Tips and tricks from a psychologist: what should parents of a hyperactive child do?
If you notice that your child is restless, cannot concentrate on anything for a long period, is not able to always control his actions, is impulsive and scattered, then, most likely, he is hyperactive. Let us examine in detail what is hyperactivity, and whether it is possible to somehow deal with it.
Hyperactivity in children what is it
Even more than thirty years ago, physicians began to attribute increased motor activity to certain diseases, giving it the name “attention deficit disorder) with hyperactivity, that is, ADHD. A hyperactive child has signs of this disease in difficulty concentrating on something, learning and memory. It is also not always easy for such a kid to catch the information that they are trying to convey to him.
Signs and symptoms of a hyperactive baby
As a rule, the main symptoms of increased activity are manifested in children in 2-3 years. However, parents do not always go to a doctor right away - often the first consultation takes place when children start going to school, and it becomes obvious that they have learning difficulties due to ADHD.
- Impulsiveness, tearfulness, emotional instability,
- Anxiety, fussiness, anxiety,
- The lack of an adequate response to the rules of conduct,
- Delay in speech development.
If you observe at least one of the listed symptoms, then this is a serious reason to consult with a specialist. It is possible that the doctor will still reveal hyperactivity in your child - in this case, you will learn how to deal with the symptoms and help the child adapt to society.
Behavior and manifestation of a hyperactive child
Despite the fact that such a kid is always active, he has certain violations in coordination: he often drops some objects, is clumsy, and often breaks things or falls. Often, a child ADHD fills his bumps, gets abrasions and scratches, but does not draw the appropriate conclusions and everything repeats again.
Among other things, the symptoms of ADHD are absent-mindedness, inattention, stubbornness, regular mood swings, aggressiveness, and hot temper. It is noticed that such children often ignore daytime sleep, even in infancy. However, his night sleep can not be called calm. Usually, a hyperactive child attracts attention in public places - he constantly touches something, does not listen to his parents, and shows very emotional reactions.
Causes of hyperactivity
The emergence of ADHD can serve several reasons. Let us consider in more detail the most common of them. Note that each of these reasons is manifested even before the moment of birth.
Changes in the normal lifestyle of a pregnant woman
As you know, the development of the nervous system of the fetus directly depends on what kind of lifestyle the future mother leads. For example, if a woman has bad habits, like smoking, then this can later turn into an ADHD child. Also, problems can occur due to frequent overwork, caused, for example, by hard work. Do not go to the benefit of the baby and regular stress in the life of the expectant mother.
Often, hyperactivity is diagnosed in children of women who have suffered during pregnancy from severe toxemia. In addition, at risk are women who have increased blood pressure during pregnancy. If physicians have identified intrauterine asphyxia in a child, this also increases the likelihood that he will subsequently develop ADHD.
Complications during the birth process
If the childbirth of a woman was complicated by something, then it is possible that her baby will be diagnosed hyperactivity. It can be, as a protracted childbirth, and too fast.
Hyperactive child - signs up to a year
The following signs may be signs of hyperactivity, but this is not at all necessary - true hyperactivity can only be established by a neuropathologist. You should not make such diagnoses without consulting a doctor.
So, possible symptoms:
- Such babies sleep very little even in the first months of life. Despite the fact that their peers at this age are mostly immersed in sleep and are awake only a few hours a day, hyperactive children often do not sleep and can cry for 3-4 hours in a row.
- When their strength is running out and it’s already clearly time to sleep, such babies are beginning to be very naughty and active. They become more excitable, and can calm down only when they are on the hands of the mother, or after a long motion sickness.
- The child demonstrates violent reactions when the situation changes, seeing new faces and hearing loud sounds. Despite the fact that these changes can delight him, along with this, he is even more naughty.
- He sleeps very sensitively, being sensitive to any, even barely audible noise, because of which he can suddenly wake up and have difficulty falling asleep again.
- It is hard for a kid to be carried away by something - he can notice a new toy and almost immediately lose interest in it.
Overactive child: signs 2-3-4 years
- It is difficult for him to concentrate on something, but if he is really carried away by something, then in this case it is not easy to distract him from it.
- It can grab a toy that interested him and immediately discard it, without really considering.
- Such a crumb is usually devoid of a sense of fear - it can jump from a great height, run out onto a busy highway, and the like.
- Asks many questions, but rarely waits for answers, and almost never remembers them.
- It is not easy for him to sit still for several minutes in a row - he begins to show aimless physical activity.
Psychological recommendations for parents
- Positive relationship model. Praise your child whenever he deserves it - pay attention even to very insignificant achievements. As a rule, the child does not accept reproaches, but responds very well to praise. It is important that your relationship is not built on fear, but on complete trust. Let him feel your support in all situations - let him know that you are on his side if he has difficulties, for example in a garden or school. Also try to smooth out any conflicts.
- Schedule. If you want to succeed in raising a hyperactive child, then you should always follow a certain daily routine. Therefore, eating, resting, playing, going to sleep, and so on, should preferably be done at about the same time. Seeing that the child observes the rules, by all means praise him for it. Note that a child with ADHD needs a healthy sleep (at least 7-8 hours) - this will help him to be calmer. In turn, food coloring, excessive consumption of chocolate, salty and spicy foods are undesirable in the diet.
- Comfortable conditions. As you know, the noisy and defiant behavior of the crumbs with hyperactivity is one of the methods of attracting attention. Try to devote more time to the child - help him comprehend new knowledge, play with him. If the child misunderstands some task, in no case be annoyed - just repeat the assignment. It is also desirable that the child is not distracted by anything when he is sitting at classes - for this reason, remove unnecessary gadgets, toys and other unnecessary objects from school from the table. Make sure that he does not overwork.
- Standards of conduct and encouragement. Notice that permissiveness will be to the detriment of your child. He must clearly understand how to act, and how not. You can enter a kind of sign incentive system - for example, tick or a star all good deeds. When a certain number of checkboxes or stars are collected, reward it with some kind of goodies or a toy.
- Excess energy. It will be very good if the hyperactive baby gets carried away with a certain hobby. Of course, it is worth taking into account his interests and what he enjoys. Allow the child to develop in any area - so he will be more confident in himself. Surely, he will benefit from classes in some sports section - physical exercises contribute to the splash of excess energy, as well as help the child learn the discipline.
When do you need medical treatment?
When a child begins to show pronounced signs of hyperactivity, parents are ready to go for any treatment in order to stop it. Nevertheless, it is important to remember that only a specialist can prescribe the necessary treatment. Typically, young patients prescribed certain sedatives - they are selected individually. As a rule, the action of these drugs is directed to reducing irritability and fussiness, normalizing sleep, reducing anxiety and suppressing other symptoms of ADHD. On your own, you cannot determine whether you need medical treatment in your case. It should conduct a comprehensive examination of the child in a medical facility.
What should parents do if a child is hyperactive all the time - advice from a psychologist
Many parents do not know what to do with their hyperactive child and how to correct his behavior. It is worth noting that only a specialist must prescribe a course of treatment, because each case of ADHD is individual.
Nevertheless, we suggest to get acquainted with some general recommendations of psychologists:
Clear tasks. Surely, you know that hyperactive children are absent mindedness and not very developed abstract and logical thinking - that is why it is important for you to clearly formulate your requests and tasks. Communicating with the child, speak in short sentences that will not be replete with unnecessary semantic loads. Do not resort to long formulations.
Bans. If your son or your daughter suffers from ADHD, then we recommend avoiding denial and the word “no” when building sentences. For example, instead of saying: "Do not carry your toys into the kitchen!", Say: "Play in the room." Even if you understand that there is a conflict situation, try to be as calm as possible. Barring something to your child, be sure to explain the reason, and also offer alternative options.
Keep the sequence. One of the main signs of hyperactivity can be called inattention. For this reason, it is undesirable to assign several tasks to the child at once, for example: “Complete the lessons, eat and call the grandmother”. It is difficult for a child to receive all information at once - most likely, as a result, he will switch to something else and will not carry out orders. That is why try to voice tasks in a logical sequence.
Sense of time. In addition to other manifestations, hyperactive children sometimes suffer from an impaired sense of time - because of this circumstance, you should follow the deadline by the time at which you must complete the task. If you plan to feed your child with dinner, finish a walk with him or send him to bed, then by all means tell him about it in 5-10 minutes.
How to calm a hyperactive child - ways of correction
The nervous system of a child with ADHD is very excitable, so it should be protected. Try to "quench" any whims and tantrums at the very beginning, and do not try to immediately punish the baby for educational purposes. Of course, this does not mean that it is necessary to always indulge in whims and go with the children in the wake - just quietly shift his attention. This method, of course, requires a lot of patience and patience from parents, but it is the most effective.
Do not expose the child during the day once again too vivid impressions. We also look at the fact that many unexpected visitors, noisy companies and the like can shake the nervous system of the baby.
If your child is hyperactive, then this fact should not be ignored - his education requires a special approach. In no case, do not neglect the general recommendations and advice of the doctor - this can aggravate the situation.
How to determine the symptoms?
First you need to find out whether the child is hyperactive.
Syndrome can be detected both in infancy and much later.
It is also found in adults, some researchers attribute this to the presence of certain genes.
It sounds completely like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, but hyperactivity can be diagnosed separately. Associated with violation of the brain.
In boys, according to statistics, it is diagnosed four times more often. About 1-7% of children suffer from the syndrome.
Symptoms to pay attention to:
- Lack of attention. Reduced ability to manage your reaction, focus on your task. With a attention deficit in a six-year-old child, disorderly behavior is observed, the inability to sit in class during class. But the symptom can be observed without hyperactivity, therefore, additional study and diagnosis is necessary.
- Lack of self control. The child may have normal intelligence, but at the same time behave like a little. He has insufficiently developed willpower and ability to focus on an important task.
- Impulsiveness. First he does, then he thinks. Sharply reacts to the actions of other people. May suddenly burst into tears. The child skips the stage of thinking about the reaction, and immediately performs the action.
What are the causes of aggression in adolescents? Find out the answer right now.
Causes syndrome can be different, depends on many factors:
- genetic predisposition
- pathological factors: parents or mothers ingestion of alcohol, prohibited substances, smoking, problems encountered during childbirth, the threat of termination of pregnancy, stresses during gestation of the child.
The factors that increase the risk are the transfer of infectious diseases to the pregnant woman, chronic diseases, poor ecology, mismatch of the Rh factor.
In what cases are diagnosed "hyperactivity" in children of preschool and school age? What should alert the parents and the psychologist when analyzing the child's behavior:
- sleep disturbance. The child falls asleep badly, often wakes up, feels tired, his barytimis are disturbed, it is difficult to calm him down, and the sleep is very sensitive,
- despite being tired, it is difficult to calm and put a child to sleep, his activity increases,
- early physical development. The child quickly begins to roll over on his stomach in infancy, he has increased muscle tone,
- anxiety, loud crying, crying can begin suddenly, for no apparent reason, with bouts - hysteria begins and also ends abruptly,
How to get rid of computer addiction in a child? Practical advice you will find on our website.
Hyperactive children and features of work with them
Especially hyperactivity manifested by about 4 years. At first, parents are happy that the child is active, inquisitive, but then it becomes a problem, as it becomes difficult to control, learning is not easy, his attention switches sharply.
Doctors for the treatment of hyperactivity may prescribe special drugs, but it is not recommended for parents to do this.
It is important to find out whether there is really a disturbance in the work of the brain, and to prescribe the most optimal and safe treatment.
When working with hyperactive children it is important to be patient. If adults are excited, the child becomes more nervous. As a result, disobedience, hysteria for any reason, refusal to learn.
If attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is suspected it is recommended to visit a psychologist and a therapist. They will assign the appropriate research.
Medical treatment will not be able to do. It is necessary to carefully consider the behavior of parents.
Adults should create a favorable and calm atmosphere. The child necessarily needs a discharge so that he has much to do with the accumulated energy. For this fit sports section, walking in the fresh air.
How to help the child: the advice of psychologists
What should parents do, if the child was diagnosed hyperactivity?
- Do not panic.
- Provide your baby with calm conditions minimum stress.
The child should not observe family conflicts and be their participant.
If a child does not manage to tie his shoelaces, do not shout at him, but it is necessary to do it together, be sure to praise the kid even for small successes.
How to cope with it at home?
What to do with a hyperactive child?
Parents worth pay attention as early as possible on overactive baby.
It is important to provide a comfortable environment for development. Stress, family conflicts are contraindicated.
A child from 2 years old reacts to the mood of loved ones, therefore adults should keep calm and poise.
When dealing with a hyperactive baby will need patience. If you scream at him, and even more so to punish him physically, it will aggravate the situation.
Be sure to engage him in any activity. Do not give many toys at once, let them learn to focus on a small number of objects.
How to calm fidget?
Recommendations to parents:
- Calm down yourself and do not be irritable with a child.
- Forget the habit of raising your voice; this child is even more exciting.
- Talk to him calmly, confidently, in a quiet, friendly voice.
- Switch it to another activity, change the situation, switch attention.
- Before bed, you can take a bath with an extract of henna cones, make a light massage.
How to find the right approach to the introverted child, read here.
What is prescribed for children with hyperactivity? Medications for treatment prescribed by a doctor only.
Children may be recommended soothing herbs, such as chamomile or motherwort, but it is important to exclude the presence of contraindications.
May be prescribed as a sedative glycine - This is an amino acid necessary for the brain to work.
In severe cases, can be assigned PantogamIt refers to notropic sedative drugs. Reception is carried out only after consulting a doctor.
Possible appointment Pirocetamhowever, it has many contraindications.
The doctor may recommend other drugs, depending on the characteristics of the child's body, its nervous system and the presence of contraindications.
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder - treatment
How to cure a child? With ADD apply:
- Psychotherapeutic techniques. Suitable cognitive behavioral therapy. Classes are held under the guidance of a psychologist. The child forms a model of behavior. Classes are held in the form of games or conversations, depending on the age of the baby and the type of therapy. Older children are taught methods of communication, methods of resolving conflict situations, and rules of behavior in public places. Good results are shown by art therapy, games for the development of attention, perseverance, social interaction.
For children with attention deficit disorder organization of proper nutrition. It is necessary that the brain receives the amount of proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals it needs.
It is necessary to identify products for which the child has an individual intolerance. For very young children not recommended exciting drinks - coffee, strong tea.
Care should be taken with lemonade, ready-made food containing artificial additives, as they can directly affect the work of the brain and the metabolism in general.
Carbohydrates necessary for the brain to work, but they must come not in the form of white sugar and flour products, but from natural foods - fruits and vegetables.
How is hyperactivity in adults treated?
How to deal with hyperactivity? Before you start taking medications, you should pay attention to other ways of treating hyperactivity in adults:
- organize proper nutrition, to ensure the intake of an adequate amount of vitamins, use less white sugar and products with artificial additives,
- properly organize daily regime: go to bed and get up at about the same time, sleep at night, eat several times a day,
- get rid of excess energy by physical activity,
- do not sit more than an hour in one place, give yourself opportunity to move,
Classes should be conducted intermittently, without overloading the brain too much.
Hyperactivity - this is not a sentence, and a feature of the brain. Correct behavior will help to correct behavior, but in case of pronounced hyperactivity and attention deficit disorder, consultation of a psychologist and doctors is recommended.
How to check the child's psychological readiness for school? Psychological advice will tell you.
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Tips for parents: