Do MRI and CT scans during menstruation, and is it harmful?
MRI is a diagnostic method recognized by doctors as one of the most reliable and safe. Many women whom the doctor prescribed to undergo this study are worried about the question "Can you do an MRI during menstruation?" In addition, interest is caused by the possibility of the influence of menstruation on the process of performing the procedure, as well as on the accuracy of the results obtained.
MRI at monthly
The method of examination is based on the influence of the electromagnetic field on the human body. Under its influence, the response impulse of the protons of hydrogen, which are part of the water in the cells of the body, changes. With the help of special computer programs, a three-dimensional image is created, by studying which, a doctor can diagnose pathology.
The MRI device is a tomograph, equipped with a cylindrical capsule, inside which the subject is placed. During the MRI examination, there is no radiation load on the body, due to which the procedure is absolutely safe. During the MRI you can investigate:
- Organs of the chest.
- Abdominal cavity
- The pelvic area.
- Vessels, heart.
- Thyroid gland.
The study does not have a negative impact on the woman’s body, and does not affect the normal functioning of the endocrine and reproductive systems.
MRI of the brain and spinal column during menstruation
During the examination of the brain, only the head area is exposed to electromagnetic waves, so in most cases there is no need to immerse the patient in the capsule completely. The study does not affect the function of the pituitary gland, which secretes the hormones necessary for regulating the functioning of the reproductive system. That is why it is permissible to carry out tomography of the head on any day of the menstrual cycle.
MRI diagnosis of the state of the spine is permissible during menstruation, however, the patient may encounter a number of difficulties:
- The duration of the procedure is on average 40-60 minutes, during which it is necessary to lie motionless in a closed capsule. Due to increased nervous excitability during menstruation, it will be difficult for the subject to maintain a correct and immovable position for a long time. To this end, doctors recommend taking sedatives before an MRI.
- The patient will need a thicker “night bed”, due to the long stay in the supine position.
The informativeness of the diagnostic method does not decrease with menstruation in the studied woman.
Difficulties in the study of the pelvic organs
Magnetic resonance imaging of the pelvic area is rarely performed during menstruation. Anatomical and physiological changes in the female body during this period can lead to visualization difficulties and inaccurate data during the study.
Internal genital organs and bladder cannot be studied during menstruation due to:
- Swelling and expansion of the vascular network associated with a rush of blood to the uterus.
- Rejection of the functional layer with the egg and bringing them out, as a result of which the study of the endometrium will be impossible.
- The presence of secretions in the uterus and vagina, which impede visualization.
- With menstruation, a physiological increase in the lymph nodes is possible. If they are found during the procedure, it is required to conduct a re-examination some time after the end of menstruation, in order to exclude pathology.
- The presence of blood clots in the uterine cavity, which can be mistaken for volumetric neoplasms.
- Difficulties in the diagnosis of pathologies of the ovaries, due to the simultaneous maturation of several eggs in them, which during an MRI scan can resemble cysts.
In order to eliminate the inaccuracy of diagnosis and to avoid the appointment of repeated procedures, it is not recommended to conduct examinations during menstruation. The diagnostic procedure is best carried out from 7 to 12 days of the cycle or after 18 days.
The appointment of MRI of the pelvis during menstruation
To conduct a study of the pelvic organs in menstruation is appropriate only in case of an urgent appointment of the procedure, with the aim of urgent diagnosis of pathology. These include:
- Abundant bleeding, bleeding.
- Blood in urine and feces.
- The rapid loss of body weight.
- Intense aching pain in abdomen.
If these symptoms are present, the doctor may prescribe a magnetic resonance examination, regardless of the day of the menstrual cycle.
The impact of the examination on the body
A safe procedure does not affect the woman’s body and does not interfere with the organs of the reproductive system. After conducting a study, cycle faults may be disrupted due to:
- Hormonal imbalance caused by the underlying disease.
- Stress after a study with increased nervousness.
However, in the overwhelming majority of cases, patients maintain a stable menstrual cycle after the procedure.
With the passage of CT during menstruation, the subjects face the same problems as with MRI diagnostics. Also, when computed tomography of the pelvic organs is necessary to come to the procedure with a full bladder for better visualization, which can be difficult during menstruation.
If you need to undergo a routine CT scan of the reproductive organs, for more accurate results, doctors recommend waiting for the end of menstruation. Tomography of other organs during this period is not contraindicated and does not cause any difficulties.
Specific examination for monthly
Menstruation is the stage of the menstrual cycle, characterized by the maturation of the egg cell and the growth of the endometrium in the uterus, which, together with the egg cell, is rejected and removed if there is no conception. Menstruation depends on the hormonal background, so when prescribing an MRI, patients are worried about the failure of the cycle.
In fact, MRI can be done at any stage of menstruation.. In this case, diagnosis is allowed:
- thyroid gland,
- different sections of the abdominal cavity
- vessels, etc.
This is due to the fact that MRI is one of the safest and most painless methods of examination. The procedure does not affect the functioning of the endocrine and reproductive systems, regardless of the cycle time.
Advantages of the method
This type of tomography has advantages over ultrasound, x-rays and CT. These include:
- safety - the tomograph affects the body by magnetic radiation, rather than x-rays (for example, as in CT),
- highly informative - the images show both soft and bone tissues in three dimensions,
- no need to use contrast agents
- painless procedure.
Diagnosis with CT
An alternative to MRI can be a scan with a computer tomography. CT is a research method that uses x-rays. X-ray data is read and processed by a computer. CT is a less safe method of diagnosis, because the patient receives a dose of radiation, although less than with radiography.
Computed tomography can be performed during menstruation, if you are researching:
- reproductive and endocrine organs.
However, CT is not performed during pregnancy. The greatest risks to the fetus occur between the 8th and 15th weeks (at the age of the fetus up to 13 weeks).
Features of diagnosis of body systems during menstruation
MRI of the brain tomograph affects the pituitary gland, which regulates the production of female hormones. However, tomography of the head can be done at any time during the cycle, since the pituitary gland secretes hormones continuously.
Magnetic waves do not affect the pituitary gland and progesterone production, so the reproductive system functions stably.
With MRI of the spine, magnetic radiation can enter the reproductive system, since patients are placed in the tomograph capsule completely. This procedure can be done during menstruation - the information content of MRI images will not change. However, you should consider:
- the time spent in the capsule is about 40-60 minutes, so the patient will need a thicker gasket,
- increased nervousness, which can be eliminated by taking sedatives.
Diagnosis of abdominal and pelvic areas
The presence of menstruation during examination of the gallbladder, liver, stomach, intestines and other organs of the abdominal cavity does not distort the diagnostic results. However, examination using MRI (as well as CT) is difficult due to increased flatulence on critical days. To reduce the level of gas in the stomach, it is recommended not to eat for 5 hours and take activated charcoal.
Magnetic resonance imaging of the pelvic organs during menstruation is not performed. This is due to the fact that the organs that are involved in menstruation, as well as organs that are close to the reproductive system (for example, the bladder) will be diagnosed.
Contraindications to the survey are the following reasons:
- Rush of blood at the time of menstruation. As a result, the vessels dilate, swelling occurs, which does not allow to diagnose the entire reproductive system.
- Inability to examine the endometrium. At the time of menstruation, the functional layer with the egg is brought out, so it is impossible to evaluate the cell structure.
- Non-informative diagnosis of the uterus and vagina as a result of discharge.
MRI of the genitourinary system can be done on days 7-12 of the menstrual cycle. Similar restrictions apply to CT scan (computed tomography).
The body's response to the survey
After diagnostics using a magnetic resonance tomograph in patients, as a rule, a stable cycle remains. Moreover, gynecologists officially allow patients to become pregnant after undergoing an MRI.
Cycle failures after tomography (MRI or CT) can occur in two cases:
- if a menstrual disorder provokes a diagnosed disease,
- if there is stress, provoked by the need to go through the procedure and expect the results of research.
Tomography during menstruation: no contraindications
Women are especially worried: they do not know if the procedure is allowed during menstruation. MRI with monthly is fraught with a lot of questions, so many would be interested to know the answers to them. It should be noted that initially, when the method of magnetic resonance scanning only gained momentum in popularity, the opinions of experts were also divided in two.
Some were of the opinion that it is desirable for a woman to limit herself from going through the procedure on such days. It was believed that doing an MRI during this period, at least, is meaningless, because the female cycle may affect the reliability of the data. In addition, the sharply deteriorating general well-being of the subject questioned the safety of the scanner for a woman on such days.
Meanwhile, modern medicine in the field of diagnostic studies can accurately determine the list of all possible contraindications and precautions before undergoing an MRI procedure. There is absolutely no information that diagnostics can be carried out or prohibited if a woman has started menstruating.
That is, if necessary, an MRI scan of the spinal cord, head, internal organs, joints, etc., should be performed. A woman undergoes the procedure without any additional measures and conditions. However, a detailed diagnosis of the body can worsen the well-being of the examined woman.
In most cases, the arrival of so-called "critical days" is accompanied by acute unbearable pain. Since an MRI scan is a lengthy procedure, during which patients can not even move, it threatens with significant discomfort.
MRI of the pelvic organs during menstruation
The only case where there is a medical contraindication to tomography, is a detailed scan of the pelvic organs with the introduction of a contrast agent. Meanwhile, an MRI scan can be done on days when a woman is having her period, if an urgently scheduled examination of the pelvic organs is needed. The reason for the indication of such an emergency diagnosis may be one of the following factors:
- heavy bleeding, bleeding,
- the presence of blood clots in the feces or urine,
- rapid weight loss,
- constant pain in the stomach of the whining character.
When the patient complains of at least one of the above symptoms, the doctor prescribes a magnetic resonance imaging of the pelvic organs. Regardless of the stage of the menstrual cycle, you should go through the research procedure immediately.
On the question of whether to do magnetic resonance imaging and whether it is possible at all to pass during menstruation, the answer is ambiguous. If we are talking about the examination of the pelvic organs, then most likely, you should wait until the end of your period. Only in difficult clinical cases, in the presence of severe and dangerous symptoms, MRI is performed urgently.
Under normal circumstances, it is advisable to come to a diagnostic session no earlier than the seventh day of the cycle. This will help professionals to achieve maximum accuracy and reliability of the study. If necessary, the procedure of other organs and systems during menstruation is not prohibited. At the same time, it is possible to note the features of the diagnostic MRI during the period of female menstruation.
MRI of the brain during menstruation
The nuances of examining the head during menstruation are the presence of a connection between the organs of the small pelvis, the menstrual cycle and, directly, the brain. To perform an MRI scan, it is no use to immerse the patient deep into the tomograph, especially since only the examined part of the body is exposed to the magnetic field. It would seem that the pelvis and its internal organs remain outside the field of view of the apparatus and magnetic waves. And yet here has its own specifics.
The fact is that in the lower part of the brain is the pituitary gland - an element of the endocrine system of the human body. Iron is responsible for regulating the cycle. If the pituitary is malfunctioning, failure can occur throughout the entire system: not only the menstrual cycle is disturbed, but also the endometrial metabolic processes.
Despite the proven harmlessness of magnetic resonance imaging for human health, the risk of pathological intervention in the body's vital activity can cause a lot of concern for patients. As a rule, they are doubtful of the possibility of passing the procedure, which are not particularly familiar with the intricacies of the implementation of modern diagnostic methods.
The pituitary gland is involved in the production of hormones all the time, but over the long years of MRI procedures, the harm from diagnostics has not been recorded even once. MRI cannot have a negative effect on the reproductive and endocrine systems, therefore, it is allowed to perform examinations during the month.
Specificity of MRI during menstruation
In order to undergo a lengthy research procedure during menstruation, only two things can interfere with women:
- Long stay in a horizontal position can cause leakage of discharge. The problem is solved: you should use the pads for heavy menstruation.
- Increased irritability and nervousness can affect a woman’s general condition, which can prevent her from being in the tomograph's camera for some time.
MRI is an absolutely safe form of diagnosis. In addition to the well-known contraindications for its passage - the presence of implants, metal prostheses, claustrophobia, the first trimester of pregnancy - nothing else can prevent the passage of the study, including menstruation in women.
What is MRI, general information?
Tomography is the most effective and accurate method for diagnosing various diseases of internal organs and body systems. Magnetic resonance imaging, as the name implies, is radiation of magnetic fields that act on living tissue. This way you can get the most accurate picture.
The procedure is performed for each site and area of the body, MRI of the spine, brain, gall bladder, pelvic organs, limbs, in general, the whole body. If you need to get the most accurate image of a specific area of the body, an MRI is simply indispensable.
The magnetic resonance method is based on the properties of the magnetic field, which tends to absorb hydrogen impulses that emit living tissue, creating accurate images based on them. The procedure takes place with the use of special equipment - a tomograph, which creates magnetic fields.
Most girls are concerned with the question, can you do an MRI during menstruation? This question arises for two reasons:
- firstly, girls are worried that magnetic radiation can damage vulnerable genitals during this period,
- во-вторых, менструация способна повлиять на результаты исследований, особенно когда они касаются, непосредственно половых органов.
В каких случаях не стоит делать МРТ?
Несмотря на свою эффективность, компьютерная томография имеет свои противопоказания. Под группу риска попадают следующие факторы:
- Pregnancy. It should be clarified that MRI is harmful only in the first two months of pregnancy when the fetus is born. For an already formed man, tomography poses no threat.
- For people with kidney failure. There is an opportunity to poison markers.
- If you are allergic to iodine.
- People with metal devices in the body (pacemakers, implants, spokes, etc.).
Experts say that doing an MRI during menstruation can, of course, have its own nuances, which are - let's try to figure it out.
MRI during menstruation
Magnetic resonance imaging has its own characteristics. The body of each person is also perfect and unpredictable. That is why it is impossible to say exactly how the menstrual period will affect the results of the study and what damage such a diagnosis will cause the body. It is worth considering each case separately.
Brain research during menstruation
When examining the brain, immersing the whole body does not make any sense, which is why many believe that this will not affect the menstruation, but it is not. In the lower part of the brain is the endocrine gland, which is responsible for adjusting menstruation. If this gland acquires changes (in particular, is affected by a magnetic field) its work is disturbed, and accordingly, the menstrual cycle is also disturbed.
Although doctors disprove such a version, after all, there is no harm to the body in principle, however, the changes have a hard effect on the girl's well-being during changes in the cycle.
MRI of the spine during menstruation
In the specific case, there are only two precautions for MRI:
- Due to the magnetic field, during the period of discharge, the outflow of mucous tissue with blood may increase. This can be fixed with a more absorbent pad, or with additional oilcloth.
- The procedure lasts about an hour, which creates tremendous discomfort. During menstruation, girls experience spasmolytic pain, which will be much stronger under the influence of a magnetic field. During spasms, the picture may be fuzzy.
And also during menstruation, the nervous system of women is a little shaken, emotions are aggravated, nervousness is increased. Since the procedure is rather long, the girl has a lot of excitement and anxiety, which also affects the results of the research.
Checking the gallbladder and pelvis
Such research also assumes full immersion in the device. Menstrual processes can not affect the picture of what is happening in the gallbladder, and digestive organs. Girls, not all, but most, during menstruation, experience flatulence, which can affect the outcome of the scanner.
Well, and finally, is it worth doing tomography during menstruation in the study of the pelvic organs? This case is much more complicated. The study area includes three organs that are included in the process, and, of course, urinary systems. Such a study is prescribed:
- in the formation of incomprehensible elements in the areas of the uterus and ovaries,
- in case of damage to the reproductive system, its inflammation,
- in the formation of cysts,
- with endometriosis (uterine detachment) and myoma.
Doctors always warn that during the menstruation it is not worth examining. There are several contraindications:
- Active blood flow. During the menstrual period, the vessels dilate, which causes an increase in blood flow. In this regard, you can not see the full picture of the body.
- The study of the endometrium is impossible, since the initial layer has already gone, and the new one has not yet had time to form.
- To make an MRI of the vagina is simply impossible, since this prevents the selection.
- If the purpose of the study is to check for the presence of various pathologies, tumors, tumors of the genital organs, then the fullness of the uterus, which is characteristic of the menstrual cycle, will not allow to give reliable results of the study.
Of course, in case of emergency, with serious injuries or disruption of vital organs, an MRI is done during menstruation.
How does the body react to tomography during menstruation?
In itself, this magnetic radiation does not cause any harm to the human body. Over the long years of existence, side effects have not been proven. There are many rumors that the magnetic field has a negative effect on the reproductive system, but these are all groundless arguments. Women who have undergone an MRI, and more than once, without any difficulties, became pregnant and bred full-fledged children.
Of course, some deviation of the menstrual cycle is possible, but this is not directly related to magnetic irradiation. The reason for this is the presence of diseases of the genital organs, which you did not guess earlier, but under the influence of a magnetic field, it began its active development.
There are no threats to health during an MRI examination during menstruation, there is only a great chance to get not quite accurate research results, but no more. Of course, if time endures, it is better to postpone the study until the end of the menstrual cycle, but if this is a necessary measure, then it makes no sense to postpone.
When it is undesirable to carry out the procedure during menstruation?
It does not make sense to conduct a study to identify ovarian neoplasms and their localization.
Despite assurances by radiologists that there are no contraindications for menstruation, they do not recommend going through the procedure to diagnose diseases of the genitourinary and reproductive systems. There are objective reasons for this:
- The regional lymph nodes in many women are greatly enlarged around the perimeter. If you make an MRI to diagnose pathologies that are accompanied by such a symptom, the examination procedure will lose its meaning.
- When menstruation occurs hyperemia of the reproductive system, they are filled with blood and swell. This prevents the detection of benign and malignant tumors, their localization.
- In women with heavy bleeding, blood clots are secreted into the uterus, which are difficult to differentiate from cysts.
- It does not make sense to conduct a study to identify ovarian neoplasms and their localization. When menstruation in these organs of the reproductive system occurs, the maturation of the eggs, which in shape and tissue structure can be mistaken for tumors or cysts.
The presence of increased blood volume may affect the effectiveness of the procedure in diagnosing diseases of the kidneys, urinary canals, adrenal glands.
To the question whether it is possible not to be alarmed during menstruation and to do an MRI scan without fear, the specialists respond positively. Before conducting a diagnostic procedure, you should consult with your doctor, who will dispel all the unreasonable doubts of his patient.
What areas can be scanned
MRI with monthly is performed to scan such areas:
- Brain and spine. There are women who doubt the safety of the procedure during critical days, as they believe that the rays from the device affect the pituitary gland. This area of the brain secretes some sex hormones. Experts say that there is no cause for concern and the normal secretion of hormones does not stop. Resonant magnetic tomography (or MRI) of the spine during menstruation can also be performed. Despite the fact that the body is placed in a capsule completely, menstrual bleeding does not affect the data obtained, since the subject of the study is another area.
- Head and neck, chest - is used to diagnose pathologies of the thyroid gland, blood vessels, mammary glands, vertebrae and spinal cord in the chest.
- The abdominal area - to study the internal organs.
Is it possible to do an MRI during menstruation, the specialist finally decides, taking into account all the features of the woman, but there are no obvious contraindications for these areas.
MRI of small pelvis in women
Computed tomography (CT) for examining the pelvic organs has been used for several decades as one of the most accurate diagnostic methods.
The question of the procedure in this area during menstruation is relevant. MRI of the pelvis during menstruation can be performed if:
- during the examination does not apply a contrast agent,
- There are indications for urgent MRI.
Indications for emergency tomography during critical days are:
- too much bleeding in a woman
- menstrual irregularities, frequent periods, or, conversely, finding out the causes of amenorrhea,
- the presence of blood clots in the feces and urine,
- drastic weight loss without the effort
- constant aching pain in the pelvic area.
Most of the specialists, answering the question whether it is possible to do an MRI in menstruation, still argue that The optimal dates for the procedure are the 7–12th days of the menstrual cycle..
Although bleeding on critical days is not a contraindication, but changes that occur in the body can affect the data. These include:
- dilation of blood vessels due to hormonal processes,
- swollen lymph nodes
- discharge, making it difficult to obtain accurate data on the status of the vagina and uterus.
Conduct research after preliminary preparation. Since the woman is in the supine position for some time, in order to prevent blood flow, it is necessary to use pads for heavy discharge.
Before the MRI procedure, you should take care of your own psycho-emotional state - excessive nervousness can cause body movements during the study, and this is unacceptable.
Absolute contraindications for diagnosis by MRI are:
- the presence in the body of pacemakers and similar devices,
- the presence of foreign particles in the body: implants and metal fragments, including metal tattoos,
- first trimester of pregnancy
- mental disorder - claustrophobia.
When a woman is in critical condition, the procedure is carried out according to indications determined by the doctor.
An MRI is performed at monthly periods if there is an urgent need for this and the period itself is not considered a contraindication. But enlarged lymph nodes, uterus, blood clots in it and in the vagina, a ripening egg can be perceived by a specialist as a tumor or close the review of certain areas.
Not recommended such a study in the first trimester of pregnancy.
The final decision on the diagnosis using magnetic resonance imaging is taken by the doctor, based on the current status and complaints of the woman. If possible, the procedure is recommended to transfer to the period when the monthly run out. In some cases, ultrasound is prescribed for menstruation.
Is there an association between MRI or CT examination and menstruation?
Is it possible to do an MRI during menstruation? It is definitely possible if there is an objective threat to health or expectation contributes to the patient's condition deterioration.
In all other cases, the possibility of diagnosis depends on several factors:
The field of study, that is, which organ or organ system needs to be scanned.
Objective: what pathology the doctor suspects.
Personal preferences, when MR-diagnostics can be carried out, but the state of health does not predispose to a long stay in a fixed position during tomography.
However, menstruation is not a contraindication for magnetic resonance imaging.
MR scan is not performed when:
the presence in the body of implants made of ferromagnetics (metals, on which the magnetic field acts) or electronic devices,
pregnancy for up to 14 weeks
any disease or syndrome that does not allow the patient to remain still or to be in a confined space.
Contraindications to CT are somewhat different, but for this study, menstruation is not a hindrance. Computed tomography is not performed:
pregnant women on any term,
children under 5 years old, and at a later age - in the absence of a referral from a doctor.
Also, these methods have technical limitations, so patients weighing more than 130 kg will not be able to do an MRI, and more than 150 kg - CT.
If the question of contraindications to the study remains unresolved, the specialists of the Diagnostic Center “Medicine of the Northern Capital” will prompt whether an MRI or CT scan is possible. If this study cannot be done, our staff will recommend the best method as an alternative.
All the necessary information you can find out by phone 8 (812) 317-70-73.
Effect of MRI and CT diagnostics on menstrual
The method of magnetic resonance imaging is based on recording the response of various body tissues to an electromagnetic pulse, being in a magnetic field. In this study, soft tissues are better visualized, but much depends on the doctor and the settings of the apparatus itself.
In our medical center, diagnostics are carried out by doctors with at least 7 years experience and continuous improvement of their knowledge. The quality of their work increases due to the presence of high-field tomograph expert class company Siemens.
Neither the magnetic field nor the pulses have an adverse effect on the body, and it does not matter which of the physiological processes occur at the moment.
For the procedure of computed tomography, X-ray radiation is used, and the method is based on the ability of tissues to absorb it. Since bone tissue contains calcium, which absorbs Rg-rays well, CT is the method of choice in the diagnosis of skeletal diseases.
The effect on the body X-ray has, but, thanks to modern technology, it is slightly and quickly eliminated by the body.
When performing MRI and CT with a monthly patient, a few simple recommendations should be observed:
Before the study you need to inform the medical staff about the menstruation. This is especially important if you are diagnosing the pathology of organs in the pelvic cavity or bone structures of this area. So you can avoid overdiagnosis or incorrect interpretation of physiological changes in the reproductive system.
Pain often accompanies critical days and can become a test, especially if necessary for a long time to maintain immobility. Therefore, it is necessary to take an anesthetic for 30-40 minutes before the study. However, for prophylactic purposes (in the absence of pain syndrome), the painkiller should not be taken.
It is better to take care of emotional balance in advance. Due to the influence of hormones during this period, a woman is more susceptible to the adverse effects of stressful situations, so a single intake of herbal-based sedatives will help to cope with anxiety and calmly move the scan.
We should not forget that the duration of the MR scan can reach up to 60 minutes and this should not be another reason for the experience.
A friendly attitude, a relaxed atmosphere and the opportunity to listen to your favorite music during an MRI scan using headphones — in the “Medicine of the Northern Capital” clinic take care of patients' comfort. Also, in our center we are scanning not only during the day, but also at night, so you can always choose the most comfortable time for yourself psychologically.
MRI of the spine during menstruation
An MRI scan of the spine during menstruation is no different from a study in any other period of the menstrual cycle.
However, we must remember that the duration of the tomography of the entire spine is about 1 hour. The only reason for which the examination can be difficult is the patient's well-being and the prone position while maintaining immobility during the scan.
However, almost always tomography is easily transferred:
the magnetic field does not affect the flow of menstruation,
The result of the study does not depend on the phase of the menstrual cycle.
MRI of the pelvic organs during critical days
In the diagnosis of the pelvic organs, regardless of the method of research, gynecologists are of the same opinion: in the development of acute pathology of the reproductive system Scanning should be done the sooner, the better, during menstruation or not - it does not matter.
If you experience the following symptoms, you should immediately consult a doctor:
severe or acute pain,
planned but very heavy or prolonged bleeding,
lower abdominal pain, heavy discharge or fever.
You should not wait until the end of menstruation, if there is a sharp pain in the lower abdomen - it is better to immediately seek help.
In our diagnostic center you can register for an urgent MRI. To do this, just call us by phone 8 (812) 317-70-73 or leave an online application.
If it is necessary to diagnose a non-emergency pathology, a woman is recorded on a tomography of the pelvic organs, often after consulting a doctor and initial research. This means that MRI is often performed to clarify the nature of the pathology.
The indication for such a study may be:
prolonged aching pain in the lower abdomen,
discomfort when emptying the bladder or bowel movements,
clarification of the localization of additional education, its size,
detection of altered lymph nodes,
подготовка к операции на органах малого таза,
контроль после оперативного лечения, химиотерапии или облучения.
In this case, it is recommended to do a scan at a certain phase of the cycle. So the pathology of the ovaries is better visualized in the first phase of the cycle, that is, up to 14 days. The most favorable period is 6-12 days.
To detect diseases of the uterus, the optimal period for tomography is the middle of the menstrual cycle.
Call center staff will always tell you the best time to conduct a study.
CT of the pelvic organs during menstruation
Magnetic resonance imaging is considered to be the best method for detecting the pathology of the organs of the female reproductive system. But if it is impossible to perform an MRI scan, a good alternative is computed tomography with intravenous administration of a contrast agent.
There are additional contraindications to this study, which are not related to the phase of the menstrual cycle:
Any kidney disease that leads to an increase in blood creatinine level, that is, problems with their excretory function.
Severe thyroid dysfunction in the direction of increasing the production of hormones - thyrotoxicosis.
Hypersensitivity to the components of the drug or any manifestations of an allergic nature to iodine.
If you regularly take any medications, be sure to inform your doctor or radiologist about this before tomography.
Indications for computer scanning of the small pelvis in women can be:
diagnosis of the nature of neoplasm growth,
determining the exact size of the tumor,
identification of foci of tumor spread.
To solve such important issues monthly - not a hindrance. The main thing is not to spend time, and conduct research as early as possible.