Is yogurt useful during pregnancy?
Pregnancy is precisely that period in a woman’s life, which strengthens her measure of responsibility to her health. After all, now a woman lives literally for two - for herself and her unborn child.
Therefore, the choice of food during this period must be approached especially carefully. After all, often what the future mommy wants so much can harm the baby. And you still want some tasty food, and often it is yoghurt! But whether yogurt during pregnancy will benefit or harm?
The benefits of yogurt during pregnancy
Much can be said about the usefulness of a product like yogurt. For example, the fact that there are a lot of vitamins and microelements useful for the body. And even more, all these “utilities” are very easily digested, because it is a “live” drink that carries all the trace elements throughout the body. It does not cause allergies, even in those people who absolutely do not tolerate milk protein. It contains protein casein, which facilitates the absorption of even lactose.
Lactobacilli, which "live" in yogurt, help pregnant women to easily overcome all problems with the intestines and the stomach. But this is the most common of the problems during pregnancy - "disagreements" with the intestines and stools. The microflora with the help of yogurt is constantly maintained at the proper level, therefore a strong barrier is set up for intestinal infections and other troubles.
The components of yogurt help women during pregnancy to improve their immunity. But this is also one of the major problems of pregnant women - all the sores just stick to them, because the immunity during pregnancy is greatly weakened due to the restructuring of the body.
It is the “living” bacteria of yogurt that helps not only to perfectly assimilate all the vitamins, but also literally update the white blood cells. But it is they who fight in our bodies against viruses, "bad" bacteria and infection.
A frequent problem during pregnancy - thrush - is also perfectly treated with yogurt. In addition to drinking, there is also "Canadian" yogurt, produced in capsules. Such capsules need to be inserted vaginally, and this prevents not only the development of thrush, but also eliminates any vaginal infections. Yes, and simple yogurt is so successfully struggling with thrush, which is truly a "delicious medicine"! But it is worth making an important clarification!
Why this yogurt is called “Canadian” is completely incomprehensible, because it was developed by Ukrainian specialists. Yes, and it is produced mainly in the same place in Ukraine. Maybe this is such an advertising move to significantly increase the price of the product. Or maybe this is something incomprehensible, not vaginal yogurt. Only real "Canadian" yogurt can be purchased exclusively in pharmacies, and not through the Internet or from your hands!
The harm of yogurt during pregnancy
Everything related to the harm of yogurt during pregnancy, and not only in this most interesting situation, applies to store and expired products. If yogurt is prepared at home from those lactobacilli that are bought in pharmacies, then there simply cannot be any harm.
What is the main harm of store yogurt? In the abundance of colors, flavors, various flavors, thickeners and preservatives. All this is such chemistry that even the periodic table before such a set is just resting!
And why should the expectant mother shove this table in at almost full strength? So you should not buy into the words written on the packaging "All-natural product." Well, natural yogurt cannot stand for weeks on supermarket shelves!
If this is really natural yogurt, without a “chemical kit”, then its maximum shelf life does not exceed a week! Later, from a useful product, it turns into a "time bomb", which can jerk in the intestines in a few days a severe disorder. Or cause allergies, which can never happen with fresh and natural yogurt. Yogurt is not a cup of tea for you. Be carefull!
The most useful yogurt during pregnancy
In order for every future mom to feel comfortable and confident, yogurt is best cooked exclusively at home. Today, there are all conditions for this! Bacteria are sold in pharmacies, preparation methods are full on the Internet.
There is a special equipment that allows every day to receive a fresh and useful product in every respect without much effort. Yes, and different fruits, vegetables, other additives, any pregnant woman can add there on your own!
Nutrition during pregnancy is a very important component of the future health of the baby. Yogurt is good for both mother and child, but only if it is the “right” yogurt! Cooked at home from fresh and proven products! That's when he will be of great benefit to both mother and unborn baby.
The benefits of yogurt for pregnant
There are a lot of useful properties:
- The high amount of lactobacilli in the product contributes to the improvement of digestion, the restoration of microflora, thanks to beneficial microorganisms included in yoghurt.
- Regular yoghurt consumption cleanses the body of toxins, protects against the negative influence of the environment. In addition, it accelerates the absorption of vitamins.
- Living cultures in it reduce the risk of vaginal disease in women. This can be attributed, and thrush, which often appears in pregnant women.
- The inclusion of yogurt in the diet allows boost immunity, which is important during pregnancy, when the body is under tremendous pressure and is susceptible to infections and diseases.
- For those who suffer from indigestion, yogurt is indicated because it can restore intestinal microflora and normalize the gastrointestinal tract. Constantly eating it, you can get rid of the problem of constipation in pregnant women for a long time.
- If we talk about the digestibility of the product, it is the leader among fermented milk products.
- It can even be consumed by allergies, and especially pregnant women need yogurt. In the composition of useful delicacies are present protein and calciumwho take part in the formation of the infant's bone system, as well as support the health of the future mother.
How to choose a quality product
If we talk about the fat content of yogurt, it is necessary avoid low-fat options its production, as conducted by Danish scientists have found that low-fat yogurt can adversely affect the health of the baby, increasing the likelihood of developing asthma and hay fever.
It is also important to carefully look at the shelf life of the product. It should be noted that the term "live" yogurt do not exceed a week. If there is a date that exceeds this period, you should refuse to purchase the product.
The number of flavors, colors and flavor enhancers should be a minimum. There is also no point in buying a product that contains various fruits, since they have been so processed that they have no useful properties left.
The best option would be yogurt, cooked at home on the basis of high-quality yeast, which can be purchased at the pharmacy, and in most grocery stores. This product will definitely not contain harmful preservatives. Its benefits will be comparatively more, and the money spent on milk and sourdough will pay off with interest.
Cooking the product yourself
The benefits of yogurt during pregnancy can not be overestimated, especially if it is prepared by yourself. It is worth remembering that it is best to cook yogurt in the evening, even better at night.
For the preparation of finished products must be stocked up with two liters of milk (available in the store or on the market). Then boil it and cool to a warm state. The procedure is necessary for the sterility of milk. Pasteurized milk can not be boiled, but simply heated. Sour-milk culture develops well only in a sterile environment.
Now pour the contents of the leaven into it and carefully stir the composition. Work can be performed in a saucepan or any other convenient container, preferably enameled, with a lid.
The pot should be tightly covered with a lid and put in a warm place. This may be a table near the battery. An alternative would be wrapping the pan with the contents of several layers of towels. Wrapped capacity is up in the morning.
The result will be a liquid drinking yogurt, which can add fruit, honey, nuts or dried fruits. Such a breakfast for a pregnant woman should become a tradition and a mandatory rule. At will, the ingredients can be varied, each time getting a completely new taste. Thus, yogurt does not get tired soon.
For a thick yogurt, a liter of milk is enough for one package of leaven.
You can keep a treat for no more than 5-7 days, and for preparing a new batch, you do not need to buy leaven. You only need to leave half a glass of yogurt, which pour in warm milk, instead of yeast.
An alternative to a conventional saucepan can be a yogurt maker, in which milk is poured with sourdough and plugged into an outlet. In the morning the product is ready for use.
The advantages of such a product are that it does not contain both harmful components and boiled fruits that do not benefit the pregnant woman.
When buying a starter, you should pay attention to its packaging, where the list of useful microorganisms should be indicated. The greater the number, the better. It is necessary to abandon raw materials on which nothing is indicated.
It is not advisable to use yogurt for pregnant women suffering from stomach diseases at the stage of exacerbation or inflammation.
Low-fat yogurt should not be the basis of the diet. Since the fats that make up ordinary yogurt are necessary for the proper formation of the fruit. Therefore, buying or making a product with a high percentage of fat, you should not worry, its rapid digestibility will not allow fat to be deposited in the form of extra pounds.
How to use
Many mommies wonder if yogurt can be consumed during pregnancy. Most doctors agree that this product is very important and useful in the diet of every woman carrying a child. And there are many ways to use it. You just need to choose what you like.
- The natural taste of yoghurt is sour and can be added as a salad dressing.
- Some mommies replace sour cream with them, as it makes an excellent tandem, both with meat dishes and vegetables.
- Sweet tooths add a bit of jam or sugar to the serving. Get a delicious dessert.
- And yogurt successfully replaces butter creams in cakes and pastries. Thus, you can get a healthy dish that will not leave indifferent any mommy, and besides, it will be a low-calorie delicacy.
Returning to the above, it is important to note that yogurt during pregnancy is useful provided that it is of high quality and fresh.
What benefits brings
Consider the proven beneficial qualities of yogurt.
- Strengthens immunity. This is the main reason why the expectant mother should consume the lactic acid product. Bacteria of this dessert stimulate the body's fight against various viruses and parasites and promote the work of white blood cells.
- It has a positive effect on the intestines. The lactobacilli that make up this product help the intestines function properly. Plus, lactobacilli increase contractions of the intestinal walls, stimulate the growth of beneficial microorganisms in the intestines, reduce the likelihood of bile transformation into bile acids. And the potassium contained in yogurt reduces the risk of developing oncology.
- Promotes cleansing of the body. The living components of the product block nitrates and nitrites and then reject them from the body.
- Helps the body to better absorb vitamins. Beneficially affecting the work of the intestines, the product helps the body to quickly and effectively absorb all the important substances.
- Effectively fights thrush. Pregnant women often suffer from candidiasis. Regular consumption of lactic acid treats reduces the concentration of harmful bacteria in the vagina, thereby reducing the risk of developing vaginal infections.
- It is a source of protein. Yogurt is enriched with protein, which is very useful for the future mother: 500 ml of the product contains about 20-28 g of protein.
- Helps lower cholesterol levels. The bacteria that make up the product are great assistants in burning unwanted fats.
- The stomach digests yogurt faster and easier than other lactic acid products. Even in the presence of an allergic reaction to milk do not rush to abandon this dessert. It is known that the cause of poor digestibility of dairy products is casein. It is this complex protein that causes allergies in humans. However, the composition of yogurt contains bacterial biocatalysts that can digest casein.
What could be the harm
Here are some disturbing facts about yogurt that can adversely affect health during pregnancy:
- The presence of chemicals in the dessert, allowing the manufacturer to extend the shelf life. These substances prevent the fermentation of fruit supplements and lactic acid bacteria.
- Slices of fruit, berries, or fruit juices in a delicacy do not really contain anything but fiber. The manufacturer completely boils down these beneficial additives (exposes radioactive radiation), and the fruit juice is pasteurized. Due to such manipulations, tasty supplements sometimes do not deteriorate for more than six months.
- Unfortunately, various additives, flavors, dyes and stabilizers are involved in the production of most yoghurts, which improve the taste and attractiveness of the product.
- Most yogurt labels have a powerful preservative E1442 (these are molecules derived from genetically modified corn starch. Use of this dangerous substance in large quantities can lead to pancreatic necrosis (pancreatic disease).
- The manufacture of many yoghurts does not do without the preservative E331 (sodium citrate), which increases the acidity of the mouth and stomach.
- Packaging made of polystyrene (ps) carries a potential health hazard. When the temperature rises, this material may release toxic compounds.
How to choose when buying
Give preference to polypropylene cups. This material is completely safe. You can find out what material the packaging is made by marking on its bottom.
Regarding the fat content of the product, try to avoid low-fat options. Ensure that the product is made from pasteurized milk. There is no point in acquiring a delicacy containing fruits and berries. As noted above, in such products there is nothing useful.
The amount of preservatives, thickeners, flavors, colorants, flavor enhancers and other chemicals should be minimal.
Also carefully study the shelf life of the product. The smaller the shelf life of the product, the greater the chance that it will be useful. For a natural product, the period should not exceed 7–8 days. Once again, we note that the expired goods must be abandoned.
Regarding the use of yogurt by women in the position of special precautions does not exist. The only advice is that store-based desserts should not become the basis of the future mother's food. If a pregnant woman is not enthusiastic about this delicacy, you should not be too zealous and absorb the useful product through force. Listen to your body!
When used rarely, sweet fatty yogurts pose no danger. If you are a sweet tooth, you can sometimes treat yourself to a glass of an adorable dessert.
How to make at home: a step by step recipe
The real health benefits of pregnant women are yoghurt, cooked on its own, based on leaven. Such a delicacy will definitely not contain harmful additives. For the preparation of homemade dairy product stock up on 2 liters of milk and one package of high-quality yeast. Milk can take store or bought on the market. Sourdough is sold in most food stores. When choosing a starter, pay attention to the composition of the product. The list on the package should contain as many useful components as possible.
To neutralize the disease causing microbes, raw milk needs boil in the enameled container. Then leave it to cool slightly. Pasteurized milk can simply be heated, it is not necessary to boil it. Next, add a leaven to the pan with warm milk and mix the mass thoroughly. Tightly cover the container with a lid, wrap a warm blanket and transfer to a warm place. It is advisable to prepare the drink in the evening or at night. Wrapped pan should stand until the morning. In the end, you get a liquid dairy product. Если же вы предпочитаете густые десерты, тогда для одного пакетика закваски достаточно 1 литра молока.
Можете добавлять в готовый продукт свежие фрукты, ягоды, сухофрукты, варенье, мёд.
Homemade yogurt can be kept no longer than 5-7 days. For harvesting a new portion, it is not necessary to acquire the leaven again. Just leave a little homemade dessert (half a glass) and pour it instead of sourdough in warm milk.
Thus, it is safe to conclude that yogurt is one of the most important products that support the health of the future mother and her child. It is only necessary to comply with the recommendations on the choice of quality yogurt. The benefits of yogurt due to the presence of calcium, lactic acid bacteria and fatty acids needed by a woman during pregnancy.
Useful properties of the product
Natural yogurt is easily digested. Fermented milk bacteria in the product normalize the digestive process. B vitamins help to strengthen the immune system, neutralize the activity of pathogenic intestinal microflora, help to eliminate constipation and inflammation in the body. Calcium increases bone strength, strengthens hair and nails. A deficiency of this substance can lead to the development of osteoporosis, intense hair loss, the appearance of caries, deterioration of the skin, which begins to peel off and become dry.
With a lack of calcium in late pregnancy increases the risk of rickets in the unborn baby.
Yogurt cleanses the body of harmful toxins, helps protect the body from the harmful effects of negative environmental factors.
Important! Pregnant women should prefer live yogurt, fermented independently at home. The finished product is allowed to enrich fruit juices, fruit or berries. For the preparation of natural yogurt, you must purchase a special starter in the pharmacy. The product can simply be left in a warm place for fermentation. There are also special yogurt makers designed to make delicious delicacies at home. The natural product, as a rule, is stored not for long: approximately five days. To improve the taste, it is allowed to add a small amount of honey to the finished product.
Natural yogurt helps with constipation, which often occurs in the last trimester, flatulence and bloating. The product is especially useful in multiple pregnancies, because the body of a woman who is expecting twins or triplets, especially needs nutrients.
Ways to use the product in food
Natural yogurt has a sour taste. Therefore, the product is great as a dressing for cold soups or salads. Many of the fair sex are replacing yogurt sour cream. The product is ideally combined with vegetable and meat dishes. You can add yogurt to strawberry mousse or fruit salads, the result is a gentle, delicious dessert.
On the basis of a healthy product, you can make delicious light cakes. In this case, replace the yogurt fatty oily cream. The product is also suitable for preparing jelly and other desserts with a minimum shelf life.
Homemade Yogurt Face Masks
To prepare the mask, you should use natural yogurt, which does not contain dyes or preservatives. Niacin is present in the product, which protects the skin from the negative influence of environmental factors. This substance helps to normalize metabolic processes in the body, prevents the aging process. Choline present in the product eliminates irritation on the skin, improves the condition of the sebaceous glands. Calcium makes the skin soft and smooth. Vitamins A and C strengthen cell walls. These substances have a tonic effect, stimulate the production of collagen of natural origin.
Masks made on the basis of yogurt help preserve the natural beauty of the fair sex. They are forbidden to do in the presence of scratches and other open wounds on the face.
Mask based on yogurt and honey has anti-inflammatory, moisturizing and nourishing properties. It gives the face a beautiful, even shade.
For the preparation of a cosmetic composition requires the following components:
- 10 g natural yogurt,
- 1 tsp. flower honey
- small amount of wheat flour.
Cosmetic is prepared as follows:
- You need to mix the right amount of yogurt and honey.
- Then you need to pour a little wheat flour to obtain the consistency of liquid sour cream.
- All of these ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
Means should be applied to the pre-moistened skin. The duration of the procedure should not exceed 20 minutes. The mask should be washed off with plenty of clean, slightly cooled water.
A pregnant woman is recommended to abandon low-fat yogurt throughout the entire period of carrying the baby. You should exclude from your diet products that contain various additives. Fruits present in yoghurt often undergo prolonged heat treatment. As a result, there is almost no fiber and other nutrients in them. Fruit juice is pasteurized before being added to yogurt. To prevent the process of fermentation of fruit additives in the product is often added chemical compounds that cause harm to the body of a pregnant woman.
Cups, which are made of polystyrene, with an increase in the recommended storage temperature may produce toxic substances. Packages made of polypropylene, which also put ready-made yogurt, are safer in this regard.
Important! It is believed that with the frequent use of low-fat yogurt by the mother increases the likelihood of asthma in the future baby. Moreover, the symptoms of the disease can occur only after a few years. This unexpected assumption is based on the results of experimental data: the prolonged absence of lactic acid in the body increases the vulnerability of the immune system of the fetus.
Yogurt is contraindicated for women suffering from an ulcer or gastritis with high acidity.
Yogurt is a product without which no list of healthy food for future moms can do. Its main value in the presence of beneficial bacteria - probiotics.
informationSince it is based on milk, all the beneficial substances inherent in milk are stored in yogurt: calcium, protein, vitamin complexes and special compounds that strengthen the immune system.
Benefit Yogurt for the body of a pregnant woman is as follows:
- probiotics inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria. Doctors recommend to use yogurt with ulcers, urinary tract infections, fungal vaginal infections. Pregnant women should minimize the use of drugs, a great analogue to them can be just yogurt,
- antibiotics destroy the intestinal microflora, probiotics contribute to its recovery,
- bacteria feed on lactose. Yogurt will not cause allergic reactions or rejection, like milk,
- special compounds in yogurt have a positive effect on joints and bones, strengthen the immune system,
- zinc content, which helps cleanse the skin of inflammation,
- lactobacilli normalize intestinal functioning,
- yogurt helps stabilize digestive function and get rid of constipationthat haunt virtually all pregnant women in the first trimester,
- Yogurt helps lower cholesterol and helps the heart muscle to function properly.
- There is a yogurt capsules, it must be used strictly as directed by the doctor.
importantVery often, pregnant women complain that they cannot get rid of thrush for a long time. Regular use of yogurt will prevent the growth of fungi and eliminate unpleasant sensations without medications.
Selection and use of yogurt
When consuming yoghurt, you should observe daily doses in order not to overdo it. If you prefer store yogurt, fear the following points:
- do not buy yogurts in which long shelf life. Beneficial bacteria are not there, but the presence of preservatives is almost guaranteed. Special dangerous yogurts with fruit pieces. Unscrupulous manufacturers process fruits by radiation sterilization to prolong their shelf life,
- at improper storage beneficial bacteria turn into enemies.
The benefits of yogurt is really great. But the ideal option is to make it at home. The only way you can be sure that there are no harmful substances. Buy leaven and add to warm milk is not at all difficult, but you get a high-quality and healthy product.
Yogurt during pregnancy should be consumed in small doses, it is necessary for frequent constipation, flatulence, flatulence. A daily diet with yogurt will help with anemia, toxemia and poor weight gain. The product is recommended for multiple pregnancies in order to increase the intake of nutrients.
Limit the reception of the composition with increased secretion of the stomach, gastritis or ulcers in the process of exacerbation. It is believed that the dessert must be fat, otherwise the risk of developing bronchial asthma and allergies in a child increases. You should not choose a product with flavors, as there are chemicals in it.
What yogurts can be pregnant:
- from natural milk,
- without fruit and flavors,
- Greek view
Purchased yogurt for pregnant women can be dangerous, it is better to make it yourself. If this is not possible, you need to pay attention to its characteristics. The product should have a minimum shelf life, without fruit, in which bacteria develop. Natural, living product at home can be enriched with berries and fruits from its own reserves, add fresh juice.
Prepare a dessert of yoghurt starter, which is sold in a pharmacy. For this you need to prepare products and containers. Milk buy with a short shelf life, you can use a home product.
The process of making yogurt without additives:
- a liter of milk is put on the fire and brought to a boil,
- 150 g of liquid are poured into a mug, ferment is added, stirred,
- The resulting mixture is poured into cooking containers.
A container with a product is put in a yogurt maker or a slow cooker. It is enough to choose a program and leave it until cooking. It takes 10-12 hours. Store yogurt no more than five days. Add juice and berries before drinking.
Pregnant women are allowed to yogurt salads and cold soups. They are replaced by sour cream, as the dessert goes well with vegetables, meat. At dinner, it is recommended to make fruit salads, mousses and desserts with the addition of the product.
Allowed to add honey, jam in small quantities, so as not to cause an allergic reaction. When you want sweet, a light cake with yogurt will be a great alternative to jelly, butter cream.
Homemade yogurt or the correct choice of the finished composition will help support the body, saturate it with lactic acid bacteria, fatty acids and calcium. A limited quantity of sweet and delicate dishes is a great way to pamper yourself with a glass of delicious dessert.
Yogurt has a beneficial effect on the intestines.
Yogurt that contains lactobacillusthat contribute to proper operation intestines, improves peristalsis and reduces the risk of colon cancer.
In addition, lactobacilli promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in the intestines and reduce the risk of converting bile to bile acids. And calcium, which is also part of yogurt, reduces the likelihood of cancer.
Yogurt against cholesterol.
Based on the results of numerous studies, yogurt helps to reduce cholesterol. The living ingredients of yogurt are the perfect helpers in splitting fat. And they do not need a future mom. That is why yogurt is the most necessary product to maintain. health pregnant woman and her future baby.