What is scrofula in children and adults - causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prevention
Dermatologists constantly face skin problems in their patients. Some of them respond well to therapy, it is worth only a few days to lubricate a therapeutic agent, and there are also those requiring longer therapy. Scrofula also refers to skin pathologies. What is this disease, how to recognize what methods of therapy to use?
This name is a childhood disease, resembling diathesis in its characteristics. The disease is provoked by the bacillus tubercle bacillus. Usually, the disease is diagnosed in childhood, but scrofula behind the ears is not excluded in adults.
The causative agent is related to the related organisms of the Koch sticks, so experts have concerns that without appropriate therapy, the disease can lead to serious consequences.
If the correct diagnosis is made in a timely manner and treatment is started, scrofula, unlike tuberculosis, responds well to therapy.
Pathology affects the skin, prefers to be located behind the ears, on the scalp. Lack of therapy will lead to the spread of pathological zones in other parts of the body.
Causes in adults
Many factors that significantly weaken the immune system can provoke the occurrence of scrofula in an adult:
- The presence of bad habits.
- Unbalanced and poor in vitamins and minerals diet.
- Low immunity on the background of infectious diseases or exacerbations of chronic sores.
- Disorders in the endocrine system, leading to disruption of metabolic processes.
- Genetic predisposition.
- Living in unsanitary conditions.
Scrofula in adults can develop after penetration of the mycobacterium, the causative agent of tuberculosis. It cannot provoke the active form of pathology, but the symptoms of scrofula are quite.
The infection can penetrate into any organs, but prefers to affect the skin, mucous membranes.
Signs and symptoms
The first manifestations of scrofula in adult patients are scrofulous crusts on the skin. The area of such sites increases, the skin becomes blue-violet. Then other scrofula symptoms in adults join:
- The photo clearly demonstrates flaky skin.
- Developing inflammation provokes the appearance of purulent discharge, which leads to pain.
- The skin is getting wet behind the ears.
- General weakness.
- The temperature can jump, which is difficult to bring down even with antipyretic drugs.
- Inflamed lymph nodes.
- There is pain in the joints.
- Crusts on ears that itch.
- Ulcers may appear on the body.
If the disease develops on the background of a tuberculosis infection, then the following symptoms are added:
- Chills and fever.
- Weight loss.
- The formation of open wounds on the skin.
The scrofula on the head may develop, the pathological areas itch badly, the pressure of the comb causes the peeling of crusts, under which weeping red skin is visible. Quite often, adults also inflame mucous membranes, which leads to the appearance of rhinitis with purulent secretions, which are not uncommon and the infection penetrates into the cavity of the middle ear.
Treatment can be prescribed only after the diagnosis is clarified and the pathogen is identified. The patient must undergo the following examinations:
- Give a blood test. If scrofula takes place, then the number of eosinophils sharply jumps, but the ESR remains with the leukocytes within the normal range.
With a developing tuberculosis infection, the situation would be the opposite.
- Scraping for histological analysis of affected skin sites.
- Test for sexually transmitted infections, HIV and syphilis.
- Blood biochemistry to assess the condition of the body.
Given that in adults often the culprit is a tubercle bacillus, they send a sample for tuberculosis.
If you do not find the cause of scrofula and do not eliminate it, then get rid of the symptoms of pathology will not work.
Treatment in adults
Disease therapy involves the use of drugs, but regardless of the choice of drugs, when the symptoms of scrofula appear, it is important to follow these guidelines:
- In serious cases, do not refuse hospitalization.
- Carefully observe personal hygiene.
- Normalize the mode of work and rest.
- Daily walks in the fresh air.
- Revise the food system: remove smoked and fried foods, sweets, convenience foods, potential allergens.
- Drink enough water throughout the day to improve toxin elimination.
- To eliminate discomfort, clothes should be worn from natural fabrics.
It is not recommended to independently acquire means to get rid of the manifestations of scrofula. Medications and treatment regimen should be prescribed only by a doctor.
Considering all the symptoms of pathology and etiology of origin, the specialist selects a complex of drugs. Usually the patient is prescribed:
- Antihistamines that will relieve allergies or prevent them, as well as eliminate itching. Suitable such drugs: "Fenkrol", "Suprastin", "Zyrtec". The duration of treatment is 5-7 days, 1-2 tablets 2 times a day.
- Do not do with the treatment without the means, possessing regenerating properties. Bepanten, Panthenol, Solcoseryl and others fall into this category. Such funds can be used in long courses for 2-3 weeks.
- If antihistamines do not cope with itching, then special antipruritic drugs are prescribed on a hormonal basis: "" Advantan "," Comfoderm "," Fucidin ". But taking such drugs is not recommended for more than three days.
It is necessary to treat scrofula not only by ingestion, but also by external means. They help to quickly get rid of the symptoms of pathology. The following ointments are considered to be the most effective with antiseptic properties:
- "Zinc". Removes inflammation, has an antiseptic effect, has a drying effect. But it should be borne in mind, if initially the skin of a person is dry, then use the tool is not recommended.
- "Tsindol". An excellent remedy for getting rid of weeping wounds.
- "Sinaflan". Hormonal drug, therefore, the duration of use should not exceed more than 10 days.
If scrofula is triggered by a tuberculosis infection, the sores will not disappear from smearing them with ointments and taking antihistamines. We'll have to agree on a thorough hospital treatment. The patient must be prescribed:
- Antibacterial agents.
- Vitamin preparations injections.
- Reception of therapeutic baths.
The duration of therapy will be at least a month, then a re-examination is carried out with all the analyzes.
With a severely depleted body and non-compliance with the recommendations of the doctors, there is a risk that scrofula recurs even after complete cure.
To get rid of the unpleasant symptoms of the disease as soon as possible, you can add the use of folk remedies to help with drug therapy. Among the fairly effective are the following:
- Ointment of 400 grams of mutton fat, 100 grams of charcoal, the same amount of flax oil and 50 grams of red brick. The resulting mixture is used for compresses overnight on the affected areas.
- When weeping wounds can be grated laundry soap, pour a little water to obtain a mixture of thickness as sour cream and add a tablespoon of wood ash. Thoroughly mix and treat the damaged skin on the ears and other areas.
- Mint is considered an effective remedy. A tablespoon of chopped herbs pour 200 ml of boiling water, insist for half an hour and take 4 times a tablespoon. If after a week of improvements unnoticed, you can use the composition to wipe the affected areas.
- Chop cabbage, add 2 tablespoons of milk to a glass, boil two hundred and boil for 5 minutes. Add bran to the mixture to make gruel, which must be applied for half an hour to flaky skin in the morning and evening.
- Prepare a healing tea from a glass of boiling water and a teaspoon of calendula flowers. You can add honey to the cooled product. Take in the mornings and evenings.
If folk remedies are used in the treatment of scrofula, then they should be applied for two weeks, and then take a break. Before starting such therapy, it is necessary to discuss this issue with your doctor.
Scrofula may aggravate the course of existing chronic diseases. There is a high probability that a secondary infection will be introduced when combing the affected areas.
If the pathology is caused by a tubercle bacillus, then there can be quite serious complications, including:
- Blurred cornea.
- Purulent discharge from the ears.
- Hearing problems.
- The formation of scars and scars in place of ulcerative wounds.
- The danger of the spread of Koch sticks to other organs.
In addition, against the background of scrofula, the tendency to bronchitis, pneumonia, rhinitis often begins to disturb.
Do not immediately panic if symptoms of scrofula are found. Pathology is quite successfully treated, even if caused by mycobacteria. The main thing is to fulfill the requirements of doctors and undergo a course of treatment until the end.
Even children between the ages of 12 and 14 years suffer from scrofula less often than preschool children, and adults hardly get such a diagnosis at all — doctors speak much more often of skin tuberculosis. This is a whole group of dermatoses, which arise predominantly against the background of already transferred or chronic tuberculosis of the internal organs, or are the result of the activity of the tubercular sticks. Zolotuha in adults manifests itself in almost the same way as in children, starting with slight itching and redness of the skin in the area of the ear folds. After the same observed:
- general deterioration of health, characterized by fever (up to subfebrile values - 37.1-38 degrees), muscle weakness, lethargy,
- dense yellow crusts that form at the site of peeling and inflammation, hiding the purple smooth dermis,
- discharge with an admixture of pus in the affected areas (if combed) caused by infection of the wound,
- deep cracks next to scabs, growing very slowly and giving off pain when touched,
- large wounds in the affected area, in which pus accumulates,
- inflammation of the lymph nodes of the cervical spine, which, in the absence of timely treatment, entails sinusitis, otitis,
- weight loss,
- chills, fever (as the disease progresses),
- the transition of areas of irritation and inflammation from the ear folds to the face,
- arthralgia (joint pain).
Due to the fact that doctors continue to study the etiology of the appearance of scrofula (and therefore 2 types of skin diseases refer to this name: tuberculosis and diathesis), all the reasons listed below are not the only true ones. It is possible to speak about the prerequisites for its formation from 2 positions, but the hypothesis of the relationship between scrofula and dermatitis wins, therefore, the most likely causes of the disease include:
- contact with potential allergens (dust, animal dander, pollen, household chemicals),
- excessive consumption of sweets, especially children
- frequent introduction of citrus, carbonated drinks, chocolate (the main food allergens) to the diet,
- improperly selected cosmetics for baby skin care (shampoos, lotions, gels).
The role of heredity is not denied: the newborn scrofula will manifest itself with a high probability if her parents have been ill with it. Additionally, the situation is exacerbated by infections that the expectant mother suffered when she was carrying a child, late pregnancy, alcohol or drug intoxication at the time of conception. Scaffolds are also considered to be possible prerequisites:
- unsanitary conditions in which a person stays for a long time,
- unbalanced nutrition, creating a deficiency of vitamins (especially vitamin D), minerals, trace elements, especially in childhood,
- artificial feeding (in the picture of statistical data on infant morbidity, the majority of patients who had had scrofula did not receive breast milk in childhood),
- premature birth of the child, intrauterine developmental disorders of the fetus.
The relationship of scrofula with tuberculosis is disputed, since the latter occurs when infected with a Koch wand, and scrofula - as a result of the activity of the tubercle sticks related to it. The disease may develop due to a decrease in the immunity provoked by tuberculosis, but it will not cause it. In addition, the role of autoimmune diseases, oncological, pathologies of the nervous system and endocrine can play a role. It is only in all these situations that scrofula acts as a consequence, and not as the root cause, and continues to be primarily a skin disease.
The prognosis of treatment of scrofula in children is favorable, if the therapeutic measures were taken in a timely manner, and selected - correctly. Complications are rare, but for the youngest they are very difficult: a weakened immunity becomes an easy target for infections, so the child is sick more often, and in some situations, there are lesions of the outer and middle ear.
How to treat scrofula
The fight against the disease begins through the elimination of provocative factors (mainly allergens), which are some foods - chicken eggs, chocolate, white bread, citrus fruits, whole milk and its derivatives. The apartment should be a daily airing and wet cleaning. The treatment has 3 goals:
- eliminate the cause of the rash,
- normalize the general condition of the patient,
- restore the skin.
Scruffy disease, according to doctors, is tightly connected with the state of immunity and metabolism, so taking vitamin complexes will not be superfluous (according to indications). The patient should drink plenty of clean water, regularly go out into the fresh air. The skin is systematically treated with oil compositions that promote healing.
All the medicines that the doctor selects for a therapeutic regimen are not aimed at the treatment of scrofula, but at eliminating its symptoms, since there is no specific drug for this disease. Topically, antiseptic solutions (Miramistin) and ointments that block the inflammatory process (zinc, ichthyol) are applied. Additionally appointed:
- Antihistamines (Suprastin, Fenkrol, Parlazin) with allergic etiology scrofula have antipruritic effect and relieve other manifestations of allergy. Accepted by mouth, weekly course.
- Regenerating agents (Bepanten, Panthenol, Actovegin) help to speed up the healing of the affected areas, they are used for a long time - up to 3 weeks.
- Hormonal drugs with antipruritic effect of local action (Fucidin, Advantan, Komfoderm) in the form of ointments are used in a short course only in the absence of the effect of other funds.
- Enterosorbents (Smecta, Enterosgel), helping to remove toxins from the body and cope with symptoms of general intoxication.
If, according to the test results, the doctor sees the activity of Staphylococcus aureus, tubercle sticks, the antibacterial drugs for systemic treatment can supplement the therapeutic scheme. Often appointed Streptomycin, Ciprofloxacin, Rifampicin, but the specific names should be called a doctor. Mostly in the treatment of scrofula use:
- Baneocin - ointment or powder on a mixture of bacitracin and neomycin, a broad-spectrum antibacterial agent. It has a bactericidal effect, inhibits protein synthesis of bacteria. He is appointed for infectious and inflammatory skin diseases, the application is topical. The powder is applied locally up to 4 r / day, ointment - up to 3 r / day, not more than 200 g per day. The duration of treatment is a week. It is well-tolerated; it may locally cause allergic reactions. It is not prescribed for intolerance to aminoglycosides.
- Fukortsin - an antiseptic drug in the form of a solution, is prescribed for the treatment of abrasions, cracks, erosion, pustular skin diseases. It is created on boric acid, resorcinol and phenol. The solution suppresses inflammation, dries, does not apply on open wounds, is applied locally with a cotton swab (do not pass over a large area) up to 4 r / day. Adverse reactions only local: itching, burning. Contraindication is pregnancy.
- Fencarol - on Hifenadine, a blocker of the H1-histamine receptors, has anti-allergic and antipruritic effect. The drug is prescribed for any skin manifestations of allergic reactions, but is prohibited during pregnancy. Tablets are taken after a meal, 50 mg to 4 r / day, washed down with warm water. The duration of treatment can be up to 3 weeks. Adverse reactions - drowsiness, nausea.
Treatment of scrofula in children behind the ears
The smallest in the treatment regimen do not focus on heavy medications: often the baby cinchus passes after local application of natural anti-inflammatory drugs, but it all depends on the reason for its occurrence.If a baby has not been diagnosed with a more serious illness, then parents should take the following measures:
- Adjust the diet if the baby is already weaned and transferred to “adult” foods. Leave in the menu only porridges boiled in water and vegetables, 3-4 p / week, give lean boiled meat, sea fish. It is especially important to temporarily remove all sweets and fatty foods.
- Lubricate the peeling behind the ears of a child every day (2-3 p / day) with natural plant (base) oils that have anti-inflammatory properties and stimulate skin skin regeneration. The best in this issue is recognized sea buckthorn.
- Control the routine of the baby's day - frequent walks in the fresh air are important, and contacts with a TV or computer are minimized. Additionally, keep track of the child's sleep at the 8 o'clock position.
- If necessary (discussed with the doctor) let the child drink a course of vitamin-mineral complexes.
Drug treatment is prescribed only in difficult situations, when, subject to the above recommendations, there is no positive dynamics, the disease continues to progress. Do not try to find the drugs yourself! There is no specific preparation, therefore the doctor is guided by a clinical picture and results of analyzes. Widely used antibiotics broad-spectrum antihistamines:
- Rifampicin is active against streptococci, Staphylococcus aureus, the causative agent of tuberculosis, affects the cells of the pathogenic microorganism from the inside and outside, killing it, is prescribed when scrofula (otitis) complications appear, suspicion of tuberculosis, attachment of secondary bacterial infections. Tablets or capsules are taken one hour before meals, the dosage is determined by the doctor (orientation - 10 mg / kg). The drug can be mixed with applesauce. In infants, rifampicin is not used. In exchange daily intake is well tolerated.
- Zodak is a blocker of H1-histamine receptors on cetirizine, has antipruritic effect, reduces capillary permeability, relieves edema, is prescribed for the allergic nature of pathology. Children are allowed from one year old at a dosage of 2.5 mg with a frequency of 2 p / day. Tablets washed down with plenty of water. Zodak is not used for hypersensitivity to the composition, does not cause adverse reactions (very rarely - drowsiness, dry mouth). The effect after treatment lasts 3 days.
Measures to prevent the appearance of scrofula in a child almost completely coincide with the recommendations of the general therapeutic scheme: nutrition control (to limit the amount of white bread, sweets, citrus) and the daily regimen help to prevent illness. Additionally important:
- pay attention to personal hygiene,
- do not wear synthetic clothes,
- walk regularly in the open air,
- monitor the level of vitamins A, E, D,
- newborns to breastfeed for at least a year.
Frequent symptoms of scrofula in adults and toddlers
It is not easy to diagnose the disease, its symptoms are very similar to the manifestation of atopic dermatitis. Some experts believe that scrofula is associated with tuberculous lesion of the skin, while others prefer to consider it with a special form of diathesis.
Most often, this disease occurs in young children under the age of ten years and is the primary stage of atopic dermatitis. Scrofula is not an infection. This means that it is impossible to get infected from a sick child, and there is no need to exclude a sick baby from society.
The disease affects the skin around the ears, and can also occur on the head, face, neck, limbs. As the scrofula behind the ears in small children manifests, and in adults it can be seen in the numerous photos below.
There are two forms of this disease:
Torpid (sluggish) the type is characterized by pale skin, weak muscular system, abdominal distention, activity in the child decreases, appetite disappears, frequent diarrhea is possible. Have eretic type pallor of integuments, their blueness, children suffer from thinness, are notable for increased activity, susceptibility to pain.
The disease begins to develop with peeling skin, itching is severe. At first, the size of the lesions is small, but after a while they begin to grow. The skin of the head and behind the ears is covered with so-called “scrofulous” crusts. These are spots of whitish-gray color. It is surprising that only the skin under the hair, the hairs themselves, their structure, remain unchanged.
When a disease occurs in children, the following symptoms appear:
- Under the hair on the head and behind the ears, redness and diaper rash grow, which then dry out and become crusts.
- Itching of the skin brings significant discomfort to the child. Baby combs the skin with his hand and shakes his head on the pillow to get rid of the itch.
- Usually, the disease is localized on the head and behind the ears of the child, but if the treatment is not started on time, skin on the face and other parts of the body may be affected.
In addition to these symptoms, the following may be observed:
- digestion is broken,
- may swell tummy,
- lymph nodes in the neck are enlarged,
- nasal discharge, pus,
- tearing, red eyes,
- hearing loss is possible, both in an adult and in a child,
- sometimes convulsions occur.
How does scrofula behind the ears manifest in adults?
Scrofula is considered a childhood disease. In adults, it is much less common than in children. The doctor in this case can make a diagnosis - skin tuberculosis.
Symptoms of scrofula in adults:
- Cervical lymph nodes are enlarged,
- Joints ache and swell up,
- Ears are covered with wounds that start to fester,
- Itching appears
- The affected area behind the ears peels off.
- Ulcers and wounds may also appear on the body.
Why does scrofula arise
Doctors can not name the exact causes of this disease in children. There are several hypotheses:
- Being a child in unsanitary conditions, neglecting hygiene (bathing),
- Failure to eat: too much sweets, lack of vitamins,
- Early weaning of the baby from the breast, feeding with milk of animal origin,
- Children born to middle-aged parents
- The presence of the following diseases in the history of parents: syphilis or tuberculosis.
- The causative agent can get to the child through the mother's womb, if during pregnancy a woman recovers from this disease.
It is noticed that children suffering from sweating, suffer from scrofula more often than other children. Along with unfavorable factors, excessive sweating can be the cause of the disease.
Ways to treat the disease
There are many ways to treat this disease. It will help to cure the disease medication therapy, traditional medicine. In severe cases, treatment of scrofula requires hospitalization and stay in a hospital. Treatment of the disease should be comprehensive. The course of the disease without complications is treated under the following conditions:
- Compliance with the child.
- Frequent stay outside.
- Strict adherence to hygiene requirements.
- Exception from the child's nutrition toasted, smoked, fatty foods, allergens, fast foods.
- Plentiful drink, which helps to remove harmful substances from the patient's body.
- Lubrication of the skin with oily and healing creams.
- It is better to wear a child in clothes made from natural natural fabrics (cotton, viscose and others), synthetics cause unpleasant
sensations and contributes to rubbing the skin.
- It is important to normalize the allergenic background at the onset of the disease and stick to the diet for a long time after recovery.
- It is necessary to normalize the metabolism
Climate change, improved living conditions, the inclusion of vitamin C, A and vitamin D in the diet can also help.
How to treat with medicines
Treatment involves the restoration and strengthening of the body, getting rid of discomfort. To cope with the disease will help the following drugs:
- zinc based ointment
- bepanten ointment,
- fukortsin (in advanced cases, they burn the affected skin)
- enterosorbents (for example: smecta, neosmectin), contributing to the removal of toxins and toxins.
All ointments have a different healing effect. For example, zinc and sudokrem dry well moist places, then the crust will be easier to remove. But if the skin is dry and there are cracks, you can not use a drying ointment. Over-dried skin needs to be moisturized, Bepanten can handle it. In addition to ointments, you can wipe the inflamed areas with infusions and decoctions of medicinal herbs.
Sometimes the cause of the disease is staphylococcus, the pyocyanic stick. In this case, antibiotic therapy is prescribed, which must be combined with local treatment. It is very important not to self-medicate and not endanger the health of your child. Any drugs can be used only after prescription.
How to help traditional medicine
Traditional medicine can help get rid of the external manifestations of this disease. To cope with the disease help:
- decoctions of chamomile flowers,
- infusions of oak bark,
- You can take a bath with the leaves of coltsfoot, yarrow, succession, or with calamus rhizomes,
- and other plants.
Affected sites are advised to lubricate the oils of tea tree.
In ancient times, people also often used magic. They read certain conspiracies, thereby believing that it would completely cure the disease. Some grandmothers have long believed that you can get rid of the disease if you wear gold earrings. But this is not proven, and many people do not believe in it and do it right. Do you need too much trust in traditional medicine, you decide.
Currently, medicine is doing an excellent job with this ailment, and resorting to folk methods is illogical and stupid. Although herbal teas and infusions of herbs can cope with the initial stage of the disease. Completely cure scrofula is a snap. To do this, follow all instructions of the doctor and strictly follow the recommendations.
CHECK YOUR HEALTH:
It does not take a lot of time, as a result, you will have an idea about your health.
What is scrofula in adults and children behind the ears: symptoms and signs of the disease
Important: Zolotuha is a non-infectious skin disease. The disease affects children under 10 years of age, almost never occurs in adults.
Manifestations of scrofula are similar to atopic dermatitis. However, the diagnosis of this disease is much more difficult. The fact is that some experts associate scrofula with a tuberculous lesion, while others consider scrofula a form of diathesis.
Scrofula in children behind the ears
- The very first sign of scrofula is the formation of diaper rash behind the ears, as well as on the scalp. Subsequently, the redness takes on a different shape: yellowish crusts
- The affected places are very itchy. A child can constantly tear apart sore spots with a hand or fidget head on a pillow to relieve itching.
- The place of localization of scrofula is behind the ears and on the head. If you do not treat the disease, the area of the rash can spread to the face.
In addition to yellowish crusts and itching, you can observe the following symptoms of scrofula:
- Discharge from the nose and ears
- Inflammation of the lymph nodes in the neck
- Soreness and swelling of joints
- Red eyes
Zolotuha is a common national name for childhood illness, similar to manifestations of diathesis. Children of preschool and primary school age are ill with it, in adults it practically does not occur.
The name of the disease was due to the similarity of the crusts behind the ears (the main symptom of skin disease) with gold. Crusts have a pale yellow color. It can be assumed that scrofula is the ancient name for allergic dermatitis.
At the moment, the diagnosis of scrofula practically does not occur.
An interesting fact: in the old days it was believed that the king could cure scrof by touching his hand and conspiracy: "The king will touch you, the Lord will heal you." The latest data on this method of treatment is dated 1825.
Causes of development
In essence, this is an allergic reaction, manifestations of atopic dermatitis, or skin irritation from sweating, since the rashes are localized mainly behind the ears.
The initial stage of atopic dermatitis, which grandmothers like to call the romantic word “scrofula”, treatment implies anti-allergic therapy itself.
You need to be able to distinguish exudative diathesis and scrofulosis:
- Exudative diathesis is a congenital propensity for the manifestation of allergic reactions. Allergen can be food, detergent, medicine, animal hair, and so on. In children, the pathology is accompanied by lesions of the mucous membranes and characteristic skin rashes, and the symptoms of scrofula in adults are complemented by allergic rhinitis.
- Scrofula causes tuberculosis bacteria.
The disease in both cases needs treatment. The first step in successful therapy is to identify symptoms.
If we assume that atopic dermatitis is the basis of scrofula, then the cause of the disease is contact with the allergen. Most often their role is played by:
- improper diet (eating chocolate, citrus, soda),
- early introduction to lure sweets,
- cosmetic skin care products,
- household chemicals (powders, cleaning products, detergents),
- dust and pet hair.
The scrofulous rashes can also appear due to irritation of the tender skin behind the ears afterwards. Increased hyperhidrosis can be caused by hyperthreading (wrapping a child), as well as serious systemic diseases and reduced immunity:
- tuberculosis - hence the myth about the similarity of scrofula and scrofuloderma in tuberculosis,
- oncological diseases,
- neuro-endocrine pathologies,
- vasculitis, anemia.
Premature and weakened babies living in unfavorable living conditions and lagging behind are susceptible to the disease.
Symptoms of scrofula in adults
The main symptom of scrofula is the appearance of scrofulous peel - a painless mass on the neck, which increases with time. This mass is called “cold abscess”, it is not accompanied by an increase in body temperature, and the skin acquires a purple and bluish-purple hue.
If the development of the disease is caused by non-tuberculous mycobacteria, then, as a rule, no other symptoms are observed. However, the following symptoms are characteristic of the tuberculous form:
Sometimes scrofula in adults shows the appearance of golden crusts behind the ears, which can also be localized on the scalp and on the face.
At the same time, patients suffer from severe itching in the area of these crusts. And if, while combing, the crust is peeled off, then under it a weeping smooth surface of red-pink color is found.
Inflammation of the mucous membranes is also possible. At the same time, inflammation of the mucous membranes causes a constant runny nose with purulent discharge. Often affected eardrums and middle ear.
The earliest and most important symptoms of scrofula are redness of the skin behind the ears, on the head and on other parts of the body. Apparently, the very name of the disease stuck because the wounds and sores in the patient have a kind of golden hue.
You should know that when the first symptoms of scrofula, you should immediately seek qualified medical assistance, because this disease can cause serious complications.
The neglected form of scrofula can cause the appearance of dangerous diseases, with untimely treatment, the child can even become infected with tuberculosis.
As a rule, scrofula is accompanied by severe itching of the affected areas of the skin, but you cannot allow the child to scratch the wounds in any case, since this can cause the spread of infection throughout the body.
In the treatment of scrofula, the most important thing is to eliminate the effects of provoking factors. It is not always immediately possible to understand what caused the symptoms of the disease.
Therefore, in the first place, the child is transferred to a diet. Exclude:
- fatty, salty, fried,
- orange-red fruits and vegetables,
- whole milk based products
All food must be cooked and stewed. Be sure to follow the drinking regime (compote of dried fruit, tea, water).
The main symptom of this disease is the appearance of large pockets of rash of various colors. The main signs of scrofula are usually considered to be the strongest itch on the scalp and behind the ears.
Inflammation of the lymph nodes is another symptom of this disease. Also on the body of the child may appear yellowish crusts.
In adults, the symptoms of this disease may be slightly different. First, the skin of an adult can become purple or bluish-purple.
Secondly, tuberculosis form of scrofula can occur with symptoms such as fever, general weakness, chills and loss of body weight. As the disease progresses, open wounds may form.
Thirdly, adults may experience inflammation of the mucous membranes, causing the appearance of a runny nose with purulent secretions. Finally, in an adult as well as in a child, there appear golden crusts behind the ears, on the face and scalp.
Treatment of this disease should be started as early as possible, otherwise it threatens with severe complications. Прежде всего, следует обеспечить больному нормальные бытовые условия и здоровое рациональное питание.
The diet should include a large amount of vitamins A, B, C and D. It is also recommended to limit the consumption of meat products, eat more fresh vegetables and fruits.
Drugs are prescribed, the action of which is aimed at normalizing metabolic processes in the body, as well as antibiotics. Gold-colored crusts are oiled to prevent cracks.
In some cases, surgical treatment is indicated. Patients are recommended to walk more in the fresh air, to be from excessive mental and physical exertion.
Promotes the speedy recovery of the maritime climate.
Oral and parenteral means
Difficult options require exposure from the inside. For this purpose, antiallergic (Zodak, Suprastin) agents are used, and in special cases - hormonal.
Independent assignment of any therapeutic methods to a child can hurt him very much. You can not count on the "chance": any signs of scrofula is better to show the doctor. Especially if home treatment for one or two days turned out to be ineffective.
Scrofula behind the ears is treated with medicines, but this does not mean that it is impossible to speed up the process and bring the moment of complete recovery closer. To this end, developed folk therapy methods:
- You can make the ointment yourself. To do this, mix the lamb fat, crushed charcoal, linseed oil and crushed red brick in the proportions 8: 2: 2: 1. Ointment should be treated with normal gauze, which can be applied periodically to the affected skin.
- Healing baths are a great way to get rid of itching and redness. In the water, you can add a decoction of chamomile, elecampane, violets, viburnum or train. Dried plants should be purchased at the pharmacy and brew according to the instructions. These broths can be used for lotions.
- For the preparation of the next broth, a tablespoon of dried nettle is poured 250 ml of boiling water. Next, the liquid is brought to a boil and left on the stove for a quarter of an hour. You can use only the cooled drink, filtered through cheesecloth and a sieve. This broth should be taken 3 times a day, previously divided into equal parts.
- Cotton swab dipped in pharmacy alcohol tincture of lavender, effectively eliminates the rash. It must be laid in the ear 2 times a day.
- Drinking some juices relieves symptoms more successfully than medication. Such wonderful drinks include birch sap, carrots or turnips.
- A decoction of a tablespoon of fresh mint effectively eliminates not only the symptoms, but also the focus of diathesis. To prepare you need to chop the mint, pour 250 ml of boiling water and leave for 30 minutes. Broth is taken on a tablespoon four times a day. The duration of treatment is 1 week. After that, the fluid can periodically process the affected areas.
- Calendula drink saves from diathesis. Half a teaspoon of dry raw materials need to pour a glass of boiling water and leave for half an hour. For taste, you can add a spoonful of honey. You need to drink this tea twice a day.
- Daily compresses from any vegetable oil will help to quickly eliminate scrofulous symptoms.
In addition, how to treat pathology, some parents are interested in whether it is passed from child to child, for example, on the playground. Normal children's diathesis cannot be transmitted from person to person, which is not the case with scrofula.
In any case, the disease should not be allowed to take its course - scrapping should be treated quickly and comprehensively.
Having a whole closet so beloved shoes, you have to walk in shapeless moccasins and trampled ballet shoes. And the whole thing in bulging bones on his feet, which bring just unbearable pain in general in any shoe. It is worth putting on a little more dense shoes than moccasins on the size more than the size - and the inflammation lasts a few more days. How to deal with bones on the legs, read our material.
Scrofula ointment behind the ears
- Zinc ointment
- Each ointment has the desired effect, so it should be selected wisely. Zinc ointment and Sudokrem, for example, dry crusts well. Dry crusts are easier to remove. Also need to dry soak.
- But if the affected areas of scrofula are dry, some cracks have formed, then in no case should you use a drying ointment. In this case, the skin needs to be moisturized. Well cope with this task Bepanten.
In some cases, cauterization of the affected skin areas with fucorcin is necessary. Fukortsin - a drug that has an antimicrobial effect. It has a raspberry color. Cauterization may cause burning for a short time.
Causes of scrofula
Talking about skrofuloze or scrofulous, doctors mean the skin form of tuberculosis, as well as tuberculosis of the lymph nodes and mucous membranes. The disease occurs due to the spread of mycobacteria (tubercle sticks) from the lungs through blood and lymph to other organs and systems of the body.
The following signs are characteristic of this form of scrofula:
- appearance on the skin small transparent with a yellowish tinge of bubblessometimes covered with dry scales
- marked increase in lymph nodes
- ulcers or scabs behind the earsformed after breakthrough abscesses under the skin,
- noticeable weight loss
- excessive sweating
- increased temperature over time (subfebrile condition).
The final diagnosis is confirmed after bacteriological and histological analyzes.
This variant of scrofula begins with the appearance of a tight knot behind the ears. Sometimes it appears under the lower jaw, above the collarbone or on the side of the neck. Over time, the tumor becomes larger and grows together with nearby tissues. After the formation of a fistula, the node itself opens, a large amount of pus is released from it. Then the ulcer heals, in its place there are ugly scars of purple or dark red color.
How and what to treat exudative diathesis at home
Therapy of exudative diathesis or scrofula begins with the identification and subsequent elimination of those factors that cause an allergic reaction. Sometimes it is enough to exclude from the everyday menu sweet dishes, fatty and fried foods, smoked meats, and carbonated drinks, so that the patient's condition improves markedly.
Important! It is strictly forbidden to people suffering from the manifestations of scrofula, eat fast food. A variety of chips, hamburgers, french fries and similar dishes, even as a one-time snack, can provoke an exacerbation and negate the positive changes in the treatment of the disease.
The key to success in treating scrofula in adults is improvement of living conditions. This implies a sufficient illumination of the room, favorable temperature conditions, good ventilation of the room, daily wet cleaning, the presence of gardening (it is better to use plants actively emitting phytonicides for this purpose). From the patient requires careful observance of the rules of personal hygiene.
Photo 1. Various cereals are mandatory in the diet in the treatment of scrofula for a balanced healthy diet.
The clothes of the patient should be whenever possible from natural fabrics, synthetics only aggravates discomfort. The same goes for bed linen.
Attention! Wearing wool, fleece is strictly contraindicated.
Very important is a balanced diet in the treatment of scrofula. The diet of a sick person should certainly include various cereals (very healthy oatmeal), fish, lean meat, natural freshly prepared juices (carrot and beetroot), fruits, vegetables, leafy greens and other foods rich in microelements and vitamins A, B, C, D, E. Fish oil is welcome.
Reasonable will be measures aimed at strengthening the overall immunity (hardening, physical therapy).
Salt or pine baths can be prescribed as an additional therapy and treatment.
It is also important to observe the regime of work and rest, sufficient time to be in the fresh air, to take sun baths in reasonable quantities.
Therapy of exudative diathesis with the help of medications
Science is not aware of a specific cure for scrofula. However, there are a lot of tools that can suppress the activity of pathogens, strengthen the immune system, eliminate itching.
Photo 2. The drug Loratadin, 10 tablets of 10 mg from the manufacturer of OAO Tatkhimpharmpreparaty.
Most often, the following drugs are prescribed for the treatment of scrofula:
- broad-spectrum antibiotics (in the event that staphylococcal or pseudo-purulent infection joins the general course of the disease),
- antihistamines ("Loratodin", "Zodak", "Suprastin", etc.),
- chelators to eliminate body intoxication (such as activated carbon, Enterosgel, Smekta, Polysorb and others),
- immunostimulating drugs (tincture of Echinacea, Immunal, Thiamin),
- probiotics for the normalization of intestinal microflora ("Acipol", "Bifidumbacterin", "Linex" and the like),
- successfully applied to local treatment steroid drugs(Hydrocortisone cream 1% or Prednisone ointment 0.5%), “Bepanten” or zinc ointment is quite suitable as non-hormonal drugs,
- multivitamin preparations.
If a large area is affected, then it is worthwhile to apply washing with the help of furatsilina solution.
Important! Duration of drug treatment, the need and dosage of taking antibiotics and vitamin complexes determines only the doctor. To self-medicate in this case would be extremely unwise.
Traditional medicine to cure the disease in adults
Well proven as a means to cure the symptoms of exudative diathesis, infusions of medicinal herbs. They have an anti-inflammatory effect and help reduce the allergic reaction. Apply strained herbal infusions can be either inside (in very moderate quantities) or externally - as lotions, baths, rubbing.
Photo 3. Oak bark is a medicinal product, suitable for preparing infusions for the purpose of treating a disease.
The following medicinal plants can be used for preparing infusions:
- oak bark,
- violet tricolor,
- black currant (leaves).
For use inside the well suitable decoction of mountain ash and wild rose. For its preparation is placed in a thermos on one tablespoon of dried berries, pour boiling water and infuse for one to two hours. The resulting infusion take half an hour before meals four times a day, one tablespoon.
A wonderful tool in the treatment of scrofula in children and adults - use decoction of dry grass celandine (in the form of washes, baths, lotions).
Methods for the treatment of scrofula
Appointment of drugs aimed at the treatment of scrofula, is made only by a TB doctor.
Photo 4. The drug Isoniazid tablets and suspensions from the manufacturer "Biotech".
The following anti-TB drugs are recommended for use:
Reference! It should be remembered that taking medicines in the presence of a specific infection in the body will take a long time, and in advanced cases - about a year.
It is possible to treat the place with the help of dermatol ointment, lotions of etakridina lactate. If fistulas are formed on the surface of an abscess, then iodoform emulsion is put into their moves.
Sometimes the affected surface must be affected by radio waves or X-rays. In some cases, such procedures as cryodestruction and diathermocoagulation are prescribed. If necessary, produce a surgical intervention aimed at excision of the surface of the abscess and its treatment with antiseptic solutions.
Fans of naturopathy strongly recommend three to four times a day to lubricate the parts of the skin that are affected during scrofula celandine juice (effectively use and fresh juice, and canned).
Excellent effect in the treatment of scrofula gives the use of ointment from celandine. For its preparation, heat a mixture of ten tablespoons of lard and one tablespoon of chopped dry celandine until a homogeneous mass is obtained.
After cooling the obtained product at room temperature, a glass jar of ointment is removed in a refrigerator where it can be stored for six months. It is necessary to smear the affected skin with such a means twice a day.
When the aggravation has passed, the sanatorium-resort treatment will be the best way to further combat the disease.
What is the danger of scrofula
Do not underestimate the cunning of the disease of scrofula. It does not just interfere with enjoying life. Left without timely treatment of scrofula often leads to damage to the ears and eyes (up to the development of irreversible processes). The most common complications include corneal clouding, keratoconjunctivitis, and a decrease or complete loss of hearing.
There is no "trivial" diseases. To ignore such, at first glance, frivolous ailment, like scrofula, is unacceptable.
Launched forms of this disease not only significantly reduce the quality of life, but may well become cause of disability.
It should be noted that the greatest effect in eliminating the manifestations of scrofula is achieved only if treatment was started in a timely manner, was carried out under the strict supervision of a doctor, successfully combined the achievements of official medicine and proven folk remedies for centuries.
What are the reasons for the disease?
To provoke such a skin disease can any specific allergens, for example, wool or feathers of pets, dust, as well as any means of household chemicals or cosmetics for care. In children, the cause of scrofula behind the ears (the photo is not attached due to an unaesthetic appearance) may be, for example, the early introduction of sweets into the diet, as well as the use of harmful products or citrus fruits. In very young children, scrofula may be formed due to excessive sweating, which may be associated with excessive wrapping, as well as with a decrease in immunity. If we talk about children, then first of all the risk group includes weakened, premature babies, as well as those who are far behind in development or live in unsanitary conditions.
Currently, scrofula is commonly understood as an infectious disease of skin localization caused by a tuberculate. The name it received due to the appearance of a rash with a gold coating. Crusts have a yellowish tint. From a medical point of view, the disease resembles allergic dermatitis. The highest incidence of damage in children under the age of 9-11 years old (at risk - preschoolers and younger students). Adults get sick several times less.
The pathogenesis of scrofula includes the appearance of rashes of irregular shape behind the auricles or in the hairline. Later they turn into a noticeable patina of golden color, accompanied by itching and scaling. Often, the child to the blood tears the affected skin. In case of improper treatment, the lesions have a peculiarity of switching to the front. The first signs have some similarities with deprived. As one of the tasks of dermatology is the distinction between signs and clarification of the diagnosis. The symptoms of scrofula, distinguishing it from other diseases, include the preservation of hair on the head and the possible expansion of lymph nodes.
Folk treatment scrofula
Along with the traditional treatment can be used traditional methods. Herbal medicine helps to quickly get rid of golden crusts, relieve itching and inflammation, prevent the formation of deep wounds.
Affected areas can be lubricated 5-6 times a day with infusion of chamomile, calendula, sage, yarrow, succession. To prepare the infusion, you need to brew UF. with a hill of dry crushed raw materials a glass of boiling water, leave for 2 hours. Strain the affected skin with the filtered solution.
For ingestion should prepare a decoction of a mixture of chamomile, series, elecampane, and nettle. All ingredients are taken in equal proportions, mixed in one container. Then 1 tbsp. Medicinal raw materials are brewed with a glass of boiling water, infused for 1-2 hours and take one-third a glass of filtered broth 30 minutes before meals 3 times a day.
Where to go?
Therapy of scrofula of absolutely all types must be carried out after consultation with a pediatrician, dermatologist, allergist. Allergic scrofula may help to heal by detecting the allergen, changing the menu, eliminating certain substances. In the diet include foods containing vitamins, trace elements, exclude food-allergens.
The active element of "Bepanthen" - dexpanthenol, it improves the metabolism of the skin, promotes the rapid restoration of the skin. Medication is prescribed to relieve inflammation, peeling, scabies with scrofula (dermatitis). This remedy for scrofs behind the ears in adults and toddlers helps well. The ointment is slightly rubbed into the skin behind the ears, on the face, in the perineum, and in other affected areas. The operation is repeated once or twice a day.
Contraindications to the use of "Bepanthen" is considered personal intolerance to the drug. В исключительных случаях при нанесении крема появляется раздражение и аллергическая красная сыпь (крапивница).Overdose does not appear when using Bepanthen; the time frame for using the drug is not defined.
Medication has a complex composition. The main functioning element is zinc oxide. The cream softens the skin, removes irritability, dries and anesthetizes the affected skin areas. The drug helps to restore the dermis, disinfects, protects against pathogenic microorganisms and fungi. Cream gently rubbed until the skin does not remain a thin film. It is allowed to apply up to 3-5 times per day. Contraindication to the use is considered to be the personal intolerance of Sudocrema ingredients and purulent infections of the skin. With personal intolerance, irritation, a small rash and redness of the skin are likely.
Medication is used for absolutely all manifestations of scrofula. The functional element of the ointment is zinc oxide. This element is considered an antiseptic, it "dries" the skin and exhibits an astringent effect. Zinc ointment reduces irritability and redness, weakens crusts in the affected areas. Before applying the skin, the skin is washed with clean water and dried. The medicine is applied with a thin layer to the affected areas. The procedure is repeated from 4 to 5-6 times a day. The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor. The maximum duration of zinc ointment therapy is 30 days. Contraindications to the use of the substance are considered signs of personal intolerance to the ointment - hyperemia, irritation and rash.
Topikrem also has this impact. The active elements of the drug are piroctone olamine (octopyrox) and lactic acid. In the case of intractable, severe forms of allergic diathesis, the doctor prescribes hormonal ointments to the patient. A good therapeutic result is provided by Prednisolone Ointment, Sinalar, Oxycort and Lokakorten.