In the first-aid kit of a modern person there will always be medicines that were known to his great-grandmothers and great-grandparents. Pharmacologists claim that, having reliable and time-tested means at hand, it would be unwise to invent something fundamentally new. An example of this is the well-known valerian.
Valerian pills and drops - a tool that, having a pronounced sedative effect, suppresses anxiety, helps to cope with neurosis and return to a good and restful sleep. The composition of the drug includes only natural ingredients, but apply valerian You need to clearly follow the instructions to avoid overdose and unwanted reactions.
The composition of the drug
All forms of the drug are prepared from rhizomes and valerian roots. The main active ingredient of the tablets is 20 mg thick valerian extract. Complements the composition of a therapeutic agent combination of magnesium carbonate, primeloza, potato starch, calcium stearate and gelatin.
Valerian tincture prepared on the basis of 200 g of crushed raw materials and ethyl alcohol 70%.
Drug release form
On the shelves of pharmacies you can find several industrial varieties of valerian:
- Dried rhizomes with roots in packs of 50 g.
- Tincture for internal use in dark bottles of 25 ml.
- 30 mg tablets in the amount of 30 and 100 pieces per pack.
- Tablets of 40 mg in an amount of 50 pieces per pack.
- Concentrated solution for the preparation of healing baths in containers of 190 ml.
The mechanism of action of the drug
Valerian - natural remedy. This is a grassy perennial culture, also known as cat's grass. Everyone probably knows with which rush cats react to the smell of this plant.
As a medicine, Valeriana is famous for its moderate sedative effect on the human body. The roots of the plant contain an essential oil consisting of a complex combination of isovaleric acid and borneol. In addition, in the sap of the plant there are specific substances valerin and hotenin, which also have a calming effect. In general, valerian preparations have a slow but prolonged sedative effect.
While taking the drug in the cerebral cortex there is an enhanced inhibition reaction. In parallel with this process, the synthesis of gamma-aminobutyric acid, which is contained in the synapses of the neurons of the cerebral cortex and also has a relaxing effect, is activated.
Valerian extract speeds up and makes it easier to fall asleep. In addition, the complex of its active ingredients has a moderate antispasmodic effect, contributes to the productive outflow of bile and encourages the secretory activity of the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract. The effect of a natural drug on the heart is also noteworthy: the active substances of valerian extract slow down the heart rhythm and dilate the coronary arteries.
In what cases is shown valerian
For those who take Valerian extract, it is important to know that the drug does not have an instant sedative effect, but is distributed in the body according to the cumulative principle. This means that the remedy should be systematically drunk for a long time, and only then will it demonstrate the strength of its action.
Reception of an extract of valerian is justified in such situations:
- strong overvoltage
- prolonged exposure to stress
- difficulty falling asleep, prolonged periods of wakefulness at night,
- depressed state
- heart neurosis
- headache, severe migraines,
- addiction to hysteria
- pains of a spastic nature in the organs of the digestive system,
- As part of a combination therapy, valerian is used to cure renal and liver failure.
Valerian extract is taken as an independent tool, and when they want to enhance its effect, they add it to other sedatives or hypnotics.
Rhizomes with Valerian Roots
To prepare a healing infusion, 2–3 tbsp. l put the dried raw material in an enamel container and pour 1 tbsp. boiled hot water and cover with a lid. Put the product in a boiling water bath for a quarter of an hour, then for 45 minutes. cool it at room temperature. Strain the solution, and squeeze the raw material. Bring the resulting infusion to a volume of 200 ml, topping up with the required amount of boiled water.
Take the drug for half an hour before meals, shaking it immediately before use. The dosage is as follows:
adults and adolescents - 1 tbsp. l 3 times a day
children from 10 to 14 years old - 1 dess. l 3 times a day
children from 1 to 10 years old - 1 tsp. 2-3 times a day.
The nature and severity of the pathological condition, the specificity of its course, the achieved therapeutic effect and the tolerability of the drug affect the duration of the course of treatment.
Concentrated solution for the preparation of healing baths
Dilute 10 ml of concentrated liquid in a large volume of water, in other words, in a common bath. Please note that the water temperature should not exceed 34–37 ° C, and soak in such a bath can be no more than 15–20 minutes. The procedure is repeated up to 3-4 times a week.
Valerian preparations can be taken for a very long time. But if the desired therapeutic effect does not come, then you need to seek medical help: a specialist may change the dosage or prescribe another sedative.
Contraindications to the use of the drug
As a sedative, valerian is not suitable for the following conditions:
patient intolerance to the active substance of the drug,
age up to 3 years
high blood pressure (hypertension),
lack of lactase and isomaltase,
disorders and disorders of the gastrointestinal tract.
Pregnant women should not take valerian in the first trimester. At a later date, a medicine based on rhizomes and valerian roots may be prescribed to the expectant mother by a gynecologist or a general practitioner.
Side effects after taking the drugs Valerian
If you decide to achieve emotional balance with this natural remedy, keep in mind that the drug has a number of undesirable effects. Among them:
allergic rash on the body,
reduced muscle tone
lack of energy
constipation (if you take valerian extract for a very long time).
According to Medicine, it warns its readers that valerian preparations should be taken strictly according to the instructions, otherwise an overdose of such a seemingly harmless medication will not bring anything good. You will get the effect completely opposite to that stated in the instructions: excessive excitability, anxiety and sleep disorder.
After 1-2 months of taking medications based on rhizomes and valerian roots, you need to take a break to rest the body. It is best to consult a doctor about the duration of the course of taking valerian.
Analogues of natural remedies
Medicines with valerian pharmacies are released without a prescription. If for some reason these drugs do not suit you, pay attention to their analogues:
Persen and Persen Forte.
Preparations based on motherwort.
Valerian in tablets
As seen in the photo, the tablets of valerian are small, flat and coated. The package contains 50 tablets. The benefits and harms of the tablets mostly coincide with other preparations based on valerian and are largely dependent on the accuracy of following the instructions.
The composition of valerian tablets
The active ingredient of the drug is valerian extract thick. The standard content of a substance in 1 tablet is 20 mg, but depending on the manufacturer of the manufacturer there are dosage options from 10 to 50 mg.
Potato starch, basic magnesium carbonate, gelatin and talc are used as excipients.
For the shell of the tablet, along with the listed components, small amounts of paraffin, beeswax, titanium dioxide, refined sugar, quinole yellow, aerosil and sunflower oil are also used.
Benefits for the human body
Due to the unique combination of a number of substances, valerian is known primarily for its mild hypnotic and sedative effects. Tablets have an easy inhibitory effect on the central nervous system and brain cells, slow down the heart rhythm, relieve nervous arousal and help sleep. (https://otzovik.com/review_4253585.html).
Other useful properties of valerian include:
- choleretic effect,
- dilation of coronary vessels (improves blood flow to blood vessels, decreases the load on the heart),
- increased secretion of gastric juice,
- lowering blood pressure
- slight analgesic effect
- regulation of cardiac activity.
Valerian increases the effect of antispasmodic and cardiac stimulating drugs, which increases the effectiveness of the treatment of heart diseases, as well as the pathologies of other organs characterized by painful spasms.
Indications for use
Valerian tablets are used to treat and prevent the following conditions:
- increased anxiety
- nervous excitement
- high blood pressure
- pain in the digestive tract,
- diseases of the genitourinary system (urolithiasis, cholecystitis),
- exacerbation of the symptoms of vegetovascular dystonia,
- deviations of light character in the work of the heart and vascular system.
Valerian pills are usually prescribed for adults and children over 12 years old. At a younger age, valerian is also used to treat sleep disorders and relieve anxiety, but the concentration of substances in the tablets is considered unacceptable and is prescribed in exceptional cases. Often used water infusion of the roots of plants or tincture.
Important! To achieve a sustainable therapeutic effect is necessary to use the drug course. The doctor will prescribe an individual dose of the drug, depending on the age and characteristics of the patient.
Valerian in tablets is contraindicated in the following cases:
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug,
- depression and other conditions characterized by depression of the central nervous system,
- mental disorders and serious disorders of the nervous system,
- low blood pressure
- work requiring increased concentration.
With caution, the drug is used for:
- pregnancy and breastfeeding,
- work requiring increased attention concentration
- diabetes mellitus
- liver failure
- driving a car,
- children under 12 years old.
In such cases, it is necessary to consult with a doctor who will select the appropriate treatment regimen, or prescribe another form of valerian release.
The harm from valerian tablets is possible when using the drug without a doctor's prescription, if there are contraindications and violations of the recommended dose. The following body reactions are possible:
- lowering blood pressure
- slow reaction, lethargy,
- allergic to the components of the drug.
It should also be borne in mind that when combined with other sedatives valerian drugs, the sedative effect of drugs is summed up, providing a high inhibitory effect on the central nervous system.. The same effect has a combination of the drug with alcohol.
- constant drowsiness, lethargy, state of indifference,
- blurred vision
- cramps in the stomach and intestines,
- nausea and vomiting,
- hand shake
- bradycardia or arrhythmia.
In case of symptoms of overdose, it is necessary to stop taking valerian, take absorbing agents (magnesium sulfate, activated carbon) to reduce the absorption of the drug in the intestine, and in the presence of dyspeptic disorders carry out gastric lavage.
There were no long-term negative health changes in the practice of using valerian.
The active ingredient in valerian tablets - valerian extract is thick. The extract is produced by pressing the powder from the crushed dried roots and rhizomes of the plant. Dry tablets emit the characteristic smell of the roots of a plant, characterized by the presence of borneol isovaleric ether in them.
More than 90% of the valerian tablets consist of valerian extract, and the excipients that make up the preparation are necessary to preserve the nutrients and ease the intake: the sweetish shell of the tablet hides the bitter taste of the plant.
Unlike valerian liquid extract, dry is absorbed longer and causes an effect as the substance accumulates in the body, therefore valerian tablets are more suitable for treating chronic disorders than for relieving symptoms and preventing stress conditions.
However, due to the fact that a single intake does not cause a strong decrease in concentration, the drug is often used to relieve anxiety and prevent possible stressful conditions (before serious transactions, during examinations, before moving, etc.).
How to take valerian tablets: subtleties of admission
What does the drug help? For a long time valerian is known to mankind as a good sedative, which effectively fights such problems as nervousness, baseless fear, irritability, insomnia, and other neurological troubles.
How does a valerian act on a person? The drug has a sedative effect on the nervous system, has a slight antispasmodic effect, slightly reduces the pressure (http://otzovik.com/review_58958.html).
Here it must be remembered that the effect of valerian is more cumulative than instantaneous. In this, of course, there is a huge plus, since the effect on the body is quite mild, without causing harm to health.
How to take the remedy
Despite the fact that valerian quite gently affects the human body, the decision about the need to take medication based on it should be taken only by a doctor. How often can you drink valerian? Depending on what kind of problem it is necessary to solve with the help of an agent based on valerian, the specialist selects the course and frequency of admission individually. But there are general rules:
- Adult patients are prescribed valerian as part of a complex therapy, and as an independent remedy for such disorders of the nervous system as irritability, hysteria, depression, sleep problems, rapid heartbeat. Method of application - 1 or 2 tablets (frequency of reception - up to 3 times a day).
- In some cases, doctors prescribe valerian patients aged no more than 12 years. The nuances of taking the drug by children are as follows: age from 3 to 5 years - half a tablet 2p / day, up to 7 years old - 1 tablet 1-2p / day, from 7 to 12 years old - twice a day, 1 tablet, on reaching 12- summer age - the dosage is equivalent to an adult.
- During pregnancy, hormonal changes in the body occur in women, which can cause emotional instability. This can lead to poor sleep or insomnia, which in turn can negatively affect the development of the fetus. In this case, a specialist may appoint Valerian as a mild sedative for the expectant mother.
Expectant mothers are forbidden to take the drug in the first trimester, then, the drug is taken exclusively under the supervision of a physician, which determines the dosage in each case.
How to drink pills valerian? The method is the same for all categories of patients:
- The medicine is taken after meals. It is recommended to start taking the drug in the second half of the day.
- The tablets are swallowed whole without chewing.
- The medicine is washed down with clean drinking water to minimize the risk of aggressive action of the active ingredients on the gastrointestinal tract.
How long can you drink valerian tablets? The duration of the drug is determined by the doctor and does not exceed 45 days (maximum).
What diseases are prescribed valerian tablets
The main pharmacological properties of valerian are sedative and hypnotic, and to a lesser extent hypotensive, antispasmodic and choleretic.
In traditional medicine, valerian is often prescribed as a light sedative and hypnotic. It is used to reduce stress, emotional stress and anxiety. Also, the drug is recommended to drink with episodic or chronic insomnia and other sleep disorders, such as inability to fall asleep, sleep for too long, frequent waking up at night and frustration with sleep.
Insomnia and unexplained anxiety are among the main indications for taking valerian tablets.
Due to the hypotensive effect, as well as effects on the coronary vessels and heart, valerian is recommended to drink for hypertension, disorders of the coronary circulation and some other diseases of the cardiovascular system, in particular bradycardia and tachycardia.
Since the tablets of valerian act as a light antispasmodic, they are used in the pathologies of the digestive tract, accompanied by spastic pain.Choleretic property makes it appropriate to their appointment in certain diseases of the liver and bile ducts.
Sometimes valerian is recommended to take also for menopause, headaches, convulsions and some other symptoms.
Most often, valerian prescribed in complex therapy for mild or chronic diseases, as in complex diseases with severe symptoms, it is not sufficiently effective. In the treatment of serious diseases it is used as an aid.
Standard procedure for taking valerian tablets
The order of use of valerian may depend on the dosage of the medication. Today, many pharmaceutical products based on valerian are presented on the pharmaceutical market, which differ both in the amount of active ingredient in one tablet and in the presence of various additional components.
The standard regimen of Valerian may be suitable only in the case of the use of drugs in a dosage of from 20 to 40 mg of root extract and rhizomes. Such tablets are produced by the Ukrainian company Arterium, Bulgarian Sopharma, the Russian Pharmstandard and some others. Depending on the required therapeutic action for adults and children over 12 years old, tablets are prescribed 1-2 pieces 3-4 times a day, however, so that the daily dose does not exceed 200 mg of the active substance.
Fragment of instructions for use of one of the preparations of valerian tablets
Valerian tablets should be taken after eating food and drink half a glass of water. Do not dissolve them.
Dosage of valerian, from which you can die, is not known. There was a case when a man intentionally ate 50 tablets of valerian (20 grams of active ingredient) and in 30 minutes fainted. He was hospitalized with severe intoxication of the body, however, thanks to the timely medical assistance provided, after 24 hours he felt normal.
It should be borne in mind that for cats and other pets valerian is very dangerous, and even a few of its pills can be fatal.
The course of treatment with valerian can be from 10 days to 1 month, since the effect of the tablets is fully manifested when taken regularly for a certain time. How many days you need to drink medicine to a specific patient should be determined by the doctor. It should be borne in mind that some drugs are not recommended to use without interruption for more than 14 days.
Drinking any pills of valerian for more than 1-2 months is not advisable, because overdose can occur due to the accumulation of a large number of active substances in the body and the risk of the side effects of the drug increases. Also, according to some experts, with long-term continuous intake of valerian can be addictive. In cases where long-term medication is needed, it is advised to take a break for at least one week after a month of treatment, and then begin a new course.
A single dose of valerian is usually 1 or 2 tablets. However, wanting to calm down or fall asleep, patients sometimes drink more. This is not worth doing, since increasing the dose has little effect on the effectiveness of the drug, but increases the risk of overdose. A single dose of valerian provides a slight effect. It can cause a feeling of easy relaxation, which helps some patients calm their nerves and reduce emotional stress. Moreover, as a strong tranquilizing drug, valerian with a single dose will not work.
The standard amount of the drug for a single dose
It is believed that valerian tablets without a shell, which can be recognized by dark and black color, are absorbed faster in the body and begin to act than preparations coated with yellow, green or brown shells. However, this does not affect the effectiveness of the remedy, since it is fully manifested only if the course of treatment is respected.
Features of the use of different drugs valerian
Now in the pharmacy you can find a lot of Valerian drugs. Pills produced by different pharmaceutical companies may not only look different, but also have different composition, dosage, indications, contraindications and prices.
Consider the features of the most common drugs:
- Valerian, produced in Bulgaria by Sofarma, is available in a dosage of 30 mg. Tablets are used in adults and children over 12 years old, 1-2 pieces 3-4 times a day,
- Valerian Forte, Ukrainian company Arterium, contains 40 mg of active ingredient in 1 tablet. Children up to 6 years of age are contraindicated, and up to 12 years are allowed on prescription at a dosage of up to 3 tablets per day. Adults recommend 1-2 tablets up to three times a day,
- Valerian extract, also produced by Arterium, contains 20 mg of the active substance. It is prescribed 1-2 tablets up to four times a day,
- The Evening Dragee dietary supplement (popularly called night valerian), produced by the Russian company Parapharma, contains valerian extract, hop fruit and peppermint. Its dosage is 200 mg. Supplements take 1 tablet with food 3-4 times a day. Due to the hop content, it is contraindicated during pregnancy and breastfeeding,
- Phytocapsules "Valeriana P", also produced by Parapharma, contain vitamin C in composition. They take 2-3 capsules with meals two or three times a day. The recommended drug treatment is 14 days,
- The drug "Valerian P", produced in Belarus by the company Amateg, contains 56 mg of valerian extract and 15 mg of ascorbic acid. Recommend the drug to adults and children after 14 years, 1-2 tablets up to 4 times a day,
- Valerian extra, also produced by the Belarusian company Amateg, contains less active ingredients: 10 mg of valerian extract, 5 mg of ascorbic acid and 0.007 mg of colloidal silver. They also take 1-2 tablets up to 4 times a day with a course of treatment up to 14 days,
- Valerian-Belmed, produced by the Belarusian company Belmedpreparaty, contains 200 mg of the active substance per tablet. Tablets are drunk only as prescribed by a doctor three times a day, a maximum of 1 each,
- Valerian extra, produced by the Russian company Biokor, also contains motherwort along with valerian. Tablets at a dose of 130 mg drink 1-2 pieces up to three times a day,
- Valerian plus B6, produced by Vneshtorg Pharma, contains 40 mg of valerian extract and 2 mg of vitamin B6. Take medicine 1 tablet with food in the morning and evening for one month,
- Tablets Valerian extract of the Russian company Evalar contain 20 mg of valerian extract and 5 mg of glycine. Accept them according to the standard scheme.
Glycine is considered quite effective and completely safe sedative, an alternative to valerian
There are so many analogues of drugs valerian. How to use them correctly, you need to coordinate with your doctor, as well as look in the instructions for a specific drug.
Valerian tablets in Russia can be bought for 7-10 rubles for one plate. The average price is 50-60 rubles per pack of 30 tablets. Drops of valerian are somewhat cheaper. The price for a bottle of alcohol tincture is from 15 to 30 rubles.
In its own words, valerian is a plant with soothing properties. Our ancestors found it almost everywhere: on wet marshes and river banks, in impassable thickets and on sunny edges. Nowadays, people grow valerian on plantations and, after late autumn fees, turn ordinary grass into a drug.
In the manufacture of medicines used several forms:
Each of the above forms acts in its own way. Based on numerous reviews, we conclude that Valerian extract or drops has the fastest effect on the body. Some advise brewing filter bags. The slowest action on tablets, however, is the most stable. Tell us more about the tablets valerian.
How do valerian tablets work?
In general, valerian pills pleases the body, exerting a positive effect. How this medicine works:
- it slightly dulls the work of the human nervous system, due to which a wonderful rest and sound healthy sleep are guaranteed
In valerian, as in tablets, and in other dosage forms, has its scope of application. If the use of the drug occurs without consulting a doctor, it should last no more than 10 days! Otherwise, poisoning of the body may occur.
Overdose of valerian tablets
When poisoning with this medicine manifests many symptoms. But! An aged person will find it difficult to recognize them. They are very similar to their daily condition.
Different dosage forms and symptoms are different. Among the symptoms of an overdose of valerian tablets are the following:
- high blood pressure
- diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and other disorders and disorders of the digestive system
- when taking valerian in large doses for a long time - weakness, lethargy, drowsiness and similar symptoms
- hands may also tremble, dizzy, pupils dilate, and even possible fainting
In a day, the use of a medicine in no case should be more than 200 grams. If the specified daily dose is exceeded, an overdose occurs.
First aid for poisoning pills valerian
Even the most innocuous medicine can cause poisoning if used improperly. Everyone needs to know how to help the injured person or himself.
In case of overdose
- Call an ambulance brigade. She should arrive no later than 1.5 hours.
- Give the affected person plenty of water. It should be warm.
- Then should induce vomiting (press on the root of the tongue).
- Cancel reception of valerian. If it is vital, then at least for a while. You can also replace it with another equally effective drug.
- Urgent hospitalization for severe cases.
To avoid such situations, carefully read the instructions for using the medication before using it. Better yet, consult a doctor. It was noticed by doctors that each person individually responds to taking valerian. Someone needs just one pill for a good effect, but someone needs three. A professional will determine the amount of medication that is required by your body.
Features of the use of valerian tablets
Take valerian tablets can and should be in the following cases:
- You are overwhelmed by a stressful situation, you need to pull yourself together and calm down
- you can’t sleep peacefully because of disturbed thoughts
- you have a migraine
- your cardiovascular function is slightly impaired
- your digestive system is slightly impaired
- you caught up with neurasthenia in a mild form
- you have menopausal disorder
- you are hysterical
To take valerian in any dosage form can not in any case, if:
To relieve stress
- you are in the first trimester of pregnancy
- you got hypertension
- you have an inflamed gastrointestinal tract
- you have inflamed kidneys
When using valerian in any dosage form, be sure to consider the following tips:
- Do not perform activities requiring concentration and attention. This medicine dulls the nervous system. From this it follows that focus and attention will leave you for the duration of the action of valerian. You should not take it if you are going to drive, take an exam, and so on.
- Do not take valerian simultaneously with other means of similar action. In this case, plus-plus will result in a minus. There may be many side effects.
- Valerian strengthens antispasmodics!
Keep this in mind so that there are no problems if you are going to take two drugs together.
Valerian also has its side effects, which you need to know in advance:
If you take valerian according to the instructions, side effects do not occur.
How to take pills valerian
It is necessary to use pills of valerian immediately after breakfast, lunch and dinner, three times a day for 1-2 pieces. You cannot do this on an empty stomach.
The amount of medication can be increased only after consulting a doctor. People who have impaired liver and kidney, can not increase the dose of tablets.