Benefits and harms of coconut milk for the body
The well-known coconut milk is an integral, and often the main component of Asian dishes. The nut is the fruit of the palm tree, and the milk is crushed ripe pulp, and not at all the liquid drained from it. The taste of coconut milk and its consistency are directly dependent on the number of spin. Pleasant sweet taste and delicate aroma is the product of the first spin.
Chemical composition, harm and benefits of coconut milk
Coconut milk is not just an incredibly tasty product, it is a very useful delicacy. So, it includes a rich vitamin and mineral complex. Coconut is replete with vitamins of group B, C, E, PP, K, such elements as zinc, selenium, iron, potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and manganese, amino acids and valuable fatty acids.
Nutritionists include coconut nut in the low-calorie diet menu, since sugar in fruits is represented by fructose. Dishes with coconut milk are very popular. The composition of coconut milk contains no more than 5% of plant proteins, and there are also easily digestible fats by the human body. This allows you to use the product with intolerance to animal components.
The health effects of coconut milk
The harm and benefits of coconut milk is a frequent topic of discussion among scientists. The extract obtained from the southern nuts, has the following actions:
- strengthens the immune system
- heals wounds and abrasions,
- helps to get rid of worms and other parasites,
- fights viruses and germs
- normalizes the gastrointestinal tract,
- is the prevention of diseases of the digestive system,
- improves the condition of hair and skin
- softens peptic ulcer disease,
- strengthens the musculoskeletal system
- strengthens teeth
- is a stimulator of active brain activity
- increases concentration,
- strengthens the nervous system
- promotes hemoglobin,
- reduces the amount of cholesterol and blood sugar,
- stabilizes impaired hormones,
- is the prevention of cancer,
- improves the condition of patients with diseases of the respiratory system.
Southern coconut milk has a tonic effect. A natural product will fill a person’s body after a hard day with strength, relieve fatigue, relieve depression and help restore good health.
Also, coconut milk, reviews of which, by the way, are also available from doctors, especially positive ones, are recommended to be used during rehabilitation after undergoing a course of radiation and chemotherapy, after prolonged use of antibiotics. It normalizes the work of the intestines, leading to its normal microflora.
It should be noted that the heat treatment of coconut milk does not deprive of its high nutritional properties. For this quality in Europe, a valuable product called "tropical cream".
Harm coconut milk
Despite their remarkable properties, coconut milk can sometimes be harmful. It can cause allergic reactions. In this case, its use in food is strictly contraindicated. Also, according to experts, people with individual fructose intolerance should limit or even exclude the use of palm nuts.
The harm and benefits of coconut milk is a topic that concerns many. Eating a large amount of it can lead to negative reactions on the part of the digestive system. So, nausea, diarrhea and dizziness are possible. In some cases, people have increased blood pressure, lost heart rate, impaired blood supply to the organs.
Especially carefully it is necessary to treat canned milk. The natural product should contain only coconut component and water. Milk with lots of preservatives will be of little benefit. An expired product is also not allowed to be eaten.
Cooking Coconut Milk and Chips
Now we will look at how to make coconut milk at home. Fresh walnut can be found at almost every grocery store. The resulting product is widely used in cooking for soups and cocktails. You can also make an excellent dessert from milk.
When choosing a coconut, it is recommended to pay attention to the sound that it makes during shaking. Inside the quality nut should splash liquid.
First, punch a hole in the coconut shell. To do this, select the desired "eye". The liquid needs to be poured, and only then to split the shell. After the peel is cleaned, we get the white fragrant pulp, which we will need to make milk. Pulp rubbed on a medium grater. We put it in a container and fill it with boiling water. Water needs to be taken in such a quantity that it covers a bit of mass. After half an hour, squeeze a grated nut with gauze. The resulting liquid is the most valuable coconut milk, which can be stored in the refrigerator for a day.
Shavings remaining after the spinning must be laid out on the oven pan. Dry until ready - for half an hour. From one coconut, as a rule, it turns out a glass of milk and about two glasses of chips.
Popular Recipes with Coconut Milk
Foods made using coconut milk have an unrivaled aroma and amazing taste. The product even will give to the most usual dish juicy aroma and tenderness. The harm and benefits of coconut milk were considered by us earlier. And now we give a few recipes.
Chicken Baked in Coconut Milk
To prepare this dish we need the following ingredients:
chicken legs - 4 pcs.,
coconut milk - 2 glasses,
onions - 2 heads,
vegetable oil - 1 tablespoon,
lemon juice - 1 tablespoon,
garlic - 2 cloves,
salt - 1 tsp,
Preheat oven to 200 ° C. Chicken legs thoroughly wash and dry. Cut them, separating the lower leg from the thigh. Mix lemon juice with chopped garlic, cumin, black pepper, fennel, coriander and cinnamon. Rub the meat with the mixture and leave for half an hour. Finely chop the onion and fry it until golden brown. We add to it chicken legs and fry until complete readiness. In the baking dish, fold the meat and fill it with coconut milk. Put the dish in the oven for 30 minutes. You can also always make a dessert from milk.
Shrimp in coconut milk
To cook this fragrant and tasty dish, you will need:
coconut milk - 2 glasses,
onions - 2 heads,
olive oil - 2 tablespoons,
Peel the bulbs and cut them into rings. Fry them in a pan in olive oil. Cut the tomatoes into small cubes and add to the onions. Stew for 15 minutes.
We combine coconut milk with turmeric, pepper and saffron. Put the shrimp in the vegetable mixture. Salt to taste and pour coconut milk. Ingredients are stewed with the lid closed for no more than 15 minutes. Can be served on the table. Enjoy your meal!
There are also other recipes. With coconut milk you can cook a wide variety of dishes.
Milk contains omega-3 fatty acids, 6 and 9, poly-and monosaccharides, ash, amino acids, enzymes, fatty oils, dietary fiber (including fiber).
The product is rich in organic acids such as lauric and capric. The composition has choline, tocopherol, ascorbic acid, niacin (vitamin PP), riboflavin, pyridoxine, thiamine, folic acid, pantothenic acid, a group of vitamins K.
From micro-and macroelements should be distinguished calcium, magnesium, copper, selenium, zinc, phosphorus, manganese, potassium, iron.
In coconut milk, sugar is presented in the form of natural fructose, so it makes sense to include a drink in the diet of people who are losing weight. In 100 ml. composition accumulates 163 Kcal. The product is not deposited in the forbidden places, because it is quickly absorbed by the blood and spreads throughout the body.
100 gr. coconut milk accumulates 14.7 grams. fat, 3.9 gr. squirrel, 3 gr. carbohydrates. Easily digestible fats and vegetable protein can saturate the body with 20% of the daily requirement of these substances.
Coconut Milk Benefits
- The incoming dietary fiber, in particular fiber, ensures fast digestion of food. Substances are responsible for the activity of the intestine, improving its microflora and stabilizing work. Systematic reception of milk provides not partial, but full assimilation of valuable substances.
- Coconut milk frees the internal organs from harmful decay products. The drink helps the liver to work properly, filling the holes in its structure. The product normalizes metabolic processes, helping to lose weight.
Benefits for pregnant and lactating women
- The future mother should take care that the necessary mineral compounds, fiber, organic acids and vitamins are supplied to her body. If the girl is not allergic to milk, drinking the drink will only benefit.
- Coconut pulp has a mild diuretic and choleretic effect. Drink removes excess salt and water from the body, thereby eliminating the swelling of limbs and tissues of internal organs.
- The product affects the formation of the nervous system and the skeleton of the child, is responsible for the prevention of congenital malformations. Milk stabilizes the hormonal background of a pregnant girl, strengthens her joints and bones.
- It is known that during the carrying of the fetus, the future mother often suffers from heartburn and constipation. Milk envelops the stomach walls, removing unpleasant symptoms. Drink normalizes stools, cleansing the body from poisons and slags.
- During breastfeeding new mother should not abandon coconut milk. B-group vitamins, tocopherol and ascorbic acid have a positive effect on the quality of milk. You will also find it easier to recover from childbirth, as the likelihood of depression is reduced.
- Calcium and iron are responsible for the formation of the child. As a result, no child will develop anemia, the baby will develop in accordance with age.
- Despite all the benefits and virtually no contraindications of coconut milk, experts still do not recommend to use raw materials daily. It is enough to include the product in the diet, and take 2 times a week no more than 100 ml.
- This amount is needed for adults, pregnant and lactating women. As for children, look at the response of the body. If there is no allergy, raw materials may well replace animal milk.
- Keep in mind that only fresh composition will benefit, not canned. A safe period of entering coconut milk into the diet of children is considered to be at least 3 years old. For kids, it will be enough to consume no more than 70 ml per week.
Choosing Coconut Milk
- If you purchase a canned product in a supermarket, be sure to examine the composition indicated on the container. Quality raw materials should contain water and concentrated coconut milk.
- You should not purchase a product in which capacity the preservative E224 will be indicated. Such a carcinogen is dangerous to humans. The substance is added to inhibit the fermentation of the product in a preserved form.
- Choose coconut products like cow's milk. Pay attention to the date of manufacture and fat content of the composition. Such indicators determine the further use of raw materials.
Coconut milk is beneficial to the human body. The drink should be taken by pregnant girls to ensure full formation of the fetus. The composition has a positive effect on men, increasing the ability to conceive. Before use, it is necessary to exclude contraindications.
As a food product, coconut milk brings the greatest benefit to people suffering from cardiovascular pathologies. Fatty acids in its composition inhibit the vital activity of microorganisms that cause the deposition of atherosclerotic plaques on the arterial walls, which significantly reduces the risk of developing cardiac diseases. The abundance of potassium, in turn, normalizes blood pressure.
The role of coconut milk components to strengthen the immune system and get rid of chronic fatigue syndrome is difficult to overestimate. Lauric and capric acids in the human body are converted into compounds that can effectively fight bacteria, fungi and viruses. The product can be included in the diet while taking antibiotics, which enhances their action and speeds up the healing process.
For slimming and cleansing
Coconut milk, despite the abundance of lipid compounds in its composition, is best suited for diets whose purpose is to combat obesity. It is the lack of "healthy fats" that often serves as one of the reasons for the increase in body weight above the norm. Drink quickly fills even when consumed in small quantities and puts in order the work of brain receptors responsible for controlling appetite.
Normalization of the thyroid gland and cleansing the gastrointestinal tract from pathogenic microflora with the help of coconut milk has a beneficial effect on the state of metabolism and also contribute to weight loss. It is useful to use this product in the treatment of gastritis or ulcers.
Among vegetarians, it is considered to be vegetable types of milk a full-fledged replacement for ordinary ones. Of course, if you are lactose intolerant or are allergic to milk proteins, coconut drink can serve as a valuable source of calcium and phosphorus in the diet, and if you choose the right menu, you will not need to use cow or goat milk and products from it.
However, it is wrong to regard coconut milk as an analogue of cow milk: each of them is an independent food product. Their composition and nutritional qualities have significant differences, which do not allow us to say that to use one drink instead of another.
The use of coconut milk in cosmetology
The nutritional properties of coconut milk are widely used in cosmetology. It moisturizes, soothes and regenerates the skin, heals scratches, inhibits the development of infection and smoothes wrinkles.
Daily washing with coconut milk treats acne, cleanses and refreshes the skin, restores its elasticity and youth. The procedure helps to tighten the contours of the face and has a preventive effect on the "splitting" of its contour. For this purpose, the product can be used in pure form or mixed with lotion.
Massage of the scalp with coconut milk nourishes hair follicles with nutrients, accelerating the growth of the strands and providing a conditioning effect. It helps well in the treatment of dry and itchy skin, relieves dandruff and eliminates the unpleasant hair shine that occurs with increased secretion of the sebaceous glands.
The dangerous properties of coconut milk and contraindications
The exotic origin of the drink, oddly enough, does not make it dangerous for an unusual body and does not award an increased ability to cause allergies. On the contrary, it is well absorbed and belongs to the list of products that facilitate the manifestations of this disease, even in young children.
There are, of course, individual allergic reactions to coconut milk, in this case, its use is prohibited. The list of contraindications also includes fructose intolerance.
Coconut milk is introduced into the children's diet not earlier than 10-12 months and not too often used in the daily menu. On it, you can occasionally cook pancakes or cook porridge. Before the first application it is better to consult a pediatrician.
The trouble is that finding a fresh drink of decent quality in the northern latitudes is not an easy task. The use of toxic preservatives and stabilizers translates industrial coconut milk into the category of hazardous products that can cause serious harm to human health.
How to choose coconut milk
There are several rules to follow when choosing coconut milk for the family table:
- It is necessary to carefully study the composition of the product: there must be only water and concentrated coconut milk.
- A small shelf life also indirectly indicates the absence of preservatives or the use of them in small quantities.
- Pasteurized coconut milk does not harm the body, because its oils do not form trans fats when heated, but the shelf life of such a product can be increased.
The percentage of fat does not affect the properties of the drink in principle. Its fatter varieties are perfect for cooking Asian dishes, curries, soups and desserts. It is allowed, if desired, to dilute it with water three times or even four times.
Cooking coconut milk at home
Fresh coconut milk can be prepared at home. To do this, you need to chop the pulp of the fruit with a fine grater or blender. The resulting mass pour boiling water and leave to infuse for 30 minutes, and then squeeze the chips well. About 250 ml of milk and an incomplete glass of chips, suitable for use in cooking, are obtained from one ripe coconut.
Другой способ приготовления напитка заключается в использовании кокосовой стружки, чипсов или хлопьев хорошего качества, которые легко можно найти в магазинах здорового питания. Выбирать следует продукты без сахара и иных химических ингредиентов. Горсть хлопьев с небольшим количеством горячей воды обрабатывают с помощью блендера, дают настояться и процеживают.
Fresh drink must be stored at a temperature of 0-5 ° C no more than a day. It can be frozen, it will save the healing properties in the best possible way, and thaw the product optimally in a natural way by moving the dishes with coconut milk to the refrigerated compartment as needed.
Tip: If during storage in cold drink thickened too much, it can be heated in a water bath or placed in boiling water for 5-6 minutes, and then well stirred or shaken.
Coconut Milk Composition
The main share of the components in the composition of the drink falls on lipid substances - their concentration is extremely high. This feature of coconut milk does not harm the body and is not capable of causing negative consequences for the figure, since almost half of them are lauric acid.
The energy value of the product is 230 kcal. It is a significant source of fiber, potassium, and B vitamins, folic acid, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.
Nutritional value of coconut milk (per 100 g of product)
Coconut milk: benefits and healing qualities of the product
Coconut milk is distinguished by such positive effects on the body:
The inclusion of coconut elixir in the diet gives such beneficial effects for the body:
1. Normalization of the functioning of the digestive tract.
2. Prevention of diseases of the digestive system.
3. Strengthening and giving strength to bones, nails, teeth.
4. Improvement of brain activity and increased mental activity, increased concentration of attention.
5. Normalization of the nervous system, improving its functions.
6. Raising the level of hemoglobin in the blood.
7. Reduction of sugar and harmful cholesterol in the body.
8. Strengthening the heart muscle, adjusting the work of the cardiovascular system as a whole.
9. Increase the body's defenses to infectious and catarrhal diseases.
10. Alignment of hormonal background, elimination of problems with the thyroid gland.
11. Improving the state of the body with urological diseases, facilitating the course of diseases of the urogenital system.
12. Prevention of the formation of cancerous tumors.
13. Improving the protective properties of the respiratory system.
14. Toning the body, this property is especially important after training and physical exertion. Milk restores strength to the body, relieves fatigue and restores well-being.
The use of coconut milk, the benefits of the product for the body
Wonderful taste characteristics and aroma allow the product to be widely used in cooking. However, the potential of coconut milk does not end there. The drink is quite successfully used in cosmetology as a component ingredient of creams and masks for the face, balms and hair ointments. Solve the elixir is able to completely different problems with the appearance of the skin or hair, ranging from acne to healthy shine strands.
More effective coconut milk has in its pure form. Therefore, to ensure the beauty and youth do not need to mix it with other ingredients.
1. Skin benefits. It is enough just to replace lotions or gels for washing with a coconut drink, so that after a small amount of time you will notice significant improvements in the condition of the dermis. The skin will become elastic, taut, moderately moist and clean. You can see how the traces of fading, acne, inflammation, dryness, peeling, the first signs of aging skin will disappear. In addition, the natural elixir will protect the skin from harsh UV rays and will help to ensure that the tan is evenly covered. The consequences of an unsuccessful tan can also be eliminated with the help of a coconut drink.
2. Hair benefits. The use of milk instead of balms, conditioners, masks will help solve the problem of increased fat content of hair and scalp, dandruff, excessive oily shine. Also, the agent can inhibit hair loss processes, stimulate active growth and strengthen hair follicles. Suitable for all hair types and even for ultra-sensitive skin.
The main contraindications to the use of coconut milk, the harm of the product
Side effects from drinking coconut milk are extremely rare. This happens most often when a person has an individual incompatibility of the organism with certain components of the product.
It is also necessary to restrict consumption to people with fructose intolerance, with abuse there may be consequences in the form of a violation of stool, itching, skin rashes, dizziness.
The main harm the product brings only in cases where its shelf life is running out or the conditions for proper storage have not been met.
Caution should be applied to milk for pregnant women, consuming the product in small portions.
What is part of coconut milk?
Components necessary for the body, is in the composition of the drink. It has a high level of ability to supply the main organs and tissues. If you consume a small portion of tasty treats, you can soon feel the saturation. The composition of the aromatic and healthy treats has the following components:
- various vitamins: C, E, PP, K and B vitamins,
- essential organic acids
- main types of fatty acids
- fixed oils,
- monosaccharides and disaccharides,
- food enzymes and fibers,
- micro and macronutrients.
This option for drinking does not contain sugar, because it was replaced by fructose of natural origin. That is why calorie content is very low. 100 grams of the product contains only 160 kcal. This is an indispensable option for athletes who carefully monitor similar indicators.
This is a complete replacement of milk, which differs by animal origin. This is especially appreciated by people who suffer from allergies to the last of the drinks. Some components bring special benefits to the body:
- Milk contains coarse fibers that can positively affect the process of the intestines. As a result, digestion becomes better, so all hazardous components will be removed. Coarse fibers are perfectly digested by the body, so they will not become additional toxins. You will not feel discomfort and other unpleasant feelings.
- It is impossible not to note the effect of lauric acid. This substance enhances immunity. It begins the fight against viruses and infections, so that you will get sick much less often. Also, lauric acid kills harmful bacteria. Without this component it is impossible to do in the event that high-quality prevention of gastric diseases is needed. It copes even with the most dangerous bacteria, allowing you to protect your body.
- There are a lot of cytokines in milk. These components are necessary in order to kill cancer cells. With their help, the aging process of tissues slows down, so you will be reliably protected from such problems as blood clots. This is important for people who lead an active lifestyle.
- Useful vitamins have a positive effect on well-being, eliminating constant fatigue. You will feel a charge of vitality and strength, which is so necessary for stable workouts. Now, exercise will not bring problems.
- Manganese is a substance that makes it possible to normalize blood sugar levels. The composition of the drink, as mentioned earlier, is not sugar, so it can be consumed even by diabetics.
- Phosphates that are present in milk provide an opportunity to strengthen bone tissue. As a result, the human skeleton is distinguished by a solid and reliable structure, which is especially important at elevated levels of stress. You can safely do heavy exercises without feeling discomfort.
- In the juice there is magnesium, which calms the nervous system. Hyperactivity will be effectively eliminated. With an unsurpassed drink, you can cope with insomnia, depression, and stress. You will feel calm and balanced.
This milk is used in cosmetology. This is an effective tool for the face and hair that brings great results. Its regular use makes it possible to eliminate all kinds of problems and defects.
Where can coconut milk be used?
It is worth knowing how to take a drink in order to get the maximum benefit and pleasure from its use. So, this ingredient can be used for the following purposes:
- You can add it to all sorts of cocktails that will be very tasty,
- drink perfectly combines with fresh fruit. You can sweeten it with stevia and agave syrup. Serve a delicacy of ice cubes to refresh you and your friends after a workout,
- The use of this ingredient is also available as a cream. Place a container of drink the night before in the refrigerator, and the next morning - whisk it in the mixer bowl. This option is not only extremely tasty and low-calorie, but also the most useful,
- If you are cooking cream soup, coconut milk will become an excellent substitute for sour cream. With this option, you can cook a dish with an original and unique taste,
- if you like seafood, milk extracted from coconut will be their successful complement. Shrimps acquire an exquisite and savory flavor, which can not be ignored,
- It is also interesting that the product can be the basis for the preparation of all familiar mashed potatoes. Just add it to the potato to get a brand new dish,
- milk can be added to pastries. This is a diet option, because the coconut drink has very few calories,
- Athletes often eat oatmeal. Coconut milk can drastically change the taste of a familiar dish for the better, as the masterpiece will be appetizing and fragrant.
These are the main points that concern such a product. With it, you can reconsider your views on the usual milk, because it is the most delicious and healthy. Try adding it to your diet to feel the change after a few weeks!
P .S.Subscribe to update blog, not to miss anything! If you want to buy any sporting goods, sports nutrition or supplements - you can use this special page!
Coconut Milk Secrets
In our article we will look at what coconut milk is, the benefits and harms to the body of this drink, as well as a lot of other useful information. Coconut milk is made from the pulp of this exotic product. Surprisingly, no expensive equipment is needed, and the manufacturing process itself cannot be called high-tech.
The pulp is scraped from ripe coconuts, then it is poured with filtered water and sent under a press. Through the action of pressure and the formation of a milky liquid having a sweetish taste.
On a note! Coconut milk is a product of plant origin, which has a rich component composition, a terrific taste and has a number of beneficial properties for the human body.
Some people consider milk and coconut juice to be identical drinks. The benefits and harms of the latter will be similar to milk, only these are different drinks. Juice is a liquid contained within an exotic fruit, and milk is produced according to the technology described above.
The main exporters of coconut milk are Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia. There is an opinion that so many coconuts grow in these countries that everyone can enjoy the taste of fruit for free.
What is coconut drink?
In appearance, coconut milk is very similar to cow milk. It has a dense texture, reminiscent of liquid sour cream, white color and sweet taste. 100 g of coconut milk contains about 187 kilocalories. Somewhere 68 g falls on purified water. Also in the coconut drink is carbohydrates, protein and fats.
On a note! Note that 100 g of exotic fruit milk contains about 24 g of fat. The drink is nutritious and quite useful.
In addition, coconut milk is enriched with vitamins, micro-and macro elements, including:
- ascorbic acid
- amino acids
- Omega-3, 6 and 9,
- nicotinic acid
- vitamin K,
- Pantothenic acid
- folic acid
- copper and others
On a note! Due to this component composition, the use of coconut milk compensates for the deficiency of vitamins and minerals. Such a drink can be safely included in the diet.
Coconut milk: the benefits and harm how to take
It's time to talk about the beneficial properties of the drink, which is made from the pulp of exotic fruits. Using a little of this milk, you can cope with a depressive state, including seasonal. Experts say that coconut milk helps to strengthen the immune system, eliminate apathy and replenish vitamin reserves.
Many modern people complain of constant fatigue. To feel a surge of strength and energy, you need to drink some coconut milk.
The number of medicinal properties of coconut milk include:
- stimulation of brain activity
- normalization of the functioning of all internal organs,
- treatment of diseases of the urinary system,
- prevention of the development of cardiovascular diseases,
- elimination of helminthic invasions,
- promoting wound healing.
On this list of useful properties of coconut drink is not exhausted. Scientists believe that such a product is of particular value for young mothers. Coconut milk contains amino acids and lauric acid, which improve the composition of breast milk.
Accordingly, your baby will feel much better. The baby’s immune system will be strengthened. Coconut milk has antimicrobial and antiviral properties, which are essential for babies in the first months of life.
Coconut milk brings great benefits to the digestive tract. Asian experts are convinced that the use of this product is an excellent prevention of cancer diseases and diabetes.
Also among the useful properties of a tropical drink should include the following:
- prevention of diseases of the respiratory system,
- normalization of hemoglobin level
- strengthening the nervous system
- stabilization of blood glucose levels
- Improving the well-being of ailments of the digestive tract organs,
- strengthening bone and teeth
- normalization of sleep
- strengthening the body as a whole,
- fight insomnia
- increase the elasticity of the vascular walls,
- heart muscle strengthening
- normalization of hormonal levels,
- relief in renal pathologies.
Experts advise to include coconut milk in the diet of people who are daily subjected to debilitating physical and mental stress. A very useful drink for athletes. The body will recover faster.
Eco-friendly and natural coconut milk in our country can not be found everywhere. Powdered coconut milk is very popular; its benefits and harms will be similar to canned or fresh drink.
On a note! You can make your own coconut milk at home. It is just necessary to fill the dry component with hot water in the same proportions and boil a little over minimal heat. Please note that this drink should be consumed for a couple of days or stored in a freezer.
So, we found out that coconut milk is so valuable to others. The benefits and harm to the child of such a product have also been studied by scientists. You can enter it into the diet of your crumb, but with great care. It is advisable to first consult with a specialist.
As already mentioned, in the eastern cuisine there are many dishes that add coconut milk. This product perfectly harmonizes to taste with vegetables, first courses, fish, poultry and meat.
Coconut milk is also famous in the cosmetology field. So, this drink has moisturizing and protective properties, so it can be used to wipe the skin of the face. You can even replace your tonic or makeup remover with such a natural product. You'll see, the color of the skin will noticeably improve, and there will be no sign of fatigue.
Also, the milk of an exotic fruit is often added to tanning products. Coconut milk will minimize the harmful effects of ultraviolet rays, your skin will become moisturized and rich in vitamins, micro and macronutrients, minerals.
Coconut milk brings great benefits to our hair. Many of the beautiful half of humanity dream of luxurious curls and thick head of hair. With the help of coconut milk the structure of the hair will improve, they will become stronger and more elastic. Your curls will radiate a healthy sheen and strength.
Is there any harm?
Despite the fact that coconut milk is a product of plant origin, it is not recommended to drink it every day, and not everyone is shown this drink to be consumed.
Если вы впервые решили отведать кокосовое молоко, выпейте небольшую порцию и внимательно проследите за реакцией своего организма. Крайне редко, но молоко экзотического плода может спровоцировать развитие аллергической реакции.
Ежедневно употреблять кокосовый напиток категорически противопоказано. В неделю разрешается пить от 250 до 500 мл.
А вот детишкам, не достигшим трехлетнего возраста, этот продукт вообще нежелательно давать. В подростковом возрасте напиток можно смело употреблять. Начинать следует с небольших порций – 50-75 мл.
On a note! Absolute contraindication to the use of coconut milk is considered fructose intolerance. Be sure to consider this, otherwise complicated consequences may develop.
Now you know about coconut milk almost everything. Yes, the benefits of such a drink are much greater than the possible harm. And if you take into account all the nuances, then the milk will only benefit your body. As for the use of coconut milk for cosmetic purposes, it is better to first test for an allergic reaction from the skin. Delicious Thai soups and sauces for fish fillets, seafood, meat and poultry are made from this milk. Be healthy!
What is coconut milk?
Coconut milk is produced artificially from the white flesh of ripe coconuts, which are fruits of the coconut tree. Milk has a thick texture and rich creamy texture. Thai and other Southeast Asian dishes usually include this milk. It is also popular in Hawaii, India and some countries in South America and the Caribbean.
Coconut milk should not be confused with coconut water, which is naturally found in unripe green coconuts.
Unlike coconut water, milk does not appear naturally in coconut. Hard pulp is mixed with water, as a result, they get coconut milk, which is 50% water.
Coconut water (juice), in turn, consists of about 94% water. It contains much less fat and less nutrients than coconut milk.
Coconut milk is made from the pulp of ripe coconut and water. It is used in many traditional cuisines around the world.
How is coconut milk made?
Coconut milk is classified as thick or liquid, depending on the consistency and degree of its processing.
- Thick: Solid coconut pulp finely rubbed and cooked over low heat. Then the mixture is filtered through cheesecloth to obtain thick coconut milk.
- Liquid: After cooking thick coconut milk, grated coconut remaining in gauze, boiled in water. Then the process of filtering is repeated to obtain liquid milk.
In traditional cuisine, thick coconut milk is used in desserts and thick sauces. Liquid milk is used in soups and liquid sauces.
Most canned coconut milk contains a combination of liquid and thick milk. To prepare this exotic drink at home is also quite easy, choosing the degree of density to your liking.
Coconut milk is produced by chopping the pulp of coconut, boiling it in water, and then filtering to obtain a milky-like consistency.
Nutritional value, composition and calorie content of coconut milk
This coconut drink is a high-calorie food. About 93% of its calories come from fat, including saturated fats, commonly known as medium chain triglycerides (STS).
Milk is also a good source of several vitamins and minerals. One cup (240 grams) contains (in% of the recommended daily intake) (1):
- Caloric content: 552 kcal (28%).
- Carbohydrates: 13.3 g (4%).
- Fat: 57.2 g (88%).
- Protein: 5.5 g (11%).
- Cellulose: 5.3 g (21%).
- Vitamin C: 6.7 g (11%).
- Thiamine: 0.1 mg (4%).
- Niacin: 1.8 mg (9%).
- Vitamin B6: 0.1 mg (4%).
- Folic acid: 38.4 mcg (10%).
- Pantothenic acid: 0.4 mg (4%).
- Calcium: 38.4 mg (4%).
- Iron: 3.9 mg (22%).
- Magnesium: 88.8 mg (22%).
- Phosphorus: 240 mg (24%)
- Potassium: 631 mg (18%).
- Zinc: 1.6 mg (11%).
- Copper: 0.6 mg (32%).
- Manganese: 2.2 mg (110%).
- Selenium: 14.9 mcg (21%).
- Omega-6 fatty acids: 626 mg.
Coconut milk also contains small amounts of such vitamins, minerals and nutrients as vitamin E, choline, sodium and phytosterols.
In addition, some experts believe that coconut milk contains unique proteins that can benefit human health. However, more research is needed to confirm these assumptions (2).
Coconut milk contains a large amount of calories and saturated fat called medium chain triglycerides. It also contains many other nutrients.
1. Effects on body weight and metabolism
There is some evidence that medium chain fatty acids (SCR) in coconut milk can help lose weight, improve body composition and metabolism. About half the fat in coconuts is a medium chain fatty acid called lauric acid.
Coconuts also contain small amounts of other medium chain fatty acids, including capric acid and caprylic acid. Unlike longer chain fats, STRs are sent from the digestive tract directly to the liver, where they are used to produce energy or ketone. Therefore, they are less likely to be stored as fat on the body (3).
Researchers also suggest that SCR can help reduce appetite and reduce calorie intake compared to other fats (4, 5, 6, 7).
In a small study, overweight people who consumed 20 grams of PTA for breakfast consumed 272 calories less for lunch than people who consumed corn oil (7).
Moreover, CCT in coconuts can increase calorie consumption and fat burning, at least temporarily (8, 9, 10).
Several controlled studies on people with obesity and people with cardiovascular diseases have shown that consuming coconut oil reduces body weight and reduces fat in the abdomen. Heart health markers also improved (11, 12, 13).
Although studies have not directly verified how coconut milk affects weight and metabolism, several studies show impressive effects from coconut oil and SCR.
Hence the conclusion that coconut milk can produce the same effects because it contains the same fatty acids.
SCR in coconut milk can reduce appetite, improve metabolism and help you eliminate fat in the abdominal area.
2. Effects on cholesterol and heart health
Due to the fact that coconut milk contains a lot of saturated fat, people may wonder if it is good for heart health.
Very few studies specifically examine coconut milk, but one study suggests that drinking it can benefit people with normal or high cholesterol.
This 8-week study, conducted with 60 men, showed that cereal with coconut milk lowered LDL cholesterol (“bad”) more than cereal with soy milk. Porridge in coconut milk also increased HDL cholesterol (“good”) by 18% compared to cereal in soy milk, which increased the level of “good” cholesterol by only 3% (14).
Most studies of coconut oil or chips also showed improvements in levels of LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol and / or triglycerides (11, 12, 13, 15, 16).
Although in some studies, the level of LDL cholesterol increased in response to coconut fat, HDL also increased. The level of triglycerides also decreased compared with the use of other fats (17, 18).
Lauric acid (the main fatty acid in coconut fat) can increase the level of LDL cholesterol, reducing the activity of receptors that remove LDL from the blood (19).
The results of two studies show that the cholesterol response to lauric acid may vary from person to person. It may also depend on its quantity in the diet.
In one study involving healthy women, replacing 14% of monounsaturated fats with lauric acid, their LDL cholesterol levels increased by about 16%. In another study, replacing 4% monounsaturated fat with lauric acid had very little effect on cholesterol (19, 20).
In general, coconut and triglyceride levels are improved by consuming coconut. In cases where LDL cholesterol increases, HDL cholesterol usually also increases.
Other Potential Benefits of Coconut Milk
Coconut milk can also:
- Reduce inflammation: animal studies have shown that coconut extract and coconut oil reduce inflammation and swelling in wounded rats and mice (21, 22, 23).
- Reduce ulcer size: In one study, coconut milk reduced the size of gastric ulcer in rats by 54% - a result comparable to the effect of an anti-ulcer drug (24).
- Fight against viruses and bacteria: CTs in coconuts, especially lauric acid, reduce the levels of viruses and bacteria that cause infections. These also include those that are present in the oral cavity (25, 26, 27).
Coconut milk can reduce inflammation, reduce the size of stomach ulcers, and fight viruses and bacteria that cause infections.
Possible harm of coconut milk to the human body
So, what is harmful about coconut milk for human health?
If you are not allergic to coconuts, it is unlikely that you will experience adverse reactions when using coconut milk. Compared with allergies to nuts and peanuts, allergic reactions to coconut are relatively rare (28).
Nevertheless, some experts in digestive system diseases recommend that people with FODMAP intolerance (fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols) limit coconut milk intake to half a cup at a time.
Many canned coconut milk varieties also contain bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical that can be leached from cans for food. Studies in animals and humans have linked the effects of BPA with human reproductive system problems and cancer (29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34).
Fortunately, some brands use non-BPA packaging, which is recommended if you decide to consume canned coconut milk.
Coconut milk is probably safe for most people who are not allergic to coconuts. When using canned coconut milk, it is best to choose cans without BPA.
How to choose the best coconut milk
Here are some tips for choosing the best coconut milk:
- Read the label: Give preference to a product containing only coconut and water. Avoid questionable ingredients such as carrageenan.
- Choose non-BPA cans: buy coconut milk from companies that use bisphenol A (BPA) free cans.
- Use cardboard packaging: unsweetened coconut milk in cartons usually contains less fat and fewer calories than canned. Look for brands without carrageenan.
- Look for lighter coconut milk: it contains fewer calories and more liquid in its consistency - it contains about 125 calories per half cup (120 grams) (35).
- Cook by yourself: To get the freshest and healthiest coconut milk, make it yourself using a simple recipe (see below).
Coconut milk can be used in a variety of recipes. Avoid canned coconut milk containing questionable ingredients.