Women who have small children and breastfeed often face various diseases that cause coughing. Pharmacies sell a huge amount of effective medicines. However, self-treatment during lactation is unacceptable. How to carry out the treatment of cough during breastfeeding?
Causes and classification of cough
Absolutely all people know such a symptom as a cough. Unfortunately, it is not a sign of any particular disease, since many factors can cause it:
- mechanical irritation with foreign bodies, dust, tumors,
- chemical irritation (inhalation of gases having a strong and strong odor),
- thermal irritation (breathing in very cold or too hot air),
- inflammatory reactions of the respiratory tract (with bronchiolitis, bronchitis, tracheitis, laryngitis) and alveoli (with lung abscess, pneumonia).
As for the types of cough, it is worth noting that in the medical literature its various classifications are used. One of them is presented to your attention. So, the described symptom can be:
- single (in case of ingestion of foreign body or dust in the respiratory tract),
- paroxysmal (with bronchial asthma, cigarette abuse),
- acute (with acute bacterial or viral infection),
- chronic (for chronic diseases of the respiratory system, cardiac pathology).
What drugs do doctors prescribe for cough?
Cough is a protective reflex of the human body, so in most cases, doctors prescribe to their patients the means that facilitate it. May be recommended and such drugs that eliminate the cough. Such medicines are necessary in cases where a symptom negatively affects a sick person (causes suffocation, provokes vomiting).
Experts identify the following groups of drugs that help cough:
- mucolytic agents that dilute sputum and promote its removal ("Bromhexin", "ACC", etc.),
- antitussive drugs that inhibit the cough reflex ("Bithiodine", "Codeine", etc.),
- mucoregulatory agents that normalize the viscosity of sputum (for example, "Carbocysteine"),
- expectorants that remove accumulated sputum ("Mukaltin", "Bronholitin", etc.).
Cough drops for nursing women
What can coughing do when breastfeeding? During lactation, many experts recommend nursing mothers to use Mukaltin. It is an expectorant, made on the basis of polysaccharides from the herb medicinal Althea. Contraindications for the drug is not so much. These include peptic ulcer and duodenal ulcer, as well as hypersensitivity to the components that make up.
Sometimes doctors prescribe a chest elixir. It is an expectorant drug that includes aqueous ammonia, anise oil, and licorice extract. This drug has no absolute contraindications for use during lactation. Chest elixir can not only be taken with hypersensitivity.
Cough syrup (dry) is another expectorant drug of plant origin. Treatment of cough during breastfeeding can be done with this tool. It contains such effective ingredients as dry extracts of licorice root and thermopsis. Contraindications to the use of funds - hypersensitivity, acute pyelonephritis, acute glomerulonephritis.
Drugs that are contraindicated during lactation
What can coughing do when breastfeeding is not the only issue that worries mothers. Women are also interested in what kind of medicine may be harmful. One of these drugs is Tussamag syrup. This is a liquid alcohol extract of thyme herb. The instructions for this drug indicated that "Tussamag" can not be taken during lactation. Other contraindications include:
- chronic heart failure
- renal failure
- liver failure
- increased sensitivity to components
Another example is Dr. Mom syrup, which has an expectorant effect. This is a combined drug from medicinal plants. Mothers are advised not to take this medicine, because medicine does not know how syrup can affect an infant (experiments on pregnant and lactating women are not carried out for ethical reasons).
Many people know the medicines from the Vicks Active line. The products included in it are designed for the integrated treatment of colds, the elimination of symptoms such as nasal congestion, runny nose, cough. Preparations "Vicks Active" are effective, but for nursing mothers, they are prohibited.
Why is it necessary to consult a doctor?
People who have a cough should pay a visit to the doctor. This is especially necessary for women who are breastfeeding. If necessary, the specialist will prescribe a survey, make the correct diagnosis and write out the necessary medicines, which will eliminate the cough and the identified disease.
Probably, it is no secret for anyone why it is impossible to use drugs selected by yourself. First, for each disease has its own treatment regimen. Comprehensive drug therapy may be required, including the use of not only remedies aimed at eliminating the described symptom, but also other medications.
Secondly, some funds can eliminate the cough in a nursing mother, but at the same time adversely affect the children's body.
Should breastfeeding be canceled?
When coughing and starting medication, many mothers cancel breastfeeding due to the fear that pathogens and medicament components will enter the baby’s body through milk. At the desire to stop feeding can not be. Not all diseases are dangerous for the baby. For example, with the open form of tuberculosis, breastfeeding is canceled. In acute respiratory viral infections that occur without severe intoxication, breast milk feeding is not contraindicated (pathogens are not transmitted through it).
As for the drugs, it is worth noting that there is a list of drugs that can be drunk for cough during lactation (some of them are listed above). The components of such medicines, although they penetrate into the milk, but do not have a negative effect (when using drugs in accordance with the recommendations of the attending physician and instructions).
Negatively means may affect the child with individual intolerance. Such drugs are immediately canceled and for a particular woman are contraindicated for the period of breastfeeding.
The toxicity of the drug components present in the milk.
The components of those medicines that women take during lactation (as prescribed by a doctor), in a certain amount into breast milk. Their concentration in it is rather low. It is less than the therapeutic dose for the child and, accordingly, can not serve as a threat to his body. Toxic effects sometimes occur due to the long-term use of drugs (components enter the children's body, accumulate, but are not so quickly eliminated).
Suspicious symptoms usually occur in infants younger than 5 months. The risk group consists of newborns and premature babies. In older children, toxic effects are extremely rare, because at this age they are already starting to get complementary foods, eat additional mixtures (that is, “drug” milk is only part of the diet).
It is also worth remembering that the behavior of babies may not change due to the impact of a particular drug. The fact is that the treatment of cough during breastfeeding is reflected in milk. Accepted medicines change its taste. Children may cry because of this, refuse to breast.
Few popular recipes
Some mothers are interested in how to treat cough during breastfeeding with folk remedies. Here are some safe options:
- take apple broth warm daily,
- drink fresh cabbage juice with sugar,
- drink carrot juice mixed with milk in a 1: 1 ratio (1 tablespoon L. 6 times a day).
With a strong cough, provoking attacks of suffocation, traditional healers recommend eating baked or boiled pears. Such a dish will benefit a nursing mother, because it contains a lot of different nutrients needed by the human body.
There are many different nutrients needed by the human body.
With the described symptom, nursing mothers should take care not only that the drugs taken do not adversely affect the children. It is very important to protect babies from pathogens. So, the treatment of cough during breastfeeding Komarovsky recommends the implementation of the following rules:
- to drop salt drops into the nose (normal saline),
- wear a gauze mask
- drink more warm fluids
- more often to air the rooms in the house or apartment,
- for the prevention of saline solutions for the child to drip into the nose.
In conclusion, it is worth noting that the treatment of cough during breastfeeding is an urgent problem for many mothers. The appearance of this symptom is a reason to make a visit to the doctor. Only a specialist can recommend effective medicines, which in the shortest possible time will relieve cough and do not harm the child.
Preparations with Ambroxol
During the intake of drugs with Ambroxol, adverse reactions may occur in the form of intestinal upset, heartburn, nausea, headaches, swelling. There are contraindications for the use of these drugs:
- pregnancy up to 12 weeks
- kidney or liver failure
- hypersensitivity to the components that make up.
Doctors around the world allowed cough medicines during lactation with the active ingredient acetylcysteine (ACC Long, Fluimucil). It is a mucolytic agent derived from the amino acid cysteine. The safety of preparations based on it is confirmed by data from international medical reference books. According to doctors, the degree of risk for a nursing woman and infant is minimal.
Of particular importance is the choice of the form of drug release (granules, tablets for sucking or for dissolving, powder) does not have, because they are equally effective for the treatment of wet cough. During the reception of mucolytics of this group, side effects in the form of skin rash, bronchospasm, urticaria, nausea, vomiting, local irritation of the respiratory tract can rarely occur. Cough medicine is absolutely contraindicated to a nursing mother with acetylcysteine if she has the following conditions:
- duodenal ulcer or stomach ulcer in the acute phase,
- pulmonary hemorrhage
- liver disease,
- hypersensitivity to acetylcysteine.
Cough preparations on phytobasic
Products containing extracts of medicinal herbs are considered conditionally safe, so they can be used by women who are breastfeeding.
Among these drugs are the following syrups:
- Dr. Mom. Ingredients include licorice root, ginger, basil and aloe.
- Herbion. This medicine contains plantain extract.
- Alteyka. It is often prescribed as an expectorant based on Althea herb.
- Gedelix The active ingredient of the drug is ivy extract.
- Linkas. In the composition of the syrup - the collection of extracts of various medicinal plants, which have a mucolytic effect.
- Licorice syrup. It is used to treat cough of any etiology.
- Pertussin. It contains thyme, which, besides treating cough, has a detrimental effect on pathogens.
- Prospan. At the core - ivy extract.
You can also use when coughing means for rubbing the chest and neck - Vicks Active, Dr. Mom, Evkabal. However, it is necessary to observe with such a procedure the main rule - to prevent the ingress of medication on the chest.
Mucolytic drugs containing Ambroxol
The active ingredient Ambroxol is found in many medicines that are used in infectious and inflammatory diseases of the respiratory system, which are accompanied by cough:
Not all drugs are allowed for lactating women.
- Bronchial asthma
Ambroxol is available in syrup, tablets, solutions for inhalation and injection.
For nursing women most suitable means in the form of a syrup or solution for inhalation method of application.
The active substance quickly penetrates the bloodstream, and is excreted mainly during urination. However, some of the medication may pass into the milk, but its quantity is so minimal that it does not constitute harm for the infant.
Popular analogues of the drug are:
The mechanism of action of the drug and the composition is almost identical. The advantage of the drug is also that the list of contraindications and side effects is small.
Acetylcysteine and its analogues
There are many preparations containing the active ingredient acetylcysteine. They effectively dilute the mucous secretion and contribute to its facilitated removal from the respiratory tract.
In addition to the mucolytic action, the agents also have an antioxidant property, therefore, they quickly neutralize oxidative toxins.
Analogues of acetylcysteine are the following drugs:
They are available in various forms: powders for the preparation of a medicinal drink, solutions necessary for inhalation procedures, injection solutions.
Indications for the use of these funds are diseases that accompany cough:
- Cystic fibrosis
- Bronchial asthma
- Lung abscess
In the instructions of some products that include acetylcysteine, it is indicated that the drug should be taken with caution during lactation, so it is best to consult your doctor about the appropriateness of using these drugs.
An excellent and safest treatment for such
Of the vegetable-based tablets during lactation, it is allowed to use Mukaltin
symptom, like coughing in nursing moms, is considered inhaled. The procedure can be performed on the tank, inhaling healing steam.
A more modern device for inhalation is a nebulizer, which can be easily bought in a pharmaceutical institution.
For inhalations with a dry cough, decoctions are prepared on the basis of the following medicinal herbs:
A cough with sputum will help eliminate inhalation of plant extracts that promote expectoration. These are herbs such as yarrow, Ledum or lingonberry.
An excellent means of treating cough is the procedure with Borjomi. This mineral water improves the dilution of sputum and facilitates its discharge from the respiratory tract.
In the case of breastfeeding, women are advised to follow the drinking regimen. As a liquid, suitable warm tea, plain water, juice, fruit juice.
It is possible to use tea from a medicinal plant or herbal collections that have an expectorant effect. These include ivy, thyme, thermopsis, marsh mallow, licorice root, plantain, coltsfoot.
It is important to remember that only a specialist can prescribe cough suppressants for women who are breastfed. Traditional methods should also be agreed with the doctor.
Drug medications are considered more effective and as safe as possible in the treatment of cough during lactation. Traditional recipes are mainly used as auxiliary methods.
Watch the informative video:
Noticed a mistake? Select it and click Ctrl + Enterto let us know.
What is a cold and why does it occur?
- Your immunity is weakened, you walked with your baby for a long time in cold, windy weather and froze. And in the morning he runs out of his nose, he has a tickling in his throat, a cough, it's sad and don't know how to save
- Another option is contact with a sick person. A sneezing girlfriend ran into the house or a coughing man was standing next to you in a store in a queue at the checkout.
The result is one: you caught an infection and you need to heal as quickly as possible and not infect your baby. Cough is one of the first symptoms of ARVI and, as a rule, is easily treatable.
- Cough occurs with a viral or bacterial infection, as well as with allergies. A dry cough during lactation tells you something is wrong with the throat or upper respiratory tract,
- A wet cough occurs a couple of days after the onset of the disease and reports that the disease has entered a new phase.
Know Coughing is a reflex defense of your body. He is trying to get rid of germs. Cough for colds can be unproductive (dry) or productive (wet), with sputum discharge.
Как лечить сухой кашель в период лактации
Не бойтесь, вам не придется отлучать малыша от груди. The antibodies in the mother’s milk help the child’s body cope with the infection. And so that you have as little concern as possible about this, pay attention to our course Healthy Child: A Workshop for Mom >>>
There are many tools that can help you cure cough as soon as possible. At the same time, you will continue to breastfeed the child and not worry that the medicine will somehow affect his children's body.
The most important assistants in dry cough:
- plenty of warm drink because the body loses a lot of fluid
- humidifying the air so that the mucus in the nasopharynx and lungs does not dry out,
- frequent airing to clear the room of pathogens.
Of the drugs for the treatment of cough during breastfeeding can be distinguished: syrups, tablets, sprays and herbs.
Important! To reduce the amount of medicinal substances that enter the mother’s milk, it is better to take the medicine immediately after feeding. Then to the baby at the next intake of mommy's milk will get a minimum of components.
Cough syrup during breastfeeding may contain the natural components of plantain, anise, thyme, ivy, thyme. Please note that the syrups listed below do not have clinical trials for use in nursing women. About this manufacturers write in the instructions.
At the same time in the composition of syrups, mainly extracts from medicinal plants.
- Herbion syrup. The main active ingredient is plantain extract and mallow. Effectively treats cough,
- Gedelix is also based on herbal ingredients and contains ivy extract,
- An alternative to “Gadelix” can be “Prospan”, it also contains ivy extract.
Attention! Bromhexine during lactation can not be used.
What can coughing do when breastfeeding? That which does not harm the baby and is allowed, according to the WHO reference book, during lactation.
- Ambroxol, Ambrobene, Lasolvan, Ambrohexal contain the same active ingredient, Ambroxol. According to recent international studies, this component practically does not penetrate into the mother's milk, therefore it is safe during lactation. These drugs also come in the form of a syrup or solution,
- The drug "Fluimucil" or "ACC" in international practice is also allowed for use in breastfeeding. The main substance is the amino acid acetylcysteine. You can find a powder or pills at the pharmacy,
- You can safely use the old proven tool "Mukaltin",
- You can use Furacilin tablets for rinsing, and Lizobact resorption tablets will help soften the feeling of tingling in the throat.
- The excellent Hexoral Spray contains hexatidine. This substance has the ability to inhibit pathogens in our larynx up to 12 hours after application. You can also buy rinsing solution "Hexoral"
- Another excellent tool is Tantum Verde spray. It has anti-inflammatory effect and does not harm either lactation or baby. It can be used every 1.5-3 hours,
- Antibacterial spray "Chlorophyllipt" is based on the leaves of eucalyptus and will help you recover quickly. An oil solution is also used to lubricate the nose,
However, if you have the opportunity to give preference to another medicine, it is still better not to use antibiotics during lactation, especially if your child is only a few months old.
What else can help you? An excellent tool is inhalation using a nebulizer. With the help of this device, medicinal solutions fall into the deepest corners of your lungs.
- You will be helped by solutions for nebulizers with ambroxol, local means that inhibit microbes, for example, "Miramistin",
- To moisten the larynx, you can do inhalation with ordinary sterile saline or Borjomi water.
Useful during the period of breastfeeding natural remedies: decoctions of wild rose, chamomile flowers and calendula, wild rosemary leaves, ready-made pharmaceutical chest collections.
Important! However, with herbs you need to be especially careful, because they always have a complex effect on the body and can have a negative impact on your baby.
Wet cough when breastfeeding
- If you have a wet cough and you cough up sputum, then you are on your way to recovery. Now the main focus on syrups for wet cough. These syrups not only thin the mucus in the airways, but also strengthen the immune system,
- Breastfeeding cough pills: mucolytics "ACC" or "Fluimucil" and expectorant drug "Mukaltin",
- Do not forget about inhalation.
If you understand that you have picked up not a virus, but a bacterial infection - you cannot do without antibiotics. During lactation, you can use:
- penicillins, for example, Ampicillin, Amoxiclav,
- cephalosporins, ceftriaxone,
- macrolides, for example, "Erythromycin", "Clarithromycin".
Also, be sure to read the current article. Can antibiotics be given to a nursing mother? >>>
Folk ways to relieve cough during lactation
Perhaps it is you and do not have to resort to using medicines. Start with simple, effective grandmother's advice that helped more than one generation of mothers recover.
- raspberry tea will help lower the temperature, will have an antiseptic effect, will remove toxic substances from the body (important article on the topic: The temperature of the nursing mother >>>),
- milk with honey and butter, if the baby is not allergic, strengthens the immune system, relieves irritation from the throat, Find out if honey can be nursing mother? >>>
- gargling with a decoction of calendula, chamomile, soda with salt and a drop of iodine,
- inhalation with chamomile decoction, tea tree oil,
- dry compresses from cottage cheese,
- milk with peeled into a homogeneous mass of ripe figs, the article on the topic: Figs during breastfeeding >>>,
- honey with radish juice
- warm milk with alkaline mineral water.
Types of cough - how to distinguish between them?
Cough is one of the options for protecting the body from exposure to viruses and microbes, allergens and food debris. This is a method of internal cleaning of the respiratory system from all negative factors that a person may encounter. If the patient has a cough, then you need to look for its cause, which is most often hidden in diseases such as influenza, ARVI and some other types of viral infections.
There are several types of this symptom - wet or dry. So, dry is characterized by the fact that when expectoration sputum is not released, but in the patient's chest a very strong and sharp pain is felt. Possible complications in the form of chest pain and bleeding. A wet cough is characterized by the presence of discharge. During coughing, sputum secretion occurs through which the body excretes harmful microorganisms. If there was a dry cough that turns into a wet one, this is a sign that the patient is recovering.
In many ways, it all depends on the duration of the symptom. There is an acute cough, the duration of which is not more than three weeks, usually the causes can be viruses and infections, reactions to odors. Or the second type is chronic (protracted), when the cough lasts more than 21 days. In this case, it is a sign that the patient may have problems with the gastrointestinal tract, lungs or cardiovascular system. Chronic cough is a sign of smokers or allergies.
When coughing during breastfeeding is best to use Amoksilav
Breastfeeding Cough Treatment
Cough can be caused by various types of diseases: bacteria, viruses, allergens.
- How to treat a cough during breastfeeding with a bacterial infection? It is best to use Amoksilav, this medicine is suitable for mothers who have already improved lactation. This is an antibiotic drug that is taken immediately after feeding. And during the time until the next feeding, it resolves and does not pass through the milk to the infant. The medicine will have time to neutralize the pathogenic organisms in the body, and the baby will not receive harmful substances along with the milk.
- If the disease is caused by viruses, then doctors usually prescribe in their prescriptions such drugs as Gerbion or Mukaltin. So, for example, Mukaltin, in its composition, has althea drug, which dissolves sputum by its action and removes it from the body. In addition, it reduces inflammation and improves the secretion of sputum from the lungs. If the doctor prescribed this drug, it is better to know a few rules, compliance with which improves the medicinal effect. A pill is better not to swallow and drink, and dissolve and can be dissolved in milk. It is noted that the cough passes in four to five days. The medicine is homeopathic, but there are also contraindications: the child’s age is under 1, gastritis, diabetes and intolerance to Altea extract. All medications are recommended to be taken immediately after feeding.
- A cough provoked by allergies during lactation requires the use of drugs such as Smecta or activated charcoal. It is very good at coughing and does not harm the Fenistil syrup. It can even be used by children, so taking it when breastfeeding, a woman will not add harmful components to the baby’s diet.
Allergy-induced cough during lactation requires the use of drugs such as Smecta.
You can also use inhalation. They are completely harmless and their effectiveness has been proven over the years. As a drug for inhalation, you can take a simple saline solution, which will bring the entire sputum from the respiratory tract. It is important to remember that the proportions of medication for inhalation are not as large as with an internal dose.
One alternative is ointment. The composition is applied outside, warming the neck during rubbing. Doctors recommend the use of the drug Dr. Moom, it is an old and proven tool.
Cough treatment - what to choose?
The best treatment option is to go to the doctor, where the doctor will tell you how to treat a dry or wet cough while breastfeeding. The choice of a drug for the treatment of cough during breastfeeding is done by the attending physician taking into account all the features of the mother's body and taking into account the implementation of the mother's breastfeeding of the child.
The difficulty of the choice lies in the fact that during lactation you need to find a middle ground in which you can choose the right medicine for your mother and keep breastfeeding possible. The health of the baby depends on how well the mother can breastfeed him and provide him with all the necessary substances that are contained in the milk. Because even incredible technical progress is not able to provide a complete replacement of the natural product of the mammary glands.
Drinking hot tea and water in large quantities will help reduce inflammation.
If the patient is just sick, then most often it is a productive cough. In this case, moms are interested in the question of what can cure coughing with breastfeeding before consulting a specialist. The following activities are recommended:
- Drinking plenty of hot tea and water to relieve sore throat inflammation and expectoration.
- Inhalation with herbs will be very useful and will help at first.
- For expectoration, you can take Lasolvan, plantain and licorice medicines.
- Medications such as Ocylococcinum and Stodal are often prescribed to pregnant and lactating mothers.
You can not mindlessly choose how to treat a cough during breastfeeding. Of course, it is best to trust the experience of a professional. The doctor must evaluate the patient's condition and prescribe effective and safe medications. You should always carefully study the instructions of the drug, and only then proceed to direct treatment.
Pregnant and lactating mothers are often given Ocylococcinum.
Treatment of cough folk remedies
Folk remedies from time immemorial were considered one of the best options for the treatment of diseases for their availability and effectiveness. Of course, than of the folk remedies to treat a strong cough during breastfeeding, few can tell, but still there are some recommendations that will be very effective.
There are still homeopathic preparations, they are made on the basis of natural components and do not bear a strong load on the body. It is difficult to make a mistake with the maximum allowable dosage, because the side effects from the use of such drugs are almost completely absent. You can use these methods of treatment:
1. Tea with raspberries. If there is a jar of raspberry jam in the basement, make weak tea and put a couple of spoons of raspberry jam into it. Drink must necessarily be hot. Raspberry jam is very much appreciated and is recommended for its antiseptic and antipyretic properties. If you drink this tea very often, toxins and bacteria will come out of your body, your lungs and bronchi will clear from sputum and the microbes that have formed there.
Raspberry tea will be very helpful when coughing.
2. Milk with honey. The old recipe, which often in my childhood otpaivali grandmother and mother. Someone loved or disliked this drink for its sugary sweet taste of honey, but a positive effect when combining these products strengthens the immune system and has an antiviral effect. It is best to drink this hot drink at a temperature of 50-60 degrees C. You need to use honey and milk for sore throat and tonsils, removing puffiness and inflammation. Medication is taken at night.
3. Black radish with honey. Another one of the famous recipes, which provides for the use of honey. Taking black radish, you need to cut the top with a knife, and then cut out the middle, pour honey into the hole, and after 12 hours use one teaspoon per day.
Black radish with honey is effective for coughing
4. Badger fat is perfect for rubbing. For example, in the composition of the rubbish from the “First Aid Kit”, it is the main ingredient.
5. One of the treatment options for cough during lactation is cooked onions, soaked in milk. First boil the milk and throw the onion there, add honey. Then take and cough will pass in an instant.
You can use chamomile inhalations - you simply brew chamomile from a pharmacy in a container (you can take a regular pot). Breathe should be 10-15 minutes over the broth, it will clear the lungs from excessive accumulation of sputum.
Precautions and prohibitions
The immune system of a woman during this period is very weak and easily excitable, so treatment is a serious task that requires careful attention to all small things. In no case can not self-medicate, because, using drugs unknown in its effect, you can put the health of the child at risk. Visiting a doctor, yet you should pay attention to the instructions that are available in medications. The drug may contain an allergen, for which you need to additionally consult with a medical specialist. It is possible to be treated with folk remedies, but it must also be done with extreme caution, because both traditional preparations and folk remedies can have serious contraindications.
Treatment should be supervised by an experienced doctor.
Despite the diseases, the child can not be weaned from breastfeeding, as this will lead to a decrease in the immunity of a small family member. Coughing is not a cause for decanting and further boiling of milk.
The postpartum period is as difficult as the period of childbearing. In these months and even years, a woman undergoes a large depletion of the body, giving all the nutrients to the child. Because of this, the immune system becomes very weak and there is a risk of disease.
If you still get sick and have a cough - this is not a reason to stop breastfeeding, because the child protects your body through the mother's milk. During an illness, it is important to drink plenty of fluids, ventilate the room, comply with dressings when in contact with the child, and use simple hygiene rules.
Important! Treatment should be carried out under the supervision of an experienced doctor who will make the correct diagnosis and will offer the necessary treatment option with medicines that do not harm the child.
Traditional medicine is also not prohibited in this period of a woman’s life. Homeopathic origin and natural composition of drugs will help preserve the health of mother and baby. Be sure to consider the individual intolerance of an ingredient in the composition of the drug.
How to treat a cough during lactation?
To find out what is possible from coughing to a nursing mother, it is best to have a doctor. During lactation, it is necessary to responsibly treat the health of a nursing woman and the life of a child. In the event that a woman’s cough is triggered by a serious infection, a comprehensive treatment is carried out using various methods and means. Syrups, pills, sprays and herbs are usually prescribed to combat dry cough during lactation. In addition, dry compresses are recommended for breastfeeding mothers and children up to three years old.
To reduce the amount of substances penetrating into the milk, it is recommended to take cough suppressants to the nursing mother immediately after feeding. With this approach to treatment, the next intake of mother's milk in the body of a child gets a minimum of components.
Появление влажного кашля является признаком того, что женщина на пути к выздоровлению. В таком случае акцент делается на сиропы для влажного кашля, которые не только ускоряют разжижение слизи в дыхательных путях, но и восстанавливают работу иммунной системы. During treatment, one should not forget about inhalations, which help in a short time to alleviate the patient's condition.
In the event that a bacterial infection has penetrated into the mother’s body, antibacterial therapy cannot be avoided. During the period of feeding to appoint such potent drugs should only a doctor, taking into account the complexity of the pathology and the individual characteristics of the female body.
It is not allowed to take cough medicines for breastfeeding, which contain bromhexine, tetracyclines and sulfonamides. Once in the mother’s milk, such drugs infect the baby’s organs and thereby disrupt its normal development.
The basic principle of treating colds in women is the safety of the baby. When the body temperature rises, it is best to alleviate the condition of the woman with Paracetamol, but they do not need to be abused. Inhalations with herbal decoctions, which must be carried out several times a day, are considered the safest method of treatment.
During breastfeeding, when prescribing any cough medicine, a competent and professional approach is required. When HB is allowed to take only certain cough pills and antibacterial drugs, the safest for women and infants.
Mukaltin is considered a proven remedy for chest cough, which has long been used in the treatment. It is possible to alleviate the condition of a woman with the help of Furatsilina tablets, on the basis of which a rinse solution is prepared. To alleviate the state of coughing during lactation, a woman can with the help of resorption of Lizobact tablets. Antibiotics are prescribed if a woman has a bacterial infection.
For breastfeeding, coughing in women is best done with expectorants such as Lasolvan. In addition, the safest drugs are considered in which the presence of herbal ingredients.
Herbion syrup is an expectorant, which contains extract of plantain and thyme. The main contraindication to the use of such a drug for nursing mothers is hypersensitivity to the components of the drug, diabetes and asthma. In some cases, taking this drug may be accompanied by the development of allergies, and in rare cases cause diarrhea and vomiting.
Gedelix syrup is an expectorant that increases sputum production when you have a dry cough. The composition of this medication contains an extract of ivy leaves, which is safe for breastfeeding. It is not recommended to take such a drug with sensitivity to the components of the drug, and among the side effects in rare cases, allergies or nausea can occur.
When breastfeeding is allowed to take the following drugs:
The basis of such drugs is such active ingredient as Ambroxol. Studies show that this component practically does not penetrate into the mother's milk, therefore, it is completely safe during breastfeeding. A sick mother can take such medicines in the form of a syrup or solution, and after a few days the patient will notice relief. These drugs have few side effects, so Ambroxol may be used to treat colds in young children.
Drugs such as Fluimucil or ACC are also allowed during lactation. The main component of such drugs is the amino acid acetylcysteine, and medicines are produced in the form of tablets or powder. ACC and Fluimucil are the means of mucolytic action with a pronounced expectorant effect.
The active substances that are present in these medicines stimulate the production of sputum. In addition, they help eliminate the irritation that occurs in women with a dry cough. Taking medication in accordance with the attached instructions helps a nursing mother to cough easily and improves her well-being, which is especially important during breastfeeding.
In fact, homeopathy does not have a strong evidence base of its effectiveness in treating cough. However, many women claim that it is homeopathic remedies that help them get rid of unpleasant symptoms in a short time. One of the significant advantages of homeopathy is the fact that they can be safely taken during breastfeeding. A nursing mother is allowed to use the following medications when treating cough:
Comprehensive homeopathic remedy, in which there are only natural ingredients, is Stodal. With it, you can quickly get rid of any kind of cough and it is produced in the form of syrup. In order to speed up the recovery of a woman, it is recommended to combine homeopathic medicines with medicines prescribed by a doctor.
Folk remedies for coughing
One of the effective folk remedies for cough inhalation are considered, which can be carried out in various ways. A familiar and proven method is inhalation of vapors emitted from boiled potatoes. Inhalations give a good effect with the help of essential oils, which are recommended to be added to boiling water and to breathe over the solution for 10-15 minutes.
Another effective way to get rid of cough during breastfeeding is gargling with decoction and herbal infusion. To prepare the solution, it is necessary to pour 10-20 grams of dry chamomile into a dish, pour a glass of boiling water and leave to infuse for 10-15 minutes. In order to relieve irritation of the throat and cure cough, it is recommended to gargle with a solution of soda or sea salt.
It is possible to alleviate the condition of a woman with the help of such a folk safe means as milk with honey. However, it is allowed to take this remedy only in the absence of allergy to honey in newborns. It is necessary to warm the milk, put in it 2-3 teaspoons of honey and drink a drink. With the help of this tool it is possible to relieve irritation of the throat, facilitate the discharge of sputum and increase the body's defenses.
Treat dry cough can be chest collection number 2 with bronchodilatory effect. Herbal composition is selected in such a way that helps relieve swelling of the mucous membranes, and has a relaxing effect on the smooth muscles of the bronchi.
Treatment of colds in women with breastfeeding is effective through inhalation. It is best to use an inhaler for this purpose, and carry out the procedure with the following solutions:
- Lasolvan and Ambrobene are mucolytic drugs, and they are allowed to be used for inhalation, both in pure form and in combination with saline.
- Dekasan and Miramistin are local antiseptic preparations that have an antiviral effect and have an inhibitory effect on pathogenic microorganisms.
Inhalation during coughing can be done with the help of alkaline solutions, which enhance the production of sputum and facilitate its discharge. During lactation, it is recommended to carry out the procedure with Borjomi mineral water, after shaking it up and releasing carbon dioxide. It is not allowed for inhalation to use oil solutions and herbal infusions prepared independently. It is necessary to use only ready-made solutions for nebulizers that are intended directly for the procedure.
Features of the treatment of cough
When coughing during breastfeeding, it is recommended to start treatment with folk remedies, and not rush for medications. The reasons for the deterioration of the patient's well-being may be different, so it is best to consult a doctor. When dealing with coughing with the help of medications, it is necessary to follow the enclosed instructions and the prescribed regimen. An antibiotic for a disease is prescribed only by a doctor if there are certain indications.
Overdose of the drug can lead to negative consequences. No need to give up breastfeeding in the event that a woman has a cough and even a cold. The fact is that milk contains the necessary components that help protect the newborn. The antibodies present in the milk support the child’s immune system, blocking the aggressiveness of the pathogenic bacteria.
Tips for nursing moms
When coughing a woman is recommended:
- Wear a gauze bandage, which must be changed every 2-3 hours.
- Ventilate the room regularly.
- Hand hygiene and be sure to wash them before each feeding.
- Take care of a complete and rational nutrition of the mother.
- Drink as much fluid as possible, because replenishing water balance is important for recovery. Fluid helps to excrete harmful toxins from the mother’s body, which are released by viruses.
It is not necessary to self-medicate when coughing during lactation, but it is best to seek medical help. Medications must be taken immediately after diagnosis, which will speed up the recovery of the woman. Learn how to treat a cough during pregnancy, how to remove symptoms during lactation and not harm the child, you need to see a doctor.
Features of cough in acute respiratory infections
Acute respiratory infections are often accompanied by coughing. It flows in different forms:
- A dry cough indicates that the upper respiratory tract is attacked by a viral infection. The body also reacts to the sore throat with the same symptom (see also: how to properly treat the throat during breastfeeding?). There is no sputum compartment, the urge is frequent, but it is impossible to cough up a person.
- A wet cough is characteristic of the second or third day of the disease, when the cells of the respiratory tract begin to actively fight the virus. When coughing up, sputum appears.
Cough is referred to as involuntary reflexes that a person cannot control. Clearing cough, we seek to remove the phlegm that has collected in the bronchi, or pieces of food that have fallen into the throat. Actually, therefore, all medical measures are taken to eliminate the causes of this reflex.
What should a nursing mother do when coughing?
If the cough is manifested against the background of a cold, accompanied by fever, runny nose and general weakness, use the same methods as for the treatment of acute respiratory infections:
- Continue breastfeeding. Lactation does not interfere with treatment if it is organized properly. Together with breast milk, the baby receives interferon, which on the 3rd day of the disease produces the body of a nursing woman. The baby does not become infected through breast milk. Moreover, by the 5th day of the disease, mothers begin to form antibodies that kill the virus.
- Use a medical gauze bandage in order not to infect the baby with an airborne infection. Every two hours, put on a new bandage. Carry out preventive measures: air the room, keep your hands clean, be sure to wash them before each feeding.
- Provide plenty of drink. Use non-carbonated drinks, homemade compotes. Replenishing water balance in case of illness is very important. Breastfeeding mother needs liquid in order to avoid lactostasis, which occurs at high temperatures and milk stagnation. In addition, water removes from the body the harmful toxins produced by viruses. It also helps in the treatment of dry cough, promoting the formation of sputum.
- Be sure to call or visit a doctor. The therapist will select for you the correct, safe medicines approved for use during lactation.
By breastfeeding, it is unacceptable to be treated independently. It is much more dangerous to rely on the fact that the illness will pass by itself. Perhaps coughing is a precursor of pneumonia, then you risk earning an infectious form of mastitis. Severe disease with a bacterial nature, pneumonia, to be treated longer, and breastfeeding will have to be abandoned.
What can cure cough?
Any cough medicine during the breastfeeding period requires a competent and professional approach (see also: Mukaltin coughing for breastfeeding). Inhalations, syrups, medical fees are considered safe means for lactation. Certain tablets and antibiotics are prescribed, indicated for use in HB. We will get acquainted with the most popular among those permitted in HB drugs in more detail.
A variety of remedies for cold pleases, but which of them will help nursing mommy get rid of cough? We list the most appropriate:
- "Ambroxol" is the name of the medicine and the main component of such therapeutic agents as syrups and tablets "Ambrogexal", "Lazolvan", "Halixol", "Ambrobene". The international drug handbook identifies Ambroxol as a safe drug when breastfeeding. Medical studies conducted in 2014 found that the substance almost does not enter the milk. It has few side effects. Ambroxol is allowed to be used in the treatment of colds in young children.
- "ACC" and "Fluimutsil" - means mucolytic action. The basis is the amino acid acetylcysteine. Effective expectorant. Available in tablets and in the powder from which the suspension is prepared. Recommended for hepatitis B and for the treatment of infants.
Presents funds have mucolytic action. The active ingredients of these drugs stimulate the production of sputum, relieving irritation from dry cough. At the same time, a woman clears her throat more easily, her general condition improves, which is especially important when breast feeding a child. Coughing attacks do not interfere with the mother to feed the baby and care for him.
Currently, there are many cough syrups that are safe during lactation.
Trust in folk remedies have many nursing mothers. Resorting to them, they rely on their safety and availability. Today, pharmacies offer an extended range of fees, tinctures, syrups designed to relieve coughing episodes. They are made from herbs: anise, thyme, thyme, ivy. Licorice root is also always popular. All means of the famous medical complex "Doctor IOM" are made on the basis of licorice. However, the E-LACTANCIA medical handbook, which describes a variety of drugs, indicates that licorice extract is not recommended for coughing when breastfeeding.
Confidence in the safety of folk remedies can let you down. Some plants can adversely affect the fragile body of the infant and cause an unpredictable reaction. After examining the pharmacy shelves, we prepared for you an overview of 4 nursing collections:
- Collection No. 1 with antiseptic properties. Herbs collected in it can insist or cook a decoction of them. It is intended to collect for the treatment of infection of the respiratory tract, accompanied by inflammation and cough.
- Collection number 2 with bronchodilating effect. Herbal components are selected so that they effectively relieve puffiness of mucous membranes and act relaxingly on the smooth muscles of the bronchi. It is used for diseases such as acute respiratory infections, acute forms of tracheitis and laryngitis, dry and wet cough, inflammation of the bronchi.
- Collection No. 3 reduces the intensity of the inflammatory process, helps sputum separation. It is useful in the complications of chronic bronchitis and is used in the treatment of pneumonia, inflammation of the trachea and bronchi.
- Collection №4 consists of chamomile, berries and leaves of black currant, pine buds, oat seeds. This composition relieves swelling of the bronchi, helps the withdrawal of sputum. Each plant component supports and enhances the effect of another ingredient in the collection.
When resorting to the treatment of plant fees, you should consider the degree of impact of each component on your body. Choose from the 4 described fees the composition that the doctor will recommend to you. In addition, some plants may impair the taste of breast milk, which will lead to the refusal of the child to take a sis. The action of other plants can lead to a decrease in milk production in a nursing mother. When taking herbs, watch your body’s reaction and your baby’s behavior.
Inhalation is the safest option for a woman who is breastfeeding. The drugs used for this method do not enter the mother’s blood and stomach, are localized and, therefore, will not harm the baby. Trust the selection of the treatment complex to the doctor. Spend inhalation using a nebulizer. Pharmacies offer the following solutions:
- Mucolytic solutions with Ambroxol (Ambrobene, Lasolvan). The procedure is carried out once or twice a day. For one inhalation, take 2 ml of a clean product or dilute it with saline in a 1: 1 ratio.
- Antiseptic solutions - "Miramistin", "Dekasan", directing its effect on the suppression of the virus and the removal of edema from mucous membranes. Absorption is not peculiar to drugs. The frequency of admission - 3 times a day. The solution is taken in pure form.
- Alkaline solutions. For example, mineral water "Borjomi". Beneficial effect on the formation and removal of sputum. Снижают ощущение сухости. Можно применять несколько раз за день. Перед использованием следует выпустить из воды углекислый газ.
Делают ингаляции с помощью небулайзера, специального прибора для домашнего использования. Прибор можно купить в отделах медтехники. It is necessary to fill the nebulizer only with those means that are specially sold for it in pharmacies.
Inhalation is the safest way to treat a cough while breastfeeding.
Antibiotics for bacterial cough
Successful treatment of cough during breastfeeding, which is bacterial in nature, is impossible without the use of antibiotics. Drugs that can be drunk mom with HB, the doctor prescribes.
- A group of agents based on penicillin is represented by such drugs as Oxacillin, Amoxiclav, Amoxicillin.
- Among the macrolides can be used "Azithromycin", "Erythromycin", "Roxithromycin".
- The safe ceflosparins are Ceftriaxone, Cefazolin and Cefelim.
What does Dr. Komarovsky advise?
Dr. Komarovsky, in his usual manner of stating the obvious, recalls that it is impossible to deceive the natural mechanisms of the body. If it is peculiar to him to develop immunity against infection by the 5th day of the disease, nothing will help to cure him faster. Naturally, to cope with acute respiratory infections in less than 5 days, it will not work, even taking the most effective drugs.
Regarding the healing power of raspberry jam for sore throat and honey for colds, Komarovsky says that they will not interfere, but they will not contribute to a quick recovery (we recommend reading: can you use honey during breastfeeding?). The doctor advises to drink more, to use saline solutions for moistening the mucous membranes, and not to forget to ventilate the room. You can listen to the opinion of the famous pediatrician, but in-person consultation with a local doctor will not be superfluous.