and vitamins. Coffee and strong tea must be excluded.. Eating is desirable to carry out a couple of hours before bedtime.
Always observe the child's sleep and wakefulness mode to avoid overwork and nervous excitability.
Creaking in the teeth of children is most often episodic. But, since bruxism can grow into a habit and lead to undesirable consequences, the intervention of specialists is still necessary.
If you strictly follow the recommendations of doctors, then you can quickly get rid of this problem.
In conclusion - a video with Dr. Komarovsky about problems with children's teeth:
Please select the text fragment and press Ctrl + Enter.
Gnashing of teeth in children: the main causes, recommendations and treatment
When a child's teeth creak in a dream, it causes concern and anxiety for the child to the parents. This phenomenon, occurring at night or in time for daytime sleep, may be associated with a large number of diseases.
In order to get rid of unpleasant squeak, you need to consult a doctor.
The pediatrician will examine the child, advise the dentist and, based on this, be able to draw up a list of recommendations for the care, as well as select the appropriate treatment.
The causes of bruxism are varied.
About the disease
When parents hear teeth creak in their sleep in children, their first reaction is anxiety and fear for the health of the child. What are the reasons that a child starts gnashing his teeth? Bruxism occurs with a variety of factors, including childhood diseases.
For a long time among parents there was the idea that this condition is associated with the presence of worms in a person, which interfere with the absorption of vitamin B12 and other substances necessary for the nervous system.
Based on this, many parents, having heard that their child is gritting his teeth in a dream, immediately buy him antihelminthic drugs, trying to achieve recovery. However, self-treatment attempts can cause serious harm to the health of the baby.
Most pediatricians do not perceive the helminth theory of the occurrence of bruxism and the tendency to consider tooth gnashing as a consequence of emotional stress and other strong mental factors.
Despite the causes of teeth gnashing in a child’s sleep, manifestations of the disease can occur at any age, both in a one-year-old baby and in a teenager. The causes of the condition may differ significantly from each other.
The emergence of bruxism
Why does a child gnash his teeth in a dream? In addition to parental discomfort, the constant gnashing can disrupt the development of the teeth and joints of the lower jaw. In this regard, the appearance of these symptoms should not be left unnoticed, but immediately visit the doctor in the hospital.
Doctors identify the following reasons that a child gnashing his teeth in a dream:
- The central nervous system in children is very easy to get out of balance. Any stressful situation, even insignificant, can lead to the appearance of various symptoms, including gnashing of teeth in sleep in children. For example, the first visit to kindergarten, an unfavorable climate in the family, can cause bruxism,
- any sleep disturbances, leading to a disruption in the work of the central nervous system, cause the children to grit their teeth in a dream. A similar situation is often observed in a child with nightmares,
- any chronic pathology of the respiratory system, for example, adenoids, can cause creaking at night. The growth of the tonsils violate the baby’s breath, especially when he goes to bed, which leads to the development of unpleasant symptoms: snoring and gnashing of teeth,
- A teething period can also explain why a child is gritting his teeth when he is sleeping. Oral discomfort causes him to unconsciously move his jaw to relieve symptoms, which is accompanied by unpleasant sounds,
- Any dental pathology, such as bite impairment, may cause this symptom to appear.
The emergence of bruxism contributes to the wrong bite
A variety of reasons that the baby begins to squeak strongly with its jaws during sleep, lead to difficulties in making the correct diagnosis quickly.
In this regard, parents should immediately contact a medical institution to see a pediatrician. Any delay in a situation where bruxism is associated with a serious cause (dentists, neurology, etc.
), can lead to various negative consequences.
Bruxism can occur in children at any age, both in one year and during adolescence. In this case, the reasons are usually associated with psychological stress.
Consequences of bruxism
If a baby has tooth gnashing or it starts to pound its teeth, the situation can cause the development of various complications, primarily from the oral organs:
- erasing enamel of varying severity,
- the appearance of microcracks on enamel,
- hypersensitivity to hot and cold foods or drinks,
- gum changes, up to their deformation,
- rapid loss of milk or molar teeth
- overstrain of masticatory muscles and the appearance of a headache.
A child suffering from bruxism may complain of headaches.
The consequences of bruxism can be prevented by contacting your doctor in a timely manner and following the recommendations received.
Due to the presence of negative complications, it is necessary to fight bruxism by contacting a medical institution to see a professional doctor.
After the doctors have figured out why the child has a night gnashing of teeth or the baby begins to cough during bruxism, it is necessary to prescribe adequate treatment, including recommendations for changes in lifestyle and nutrition. They include:
- Normalization of sleep / wakefulness and the formation of the mode of feeding the baby.
- The diet should be complete and must include various fruits with vegetables, allowing the chewing muscles to be loaded, leading to fatigue.
- Children should be fed solid food for 2-2.5 hours before bedtime. It is important to note that this recommendation does not apply to breastfeeding.
- Before you go to bed, the last hour with the baby should be devoted to quiet activities, such as reading books.
- It is necessary to normalize the psychological climate in the family, and if the child has problems in kindergarten or school, which is why bruxism occurs, they must be eliminated.
In case of bruxism caused by psychogenic factors, it is necessary to create a comfortable atmosphere in the family.
General recommendations allow you to get rid of the unpleasant night rattle in most cases. However, in some situations, medical treatment may be required.
An independent attempt to identify the causes of bruxism and select therapy, including folk methods, should not be used in connection with the risk of progression of the underlying disease, as well as the development of the pathology of the teeth and jaws in a child.
If a child gnashes his teeth in a dream, treatment should be prescribed only by a doctor. Do not self-medicate.
As a rule, parents are recommended to first contact a pediatrician or dentist who is able not only to identify the causes of bruxism, but also to assess the condition of the teeth and gums.
Some children may need to consult a neurologist for suspected diseases of the brain or peripheral nervous system.
In most cases, the only drugs used to treat rattle are in the group of sedatives. Such plant-based drugs have a mild sedative effect on the central nervous system and ensure the disappearance of discomfort and gnash.
Dentists often recommend the use of special caps or tires for older children. Such devices protect the child's teeth from damage and loss. Used caps can be both standard and made individually, providing the best protection and comfort.
In addition to these methods, very often there are treatments based on traditional medicine.
Such approaches should not be used in children, due to the fact that the traditional methods of therapy, including the reception of various decoctions and tinctures, do not have evidence of their effectiveness and safety, especially for children.
It is best to abandon the folk remedies and contact a professional doctor in a medical institution, which will select the necessary treatment for the baby.
Bruxism is a fairly common pathology
Gnashing of teeth at night is very common in children. This situation is not related to the helminthic invasion of the body, but arises against the background of various mental experiences: prolonged stress, negative climate in the family or school team, etc.
Early access to a pediatrician allows you to identify the causes of this condition and choose the best methods of treatment, including lifestyle and nutritional changes, as well as a number of medicines, for example, mild sedatives in case of excessive excitation of the central nervous system.
Timely therapy allows you to prevent the negative effects of bruxism for the baby at any age.
Have you ever experienced insomnia ?! Of course, you know firsthand what it is: frequent sleepless nights, fatigue, decreased working ability, mood, daytime sleepiness, a feeling of constant lack of sleep ..
- And now answer the question: does it suit you?
- Is it possible to endure?
- Are you ready to live like this?
- And how much money have you “lowered” for ineffective treatment?
That's right - it's time to stop this! Do you agree? That is why we decided to publish an exclusive interview with Elena Malysheva, in which she revealed the secret of getting rid of insomnia.
Read the interview further >>
A child grits his teeth in a dream - the causes and treatment of children's bruxism
When a child gnashing his teeth in a dream, the causes and solutions to the problem become a headache for parents. Some mothers and fathers blame worms for everything - infection with worms is considered the main provocateur of this phenomenon. Without a visit to the doctor and additional research, they begin to give the child drugs that do not bring effect. In reality, there are many more reasons.
Why does a child gnash his teeth in a dream?
Clacking and gnashing of teeth, called bruxism, appears in REM sleep.
The chewing muscles contract, the tone of the facial muscles increases, the lower and upper jaws collide, rub against each other, the teeth creak, knock, and involuntary swallowing of saliva occurs.
Episodes can be repeated several times during the night and at different ages. Bruxism is not always found in children by parents, for example, when an older child lies in another room.
Deviation can occur for various reasons: psychological, dental, neurological. The most frequent of them are:
- nerve strain
- sleep disturbance
- early weaning from the maternal breast,
- lack of vitamins.
Bruxism with worms
Many years of people's experience associates tooth gnashing with the presence of parasites in the body. Worms and other worms are an annoying factor. They cause itching, forcing their carrier toss and turn in a dream, to sleep poorly. Salivation increases, and this leads to movement of the jaws.
In addition, the state of health is deteriorating: the level of vitamin B12 is reduced, which leads to a decrease in oxygen supply to the brain, impaired neuromuscular transmission. As a result, the child gnashes his teeth in his sleep, involuntary muscle contraction occurs both in the daytime and at night.
In Soviet times, if a child is gritting his teeth at night, the reason was seen in a serious illness - epilepsy. During an attack, the jaw muscles actually contract, and convulsions occur. But there is no direct connection between bruxism and epilepsy.
To understand why a child is gritting his teeth, it is necessary to consult a doctor: a pediatrician or a neurologist. The latter will confirm or refute the diagnosis of epilepsy and the attacks of bruxism developing on its background.
More often, these two phenomena coexist in adults.
Bruxism with neurosis
Mental and neurological problems are frequent provocateurs of why a child squeaks his teeth at night. After daytime shocks, the brain analyzes them, sleep can become restless, accompanied by sleepwalking.
Attacks are observed at any time of the day. Restraining aggression on a subconscious level, children grit their teeth, and at night they can no longer control themselves.
If a child gnashes his teeth in a dream, name the following causes of a neurological nature:
- нервное перенапряжение,
- ссоры в семье,
- недостаток внимания,
- учебные перегрузки,
Bruxism with adenoids
When bruxism develops in children, the causes may be associated with diseases of the upper respiratory tract: rhinitis, curvature of the nasal septum, adenoids.
With an increase in the pharynx of the tonsils it becomes hard to breathe, the bite changes, the child opens and closes the mouth in a dream, causing teeth to gnash. This problem is solved by medication.
If necessary, the inflamed tonsils are removed, sleep returns to normal, the seizures disappear.
What is dangerous bruxism?
The clinical picture of the disease is typical: the attacks are repeated regularly, lasting from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.
Sometimes others are added to the main symptom, caused by permanent jaw contractions: pain, spasms of the facial muscles, caries, damage to the enamel of the teeth, inflammation of the gums. The consequences of a minor deviation may be the most serious.
When a child gnashing his teeth hard in a dream, he can provoke their loosening and falling out. Moreover, both sick, filled and healthy teeth suffer. Long-term consequences are as follows:
- shoulder and neck pain
- jaw movement restriction,
- hypertrophy of the masticatory muscles,
A child creaks in his sleep with his teeth - what to do?
When the diagnosis of bruxism is confirmed, the treatment is carried out depending on the provocateurs of the disease or conservative methods are used. By school age, the problem is usually resolved by itself if the seizures do not last long and have no serious consequences.
It will be enough to normalize the regime of the day of the child, to provide him with peace before bed, to eliminate stress. In more complex cases, a course of therapy is required. Before you treat bruxism, you need to find out the reason.
Consultations are needed from specialists such as a pediatrician, neurologist, psychologist, and dentist.
Drug treatment prescribed for neurological problems, prescribed to take sedatives, magnesium B6, herbal. Perhaps the course of psychotherapy.
To facilitate the process of teething, you can use special nipples and gels with anesthetic effect. If the worms are to blame, the need to take drugs to get rid of parasites, and the whole family.
If there are not enough vitamins, they need to be filled with special complexes.
Kapa with bruxism
When a child grit its teeth, it is bad for their growth and strength. It is required to cut unwanted contact of the upper and lower jaws.
To protect the teeth that are most affected during night attacks, a plastic splint is used. Her wearing is shown by a dentist. Made kappa from bruxism in size, taking into account the characteristics of the bite.
It is recommended to wear it for a period of at least 21 hours, i.e. almost a day.
Trainer in bruxism
Another type of removable design for correcting the bite is a trainer. Make them from silicone. If a child is gritting his teeth at night, some types of trainers are used, if during the day - others.
The first ones are more rigid, they are used for a long time compared with daytime (2-3 hours). Pads put on to correct bad habits, including gnashing of teeth.
Their wearing is prescribed to children of school age, adolescents.
When a child gnashes his teeth in a dream, the reasons can be both external and internal. The first thing that is required of parents is to exclude possible culprits of a dental and parasitic nature, diseases of the nasopharynx.
If the problem does not bother the child too much, the attacks of bruxism are not long and do not affect the condition of the teeth, perhaps they will stop after some time. But control over the state of health of the child is required to exercise constantly.
Sometimes children “outgrow” bruxism, but the seizures recur further with a strong emotional shock.
Why a child gnashes his teeth in a dream and causes in adults
Teeth grinding, otherwise called bruxism, is unpleasant for the patient and troublesome for the doctor. Most often, this phenomenon affects people with a labile nervous system. Between one and three percent of the world's population (both adults and children) are subject to this condition.
The most common is the night variant of bruxism, but daytime gnashing also occurs. At present, the main groups of diseases and pathological conditions leading to this have been fully studied.
Why does a child gnash his teeth in a dream? The basis of bruxism is an involuntary spasm of the masticatory muscles, the closing of the jaws and their convulsive uncontrolled movement in the anteroposterior or lateral directions. In this case, the teeth interlock with each other by chewing surfaces and move with friction, creating a gnash.
In addition, there may be impaired or stopped breathing during sleep at night (apnea), slow pulse, drop in blood pressure. Grinding lasts from a few seconds to minutes.
Baby at night gnashing his teeth: the reasons
In the normal state, the upper and lower jaws are in such a position relative to each other, that when they touch, they interact with force only when biting and chewing food.
But if the facial muscles are in hypertonus, the jaws are very tight, the teeth are clenched.
From the minimum attempt to move the lower part of the face - there is a grinding sound.
When a child sleeps in a separate room, parents for a long time are not aware of the existence of such a problem. Meanwhile, involuntary contraction of the jaw muscles may be due to:
- teething process. Gums at this time itch a lot. Friction of the upper units and lower units can cause characteristic sounds.
- malocclusion or congenital abnormalities of the jaw structure,
- Neurological and psycho-emotional problems
- lack of vitamins and microelements,
- genetic factor. If one of the older relatives "gritting" his teeth at night, the child could inherit this feature,
- other reasons.
Nervous System Disorders
Nervous stress can lead to the fact that bruxism in a child manifests itself not only at night, but during the day. During wakefulness, the baby tries to control muscle contractions, but it does not always succeed.
Causing strong nervous tension, the development of bruxism contribute to:
- Oversaturation of the curriculum and an abundance of extra classes. The lack of time does not allow the baby to rest normally, spend leisure time at his own discretion, play active games.
- Unfavorable situation in the family. Quarrels and conflicts of adults, the lack of elementary parental attention can not only worsen the condition of the baby’s nervous system, but also provoke comorbidities, one of which is the involuntary gnashing of teeth.
- Relationship problems in the children's team.
- Other causes associated with adverse effects on the central nervous system.
Experts believe that the solution to the problem - in the change of activity, the alternation of mental and physical stress. This will stabilize the nervous system, improve blood flow and remove muscle hypertonia.
The process of teething and growth of the first teeth is a real test for a small person. He becomes moody and restless.
The child clenches and opens his jaws, desperately trying to nibble toys to relieve pain and itching in the mouth.
In this case, there are special devices that accelerate teething, relieving symptoms.
After the appearance of all the first incisors, the discomfort and manifestations of bruxism disappear. But they can return at the age of 6, when changing milk teeth to permanent ones.
Lack of vitamins B and D
A deficiency of vitamins and microelements can provoke involuntary contractions of the muscles responsible for facial expressions and chewing.
This is especially true of the elements of group B and D, which are extremely important for the normal functioning of the nervous system:
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) helps to overcome depression. It calms, but at the same time stimulates the development of intellectual abilities,
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) is involved in the renewal and restoration of cellular structures. When his little, a person feels tired and weak,
- Vitamin B3 (aka PP, niacin). One of its many functions is to stimulate the blood supply to the brain regions and the ability to restore psychological balance. B3 deficiency causes nervousness and contributes to disturbances in the work of the central nervous system,
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) prevents overexcitement, improves mood and promotes good sleep,
- Vitamin B9 (folic acid) is responsible for bioenergy. The lack of this element is a direct road to nervous disorders, memory impairment and difficulties with concentration, the emergence of a state of increased anxiety,
- Vitamin B11 (left carnitine) is very important for the recovery of the nervous system. Without it, it is impossible to maintain healthy muscle activity,
- Vitamin B12 (cobalamin) protects nerve fibers from damaging them. Lack of this vitamin causes depression,
- Vitamin D provides a strong link between numerous nerve fibers. It helps the body to assimilate such important trace elements as magnesium and calcium, contributing to the normal operation of the nervous and muscular structures.
Regarding the role of pathologies of the ears, nose and throat in the development of bruxism, the situation is ambiguous.
Some experts argue that the unhealthy state of the upper respiratory tract can easily provoke tooth gnashing at night, citing the statistics that 80% of the children examined with bruxism had adenoids.
Others believe that problems with the nose and throat, for example, cause difficulty in breathing, from which children sleep with their mouths open, which in no way can lead to teeth grinding.
There is an opinion that worms are “guilty” in the fact that children develop bruxism. The base - harmful "settlers" were found in a certain number of suffering babies. Opponents also believe that if intestinal parasites played a role in this matter, then indirectly.
Their influence does not affect the maxillofacial apparatus with its muscular structures, but negatively affects the nervous system, which is the cause of involuntary and strong compression of the jaws.
In some cases, the cause of night gnashing of teeth can be:
- dental growth problems
- reasons related to the special structure of the jaw.
Complications of bruxism
Bruxism must be treated, as it is dangerous due to complications and can be a reason for:
- the occurrence of caries,
- inflammations, acute and chronic, in the periodontal and jaw joints,
- early erasing of enamel, increasing the sensitivity of teeth, their traumatic injuries,
- changes in the appearance of the face from the compression of the jaws,
- lack of sleep, fatigue and decrease in overall tone.
What if a child suffers from bruxism
The first is to find out the cause of the condition. You can start with a visit to a pediatrician who assesses the state of the child and, if necessary, redirects to a specialist.
When night-time creaking of teeth is caused by dental pathologies, when solving a question, caps are often used - special removable pads that doctors recommend wearing at night, but in some cases they are prescribed to be worn during the day.
They prevent the jaws from closing tightly, saving teeth from abrasion.
In cases where bruxism has arisen due to neurological problems, a pediatric neurologist will prescribe therapy. One of the first recommendations will be a revision of the baby’s mode of life so that the loads (including training ones) on the body are not excessive, but are within the child’s power. It is important that his daily routine provides time for outdoor activities.
Bruxism is considered a dental problem, but its development is often due to other pathologies. In order for a child to grow up happy and healthy, it is important to be attentive to his condition and well-being, and in the presence of alarming symptoms, consult a doctor promptly.
Characteristic manifestations of bruxism are:
- Creaking or gnashing of teeth.
- Pain in the muscles of the face and temporomandibular joints, especially in the morning.
- Chronic inflammation of the temporomandibular joints with restriction of the range of movements of the mandible.
- Increased sensitivity of the enamel to the cold, sweet, hot due to its gradual erasure and shedding.
- Traumatic chipped or broken teeth, their loosening.
- Anomalies of the bite, which are formed as a result of erasing the tooth rows and their deformation.
- Violations of the depth of night sleep lead to constant sleepiness and the syndrome of chronic fatigue, daytime sleepiness and headaches.
What else is unpleasant bruxism
- In addition to objective physical changes in the state of the osteo-articular apparatus, muscles and teeth, the discomfort of the close environment of the patient and the gradual neuroticization of the creaking teeth themselves become a major problem, if the fact of the creaking by the teeth becomes known to him.
- Bruxism can be a contraindication for the installation of crowns. Tabs and implants of implants, since even the softest crowns will erase and crush the antagonist tooth on the opposite jaw when rubbing.
Theory of the effect of helminthic invasions
It is often enough in the people that it is believed that teeth grinding in a dream, especially in children, is directly related to helminthic invasions (see the symptoms of worms in children and roundworm in humans, pinworms in children). This was precisely what justified the folk treatment of gnash with garlic, used in various forms and quantities (see tablets for worms).
In fact, there is no direct relationship between parasitism in the body of worms and bruxism. An adult or a child who has no worms, and never had, may well grit his teeth. A little bit of a scientific explanation for the fact that children suffering with helminthiasis also gnash their teeth in their sleep, comes down to two points.
- First, any worm infestation can lead to the neurotization of the patient (see the test for the presence of worms in humans).
- Secondly, vitamin B12 deficiency, the synthesis of which decreases with many intestinal helminthiases (for example, infection with a wide tapeworm) impairs neuromuscular transmission, which can be a prerequisite for disorders in the chewing muscles and temporomandibular joints.
- Thirdly, the same B12-deficient anemia impairs the transport of oxygen to the brain, which can affect the change in the depth of sleep and lead to various involuntary muscle contractions of the type of partial seizures, including the tricking of the masticatory muscles.
Causes of night rattle in children
According to various sources, teeth grinding is found in 15-50% of the child population.
The reasons for this most often lie in the plane of neurological problems, frequent fatigue or asthenia, as well as abnormalities in the structure of the facial skeleton, jaws and bite pathologies.
- Sometimes wheezing occurs after a long-term infectious disease or after weaning a child from the nipple, to which he is very used.
- Do not deny the effect of heredity. Approximately 80% of children suffering from a night squeak suffered from the same problems at different ages at least one of the parents.
- Diseases of the digestive tract.
- Diseases of the temporomandibular joint.
- Skin allergic diseases.
- Adenoids in children
Up to 80% of children suffering from adenoids have associated bruxism. It is also associated with a decrease in the depth of sleep and a violation of nasal breathing, which at different times of the day stimulates the right and left hemispheres of the brain.
Interesting research, looking for a relationship between bruxism and epilepsy. According to EEG data in children with bruxism, the phase of falling asleep is shortened, teeth scratch episodes often occur at the junction of the first slow phase and the second fast sleep phase.
There is a direct connection of the squeak with sleepwalking, talking in a dream and loss of consciousness in the past. There is no direct link between bruxism and seizures in the epilepsy program.
Most often, bruxism suffers from hypermobile children, who began to sit, stand, walk early, as well as children who have begun to talk before their peers.
If a child suffers with short (up to 10 seconds) and occasional gnashing of teeth for less than two months, it is usually limited to streamlining the schedule of his day, he is previously placed to sleep, add daytime sleep and reduce the time for studying and staying at the computer. Quite often, such episodes go away on their own and without any treatment.
What is dangerous to scrape for a child?
When a child grits his teeth at night, the risk of injury to the teeth and the occurrence of diseases of the mandible joint increases.
From the mutual pressure of the teeth on each other, the edges of the crowns abrade. If Burxism lasts for years, then enamel cracks may appear. In addition, from prolonged muscle tension and pressure of the jaw, the child may wake up with a toothache or headache, do not get enough sleep.
Sooner or later it leads to dysfunction of the joints. This disturbance can be heard as a click during a wide opening of the mouth (when yawning or biting large pieces).
Chronic inflammation in the loose temporomandibular joint causes an increase in nervous impulses that stimulate a sudden spasm of the masticatory muscles. Сокращаясь, мышцы приводят в движение нижнюю челюсть, которая и воспроизводит зубовный скрежет.
Здесь возникает порочный круг: мышечный спазм провоцируется воспалением, а сам же это воспаление поддерживает, нарушая нормальное соотношение суставных поверхностей.
The presence of a chronic neurotic state, exhaustion of the nervous system against the background of prolonged mental or physical stress. Nervous bruxism occurs most frequently on the nerve soil.
Since one of the functions of sleep is to rid the nervous system of excessive information and process it, in a dream a person often continues to experience daytime problems and, unable to fully relax, grit his teeth.
- Night bruxism coincides with the phase of REM sleep and with episodes of restless sleep: involuntary muscle twitching, active movements of the eyeballs.
- Often the creak of the teeth is combined with snoring, talking in a dream, sleepwalking, and even enuresis.
- Such patients often have a bad habit in the daytime, especially in moments of emotional stress, nibble objects (pencils, pens, matches, toothpicks) or nails.
Pathologies and anomalies of the dentition and jaws:
- the presence of poorly fitted fixed prostheses
- inflammation in the area of implants can lead to spasm of the chewing muscles and bruxism
- A frequent example of trisism (i.e., prolonged painful spastic contraction) of the masticatory muscles may be difficulty teething the eighth teeth.
Consult a neurologist, dentist, allergist, pediatrician (general practitioner).
If the attacks are frequent and prolonged, combined with other manifestations of sleep depth disturbances (enuresis), then the child is necessarily shown to a neuropathologist (an EEG is performed and the fundus examines the oculist, sedatives of the vegetable row are appointed).
It also shows the consultation of the dentist for the diagnosis and correction of orthodontic problems. Most often, bruxism in children is corrected by silicone tires with air absorbers, starting at the age of three to five years.
For the diagnosis you need to pass a complete blood count, for calcium in the blood, tests for enterobiasis and eggs of the worm. If there is a black plaque on the teeth, this is another reason for the examination for helminth infections, it can also be for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Find out the possible causes of stress in a child. What changes have occurred in his life (stress in kindergarten, the birth of a brother or sister) and try to limit the factors causing stress.
It is necessary to follow some recommendations before bedtime and not only:
- Do not play active games for 2 hours before bedtime, only calm, quiet,
- Do not eat in the last 2 hours before sleep
- To take a bath for relaxation with decoctions of medicinal herbs (valerian, chamomile, motherwort, turn, conifers),
- Bedtime rub in the collar area and whiskey distracting ointment (eucalyptus, thyme)
- To conduct myogymnastics (for the face and masticatory muscles) in order to relieve tension - circular movements with the tongue, pulling the tongue up and down, folding the lips with a straw and wide opening of the mouth,
- Relieve muscle tension solid foods, give them to the child in the evening (radishes, apples, raw carrots),
- Adequate time to spend in the fresh air to avoid oxygen starvation of the brain.
- Do not drink beverages that excite the nervous system at night (strong tea, coffee, energy drinks, alcohol, soda).
- Herbal sedatives.
- Dry heat on the area of masticatory muscles at bedtime.
- Silicone drips
They prevent abrasion of teeth, make them in a dental laboratory in the direction of the dentist. Kapa is installed in the mouth before bedtime.
It not only prevents teeth from contacting each other when creaking and rubbing, but also forms the correct bite. You can buy a standard mouthguard and adjust it to your bite.
This orthodontic appliance consists of two parts, each of which is provided with a handle-petal. Both parts are lowered into a container of boiling water for 8-10 seconds to give plasticity plastic, then shake off the drops and inserted into your mouth.
Then you need to forcefully squeeze the jaws three-fourth times, leaving a clear impression of the teeth on the cap. Further handles are cut. And the finished cap will be enough to hold tightly in the mouth, not allowing to erase teeth with a grinding.
- In daytime bruxism, dentists also use various modifications of tires that are invisible in the mouth and perfectly prevent the dentition from closing completely and the enamel abrading.
- In the most severe cases, the doctor may prescribe an adult course taking muscle relaxants or antidepressants.
Thus, bruxism today refers to a phenomenon from different areas of medicine. Therefore, long episodes of gnashing of teeth in adults, and especially children, should be investigated by at least two specialists: a neuropathologist and a dentist.
A child grits his teeth in a dream: causes and treatment
The sight of a sleeping and snuffling baby with a spout brings everybody into tenderness. But sometimes this idyll can break the unpleasant gnashing of teeth. This unpleasant sound can be short-lived, in some cases it lasts for several minutes and makes parents worry.
Why it happens? What is bothering the baby? In medical science, this situation has its definition and is called bruxism. In our article we will try to understand whether this phenomenon is a disease and how it threatens the baby.
A child grits his teeth in his sleep: treatment
Sometimes the negative emotions of the baby accumulate, and he becomes nervous, the level of anxiety increases. This can lead to any changes in the family, and it does not matter whether they are positive (the birth of another baby) or negative (parental quarrels, change of residence, etc.).
One way or another, the child needs help. Sometimes it consists in taking special soothing herbs. It is also important that the period of the day before the night's sleep in a child passes calmly:
- you can not eat before bedtime, the last meal is two hours before bedtime,
- games in the evenings should not be too active
- bathe your baby in a warm bath, you can add decoctions of relaxing herbs to the water. For these purposes, chamomile, motherwort, valerian, train, lime blossom, conifers,
- do myogymnastics with your child before bedtime. It allows you to relieve tension in the muscles of the face. The most simple exercises: show and hide the tongue, circular rotation of the tongue, alternately open and close the mouth, puff up the sponge and make them a tube,
- Give your child solid vegetables and fruits during the day (carrots, apples, pears, radishes). Chewing will help children quietly relieve muscle tension.
- Rub the temples and the baby's collar area with ointments based on eucalyptus or thyme. Do not do this if the baby is allergic to these components.
What and how to calm the baby before bed?
- The use of homeopathic remedies. Children from 0 to 6 years old are recommended to take Dormikind (HEEL) - 1 (one) tablet diluted in water (1 teaspoon). The course of treatment is from two to four weeks. Adolescents are given lozenges (held under the tongue) HOTTA ("Bitner"). The same drug, but in the form of drops, can be given to children from the age of three,
- Rectal candles Viburkol (HEEL). Put to bed
- Drugs Magne B6, Glycine (as recommended by a neurologist),
- Prevention of worms (spring and autumn). For these purposes, apply: Dekaris (one tablet for a course of treatment, at bedtime, a dose of 2.5 mg per kg of weight), Vermox (three days after Dekaris), Nemozol (a parasite recognized worldwide), Pyrantel (with detection or suspicion of enterobiasis),
- On the recommendation of the doctor, dentists can make individual mouthguards. Before going to bed they are put on the teeth, which is why the child cannot squeeze the jaw to the end. Assign older children, adolescents,
- Some children have a habit of constantly tightly clenching their jaws, even when they are not tense. In this situation it is necessary to hold special preventive conversations with them.
- The child should be aware of the dangers of gnashing and squeezing. We are talking about permanent toothache, painful sensations in the joints and muscles, caries, and early loss of teeth.
A child grinds his teeth in a dream: Komarovsky
The famous pediatrician Yevgeny Komarovsky expresses the opinion that parasites can influence the development of this disease, but after all, it also develops in those people in whose body the worms are not found.
Argued that gnashing his teeth went to modern people from old ancestors. It is called a kind of rudiment. It is believed that cavemen sharpened their teeth so that it was something to protect against predatory animals.
Dr. Komarovsy considers neuroses, deficiency of magnesium and calcium in the child’s body, as well as dental problems, to be the main causes of teeth gnashing.
A prerequisite for the recovery of the nervous system of the baby is sound sleep. Parents can lay down the child at a comfortable time for the baby.
The bedroom should be well ventilated, cool, with sufficient moisture. Under such conditions, the baby will breathe easily, his sleep will return to normal, his nerves will calm down, and the negative manifestations will go away.
Dr. Komarovsky is confident that the health of the baby is a reflection of relationships in the family. The "healthier" the family, the stronger the baby.