Mastitis: treatment of folk remedies
Mastitis is a disease of the mammary gland resulting from the progression of the inflammatory process. Most often the pathology occurs in nursing mothers, because during this period the mammary gland is most susceptible to infection. The disease develops in women older than 45 years.
Dangerous mastitis is that there is a risk of the inflammatory process turning into a cancerous form. Different methods of breast treatment are applied depending on the stage of the disease. The advantage, of course, is given to medical methods, but in some cases, additional effects of folk remedies are permissible.
Specificity of mastitis treatment at home
In medicine, there are two types of mastitis: postpartum (lactational) and non-lactational. The cause of the pathology becomes the penetration into the mammary glands of pathogenic bacteria (most often staphylococcus). Infection occurs through wounds formed on the nipples.
Symptoms of the disease are noted almost immediately after the infection begins to progress. When a woman has inflammation:
- chest hurts
- general or local temperature rises
- chest increases in size,
- probing seals,
- there is redness of the areas of the breast.
Depending on the stage of the disease, symptoms may have additional signs. However, the main symptoms only increase their intensity.
If mastitis is not treated, a gangrenous form (gangrene) can gradually develop, which leads to tissue decomposition. In this case, there is a high risk of infection in the blood and the spread of the pathological process in the body. The more advanced the disease, the more difficult it is to cure it.
Treatment of mastitis at home is permissible, but you should consider the risks of complications, so you should definitely visit a doctor. Self-diagnosis and self-treatment for inflammation of the breast is not allowed.
Traditional medicine helps to reduce the effect of the inflammatory process and the symptoms of the disease, but is not able to completely stop the development of the disease. For this reason, it is recommended to carry out treatment at home under the constant supervision of a physician and in the absence of any contraindications to home therapy.
- acute form of the disease, accompanied by purulent processes,
- the presence of contraindications for comorbidities,
- allergic to used products.
The most effective treatment of mastitis folk remedies in the early stages of the disease. Subsequently, traditional medicine helps to significantly reduce the intensity of symptoms.
Folk remedies are becoming increasingly popular in the fight against various diseases due to the fact that they have a natural composition. But it is worth remembering that with significant benefits of home treatment in some cases, including with progressive mastitis, it is necessary to use medication drugs that can cope with the infection, and not just “drown out” its manifestation.
Many of our readers actively apply the well-known technique based on natural ingredients, discovered by Elena Malysheva for the treatment of mastopathy and formations in the chest. We advise you to read.
Popular folk methods of treatment of disease
Different methods can be applied to eliminate the symptoms of the disease and reduce the activity of the pathological process at home. The most effective way is the exposure to salt, herbs and oils.
The peculiarity of the use of salt is that its internal use should be reduced, and it is better to exclude it to reduce the additional provoking of tissue swelling. But for outdoor use salt is ideal.
It is advisable to use sea salt, but in its absence, a substitute for cooking is acceptable. With salt make compresses:
- Boiled water is cooled a little (up to 50 degrees)
- add salt (1st. l. of product per 1 tbsp. of water),
- after dissolving the salt in the liquid, the napkin is lowered,
- moistened cotton fabric is applied to the chest.
Put a compress, avoiding the areola and the nipple itself. For convenience, you can make cuts on the fabric. A napkin is applied over the napkin. To treat inflammation of the mammary gland by this method is possible only in the absence of wounds and cracks in the skin.
When mastitis is not desirable to continue breastfeeding, since the flow of milk causes an exacerbation of the disease, in addition, an infection can be transmitted to the child.
Sage is a plant that can reduce lactation and inflammation. It is recommended to apply this herb in case of an infiltrative or purulent form of breast disease.
From sage make an infusion to be taken orally. For the preparation of infusion will need a teaspoon of chopped herbs and a glass of boiling water. Salvia is poured with water and incubated for one hour, then filtered and drunk. The duration of treatment is one week. Drink the infusion three times a day, one glass.
Chamomile is known for its healing properties, especially antibacterial. Therefore, even medical experts advise the use of this plant in the event of infection.
Chamomile make decoction for a compress, which reduces pain and relieves swelling. Preparing the broth is very simple: 0.2 liters of boiling water pour 3 tbsp. spoons of plant flowers. The preparation is drawn for half an hour, after which the cotton cloth is moistened with liquid and applied to the mammary gland. Make compresses daily during the week. Within one hour, it is necessary to moisten the can three or four times.
One of the most popular folk remedies for mastitis is cabbage. Cabbage is used in a variety of ways. One of the simplest methods is to attach cabbage leaves to the chest.
Having studied the methods of Elena Malysheva in the treatment of MASTOPATHIA, as well as the restoration of functions and shape of the breast, we decided to offer it to your attention.
Also make a compress from cabbage juice. In order to get the juice, you need to grate fresh (young) cabbage. Let her lie down for about twenty minutes, then wring out. The resulting juice is rubbed into the mammary glands.
Cabbage juice reduces inflammation, reduces lactation and helps to soften the seals formed in the chest. It is recommended to use compresses or rubbing in within several days. In the early stages of mastitis, this method helps to overcome the disease in a week.
Many women use camphor oil for mastitis. It has an anesthetic and antiseptic effect. There are various methods of applying camphor oil, for greater effect it is combined with other folk remedies:
- In a glass of vodka, add five drops of oil. Then rub the chest with liquid. Fifteen minutes later, the breasts are washed.
- Camphor oil is added to baby cream at the rate of 2: 1. After the mixture is applied to the mammary glands and washed off after thirty minutes.
- Oil is applied to the cabbage leaf and the leaf is applied to the chest overnight. In the morning, the glands are washed.
- Mix a teaspoon of camphor oil with a tablespoon of cream and a tablespoon of honey. Smear the cream on the chest, covering the top with a handkerchief. Make a compress at night.
Camphor oil has a strong warming effect, and also has contraindications (hypolactation, epilepsy), so its use is possible only after the consent of the attending physician.
Honey has been used for the treatment of mastitis for many decades. This natural remedy has a huge number of useful properties and its effect has a positive effect in the treatment of the inflammatory process of the mammary gland.
In order to eliminate the pathology of the breast, honey is used as follows:
- In equal parts take kalanchoe juice and aloe, corn oil. All components are mixed and infused half a day in the refrigerator. After that, honey is added to the mixture (amount too). The mixture is applied to the tissue and applied to the glands for thirty minutes.
- Peeled onions are baked in the oven without adding water for twenty minutes. The juice extracted from the onions is mixed with natural honey. Then make a compress according to the previous method.
- Honey is mixed with plain flour in a 1: 2 ratio. Make a small pancake, which is applied to the breast before bedtime. Top fix with a cloth or cling film.
When treating mastitis at home, the use of pure alcohol, Vishnevsky ointment and hot decoction of herbs should be excluded. Excessively warming agents can cause the multiplication of infection, which will lead to the rapid progression of the disease.
The process of mastitis
When pathogens penetrate through the wound surface of the fracture into the lymphatic vessels that are in the thickness of the nipple tissue, spread further throughout the mammary gland. It should be noted that the infection can get into the chest not only in this way. Chronic pathologies of an infectious nature present in the body of a young mother can also cause the development of mastitis. These include inflammation of the tonsils (tonsillitis), soft tissues of the tooth (pulpitis), paranasal sinuses (sinusitis).
Mastitis or lactostasis?
The possibility of mastitis in a nursing mother can never be ruled out. Treating it can be quite difficult. But numerous traditional methods of treatment, based on many years of experience of use, contribute to the speedy relief of the patients.
Mastitis is often confused with a symptom-like illness like lactostasis. These are two different diseases. Lactostasis is observed in the form of obstruction of the milk ducts, which is preceded by incorrect or insufficient breast emptying. In this case, in the case of running a similar situation, non-infectious mastitis may develop. In this case, the woman’s general well-being instantly worsens to such a state that the doctor’s emergency assistance may be required.
How to treat mastitis folk remedies: warnings
Today, traditional medicine is quite popular. In many cases, the means prepared in the conditions of the house, give a positive result in the fight against many ailments.
But there is often a risk of the patient's condition worsening with the thoughtless use of questionable prescriptions. For this reason, it is required to consult a doctor before starting self-medication in order to avoid unforeseen negative consequences. It may turn out that the help of official medicine is needed.
As for directly such a disease as mastitis, treatment with folk remedies in some cases really speeds up the healing process. Also with the help of them you can prevent the disease. However, it should be remembered that excluding the possibility of harm, using this method of treatment of mastitis, is also not worth it.
- Purulent mastitis in nursing mothers at home is treated with the help of infusion of sage. Prepared as follows: a teaspoon of raw materials in a glass of boiling water insist 60 minutes, then allowed to cool and filtered. During the week they drink three cups a day. Reception of infusion helps to reduce the amount of milk. When treating mastitis in lactating mothers, this is necessary, but if a woman does not plan to stop feeding, sage will have to be abandoned.
- A teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves is boiled in 300 ml boiling water. Give brew. Use, divided into several portions per day.
- A tablespoon of fresh flowers of potato scrub steamed 0.35 liters of boiling water and insist three hours. Drink a quarter cup twice a day. The use of infusion provokes an aggravation of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- A glass of boiling water for forty minutes steam a tablespoon of dull nettle. After pressing start drinking - two glasses on an empty stomach three times a day.
- To 250 ml of boiling water add 15 g of chamomile. Insist under the lid to cool. Divide the volume into three portions and drink during the day.
- Fifty grams of mandarin seeds and ten grams of licorice root are mixed. Steamed in three cups of boiling water and incubated for seventy minutes under a towel. The whole volume is drunk per day. The treatment is intended for women with non-lactational mastitis.
Alcohol tinctures are used for no longer than a month. During this time, the state of the mammary glands is normalized.
Alcohol tinctures can not be consumed by nursing mothers.
- From fresh burdock squeeze the juice. To two glasses add a glass of vodka. In the refrigerator, insist for two days, after which they begin treatment - a tablespoon three times, washed down with plain water.
- Two large spoons of belladonna in half a cup of quality vodka insist ten days. After filtration, they drink twenty-five drops three times, with a small amount of pure moisture.
- To half a liter of vodka pour sixty grams of chopped ferule root. A week is kept away from sunlight, and then filtered. Drink a tablespoon four times on an empty stomach, washed down with clean water.
Home-made decoctions, according to folk healers, are a good adjuvant for treating mastitis in women and men. Reception should be carried out about two to three weeks.
- At home, dried tangerine peel. Crushed with a knife. A tablespoon of raw materials in a mug of water is boiled for ten minutes from the moment of boiling. Filter and divide the volume into three portions. Eat per day.
- A tablespoon of dried duckweed pour 300 ml of water. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for five minutes. Filtered. Divide into two portions and drink during the day. Uncontrolled reception of the duckweed broth leads to increased nervous excitability and may even cause a nervous breakdown.
- To a liter of water, eight large spoons of horse chestnut flowers are filled. Boil for ten minutes, and insist night warm. Drink 200 ml per day.
- Lactational mastitis is treated with the following collection: a tablespoon of walnut leaves, Budr grass, St. John's wort, lilac roots and burdock. Fill 15 g of the mixture with a mug of water and boil for five minutes. Insist on a folk remedy for fifty minutes and squeeze the raw material. Take 10 ml three times.
- To one and a half liters of hot water add 1 tbsp. l sage, two articles. l St. John's wort and black currant leaves, three tablespoons. l calendula Boil for about ten minutes and allow to cool. Use in any form of mastitis three times in a cup.
- A pair of large spoons connect the grass ivy-like budr, St. John's wort, calendula, chamomile. Add a tablespoon of lilac and walnut leaves. To 400 ml of moisture pour two large spoons of the collection. After boiling boil for no more than three minutes and filter. Drink one-third of a cup four times on an empty stomach.
- Two large spoons mix thyme and burdock. Enter three large spoons of burdock root and one - leaves of lavender. Select half the glasses of raw materials. In a mug of boiling water boil for five minutes. After pressing start the treatment - two glasses three times after meals.
- Fifty grams of corymbide milfoil, stinging nettle and plantain leaves are mixed together. Take half the glasses of raw materials, boil for ten minutes in 500 ml of water. Take a cup twice a day.
Other folk methods
Representatives of unconventional help offer to deal with the signs of mastitis with folk remedies and methods that have shown themselves from the best side.
At the first signs of illness, folk healers recommend using badger fat. The tool is indicated for the treatment of mastitis in women and men. All that needs to be done is to lubricate areas where seals have formed, several times a day.
In case of lactational mastitis, a chest massage is recommended during the reception of a warm shower. Water jets should be directed at the chest, while performing neat massage movements in a clockwise direction. The procedure expands the milk ducts and promotes the removal of infection from them.
In case of acute mastitis, special breast baths are prepared. The temperature is forty-five degrees. Prepare a decoction of chamomile, hypericum, yarrow, taken equally. Five handfuls of the mixture are poured with three liters of liquid and brought to a boil over low heat. Give boil for about ten minutes and filtered. Immerse the mammary glands in the pelvis with the composition for half an hour. After the procedure, bags filled with five tablespoons of parsley, a tablespoon of flax flour and half a cup of rustic milk are applied to the breast.
Following a recommendation without talking to a doctor in advance can have negative consequences, including a sharp deterioration in the course of the disease.
If mastitis is observed in the early stages, Ichthyol ointment is recommended. The mammary glands are lubricated in places of seals twice a day until cure.
Daily rubbing of the mammary glands with ice cubes allows you to overcome pain, relieve inflammation and quickly get rid of seals.
Take half a kilo of chopped blue onions. Fill one-liter jar. Доверху заливают медом майским и две недели выдерживают в прохладном месте под крышкой. В процеженном виде пьют по столовой ложке четырехкратно натощак. Готовое народное средство должно находиться в холодильнике.
Лактационный мастит, сопровождающийся застоем молока, лечат порошком из обычного мела. It is taken four times a tablespoon, washed down with tea from lemon balm. You can replace the freshly squeezed carrot juice. Treatment does not stop until the disappearance of unpleasant symptoms.
An aqueous solution of mummy (1:15 ratio with water) is used for evening rubbing of areas where seals have formed. Treatment is indicated until symptoms disappear. A suitable recipe for getting rid of the disease in men and women.
When purulent form of mastitis treatment is shown to perform a two percent solution of hydrogen peroxide. It is slightly warmed up. In the liquid, wet cotton discs, which are then carefully wipe the skin in places of inflammation. Rubbing should be done every three hours until recovery.
Black elderberry syrup
Washed and dried black elderberry. In a three-liter bottle lay out layers of several centimeters, each time pouring a similar layer of sugar. The bottle is closed with a lid and the day is kept at room temperature away from sunlight. After being cleaned for eight days in the fridge. After the specified time is filtered. Syrup is taken in a teaspoon three times, washed down with a small amount of water.
When mastitis of different nature, including lactation, at home, it is recommended to perform simple physical exercises. They contribute to the resorption of seals.
First of all, resort to conventional push-ups from the floor or sofa. The muscles of the chest at the time of the exercise should work actively. Another exercise involves clamping a small ball in the palms folded in a prayer position. At the same time the ball should be slightly pressed with both hands.
I want to share my own bitter experience in treating mastitis with home remedies. When I fed my son with milk, I suck up my chest. The pain was simply unbearable, a high temperature rose a couple of times. I didn’t want to go to the doctors, because I was just inadmissible to go to the hospital (small child ...). A friend told me that you can be cured with a simple compress - baked onions and honey. I prepared and started treatment. But with every hour my condition worsened. So much so that I was ready to immediately lie on the operating table and sacrifice the beauty of the bust, just to stop this torture! Went to the surgeon. I was examined and prescribed treatment. After a few days it became much easier, and soon everything went away. Lovely girls and women, at the first signs of a problem, seek professional help, pushing the traditional methods of mastitis treatment to the background.
Miroslava, 21 years old
My mother had mastitis. I do not know the reason, but I remember that it was very painful. The doctor, to whom Mom addressed her problem, advised to have an operation. But what woman would like to go under the surgeon's knife and lose attractiveness ?! Mom decided to wait, having experienced popular recipes at home. I remember, I drank some broths and applied plantain and cabbage to inflamed places of the skin. She helped.
Natalia, 34 years old
Somehow our women are very frivolous of diseases like lactostasis and mastitis. But this is so serious that I do not want to think. Just imagine what the consequences may be in case of delay and failure of the normal treatment! I'm not talking about the operation, which comes to all who did not want to give up doctors in time. I personally bypassed mastitis (I hope it will be so in the future), but my friend somehow happened. Well, she didn’t run around the healers, but turned to a competent doctor.
Opinion of doctors
Ksenia Vyacheslavovna, gynecologist
Our grandmothers called mastitis breast, which is completely justified. Pathology affects the mammary glands, representing an inflammatory-infectious process in the breast tissue. Mastitis can be lactational and non-lactational. The first one is much more widespread, since it occurs in the postpartum period, when many young mothers have stagnant milk in the milk ducts. Due to their own ignorance, women late turn to breastfeeding specialists, allowing the disease to unfold from all sides.
The disease manifests itself as a feeling of swelling of the mammary gland and the appearance of nodules, a rise in temperature (it may not happen, but more often it is present), severe pain in places where the lumps form. If you suspect a pathology should immediately be examined by the attending physician's antenatal clinic. In particularly advanced cases, it is worth contacting the surgeon directly. For the diagnosis will have to pass a series of tests, including general urine and blood tests, and undergo ultrasound.
How to get rid of mastitis, if the diagnosis is still made? If the condition of the woman is satisfactory, and the duration of the disease does not exceed three days, conservative treatment is prescribed. The operation is carried out at the start of purulent mastitis, when drugs and other medical methods do not work. The operation takes place in a hospital under general anesthesia. But trying to cure mastitis at home, preparing poultices, tinctures and decoctions, is the same as immediately going under the surgeon's knife. With such actions, the woman starts the disease, because the cabbage leaf is not able to cope with the infection.
Maria Vitalevna, obstetrician-gynecologist
Speaking of mastitis, I want to immediately refer to each woman and remind you of the consequences of refusing professional help. Why am I talking about this? The fact is that more and more cases of self-treatment occur today. Modern women believe that the Internet is the best adviser than a highly qualified specialist who has spent more than one year of her life studying. The same women came up with myths about the benefits of warming compresses and the miraculous power of alcohol infusions. In fact, home treatment is a dangerous procedure, provoking complications, and any folk remedy requires a serious approach to itself. If you do not contact the doctor at the early stage of the problem, you will very soon have to face a purulent stage. And, as you know, purulent mastitis is treatable by surgery. So is it worth risking consciously putting yourself in danger?
Volkov Sergey Vladimirovich, Professor of the Department of Allergology and Immunology, founder of the site nodoctor.ru
Mastitis is an infectious disease in which there is inflammation of the mammary glands. It develops more frequently in women in the postpartum period (95%), although the disease is not excluded in the case of older women and men. Symptoms occur in a matter of hours. If you do not respond in a timely manner, the condition gradually deteriorates: the temperature rises, weakness and severe pain appear. If you seek medical help earlier, you can get by with conservative methods. It is not only about taking medications, but also about massage, physiotherapy, etc. At a late stage when pus is formed in places of inflammation, the situation becomes complex. Doctors usually recommend immediate surgery.
The recipes of home medicine in the case of mastitis, especially when it is neglected, are more often powerless, although some show efficacy in the issues of pain relief. Assign the same cabbage compresses or fito-broths can only be a doctor after the examination and receiving on his hands the results of tests.
Treatment of mastitis with non-drug agents
Mastitis (infants) is an unpleasant and dangerous disease. It is more common in women who are breastfeeding, but sometimes occurs outside of lactation. How can you help yourself, being out of the hospital, before visiting a doctor?
It should immediately be said that this is not a disease that can be cured with herbs or compresses, and it progresses very quickly without adequate treatment. Therefore, the measures that we describe below should be used at the first symptoms of lactostasis, so that mastitis should not require medical or surgical treatment. But since many women call lactostasis mastitis, we will do the same in our article. If you have been diagnosed with mastitis by a doctor, and the doctors simply do not do this, they should even notify the SES about the case of the disease, you should follow only his medical recommendations.
Postpartum mastitis in women most often begins with lactostasis. It happens in the first 2-3 days after the start of production of breast milk. While his number dramatically exceeds the amount needed by the child. If time does not get rid of lactostasis, pathogenic microorganisms can get into the mammary gland, for example, Staphylococcus aureus, streptococcus, E. coli, Proteus, and then mastitis begins. Usually the earliest - 7 days after birth, this disease is diagnosed.
And since the treatment of mastitis during breastfeeding is carried out with antibiotics, and they will not bring benefit to the child during breastfeeding, follow the recommendations.
1. Do compresses. If there is a lot of milk, then cool is better. After feeding, if the breast remains tense, it is possible to express the milk a little and make a compress from the cabbage leaves on the breast. You just need to rinse the sheets under running water and put in the refrigerator for a few minutes. Next, attach to the chest. Change the leaves of cabbage should be when they warmed up and become flabby.
2. Hold the breast under warm water before feeding. This will help the milk ducts to open, and when the baby sucks the breast, the baby will be more actively discharged from the alveoli.
3. Calm down. In the stressed state, milk is thrown out of the ducts slowly and rarely. Perhaps you can help tea from lemon balm during feeding. You can add more mint there, by the way, it will not only soothe, but also help to slightly reduce the production of milk.
4. Take herbs from lactation. Usually, mastitis is treated at home with herbs that partially quench the lactation if they are taken in moderation. To these, in addition to mint, can be attributed to sage - a natural source of female hormones. If the milk becomes a little less, lactostasis will get rid of faster. Slightly moving away from the topic of folk remedies for treating mastitis at home, it should be said that the disease in the hospital is treated the same way, slightly extinguishing lactation, but only with the help of drugs - Dostinex, Parlodel or Bromkriptina.
5. Homemade treatment of mastitis in lactating women using folk methods involves the use of alder leaves. They insist in a glass of boiling water. Impregnate the fabric with infusion and apply to the diseased breast in the intervals between feeding the child.
6. Exercise on the pectoral muscles. Yes, a folk remedy for mastitis is not only compresses, but also an easy sport. First of all, push-ups from the floor. It should be noted that they are contraindicated in women after cesarean section for at least six months after the operation.
7. Lotions with vegetable oil and starch. Vegetable oil is generally an excellent tool for various pathological processes during lactation. So at home, treatment of mastitis in nursing such folk remedies is recommended.
8. Compresses with baked onions on the seal in the chest. If there is no oven, the usual frying pan will fit, the onions can be simply extinguished in a small amount of water until softened. After cooling, the onion is placed on the chest, and on top of the gauze or bandage.
These measures are applied with moderate fever - up to 38-38.5 degrees. If the temperature is higher, severe weakness and pain in the chest during feeding, you should immediately consult a doctor, as this is real mastitis. Well, how to treat purulent mastitis at home, we will not tell, since its treatment is only operational.
Causes of Mastitis
Reason 1. The most common cause of the disease is Staphylococcus aureus bacterium, which is transmitted from the nasopharynx of the newborn in the process of breastfeeding (especially if the mother neglects the rules of hygiene). The infection begins to manifest when it falls on the connective tissue. Then cracks, sores on nipples are formed. If no action is taken in a timely manner, the bacteria get into deeper tissues and then purulent inflammation of the breast develops.
Reason 2. Foci of chronic disease that exist in the body (pyelonephritis, tonsillitis, "stomatogenic focus"), which fall on the mammary glands, are also capable of provoking mastitis.
Reason 3. Milk stagnation. Occurs when improper or inaccurate pumping. This is dangerous because a cork is formed in the ducts, for which reason feeding becomes painful, and since there is a lot of nutrients in milk, it is an ideal medium for the development of bacteria.
Reason 4. Draft from the open window, overheating or overcooling.
Reason 5. Tight bra.
Methods of dealing with mastitis: drug treatment or folk remedies at home
The disease develops very quickly, within one or two days, therefore at the first signs it is necessary to start the fight against the sore. So with an unrolled form, treatment of mastitis with folk remedies at home can be effective. But in any case it is worth contacting a specialist for a more accurate examination and prescription of treatment.
So serous mastitis can be cured by using drugs that reduce inflammation and suppress the growth of bacteria. As anesthesia using local anesthetics. Not bad in the complex to use traditional remedies.
With purulent form of mastitis cope promptly. Also take antibiotics in the postoperative period.
Important! Treatment should begin at the first sign! In this case, mastitis is easier to heal. If you do not take action in its development, mastitis threatens to develop into breast cancer.
Recipes for the treatment of mastitis at home folk remedies
In the treatment of mastopathy a very good effect can be obtained by applying the knowledge accumulated by the people. If this is the initial form of the sore, you can cope with it by curing mastitis with folk remedies at home. In more complex cases, you can get the effect, using the recipes of traditional medicine in combination with drug treatment. But in any situation, it is impossible to neglect the advice of a doctor.
Dill Seeds for Mastitis
Dill seeds have a unique chemical composition. The trace elements and the vitamins they contain can accelerate the recovery of women suffering from mastitis. In this case, sulfur, phosphorus, zinc, selenium help to get rid of inflammation.
Recipe 1. Dill seed decoction
• dill seeds - 1 tablespoon,
To cook the broth, the seeds must be poured with water, boil until boiled for a couple of minutes, insist, cool. Use the decoction 3 times a day in small portions.
Honey with mastitis
Recipe 1. Honey compress
In the early stages of mastopathy, honey is a very effective remedy. With milk stagnation, there is nothing easier than treating mastitis at home with folk remedies than applying a compress with honey. It has analgesic, warming effect, the process of pumping becomes not so painful. Impose it in the evening, not expressing milk.
Important! Such a compress with the stagnation of milk can be done only on the first day of the appearance of the disease.
Recipe 2. Honey cake
Ingredients must be taken in equal proportions, mix. Top insulated with polyethylene, a warm scarf. 15-20 minutes is enough for the cake to work.
Note. Instead of flat bread, you can simply spread the chest with honey, cover it with polyethylene, and insulate it.
Cabbage has long been considered an excellent tool for the treatment of various sores. Mastitis is not an exception. In addition to the cabbage leaves are able to act as a painkiller, they also have a beneficial effect on the general condition. Being affordable and cheap, they can have an antibacterial and preventive effect.
Recipe 1. Cabbage Wrap
To carry out the procedure, you should take a fresh cabbage leaf, beat it from the inside, so that it pours the juice, put the leaf on the chest with the inside, fix it with a bandage, but not tightly so as not to disturb the blood flow in the body. It is better to do this procedure before bedtime, leave for the night.
Note! Instead of a cabbage leaf, you can use the burdock leaf or coltsfoot sheet with the same effect. But before you apply, scalding with boiling water is a mandatory procedure.
Herbal treatment for mastitis
In the treatment of many diseases very often used medicinal plants. The recipes that were once used by our great-grandmothers at the time received a scientific justification. Many herbs are applied externally, but there are those from which they prepare decoctions for internal use.
Harvesting, motherwort and yarrow
• motherwort - 2 tbsp. l.,
• Yarrow - 2 tbsp. lt
• boiled water - 1 l.
The collection of herbs should be poured in a thermos, insist for 1 hour. Drink one glass before meals. This broth can be consumed for a long time (up to six months).
Decoction of burdock root
For cooking use burdock root. One tablespoon should be poured with a liter of boiling water, insist, drink 3 times a day.
Prevention of mastopathy
A nursing mother should be attentive to the condition of the nipples. Любые трещины, повреждения, за которыми не был вовремя осуществлен должный уход, могут стать причиной мастопатии.So if you have seen any wounds, you should start using special pads when feeding, treat the nipples themselves with saline, sea buckthorn oil. And the simplest option is laundry soap, which can be found in every home.
Important is the way mom puts the baby to the breast. In the first weeks of a baby's life, before feeding it, some milk should be drained. If milk remains in the breast after feeding, it must be decanted, and if the need arises, this must also be done between feeding.
Lactating mothers need to wear special clothes. An important point is the need to avoid hypothermia, pay attention to personal hygiene.
To prevent the milk from thickening in the streams, you should drink a sufficient amount of liquid. So a woman's body produces from 1 to 1.5 liters of milk per day, so the amount of liquid you drink should be from 2 to 2.5 liters per day. This can be water (spring, key or filtered, yogurt, kefir milk with or without tea, compote, herbal or regular tea).
Conservative therapy or surgery: when, to whom and why
Conservative treatment is prescribed for women with a serous form and an early stage of infiltrative mastitis. The disease is accompanied by reddening of the skin, fever up to 38–38.5 degrees, milk stagnation, pain in the mammary glands and engorgement.
Conservative methods include:
- taking antibiotics and antibacterial drugs
- the use of ointments, compresses, massage and thermal procedures,
- taking dietary supplements and vitamin complexes,
- the use of folk remedies.
Surgical intervention is recommended when exacerbation of mastitis and the transition of the infiltrative form to abscess. A patient has one large or several medium capsules filled with pus in the chest. The mammary gland becomes hard and painful, the inflammation spreads to the soft tissues and small capillaries.
Lactational mastitis treatment
Mastitis often develops in lactating women. In most patients, the disease is diagnosed at 6–12 weeks after delivery. Conservative treatment of lactational mastitis consists of several points:
- Consultation with the doctor and the continuation of breastfeeding. Women are advised not to suppress lactation, but to attach the baby to the mammary glands at least 9–12 times a day. Regular feeding prevents stagnant milk, eases the symptoms of mastitis and speeds recovery.
- Effective milk removal. If the doctor recommends that you stop breastfeeding for a while, the woman should express the milk with her hands, a warm bottle, or a breast pump. Special devices can be supplemented with massage. It improves blood circulation, helps to remove corks in the milk ducts and makes pumping easier. Massage should be carried out after consulting a doctor, because in some cases it only increases the inflammation.
- Symptomatic treatment. Patients with lactation prescribe analgesics that are safe for the baby. Means reduce the temperature and discomfort in the mammary glands, help the body fight inflammation.
- Antibacterial therapy. Analgesics supplement antibacterial agents. They are prescribed in the presence of cracks in the nipples and severe disease. Antibacterial drugs are necessary if the symptoms of mastitis do not diminish after 12-24 hours after the improvement of milk outflow.
Antibacterial therapy is selected after bacterial seeding of milk. The physician must determine which infection provoked inflammation: Staphylococcus aureus or Gram-negative organisms. It depends on which drug is better to prescribe for effective treatment.
Treatment of non-lactating mastitis
Therapy for non-lactating mastitis depends on the course of the disease. If the pathology has arisen due to hormonal imbalance in the body and is not accompanied by pronounced symptoms, treatment is not required. Patients are recommended to be observed by a doctor and diet. In some cases, a specialist may prescribe hormone therapy, if there are no contraindications.
When chest pain, fever and redness of the skin, the doctor prescribes painkillers, as well as antibiotics and antihistamines. They inhibit the growth of bacteria and remove the symptoms of mastitis.
Surgical intervention in non-lactational form of the disease is recommended in two cases:
- mastitis symptoms do not diminish after 2-4 days after the prescription of antibiotics and antihistamines,
- inflammation spreads to healthy tissues, an abscess forms in the mammary glands.
In the postoperative period, women are prescribed immunomodulatory drugs and vitamin-mineral complexes. You can also pick up hormonal agents for the prevention of relapse.
Antibiotics and antibacterial drugs
Antibiotics take 10-14 days. It is not possible to interrupt therapy even after the symptoms disappear. Antibacterial drugs are administered intramuscularly or intravenously, but are sometimes prescribed orally.
For infectious mastitis, amoxicillin is prescribed - substances with antibacterial properties. Amoxicillin can be combined with clavulanic acid or sulbactam. The drugs inhibit the development of staphylococcal and streptococcal infections, as well as gram-negative microorganisms.
Treatments on the basis of amoxicillin include:
The clavulanic acid and amoxicillin preparations include:
At the initial stage of the disease, a woman is prescribed "Flucloxacillin" or "Cloxacillin" - penicillin preparations that inhibit the growth of microorganisms and slow the spread of inflammation. Cefalexin, Dicloxacillin or Erythromycin are also often used.
Symptoms of lactation mastitis are removed by “Ibuprofen” or “Paracetamol”. Painkillers supplement antispasmodics: “No-Shpoy”, “Pituitrin” or a combination of “Papaverine hydrochloride” and “Oxytocin”. They improve the flow of milk and normalize breastfeeding.
With non-lactating mastitis, you can take "Diclofenac" or "Nimesulide" to eliminate pain, as well as diuretic herbal preparations and dietary supplements from edema and to cleanse the body of toxins.
Antibacterial therapy is supplemented with antihistamine drugs:
Patients prone to hypotension and septic shock are prescribed "Hydrocortisone" or "Prednisone". In the presence of pus in the milk and the refusal of breastfeeding, lactation is suppressed with Bromkriptin, Parlodel, Dostinex, or Lactodel.
In infectious mastitis, immunomodulators are shown:
- Methyluracil - orally three times a day,
- Pentoxyl - three times a day orally,
- Antistaphylococcal gamma globulin - intramuscularly three times a day, 1–2 day break,
- Polyglobulin - intramuscularly 1 time in 1-2 days,
- Taktivin - intramuscularly daily 1 time per day.
Immunomodulators cannot be prescribed independently. Preparations are selected by the doctor, based on the patient's history and analysis.
Immunological resistance of the body is increased with B vitamins and ascorbic acid. Micronutrients can be obtained from food or vitamin-mineral complexes:
Vitamin complexes can be supplemented with probiotics: "Linex", "Bifiform" or "Hilak Forte". They restore the intestinal microflora after antibiotic therapy and increase immunity.
Creams and ointments
Preparations for internal use supplement local anti-inflammatory drugs. They reduce swelling, heal cracks, remove discomfort in the mammary glands and improve the flow of milk.
Common products for external use include:
- Progestogel Gel is a hormonal drug for lactostasis, edema and discomfort. Apply once at the early stage of mastitis.
- Cream and ointment "Traumel" - anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory agent. Relieves swelling, reduces pain and tension. Apply 2-3 times a day during lactostasis and with serous form of mastitis.
- Dexpanthenol gel is a regenerating and anti-inflammatory drug. Heals and disinfects nipple cracks, reduces inflammation, accelerates breast regeneration after surgery. Apply daily 2-3 times on clean skin, apply for acute and chronic mastitis.
- Ointment "Etony" - an antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory drug. Suppresses reproduction of staphylococci and streptococci, has anesthetic and wound healing properties. Apply 1-2 times a day for acute infectious mastitis.
- Ointment "Heliomycin" - an antimicrobial agent. Heals cracks and wounds on the mammary glands, inhibits the growth of staphylococcus and streptococcus, removes inflammation. Apply 1-2 times per day for lactational mastitis in serous and infiltrative form.
Syntomycin, heparin and leukomekole ointments have analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. The drugs are used externally 1-3 times a day for lactostasis and mastitis to reduce the symptoms of the disease.
Abscess form of mastitis is treated surgically. In the presence of one small formation puncture aspiration of pus is possible. A thin needle is inserted into a capsule filled with a secret. The process is monitored using an ultrasound machine. Using a needle, empty the capsule and inject an antibiotic into it to stop the inflammation.
For multiple and large abscesses, surgery is recommended. It is carried out in a hospital under local or general anesthesia - it depends on the patient’s condition and the stage of the disease. The surgeon makes a longitudinal incision from the nipple to the base of the breast, at least - horizontal, passing under the mammary gland. The doctor removes pus capsules and damaged tissue, combines multiple masses and washes the wound with an antiseptic solution. Drainage is introduced into the cavity, which will bring out purulent contents. It is left for 3-4 days. If inflammation is reduced, drainage is removed, and the hole left after it is sutured.
After surgery, a woman is prescribed an infusion therapy - cleansing the body of toxins with special solutions. Also, the patient is prescribed antibiotics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and immunomodulators.
Folk treatment at home
Folk treatment is appropriate only for lactostasis and serous form of mastitis. Home remedies must be combined with antibacterial therapy and immunomodulators. The effectiveness of folk treatment has not been proven, but many women use the means at hand to reduce swelling, pain and redness of the breast.
Compresses from mastitis are made from medicinal herbs and vegetables. There are several options:
- pumpkin pulp boiled in milk,
- a mixture of baked onions and linseed oil,
- decoction of sweet clover or black alder leaves,
- cakes of flower honey and wheat flour,
- mashed soybeans,
- potato starch paste with olive and linseed oil.
Compresses hold from 40 minutes to 2-3 hours. Warm lotions are prohibited with purulent mastitis.
Infectious mastitis is treated with ichthyol ointment and Vishnevsky ointment. The preparations are applied directly to the inflamed area in the form of compresses. Ichthyol ointment is effective at the initial stage. It soothes itching, inflammation and slows down the reproduction of germs.
Vishnevsky ointment is used for infectious mastitis, as well as in the postoperative period after the opening of the abscess. The tool removes inflammation, accelerates the regeneration of damaged nipples and suture.
Alcohol compresses for mastitis are contraindicated. They only increase the inflammation. Alcohol rubdowns of the reddened area can be carried out only after consulting a gynecologist.
In the first 4–5 days, an ice bladder is recommended to apply to the chest. The cold slows down the proliferation of bacteria and removes discomfort. Ice is wrapped with a towel or scarf to prevent frostbite and hold no longer than 3 minutes after each feeding.
Honey compresses and rubbing disinfect, prevent the growth of germs and have healing properties. Honey can be used in several ways:
- mix with onion juice
- add to the tortilla of wheat flour and vegetable oil,
- combine with dried duckweed and aloe juice,
- Mix with sesame seeds and olive oil.
Honey compresses are used only cold and no more than 2 times a day.
Essential oils are recommended for non-lactating mastitis. Nursing women are contraindicated. Essential compounds can cause allergies in a child.
Oils are added to cold compresses and cakes. The most effective:
- mint - lowers the temperature, has antimicrobial properties,
- camphor - relieves and reduces inflammation,
- juniper - disinfects and removes swelling,
- fir - destroys staphylococcus, suppresses inflammation.
In the compresses add 2-3 drops of essential oil. Before using the component must make an allergic test for the prevention of rashes and edema.
Herbal-based decoctions are a good base for cold compresses. Water infusions can also be taken orally, but only after consulting a doctor.
For mastitis, women are recommended:
- sage - inhibits lactation, has antibiotic properties,
- Melilot officinalis - relieves spasms in the milk ducts, reduces pain,
- alder - has anti-inflammatory properties,
- mint - soothes, relieves,
- Chamomile is a natural antiseptic, recommended for infectious mastitis.
Timely treatment of mastitis allows you to maintain the health and function of the breast. And for the prevention of relapse, a woman should follow the rules of hygiene, put the baby to the breast as often as possible, follow the recommendations of specialists and not refuse therapy, and if necessary - from surgical intervention.
Prohibited mastitis therapy method
Under no circumstances is it permissible to apply the heating of the mammary glands in this disease. So you can only aggravate mastitis. Treatment with folk remedies in the form of compresses or lotions of hot temperature will create favorable conditions for the accelerated reproduction of pathogenic bacteria. This will cause the disease to progress. The method of heating is sometimes advised by experienced mothers and grandmothers, not realizing that it can only improve with lactostasis. Applying hot herbal decoctions and other mixtures will help relieve symptoms of mastitis outside the chest. This can be taken as a positive effect of treatment, but the procedure will affect the focus of infection in the manner indicated above.
At the slightest suspicion of mastitis, warming of the mammary glands should be categorically refused.
Compresses for mastitis: rules of application
Compresses are the main way of traditional medicine to get rid of this disease. They are able to save a woman from the pain and the feeling of "opening up" the breast. The basic principle of application of compresses in this case is the exclusion from the list of used components of hazardous substances, which can be applied both through ignorance and consciously.
As mentioned above, it is strictly forbidden to warm the chest during mastitis. That is, compresses during mastitis should be applied warm or cool, but not hot. It should be realized that there is an inflammatory process in the mammary glands, and warming will only aggravate the situation.
Compress of honey and cottage cheese
What other foods can stop mastitis? Treatment of folk remedies can be carried out with the help of cottage cheese and honey. Compress with these components should be applied to the chest overnight. It is required to apply a layer of honey on a gauze or tissue sterile napkin, followed by cottage cheese. To prevent the flow of funds you can put a piece of waxed or compress paper under the material. Compress should be applied to the patient's chest (a layer of cottage cheese to the skin). For reliability, it should be fixed with a bandage. After removing the compress chest should be washed with water at room temperature.
This compress is recommended for use in the daytime. First you need to bake onions. It is recommended to do this with an oven and a dry clean frying pan with a lid. Onion peeling is not necessary before baking. Then you need to cut the head across and, after cooling, apply the inner side to the affected mastitis areas of the breast. For some time, you need to fix the compress with a bandage.
Compress made from the seeds of plantain
For the preparation of a healing agent, it is necessary to thoroughly crush the plantain seeds and connect them with water at room temperature. The resulting gruel is recommended to apply to the sore chest during mastitis. It works much more effectively if it is prepared on the basis of potato or rice starch, which must first be diluted with water to obtain a consistency of thick cream.
Herbal ointment for the treatment of mastitis
Для приготовления мази необходимо соединить софору японскую, шаровидный эвкалипт, лекарственный донник (в равных долях). Полученный сбор в количестве трех ложек (столовых) следует смешать с кипятком (достаточно 200 мл) и варить в течение 5 минут. Затем средство требуется остудить и процедить. To the resulting broth, add butter in the amount of 100 grams. Prepared ointment for mastitis is applied with tissue napkins on the chest (and on the affected areas, and healthy).
Such an unpleasant disease, like mastitis of the breast, can be avoided if you follow some simple rules, namely:
- After feeding the baby, milk should be thoroughly expressed.
- Before serving, the second breast baby should completely empty the first one. This is a prerequisite for preventing the development of mastitis.
- If the baby has enough milk from one breast, the next feeding should be done with the other.
- Should control the process. The baby should not just suck the breast, but get milk from it.
Treatment of mastitis at home
Our ancestors were also “familiar” with the disease in question, which is why there is nothing surprising in the fact that there are dozens of recipes for which you can prepare a therapeutic agent. There are some rules that should be observed in the event that a woman marks the first signs of inflammation of the breast.
If a tightness has appeared in the breast, the skin over it has acquired a red tint and becomes hot to the touch, then the woman should follow the following recommendations:
- The chest, which is affected by the pathological process, must be tied up. At least 2 times a day it should be treated with ichthyol ointment, but not rubbed into the skin, but simply applied with a thin layer.
- At the place of formation of the seal you need to put a gauze cloth dipped in alcohol. The napkin should be on the chest until it is completely dry, then the procedure is repeated.
- You can not apply to the affected breast of the child, but the milk must be decanted to the last drop. Even if such manipulation is painful in nature, a woman must endure - the full expression of milk prevents the development of an abscess.
- If an abscess has already formed in the affected breast, and in the expressed milk there is an admixture of pus or blood, then a compress based on a 2% hydrogen peroxide solution should be applied to the sealing site.
Note:if a woman has a seal in her chest with purulent contents (abscess), then in no case should you feed the baby even with a healthy breast! Milk should be decanted regularly and pour out - this will prevent the progression of the inflammatory process and keep the lactation in order to continue breastfeeding after recovery.
Folk treatment of mastitis: compresses
As soon as there was a tightness in the chest, or when breastfeeding was noted, pain in the breast (these are the first signs of mastitis), you should use one of the following compresses recipes:
- Cabbage leaves need to beat off the blunt side of the knife before softening and the appearance of juice. Then they are applied to the affected breast, and the top is worn with a bra of cotton fabric. Keep the cabbage leaves until they become dried, dried. This compress will help get rid of the heat and swelling of the breast.
- Mix honey with wheat flour until soft. Then the resulting mass should be rolled out with a rolling pin into a thin layer and applied to the affected breast. Such a compress is put on the night, from above it is necessary to tie any warm fabric - a scarf, a kerchief. Honey flour perfectly absorbs compaction and stops the progression of the inflammatory process.
- It is necessary to moisten a gauze napkin or any rag in camphor oil, squeeze it to a wet state, but it should not drip oil. Then the tissue is applied to the affected breast, the top is covered with all gauze or a piece of sheet, and a compress is left for several hours (2-6). Camphor oil contributes to the rapid resorption of the seal.
- Prepare a slurry of baked onions - just chop the ready-made onion, mix it with milk and honey in equal proportions. The resulting gruel is applied to the affected breast in the area of localization of the seal, covered with gauze or polyethylene on top, wrapped in something warm. This compress provides resorption seals and helps reduce the intensity of inflammation. Compress of the three components is put on for 3-4 hours, then take a break for 2-3 hours and repeat the procedure.
- Take 2 tablespoons of dry clover, pour a glass of boiling water and insist for 60 minutes. Then, in the resulting infusion, a napkin is moistened and applied to the affected breast for 2-3 hours. 3-4 procedures should be done per day. This compress is not necessary to warm anything, but to wear a bra made of natural material would be appropriate.
- In milk, you need to boil the pumpkin until tender (pulp), then it is kneaded into a uniform gruel and applied to the chest at the site of compaction. Top pumpkin gruel covered with gauze and then make all the layers of a classic compress. If a little sugar is added to the finished pumpkin pulp, then a compress from this gruel will “pull” pus out of an abscess, at least it will speed up the process of its release.
- If the mastitis problem occurred in the summer, then fresh leaves of the mother and stepmother should be applied to the affected breast. It is necessary to pluck large and fleshy leaves from a plant, it is better to discard thickening on them. Coltsfoot has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect, so the healing process will take place in a short time.
Note:All compresses can be put only after permission of the doctor is obtained. In any case, at elevated body temperature, any warming procedures are contraindicated for a woman, and therefore compresses are prohibited.
Ointments for the treatment of mastitis at home
Ointments for the treatment of mastitis have a certain popularity - they are easily prepared, applied without any effort. A woman should remember that the ointment can not be rubbed into the skin of the affected breast, you need to apply them in light circular movements. There are many recipes for treating breast inflammation in fact. We offer to familiarize only some of them:
- Take cumin seeds and dried mint leaves, mix in equal quantities and pound. Now you need to add a little rye flour and water to the collection - “at the exit” should be a creamy mass. The finished product is applied to the affected breast and left there until it is completely dry, washed off with warm water. Before the next use, the ointment from the seeds of cumin and mint should be simply heated in a water bath. Use the ointment should be 2-3 times a day until complete recovery.
- Rice starch must be sifted through a sieve (to remove debris), add vegetable oil to it in such quantity that a viscous mass is obtained. It is applied to the affected breast and left to dry completely. Rice starch can be replaced by potato, but not desirable.
- Take the celandine leaves (they can be fresh or dry), chop them and add to the melted butter. The proportions of ingredients: a teaspoon of vegetable raw materials per tablespoon of ghee. Mix everything thoroughly and spread a thin layer on the affected breast at least 3 times a day. Stored ointment in a cool place.
The above describes the most popular methods of treatment of mastitis, which are known not only to traditional healers, but also to the official representatives of medicine. But there are also not quite traditional methods that deserve attention, especially since they are approved by official medicine.
Unusual treatments for mastitis
As soon as the first signs of inflammation of the mammary gland appeared (reddening of the skin, induration or pain while feeding the baby), you need to take an isotonic solution, moisten a gauze napkin in it and apply it to the problem breast until it is completely dry. Such applications should be done at least 5 per day. Instead of an isotonic solution, you can use a strong saline solution prepared from 200 ml of water and 2 tablespoons of regular salt.
From the usual beet you need to "get" 150 liters of juice, mix it with 50 ml of vegetable oil (preference should be given to sea buckthorn), 1 tablespoon of chopped golden root and 100 grams of grated carrots. The resulting mass should be applied to the skin of the affected breast, with an emphasis on the location of the inflammatory process.
If mastitis happened in spring and early summer, then you need to find flowers of potatoes (they can be white and purple), collect them in the amount of 1 tablespoon and pour 200 ml of boiling water. Infused means for 20-30 minutes, then used in ¼ cup 2 times a day.
Note:potato flowers can provoke an exacerbation of chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract organs, so you need to be extremely careful when using this tool.
If mastitis is just beginning, and there is still no compaction, and the woman only feels the milk stagnates in her breast, then boiled beet pulp, crumb of black bread (in equal proportions) and 3-5 drops of sesame seed oil will help her.. This tool is applied to the problem chest, kept for 2-3 hours and then washed off with warm water.
If the disease is already actively progressing and is in an advanced stage, then you will need to prepare the following remedy:
- melted wax in the amount of 30 grams mixed with 5 drops of camphor oil, 4 drops of rose oil and 10 grams of wood ash,
- mix everything thoroughly and heat it in a water bath so that the mass is “good but tolerantly hot”.
The mass is applied to the affected breast three times a day.
Mastitis is a well-studied disease that can be easily cured with folk remedies. It is important to understand here that you first need to visit a specialist and only after that use some of the folk remedies for therapy. It is not necessary to change the remedy every day - the healing effect is unlikely to occur in this case, but it will be appropriate to consult with your doctor about the choice. Our article describes proven. safe and approved by official medicine for the treatment of mastitis from the category "traditional medicine, so you can use them without fear of complications and / or undesirable consequences.
Tsygankova Yana Alexandrovna, medical commentator, therapist of the highest qualification category
12,399 total views, 8 views today