Yellow discharge from women from the vagina: the norm and pathology
A woman who monitors her health and records any changes usually knows what is normal for her. Transparent discharge homogeneous consistency, as a rule, are not considered a sign of deviation, as well as the yellow odorless discharge. In women, they can occur at different stages of the menstrual cycle. Such secretions are regular and do not cause discomfort, and their intensity depends on the phase of the cycle, the characteristics of the organism and the diseases suffered. Any changes disturbing should not be overlooked. In this case, it is better to visit a doctor to determine the cause of deviations.
- Causes of natural secretions
- Yellow discharge after abortion
- Yellowish discharge during pregnancy
- Yellow discharge in inflammatory diseases of the genital organs
- When do I need to see a doctor?
Causes of natural secretions
In the vaginal environment of a healthy woman, there are always beneficial bacteria. This prevents the penetration of internal bacteria and viruses into the internal organs of the urogenital system. As in other organs, a small number of fungal microorganisms are found in the vagina. The weak acid medium prevents them from multiplying. Protective mucus forms, natural vaginal discharge appears.
Usually mucus has a uniform composition and is transparent. Under the action of air, it acquires a yellowish tint. The intensity of the color may vary during the menstrual cycle, is individual for each woman.
Normal discharge, yellow and odorless, does not cause irritation of the mucous membrane of the vagina and skin in the region of the external genital organs and perineum. There is no need for treatment. Only compliance with basic hygienic rules is required. Natural secretions occur for the following reasons:
- an increase in mucus before menstruation, during pregnancy or after childbirth,
- age hormonal changes
- breast diseases,
- changes in the hormonal composition of the blood due to diseases of the endocrine glands,
- use of hormonal contraceptives,
- mental stress.
Normal yellow discharge without an unpleasant odor consists of mucus flowing from the body and cervix, as well as fluids from the lymphatic and small blood vessels.
Yellow discharge after abortion
After artificial termination of pregnancy, thick leucorrhea can disturb a woman for 2-3 months. Due to damage to small vessels, blood impurities appear. It is necessary to carefully monitor the change in their color and smell, so as not to miss the moment of occurrence of inflammatory processes.
The decrease in immunity that occurs after an abortion, contributes to the penetration of staphylococcal and streptococcal infections in the internal genital organs. It also causes intestinal and urinary organs diseases.
Yellowish discharge during pregnancy
Yellow, thick, odorless discharge, having a creamy color, appears in the first trimester of pregnancy. Their appearance is caused by a change in the hormonal background in the body and is not dangerous. Sometimes the color is affected by the use of certain hygiene products or the wearing of linen from synthetic fabrics.
In the 2nd trimester, with a normal pregnancy, the clear discharge becomes even more abundant. It is worth paying close attention to them if they get an unpleasant odor and turn yellow. This may indicate a pathology. The cause is an inflammatory disease in the fallopian tubes or ovaries. At the same time, the discharge becomes bright yellow.
Yellow discharge in inflammatory diseases of the genital organs
When an infection enters the genitals of a woman, an abundant discharge of yellow color of different shades and intensities can appear. The causes are the following diseases:
- Salpingitis (inflammation of the fallopian tubes). In some cases, blood impurities appear in them. There is painful urination, as the infection spreads to the bladder.
- Adnexitis (inflammation of the uterus). Characterized by the appearance of pus in the yellow discharge. There is irritation of the external genitalia, frequent urination, pain during menstruation and sexual intercourse.
- Bacterial vaginitis (inflammatory disease of the vagina). In this case, women have copious yellow discharge with an unpleasant odor.
- Venereal diseases (gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomoniasis, mycoplasmosis). They are characterized by the appearance of abundant yellow discharge with an admixture of pus, with a sharp unpleasant odor. Irritation of the genitals causes the appearance of edema, itching, burning.
When do I need to see a doctor?
Yellow discharge should not alarm the woman if they do not cause itching, burning, frequent urination, pain, and also have no smell. Normally, they are not too abundant. A slight increase in volume occurs before menstruation. The yellow color of the discharge should not be too bright - from light yellow to yellowish with a cream shade.
Normal discharge homogeneous in composition, do not have lumps. Cheesy white discharge, as well as abundant liquid foamy mucus are deviations from the norm and the reason for the urgent visit to the doctor. First of all, a smear of the vaginal contents is taken to study the microflora. Bacterial seeding is also done to determine the type of bacteria and their sensitivity to drugs.
Anxiety or norm?
Such a symptom is not always a sign of the impact of abnormal factors. Often the white tint of whiter is due to the course of physiological processes, provoked by objective grounds. The color and consistency of female sexual secretion is influenced by many factors: fluctuation in the level of hormones, the composition of the natural microflora, medication and other reasons.
In some cases, the appearance of anomalous whiter cannot be explained by natural factors. If, in addition to suspicious marks on the laundry, the woman notes an unpleasant smell, the appearance of discomfort and pain in the area of the intimate zone, indisposition, then we are talking about a pathological condition that requires the help of a specialist.
Sometimes this shade is due to the peculiarities of the reproductive system and the ratio of hormone levels. Natural whites, having such a color and volatile nature, should not be intense and cause discomfort.
White discharge from women is replaced by yellowish immediately before or immediately after menstruation. In this case, the characteristic shade means the presence of traces of blood in the physiological secret.
Abundant, transparent, yellow, odorless secretion can occur in the middle of the cycle when a woman begins to ovulate. Often, at such a time, she is distinguished by a thick, slimy character (discharge looks like snot).
If a woman has recently begun to take oral contraceptives, then this shade arises due to the restructuring of hormonal levels. Often, OK is accompanied by the appearance of scanty yellow vaginal discharge.
Often the cause of the mucous secretion of this color is unprotected sexual intercourse, when the semen of the partner gets into the woman's vagina. In this case, the appearance of the described secretion in the form of clots of a pale hue is regular. The situation normalizes after 8-10 hours after sexual contact.
Change of sexual partner can also be an explanation for specific secretion. Thus, the vaginal flora adapts to the unfamiliar microflora of the man.
Pathological causes of yellow discharge without odor
A change in the color of the secretion of the sex glands, which is not accompanied by an unpleasant odor, sometimes indicates the action of adverse factors. Consider them in more detail.
- Colpitis is often the cause of the described discharge. The specific flavor may be absent. Inflammation of the mucous membrane is accompanied by itching, hyperemia, swelling of the vulva, burning at the time of urination. Inflammation can affect both an adult woman and a teenager.
- Andexite is also often accompanied by a yellowish, odorless and itchy discharge. Additionally, accompanying signs appear: pain, lower abdomen and lower back, rise in body temperature, general malaise.
- Cervical erosion is another reason for the occurrence of the phenomenon. Explains its presence in the physiological secret of a small amount of blood or the beginning of the inflammatory process. After the procedure of cauterization of erosion, transparent suze is considered a variant of the norm. If the marks on the clothes do not stop, and they look like pus in appearance, then we are talking about the accession of the infection.
- Some types of STDs also accompany this symptom. Pathogenic pathogens can irritate the mucous membranes, cause pronounced itching and swelling of the labia. An example of such diseases are ureaplasmosis, mycoplasmosis, chlamydia, which in some cases are asymptomatic.
Leucorrhea yellowish with smell
If there is not only the appearance of such a secret, but also the addition of a specific aroma and other symptoms of ill-being, then we no longer have to speak about the variant of the norm. There are all signs of the pathological process. However, the causes of this manifestation are also quite a lot. Let's talk about them in more detail and consider the appropriate photos.
A common cause of abundant yellow secretion with the smell of stale fish and watery character. The disease is an inflammation of the mucous layer of the endometrium, which occurs due to an imbalance of microflora. A prerequisite for this are various factors: treatment with antibiotics, hormonal changes, non-compliance with intimate hygiene.
Disease caused by hormonal disorders. Its essence lies in the pathological growth of the endometrium. An additional symptom is the appearance of a rich dark yellow and brown secretion resembling water and having a pungent unpleasant odor.
Neoplasms of the reproductive system of a benign nature are accompanied by rich yellow secretions with a sour odor.
In cancer of the genital organs, the appearance of bleeding is characteristic, as well as a secret that has a red-yellow color (this often indicates the presence of a purulent component). There is a disgusting scent of rot, pain, covering the lower abdomen and the sacrum, weakness, apathy, weight loss.
Sometimes yellow thick discharge with an unpleasant odor in women with oncology is explained by the formation of a fistula that combines the reproductive system with the bladder or intestines. It begins to fester, which causes a change in the color of natural whiter.
The recovery period after abortion, gynecological curettage (when removing a polyp, cleaning when miscarried) is often accompanied by the presence of secretion with a characteristic tinge. Iron flavor can be felt, suggesting the presence of whiter blood in the composition. When the amount of discharge of discharge after an abortion or surgery increases, begins to smell bad, is accompanied by malaise, painful sensations, this condition indicates the accession of a bacterial infection.
This symptom with an unpleasant odor may appear as a result of the development of Candida. Most often at the initial stage of the disease, women note an itchy labia and a secret resembling white cheesy grains. Each such small lump is easily detached from the mucous membrane. But as the disease progresses, the color of the secret becomes yellow and even greenish, and ulceration occurs at the site of the detachable particles. At the same time, the appearance of a strong sourish fragrance resembling the flavor of sour milk is noted. Some representatives of the weaker sex have an ammonia-like discharge.
Diabetes mellitus is often provoked by this symptom, but then the mucus smells like acetone and is accompanied by itching of the vulva.
STDs are distinguished by leucorrhea of pronounced yellow color, which is a priori not natural.
Gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, gardenadelosis, an acute form of chlamydia or mycoplasmosis
Venereal diseases, which are accompanied not only by abnormal secretion, but also severe discomfort in the intimate area. We are talking about swelling, redness, burning in the urethra when emptying the bladder. Additionally, the presence of a repulsive fragrance (onions, spoiled herring). On the causes of discharge in women with onion smell, read the link.
Independently identifying the presence of one or another sexual infection is not possible due to the similarity of symptoms, therefore it is extremely important not to engage in self-diagnosis, but to seek help from a doctor who will prescribe tests and follow-up therapy.
Normal and pathological secretion during pregnancy and after childbirth
It is especially important to get an appointment with a doctor as soon as possible if symptoms appear during pregnancy. Sexual infections are dangerous in the first trimester, because the formation of fetal organs and systems takes place at an early period. Yes, and throughout the entire period of gestation, the presence of STIs is a potential threat to the safe bearing of a baby.
If yellowish or brownish mucus appeared against the background of delayed menstruation, then the reason may be in the ensuing pregnancy.
The change in whiter color occurs at different stages of carrying a baby, as well as during the period of HB. The cause of this phenomenon is a temporary change in hormonal levels.
In the first weeks after childbirth, including those completed by caesarean section, the dark yellow hue of the rejected fluid is a natural sign of the recovery of the female reproductive organs, and is explained by the presence of a certain amount of blood in its composition. Find out in the article at the link how long the discharge goes after delivery.
The yellow water from the genital tract in the last weeks of pregnancy indicates the leakage of amniotic fluid.
As they say reviews of future mothers undergoing treatment with hormonal drugs, the bright lemon color of the secret is triggered by taking certain medications (Duphaston, Terzhinan) and vitamins containing riboflavin.
The described symptom during menopause is a variant of the norm. The color and consistency of whiter is transformed under the influence of hormonal factors (due to a decrease in the production of progesterone and estrogen). They also become thicker in texture. If the yellow discharge without smell in menopausal women does not cause inconvenience, then do not worry.
Strengthening of such secretion in the period of menopause, supplemented by unpleasant sensations in the area of the external genital organs, indicates the development of vaginosis. This disease often worries women during menopause, when there is a sharp decrease in estrogen production and the inevitably associated deterioration of the protective function of the mucosa.
Treatment of pathological secretions
Diseases caused by pathogenic microorganisms are commonly treated with antibiotics or antiviral agents. In parallel, prescribed a course of vitamins and drugs that help prevent vaginal dysbiosis.
Thrush is treated with antifungal agents for both internal (capsule) and local use (suppositories and suppositories). During pregnancy and breastfeeding, the doctor will prescribe local topical medications so as not to harm the baby’s well-being. To help prevent periodic relapses characteristic of this disease, is able to receive complexes that restore the natural balance of microflora. This is the only way to get rid of this unpleasant disease.
Brownish and yellow discharge from the vagina with endometriosis will disappear after the elimination of the manifestations of the disease hormonal therapy, anti-inflammatory drugs, vitamins, enzymes and sedatives.
If this symptom appeared during menopause, then taking plant estrogen will help restore the balance of hormones, and in difficult cases - hormone replacement therapy. To prescribe any drugs should only doctor.
Prevention is much preferable to medical treatment. To prevent the appearance of pathological secretion, it is important to follow simple rules:
- adequate hygiene
- maintaining a healthy lifestyle, including a balanced diet with reduced sugar,
- reasonable attitude to sexual relations, the use of barrier methods of contraception,
- maintaining the balance of the vaginal flora during antibiotic treatment with the help of special preparations,
- and the attention to health, expressed in the immediate treatment to the doctor (in case of problems) and the annual scheduled examination with a preventive purpose.
What is the norm and what are the reasons for the changes
Естественный влагалищный секрет представляет собой прозрачные, иногда белые выделения без запаха. However, given that the vaginal microflora for the most part consists of lactobacilli, whites with a sour odor are also not considered pathological, unless they are accompanied by other suspicious symptoms. The consistency of natural considered liquid discharge without the inclusion of clots, the volume of which should not exceed 5 ml per day.
It should be remembered that both the volume and the color of the vaginal secretions may change before menstruation, against the background of sexual contact. Not uncommon secretion of mucus with yellow or cream shades.
With a yellow, odorless discharge, a woman may face menstrual periods, since, according to physiological features, during ovulation, the amount of whiter significantly increases as progesterone levels rise. This hormone not only contributes to an increase in the volume of mucus, but also is capable of provoking the formation of yellowish secretions in women who in normal condition are not accompanied by additional symptoms and disappear after two or three days. It is more and more difficult when problems arise in the urogenital system - the body notifies women of their yellow discharge after menstruation about them. If they occur after menstruation - this is usually a sign of exposure to infectious pathogens. There are many reasons for their appearance in women and girls, among them:
- Disturbed hormonal background - in the presence of this problem, additional symptoms appear, in particular, failure of the interval between menstruation, change in their duration and profusion.
- The use of hormonal pharmaceuticals - with their long-term use in women can experience changes in the functionality of the reproductive system.
- Stressful states, emotional overstrain - because of the experiences, adrenaline production increases, hormone synthesis is suppressed and concentration levels are reduced, hence the disturbed menstrual cycle.
- The presence of genital infections - at the very beginning of the development of the pathology of yellowish discharge become the first symptom of the impact of an infectious pathogen that multiplies and begins to crowd out the normal vaginal microflora. The activity of pathogenic microorganisms is accompanied not only by yellow secretions with an unpleasant odor, but also by itching, burning sensation, swelling of the genitals and the vulva.
It doesn’t hurt to consider the pathological reasons for which odorless yellow-green leucorrhoea is excreted in women who bear a child - this is usually a symptom of an infected abortion, as a result of which the fetus dies. Concomitant symptoms in this case are chills, temperature increase, signs of inflammation, as indicated by indicators in the study of blood.
Yellowish discharge may be observed after childbirth, although the usual phenomenon in this period is lochia, which is a blood discharge that resembles the usual periods. The yellow color of the shade may indicate that the infection has joined, although it is necessary to take into account the fact that over time the lochia itself changes color:
- For about a week after birth, there are liquid red lochia, in which there are blood clots.
- During the second, and often the third week, the lochia becomes dark red, brown, or brown.
- In the third or fourth week, the lochia is blood-like, and this period may also be accompanied by white-yellow secretions or whitish bely.
The yellow color of the secret itself does not always have to alarm the woman, but the gynecologist should appear as a mandatory when observed:
- yellow mucous discharge with an unpleasant smell - it can be sour, fishy, putrid or onion,
- vaginal itching appears,
- there is pain in the lower abdomen,
- when urinating a burning sensation is felt,
- the color becomes more intense or with shades - yellow-green, dark yellow, very bright,
- in the process of intercourse, there is noticeable discomfort.
It makes no sense to be frightened of periodically arising light yellow discharge if there are no secondary symptoms, but it must be remembered that the parameters of the norm for each girl or woman are individual.
What can this indicate
If the yellow, odorless discharge is not accompanied by additional signs in the form of itching or burning, redness or swelling of the genital organs, in most cases you can perceive them as a natural passing phenomenon. However, the yellow color after the appearance of menstruation, observed for more than four days, accompanied by discomfort and other unpleasant symptoms - a significant reason to contact a gynecologist. The following conditions require special attention, which accompany yellow discharge from women:
- Adnexitis, which is an inflammatory process, the place of development of which is uterine appendages. The disease provokes yellow discharge in women, the volume of which often becomes too abundant. With adnexitis, a fair amount of pus can be contained in the whites, while passing to the pathology in the chronicles of discharge, they are copiously transformed into a daub, which can be released by the female vagina. Other symptoms gradually appear - lumbar and spinal pain, unpleasant sensations in the groin area during intercourse, frequent trips to the toilet for small needs.
- In case of bacterial vaginitis, when pathogenic microorganisms damage the vaginal walls, yellow vaginal discharges are not accompanied by unpleasant smells, but they are accompanied by pains of the whining character in the lower abdomen and burning sensation in the vagina.
- Salpingitis is a lesion of the fallopian tubes, while exacerbations may be accompanied by dark yellow secretions, pain in that side, from the side of which the inflammatory process is localized.
- Allergic reactions can hardly be called a complete pathology, but they can be accompanied by bright yellow secretions from women, irritations and reddening of the genital organs, their swelling. Usually such situations arise when using synthetic linen or pads with different impregnations.
When yellow thick, odorless discharge occurs, accompanied by the listed symptoms, it is necessary to undergo an examination, without self-medicating, in order to avoid various complications.
With a smell and various shades
Yellow discharge with the smell of women - a symptom is much more dangerous than without it. Typically, this phenomenon indicates the presence in the fertile system of infectious processes. The list of pathological signs includes itching in the vagina, puffiness of the pubic zone. The most commonly diagnosed are:
- Trichomoniasis, in which there are frothy yellow or green discharge with the smell of rotten fish. Green discharge is accompanied by hyperemia of the labia, itching is observed, and during coitus - severe pain attacks.
- Chlamydia infiltration into the body causes abundant yellow discharge with an admixture of pus. In the process of urination, a significant burning sensation occurs against the background of the pathological process flowing to the mucous layer of the urinary ducts.
- Colpit is accompanied by yellow thick discharge with a greenish tint, sometimes mixed with blood.
- When oophoritis is disturbed, hormonal synthesis is observed and the cycle fails, the result is a delay in menstruation and an increase in the cycle, the yellow leucorrhoea may be too scarce or excessively abundant.
- Whitish, very light yellow discharge and itching, admixture of pus and mucus in the whiteness, burning sensation, soreness of the genitals, too frequent urination accompanied by unpleasant sensations may indicate the presence of gonorrhea.
Uterine cervix erosion is the reason why yellow-white leucorrhoea can appear. The brown tint speaks of the admixture of blood, since erosion is accompanied by ulcers. Beli also indicate the occurrence of inflammatory processes.
It should be mentioned that yellow discharge after menopause may be without pathology, although this is more the exception to the rule. If the menopause has come, but the discharge goes, has a yellowish tint and an unpleasant smell, the lack of estrogen can be suspected. Usually this situation develops with vaginitis or vaginosis on the background of impaired vaginal microflora.
The presence of itching as evidence of candidiasis
Abundant discharge of yellow cheesy consistency can be caused by the fungus Candida. The appearance of a saturated sour smell in combination with a yellow tinge is a clear sign of a fungal pathology, which is called candidiasis. This fungus is found even in the vagina of a perfectly healthy woman in 5% of all cases. He is able to get there from the intestines in the case when personal hygiene measures are insufficient or occasional sexual intercourse has occurred.
But even penetrating into the vaginal microflora, the fungus does not in all cases cause color changes with the smell of mucous secretions and itching, usually symptoms appear when immunity decreases or hormonal changes, malfunctions in metabolic processes, with often developing adnexitis or cystitis. Pathological mucous discharge from women as a symptom of candidosis can also appear after long-term use of antibiotics or contraceptives. As the statistics show, most often, candidiasis causes whites with an unpleasant odor in women who bear a child, which is closely related to hormonal changes in the body during this period.
With this pathology, chewy liquid whites of yellowish color are usually observed in women, if the disease is neglected and is in a difficult stage, the consistency of secreted mucus becomes thick, pasty, and the color shades of the green spectrum are possible. Smell such discharge is extremely unpleasant. As for the itch, it can occur intermittently or be constantly present, with a long physical load or during menstruation, it often becomes noticeably reinforced.
Methods of treatment and preventive measures
If the opaque odorless discharge in women does not accompany the pathological symptoms, and the whites themselves of this hue appear periodically, there is no particular need for a specialist visit, unless for your own reassurance. But adjusting your own habits in this case does not hurt:
- isolating odorless women require careful hygiene,
- choosing hygienic products, it is desirable to do without a large number of dyes and allergens, in the case of pregnancy, it is better to refuse to use soap at all, giving preference to warm water twice a day,
- synthetic linen should be discarded in favor of breathable natural materials,
- if, during sexual intercourse, a variety of lubricants were used as experiments, it is better to return to the early methods of protection,
- panty liners can also cause irritation and whitening, they should be chosen carefully, such products should not contain fragrances and dyes.
It should be understood that any person has his own individual concepts regarding hues and their intensity, and it is rather difficult to determine pathology based solely on the external signs of a vaginal secretion; even an experienced specialist will not always cope with the diagnosis without any scrupulous research. Therefore, if the discharge is clearly different from the norm in its color, texture, smell and volume, it is necessary to pass tests and examination, on the basis of which the treatment will be built. The examination, in turn, involves the selection of smears from the genital tract, vagina, pelvic ultrasound and organs located in it, and hysteroscopy. After receiving the results, a therapeutic scheme is developed, which takes into account:
- the age of the patient
- general health,
- the severity of the disease that caused the appearance of whiter,
- presence of concomitant pathologies,
- idiosyncrasy drugs.
Antimicrobial treatment is usually prescribed, douching is performed, the vaginal microflora is normalized. In the presence of menopause treatment requires the use of replacement therapy, which allows you to adjust hormones, to restore the functionality of the mucous layer of the genital tract. If there has been a pathology transmitted through sexual contact, the partner of the affected woman should also be treated. Therapy also includes the use of immunomodulators, probiotics, carrying out desensitization of the body, the appointment of anti-mycotic substances. A fortifying and physiotherapeutic treatment is required.
There is no specific prophylaxis in this case. The general recommendations include the need to visit the gynecological office every six months, avoid hypothermia, constant hygiene. Partners should be changed as little as possible and use condoms during sex.
Often with the appearance of whites, the victims use recipes of traditional medicine for douching, preparation of therapeutic baths, tampons and candles. Doctors are not always skeptical, but they recommend resorting to the use of such agents under certain conditions:
- Traditional medicine should not be used as an independent treatment, but only as an additional way to enhance the effectiveness of traditional therapy.
- Before using any prescription, you must first consult your doctor.
- Should consider the possibility of individual intolerance of herbal ingredients, as well as take into account contraindications to the ingredients.
- When preparing herbal preparations at home, you should clearly follow the recipe - the dosage and stages of preparation of funds.
As for recipes, here are the most popular ones used for vaginal douches from yellow secretions:
- It is necessary to grind the oak bark, pour a large spoonful of the ingredient with a liter of boiling liquid and boil for another 20 minutes over a small fire. Douching is carried out after filtration and cooling the composition.
- You can use eucalyptus, brewing two large spoons of crushed leaves in half a liter of boiling water. Then the product is boiled on low heat for 15 minutes, cooled and filtered.
- 200 ml of the boiling liquid are poured over a small spoon of the crushed meadowsweet and boiled over low heat for another 20 minutes, the medium is cooled and filtered.
- An excellent remedy for diseases affecting the vaginal mucous membrane is the color of calendula. For the preparation of a large spoonful of flowers plants are brewed in a cup of boiling water and insist for half an hour under the lid, wrapping the container with a warm cloth. Then the tool is filtered and used for douching.
To get rid of whiter are well suited and therapeutic baths with extracts of pine or other conifers. It is simple to prepare such a bath - 150 grams of dry needles are added to three liters of liquid and the product is boiled over low heat for 40 minutes. Also, with abundant belyah, it is recommended to drink a dessert spoonful of fresh nettle juice three times a day.
The main thing that needs to be remembered in the treatment of any pathology is the inadmissibility of self-treatment.
Highlight yellow - the norm or not?
The female organ of the vagina connects the reproductive system with the external environment. To prevent various kinds of infections from getting inside, an acid-base balance is maintained in the vagina, shifted to the side of an acid reaction. On the mucous membranes of the body there are "special" bacteria that create this environment.
In a healthy state, self-regulation of cells occurs - secretion (excretion) performs the function of cleansing the body, which is the norm. Color can vary from transparent white to yellow.
Physiological secretions in medicine have the term whites. They are characterized by the following:
- do not leave stains on linen,
- normally, the amount of discharge should not exceed 5 ml per day, and during ovulation, before or after sexual intercourse, the amount of discharge may increase,
- the consistency of healthy secretions is fluid and uniform,
- yellow color in women without odor, which in very rare cases may be slightly acidic,
- during discharge, there should be no associated symptoms such as itching or burning.
Some changes in the amount of discharge, their quality and consistency, usually occur due to:
- use of certain medications
- use of contraceptive drugs
- sexual arousal.
Causes of yellow discharge in women
There are often cases when yellow discharge is possible in women. The reasons for this can be both features of the female body, and pathology caused by diseases of the reproductive system.
1. Physiological changes. Discharges that are the result of natural changes in a woman’s body are considered normal. They become yellow because of pregnancy, during ovulation, before menstruation or after it.
Discharges in such cases are not abundant, the woman does not feel discomfort because of them. В выделениях не должны присутствовать сгустки, нижнее белье после них остается чистым.
2. Процесс воспаления. Желтые слизистые выделения часто являются симптомом заболевания половых органов.
But at the same time, they should be accompanied by other signs of diseases that depend on the organ in which inflammation occurred: abdominal pain, lumbar pain, pain when urinating, itching, burning, a bright shade of discharge, a pungent smell and others.
3. Allergy which can be caused by: personal hygiene products, underwear fabric, condoms, vaginal contraceptives.
4. Tumor - the presence of a malignant tumor in the organs of the genitourinary system.
Yellow discharge with the smell of a woman - what does this mean?
Such secretions suggest the presence of serious female diseases.
Strong smell discharge is a symptom of vaginosis. With this disease, the mucous membrane of the vagina is inflamed and the odor-like discharge indicates a violation of microflora and the development of pathogenic bacteria, instead of “beneficial” ones. Possible causes of vaginosis:
- changes in hormone levels
- weak immunity of women
- infectious or inflammatory diseases,
- postpartum period
- malignant tumors,
- sexually transmitted diseases.
Vaginosis is dangerous because the infection can penetrate the uterine cavity and cause endometritis.
Into the vaginal environment can get harmful microorganisms - chlamydia, streptococci, Trichomonas, causing inflammation of the colpitis. Along with yellow discharge, colpitis may be accompanied by symptoms:
- swelling of the vagina,
- frothy green
- itching and burning in the perineum.
Hormonal failure can also cause the appearance of discharge with the smell. As a result, endometriosis can begin - this disease causes the growth of the mucous membrane and often causes infertility in women.
- The characteristic symptoms are menstrual pains and strong discharge of a yellow-brown shade with a strong odor.
Abundant yellow discharge in women with an unpleasant odor may occur due to the appearance of a malignant tumor in the bladder area.
Yellow green discharge
Such secretions appear in most cases due to diseases that are sexually transmitted. A possible cause is the inflammatory process.
If a yellow-green discharge occurs after intercourse (unprotected), then the cause should be sought in a disease that has been committed in this way. Infections can occur in latent form. Sometimes they develop into a hidden form, which greatly complicates the diagnosis and treatment.
In some cases, the only symptom of the disease is discharge. Therefore, a woman should consult a gynecologist as soon as they appear.
- Yellow-green discharge is a sign of trichomoniasis. They may be frothy. This is a genital infection, which further develops into vulvovaginitis. The disease is also characterized by swelling and itching of the genitals.
- Abundant and thick discharge may appear when infected with chlamydia or mycoplasmosis.
- Yellow sour discharge in women with a greenish tinge speak of the development of thrush or candidiasis. This disease may appear as a result of a weakened immune system or against the background of medication.
Yellow-green discharge is sometimes a symptom of inflammatory processes that occur in the organs of the female urogenital system.
Abundant secretions usually occur with inflammation of the ovaries or fallopian tubes. In this case, the woman feels a general malaise, the temperature may rise and disturb the pain in the area of the appendages. If these diseases are not cured in time, they will become chronic.
Yellow discharge during pregnancy
Yellow, odorless discharge in women often appears during pregnancy. During this period, the body experiences significant hormonal changes. If the discharge is not accompanied by other characteristic symptoms and does not bring discomfort to the woman, then there is no reason to worry.
In the first weeks of pregnancy, there may be a liquid yellow discharge from women, they say that the body begins to produce progesterone in large quantities.
As a result, with the activation of the secretory function of the vagina, dead epithelial cells get into the normal discharge. In addition, a certain percentage of particles in the forming mucus plug also contributes to the appearance of yellow color.
Before childbirth, a yellowish shade of discharge may acquire due to the fact that the cork begins to separate.
A pregnant woman may begin to suspect infection at the following points:
- there is an unpleasant smell
- discharge contains any blotches (blood or pus),
- itching, redness, or pain appears.
At the first appearance of suspicious secretions, a pregnant woman should immediately contact her gynecologist.
Treatment of yellow secretions, prevention
Treatment, which may be necessary in the presence of yellow discharge, must be prescribed by a doctor. First of all, he will conduct the necessary examination, which will help to determine the cause of the appearance of such secretions. Usually a woman takes a smear and blood for analysis. Also, the gynecologist will conduct a routine examination, in some cases, a woman can be referred for an ultrasound.
After the cause of the discharge is known, the doctor will prescribe the necessary treatment. When inflammation will need to drink a course of antibiotics or antifungal drugs. Douching and remedies that normalize the vaginal microflora can also be prescribed.
In the treatment of an infectious disease that is sexually transmitted, the treatment of a permanent partner becomes mandatory. At the time of treatment, it is necessary to refrain from sex.
Every woman is recommended to follow preventive measures that will help avoid problems with secretions:
- gynecologist must be visited every six months,
- try to lead a healthy lifestyle, which includes reasonable exercise,
- during intercourse it is necessary to use barrier contraceptives,
- adhere to the principles of proper nutrition,
- to maintain hygiene using only proven intimate care products,
- Underwear must be purchased from natural fabric,
- avoid hypothermia, consult a doctor promptly,
- support the body through immunotherapy,
- have sex only with a trusted partner,
- pregnant women are recommended to more carefully monitor the hygiene and the condition of their body.
If a woman complies with these simple recommendations, the risk of diseases of the genitourinary system is significantly reduced.
How to regard women highlight yellow - as a reason to worry and consult a doctor or as a variant of the norm? In fact, yellow discharge from the vagina or any other discharge from women is individual and depends on the body and state of health.
Very often, white-yellow or light yellow discharge from women appears in normal health. It is possible to consider such a variant of the norm in the event that there are no other unpleasant symptoms - pain in the lower abdomen, itching in the intimate area, burning sensation during urination, etc.
But if strong discharge constantly appears - cheesy, having an unpleasant odor and provoking manifestations of discomfort, unpleasant sensations, both during sexual contact and after an unprotected act, in this case you need to consult a doctor and find out the causes of such symptoms.
As a rule, abundant green-yellow or bright yellow discharge indicates that a woman develops genital infection or inflammation of the uterus. Also likely cervical erosion and other diseases of the genitourinary system.
If we talk about their number, then throughout the day they should not be more than one teaspoon. In some cases, before menstruation, yellow discharge becomes a little more abundant. However, normally, yellowish discharge in women before menstruation is not so strong as to cause severe discomfort. They may also increase slightly during and after intercourse.
Normally, they should not leave visible traces on linen. Normal shade - light yellow or cream, barely noticeable.
In a healthy woman, discharge from the uterus should not be with an unpleasant odor. If the discharge smells like onions, fish or has another unpleasant odor, you can suspect the development of the disease. The smell of onions indicates an infection, so a doctor should be consulted immediately.
Normal should appear watery discharge, not too thick and sticky. However, during the monthly cycle, their character may slightly change, so watery discharge before menstruation may change thicker, and in the middle of the cycle, during ovulation, they become slimy, stretching.
If a woman who is carefully monitoring her health, keeps track of the changes that occur in her body, sometimes she may notice that there is a discharge of yellow color without smell. If they are not too abundant, have a uniform consistency, then yellowish, odorless and itchy discharge at different stages of the menstrual cycle may be normal. The natural compartments that form in the vagina are protective mucus that prevents the ingress of pathogenic viruses and bacteria. Therefore, a uniform transparent mucus, sometimes a yellowish tint, is a normal separation. They occur regularly, without discomfort and itching. Their intensity, as a rule, depends on the phase of the monthly cycle, as well as on what diseases were recently transferred. But if the yellow-green discharge without smell in women is different from the usual, in this case, you must visit a doctor.
After menstruation, light brown, orange or yellow bloody parts are also noted. If yellow discharge after menstruation appears over several days, gradually becoming less intense, this is normal.
Such symptoms may occur in the period after artificial interruption. of pregnancy. In this situation, you need to pay special attention, since the appearance of an unpleasant odor, other alarming symptoms may be evidence of the development of the inflammatory process. Therefore, if there are serous, bright yellow discharge from women or other atypical manifestations, a doctor should be consulted.
During pregnancy, thick yellow vaginal discharge can be released in the first trimester, when the body is rapidly changing hormones. This changes the color of the vagina, nipples, there are other bright signs of this process. They are not dangerous if they are not accompanied by other disturbing symptoms.
In the second trimester, there are abundant transparent compartments. Such abundant liquid secretions, like water, are not dangerous as long as they do not get a bad smell and do not turn yellow. This may already be a sign of pathology. Their bright yellow color is a sign that inflammation develops in the ovaries or fallopian tubes.
Whether yellow discharge after delivery is normal depends on many factors. Every woman immediately after the birth of the baby for several weeks, there is a postpartum secret - lochia. The nature of the lohii is constantly changing, gradually from red they turn brown, then yellow. If a young mother has a uterus that is not reduced too intensively, the separation of this color can disturb even 1-2 months - so the uterus is cleaned. Basically, this is normal, but you should still go for a routine check-up with a doctor. Concerning the addition of other signs - high body temperature, itching, severe discomfort or pain.
Often appear yellow discharge in women with climax. First of all, you need to be clearly aware that during menopause, any part of the vagina that is different from the normal - white-yellow mucous, may indicate a pathology. It is clear that when menopause blood, foul-smelling or purulent discharge is not normal. In particular, blood may be a precursor oncological diseases. However, if a woman is just undergoing hormone replacement therapy, then the non-abundant compartments containing blood are most likely normal. Yellowish curd - may be evidence fungal infection. Therefore, for any suspicious manifestations during menopause and after it, it is important to immediately contact a specialist.
What to do with yellow discharge?
First of all, it is necessary to take into account that each woman perceives in her own way the intensity, color and consistency of secretions; therefore, it is difficult even for a specialist to judge any pathology only on the basis of a verbal description. To determine whether any disease develops, a woman must first pass a swab. The doctor conducts bacterial seeding on pathogenic microbes.
However, it is definitely known that a healthy person should not have intense brown, red, pink, yellow and other secretions. Such manifestations should always be alarming, as they indicate the development of an infectious process.
If yellow discharge with the smell of women appears after sexual contact, which was unprotected, there is a high probability that the cause of such manifestations is a genital infection. If they are yellow-green with an unpleasant smell in women, it can be suspected that a hidden genital infection develops, which can occur in a chronic form, causing such symptoms.
Low symptom forms can take chlamydia, mycoplasmosis, trichomoniasis, genital herpes, gonorrhea etc. In sexually transmitted infections, copious yellow discharge with a sour odor or other unpleasant odor may appear. This is most often observed in gonorrhea and trichomoniasis. It also causes itching and discomfort when urinating.
However, if there is no sexual contact, yellowish discharge from women with or without odor is possible due to other causes. These factors are:
Also, this is possible if non-compliance with the rules of hygiene. Cheesy discharge may occur when thrush, bacterial vaginosis. If it develops GardnerellosisThere is also an unpleasant fishy smell.
Therefore, why these symptoms have appeared should be learned from a specialist who will dispel or confirm suspicions. It is especially important to consult a doctor after doubtful sexual contact. The doctor will conduct an examination, as well as carry out all the necessary tests and examinations to determine whether latent infections are developing in the body.
It is important for each patient to understand that until the real cause of the unpleasant manifestations is finally determined, no measures can be taken and treatments carried out. After all, the use of any medication can blur the true picture of what is happening, thereby preventing the establishment of the correct diagnosis by a specialist.
The latter applies not only to medical treatment, but also to douching. Those who practice douching for cleansing from unpleasant manifestations should initially visit the doctor and consult with him about this. After all, the use of douching in a variety of diseases, such as candidiasis, can adversely affect the vaginal microflora, thereby only exacerbating the signs of thrush or provoking the development of bacterial vaginosis. After douching with potassium permanganate, soda or other improvised means, the infection may spread even more actively, which is a factor contributing to the development inflammatory processes of the uterus, and endometritis, endometriosis. Therefore, douching can only harm health.
What to do with yellow-green discharge?
If there is a selection of green or yellowish-green, this in any case indicates the development of pathology. They can appear both before monthly and throughout the whole cycle. Most likely, light green vaginal compartments with or without odor indicate the development of an infection that provokes an inflammatory process in the body. As noted above, this is possible with candidiasis, bacterial vaginosis, as well as diseases that are transmitted sexually. However, the allocation of a greenish color in women without odor or unpleasantly smelling is possible with diseases of the female reproductive system - in particular, inflammation of the uterus, its appendages, cervix.
Therefore, treatment of green secretions in women without odor or with a bad smell can be started only by setting the true diagnosis. Abundant, yellow-green compartments are possible for the following diseases:
- oophoritis(inflammation of the ovaries),
- adnexitis(inflammatory process of the uterus),
- salpingitis(inflammation of the fallopian tubes).
If there are branches more scarce, yellowish or greenish, then we can talk about the chronic forms of these ailments. They can also cause bacterial vaginosis, cervical erosion.
Лечение заболеваний, провоцирующих такие симптомы
If we are talking about an acute inflammatory process in which purulent discharges appear in women, then the patient is hospitalized. Inpatient treatment is necessary if the patient also has a high body temperature, lower back pain, and severe abdominal pain.
If the causes of purulent discharge in women are associated with the chronic course of the disease, then during exacerbation, therapy is also carried out in a hospital setting.
However, no matter how a woman feels, if jelly-like, yellow-brown, green or abundant watery discharge from women appears, this is an unequivocal signal that an urgent need to visit a gynecologist and determine why abundant vaginal discharge appears.
This is compulsory, since any inflammation that does not heal in a timely manner becomes chronic. With such a development of events, relapses may occur, with the result that with a high probability may lead to the development of infertility, termination of pregnancy, preterm birth, ectopic pregnancy and other pathologies. In the menopausal period, the risk of developing cancer of the female reproductive system increases.
Therefore, for the purpose of prevention, it is important to visit the gynecologist at least once a year. This is especially important for those who occasionally notice white-pink compartments from the uterus, as well as blood, brown discharge in the middle of the menstrual cycle.
The vagina is the genital organ, which is the connecting bridge between the external environment and the internal reproductive organs. The acid-base balance of the vagina is biased towards an acidic reaction, which prevents the penetration of infections and the occurrence of inflammatory processes. This acidic environment is created by bacteria that live on the mucous membrane. The cells of a healthy vagina produce secretions or secretions for cleansing and self-regulation, just as saliva cleanses and regulates the environment of the oral cavity. Such secretions are considered normal. Any intervention in the delicate balance of vaginal secretions creates conditions conducive to the development of infection.
Quality of discharge
All women have vaginal discharge. Normal discharge is white, slimy, transparent, light white, yellowish and yellow. They can also contain white specks, and sometimes - to be thin and viscous. Changes in their quantity, quality and consistency occur for many reasons, including during the menstrual cycle, during emotional stress, the use of drugs, including birth control pills. They also depend on the nutritional status, the course of pregnancy and increase with sexual arousal. Highlight yellow, odorless can be the norm, and sometimes - a sign of pathology.
The menstrual cycle affects the vaginal environment. You may notice an increase in moisture and the amount of clear secretions around the 10-14th day of the cycle. The acid-base balance of the vagina fluctuates throughout the cycle and is less acidic just before and during menstruation. This creates a favorable environment for various bacteria, therefore, at this time there is a risk of infection with genital and viral infections. Before menstruation and after them, some women develop an odorless yellow discharge, sometimes with streaks of blood. Every woman knows her discharge during all the days of the menstrual cycle.
Yellow discharge during an unscented pregnancy is considered normal, provided that during the examination no infection is detected and the pregnancy does not proceed with the threat of termination. All this is diagnosed when referring to a gynecologist after a full examination. In pregnant women without any pathology, the number of whiter increases. This is a physiological phenomenon associated with hormonal changes in the body.
Yellow discharge during pregnancy without odor can appear if blood-like discharge from the cervix is added to the bleuches. An exact diagnosis can only be established by a doctor after an additional examination.
Symptoms of abnormal discharge are changes in color or quantity. This indicates an infection. Such diseases are common; most women can suffer from various forms of vaginal infection during their lifetime. These symptoms make a woman visit a gynecologist:
- discharge is accompanied by itching, rash or soreness,
- discharge persistent, with an increase in the number
- burning during urination,
- white massive whites (like cottage cheese),
- gray-white or yellow-green discharge.
Common causes of abnormal whiter
Abnormal yellow vaginal discharge occurs for many reasons, but this is usually a sign of infection and not only. When adverse factors disturb the natural balance of bacteria or yeast in the vagina, which are necessary to maintain the purity of the vagina and ensure reproductive function.
Various diseases of the internal genital organs, such as adnexitis, metroendometritis, can lead to the fact that a woman has yellow vaginal discharge. Such whites have no smell, but are accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen, fever, and sometimes symptoms of intoxication.
With undertreated diseases of the internal female organs or with an untimely visit to the doctor, there is an abundant, yellow, odorless discharge from women. Such symptoms are characteristic in most cases of tubular abscess (pus in the fallopian tube) when it is emptied.
Leucorrhea in girls and postmenopausal women
For young girls and girls, yellow vaginal discharge is a pathology. If this happens, a common cause is vulvitis (inflammation of the vulva) caused by streptococcal infection.
If a menopausal woman notes that she has a yellow, odorless discharge, then you should consult a doctor as soon as possible. Possible causes include:
- sexually transmitted infections
- cervical polyps - benign tumors in the uterus or in the cervix,
- long wearing intrauterine device.
During the examination it is important to exclude cancer processes of the uterus and cervix.
The most common causes are:
- thrush or candidiasis
- bacterial vaginosis
- genital herpes.
To establish the correct diagnosis, only a gynecologist can prescribe treatment after an additional examination. For this purpose, analyzes of secretions for flora, cytology, bakposev secretions, analysis of the contents of the vagina for examination by PCR, ultrasound of the pelvic organs are used.
Many factors affect the development of this disease. Like the appearance of thrush, there is an overgrowth of bacteria, which are normally produced in small quantities by the vaginal mucosa. At the same time, the delicate balance of the vaginal environment is upset.
Bacterial vaginosis may manifest as a single inflammatory process, but may accompany other infections. Women who have several partners and do not use personal protective equipment at the same time have an increased risk of contracting bacterial vaginosis.
Signs and symptoms:
- increased secretion
- gray-white, sometimes yellow discharge,
- watery leucorrhoea, sometimes with a fishy smell,
- change in the smell of discharge immediately after intercourse.
Nearly half of women with bacterial vaginosis have no symptoms.
This infection is caused by the introduction of unicellular protozoa organisms. Trichomoniasis is most often sexually transmitted. However, these pathogens can survive for twenty-four hours in a humid environment, which makes wet towels or bathing suits possible instruments of transmission of this infection.
Most men and some women do not feel any symptoms, but most often the disease is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- yellow, odorless, sometimes with a greenish tint,
- foamy whites,
- increased amount of discharge
- inflammation of the vulva and vagina
- increased urinary frequency,
In the absence of an infectious agent, there is a small amount of yeast (candida) present in the vagina in the vagina. Thrush occurs when there is a surplus of yeast, often caused by a change in pH balance.
Some factors that can increase the production of yeast cells:
- use of oral contraceptives,
- use of antibiotics (protective bacteria are destroyed by antibiotics, allowing the growth of a fungal infection).
Signs and symptoms:
- increased amount of discharge
- white color and texture of cottage cheese,
- redness, itching, burning of the vagina and vulva.
With such a lesion, yellow vaginal discharge is caused by inflammation and thinning of the mucous membrane and the addition of a blood-like secret to the discharge.