One of the most important moments in the development of children is teething. Many parents doubt whether it is necessary to brush milk teeth, they do not know how to properly care for them, how to teach a baby to use a toothbrush when exactly to start brushing teeth to a child. At this stage, everything is important. It is necessary to know, in addition, what means for the care of the teeth and oral cavity are used for children of different ages. Diseases of milk teeth can cause the destruction of the germs of permanent teeth, as well as the occurrence of serious diseases of various organs.
- Why do I need to care for the baby’s oral cavity
- At what age should you start brushing your teeth
- The opinion of experts about the care of children's teeth
- How to brush your child's teeth
- Choice of children's means for the care of teeth and mouth
Why do I need to care for the baby’s oral cavity
In spite of the fact that milk teeth are temporary, they should be carefully looked after: they should be cleaned every day and treated in time. Otherwise, the tooth enamel under the influence of sugar, salts and acids contained in food debris, is destroyed, caries is formed.
It is necessary to treat the teeth, because through the damage to the enamel the infection penetrates into the central part of the tooth, the pulp. This forms pulpitis, or inflammation of soft dental tissues, which can spread to neighboring tissues, causing the appearance of periodontitis.
All this has a negative effect on the formation of permanent teeth, leading to damage to their primordia. In addition, diseases of the teeth and mouth have a direct connection with diseases of the cardiovascular and immune systems. Therefore, the care of the teeth and oral cavity plays an important preventive role, and start it as soon as possible.
At what age should you start brushing your teeth
The first teeth of a child are rare, easily washed by saliva containing antibacterial substances. Pediatric doctors advise to clean them of plaque that occurs during a meal, from the moment of their eruption, using gauze moistened with water. As the number of teeth in a child increases, they are located closer to each other. So, by the age of 2 in children, as a rule, there are about 20 of them. At the same time, the composition of food becomes more complicated. The pieces get stuck between the teeth, the dense location of which makes it difficult for saliva to access these areas. The need to use a toothbrush is obvious.
In order for a child to have healthy teeth, dentists recommend:
- When the first teeth appear, wipe them after each feeding with a damp sponge or gauze to remove food debris and prevent the formation of plaque. It is recommended to take the bottle with the nipple from the baby immediately after feeding, drinking juice or sweet tea. Otherwise, the risk of caries is increasing.
- From 10 months 2 times a day, start brushing your teeth with a soft synthetic brush using baby paste, which will not harm the child if it swallows it. After each meal, it is recommended to free the teeth from plaque moistened with water with a sponge.
- From the age of 3, you can use a paste containing fluorine ("New Pearl", "Doctor Hare"), applying it to the brush in the form of a pea. Fluoride accelerates the formation of tooth enamel, thereby protecting the teeth from caries. Care must be taken that the child spits out the paste and rinses the mouth thoroughly after use.
- At the age of 6-9 years, children should not only use the brush twice a day, but also start using the dental floss, since the gap between the teeth is reduced to a minimum. At this age, milk teeth are gradually replaced by permanent ones.
For an older child, brushing your teeth should become a natural habit and need.
The opinion of experts about the care of children's teeth
According to the children's doctor, E. Komarovsky, it is necessary to teach a child to brush his teeth so that this process gives him pleasure, is a kind of game. If up to 2 years the implementation of thorough cleaning is not always realistic, then it is necessary to start seriously caring for your teeth from this age. However, oral hygiene has been monitored since the appearance of the first tooth. The main conditions for this are compliance with the diet (the child should not eat 24 hours a day, overeat before bedtime), cleanliness and coolness in the room so that the child does not dry up saliva. If the baby asks to drink at night, then he should be given only clean water, and not juice, sweet tea or milk.
Video: At what age to start brushing teeth, doctor Komarovsky answers
Talking about the rules of care for children's teeth, E. Kuzmina, head of the department for the prevention of dental diseases at the Moscow State Medical University of Medicine stresses that if you start early to develop the habit of brushing your teeth, this will help the child to save the health of molar teeth. At the same time, she reminds that, when she visits the dentist, the baby’s oral health should be monitored from the age of six months, and the first tooth should be cleaned with a soft silicone brush worn on her mother's finger.
Video: How to teach a child to brush their teeth. Why caries is formed
For effective cleaning of the inner and outer surfaces of the teeth, it is necessary to brush from the gums to their edges (in this case, there are movements from bottom to top for the lower teeth, from top to bottom - for the upper ones). Chewing surface is cleaned by horizontal movement of the brush. At the same time, the gums are gently massaged with rotational movements, which contributes to their strengthening and improvement of blood circulation. It is necessary to brush the child's teeth with light movements, without pressure, as the enamel wears off quickly, and the gums can be damaged.
Using gauze or a special tool on the brush, it is necessary to remove plaque from the tongue. If this cannot be done, then it is worth consulting with your doctor, as plaque on the tongue sometimes becomes a sign of a disease of the oral cavity, intestines or other organs.
In order to increase the interest of a small child in the process of brushing teeth, devices such as an hourglass are used (led by a brush in the teeth until all the sand is poured). From 3 years old you can use electric toothbrushes.
In order to explain to a child what teeth need brushing, how to do it correctly, you can show him cartoons about the consequences of poor dental care, for example: "Three kittens", "Birdie tari", "Queen toothbrush".
Toothbrushes for babies are not just a smaller copy of an adult brush. They must meet a number of requirements. These include:
- Hygiene Do not use brushes with natural bristles, since microorganisms accumulating in it cannot be removed with a water jet. In addition, natural bristles have a coarser structure, injuring the gums.
- Ease of use for children of different ages. For babies from 3 months to 2 years, brushes are produced that are put on your mother's finger. They allow you to clean the teeth and tongue, massage the gums. Brushes with rubber handles of convenient shape are produced to make it easier for the child to hold them. Some brushes are equipped with a special grater for cleaning the tongue.
Children's electric toothbrushes (for example, Oral-b), which clean teeth better than manual ones, are very popular: due to vibration, they loosen plaque and remove it faster due to the rotational movement of the cleaning surface.
In ultrasonic toothbrushes (children's model Emmi-dent), the charge of an electric battery or battery is converted into ultrasound, thereby killing microorganisms, the enamel is cleaned of plaque.
Children's toothpastes differ from adults in that they contain less abrasive substances, have flavoring and aromatic additives. In addition, they contain useful substances such as dairy enzymes, casein, calcium, xylitol and others that improve the structure of the teeth and have a bactericidal effect. For children under 3 years of age, pastes that do not contain fluoride are produced (President Baby, Weleda, a gel containing calendula). The child can swallow the paste without compromising health.
For children of 3-7 years old, Rokskids - Barberry paste is produced with increased calcium content.
Paste "Splat Jusi Set" is suitable for children of any age. Helps strengthen enamel and has anti-inflammatory effect.
Why care for baby's mouth?
Baby teeth are temporary, therefore it is important for parents to understand why they should be carefully looked after and treated in time. Thin and delicate enamel easily exposed to damage and caries. Sick teeth and gums - a source of infection, which develops not only in the mouth, but also able to spread throughout the body.
Bacteria and viruses cause inflammation in the throat, nose, and gastrointestinal organs. Getting from the oral cavity into the stomach, infections become the cause of the disruption of the gastrointestinal tract. They also weaken the immune system, make the body defenseless against more serious and dangerous diseases.
Often, against the background of caries and damage to the enamel develops stomatitis. External processes are reflected on the inside of the teeth. Pulpitis and inflammation adversely affect the root germs located in the gums. Damaged buds are a guarantee that in adulthood a person will have problems with the oral cavity. The change of teeth from dairy to indigenous occurs at the age of 5-7 years. Full shift ends at 14-15 years.
When to start brushing your baby's teeth
Reasoning on when to start brushing your baby’s teeth, it should be noted that there is no one answer for everyone. The exact term depends on when a tooth appears at the karapuz. For some children, this happens in 4–5 months, others wait up to 8–9 months. As soon as they penetrate the gum, you can purchase care products.
Handle the oral cavity must be very careful, because the mucous membranes are very vulnerable. The first teeth should be cleaned using a silicone fingertip with rubber bristles. As soon as their number reaches 4 or more, you can buy a special children's toothbrush with marking 0+.
Some dentists recommend starting oral care at 3 months of age, when it’s still far from teething. This advice is explained by the fact that microbes accumulate on the gums, there are particles of the mixture or breast milk, which together provokes diseases and infections in the mouth. Care for a toothless mouth is simple - gauze soaked in water or herbal decoction is wound onto the finger, and the upper and lower gums are processed with the device.
It is important not to overdo the hygienic measures, guided by the principles of the "golden mean". With too intense pressure on the child, he may form a negative attitude towards the ritual itself. And each new attempt at brushing your teeth will turn into torture both for parents and for the crumbs.
How to brush your child's teeth
Before using toothpaste, you must teach your child to rinse his mouth and spit out water. The technique itself and the algorithm of actions is simple, but in order to exclude damage to the tooth enamel and gums, you need to follow simple rules and recommendations for cleaning:
- it is necessary to make rotational and horizontal movements with a brush,
- it is important to control the pressure force
- the side surface of the teeth is cleaned sweeping movements from the gums to the crown,
- the incisors are cleaned in a circle,
- The final stage of this scheme is to remove plaque from the tongue.
It is important to interest the child, to teach him. Cleaning is a good and uncomplicated process that helps protect the teeth from pathogenic microorganisms. You can not force the crumbs to care for the oral cavity. He should perform hygienic procedures voluntarily, with interest. If a one-year-old child is indulging and does not allow to brush his teeth, it is necessary to reconsider the tactics of behavior.
To entice the baby with the process can be, if you buy toys that will follow his teeth with him, or buy bright watch for counting minutes. An electric brush can help, but you can use it when your child is 3 years old.
If the baby refuses to tear off the mouth and prevents the mother from brushing his teeth, you can resort to a little trick. If in the process of cleaning the baby will watch cartoons, the procedure will be as easy as possible. In your free time, turn on toddler educational cartoons, in which the characters explain to children the importance of caring for their teeth.
Pasta, designed specifically for kids, does not contain fluoride and abrasives. They have a gel form, differ in the expressed pleasant aroma and tastes. If you swallow some of this paste, it will not affect the health and well-being of the baby. Often this product is enriched with beneficial substances and additives, such as:
Choose pasta crumbs by age. "Adult paste" is valid after the child reaches 15 years of age. Buying a product, look at the composition. Try to choose products without dyes, flavors and preservatives, give preference to proven brands.
An equally important part of successful tooth brushing in babies is a toothbrush. Buy a product with a bright pen and cap. Avoid products with natural bristles, it is poorly cleaned and injures the delicate gums. The main requirements of a children's toothbrush are:
- the convenience of use.
Once a week it is necessary to handle the brush with boiling water. Replacing the product is carried out 1 time in 2-3 months. Be sure to change the brush after the disease. Buying a brush, pay attention to how much it costs. No need to spend money on the most expensive models. It is better to take the baby with you to the store, and give him the right to choose.
Oral care requires an integrated approach. Be sure to visit the dentist twice a year for a routine inspection. To instill healthy habits of the baby is the task of every mother. Oral care for your baby will quickly understand and master if it has a good example. Conduct hygiene procedures together, play in the process, tell the rhymes, so the baby will not cry and brushing your teeth will soon become a favorite occupation of the crumbs.
No dentist will be able to state with certainty the exact date when the first milk incisors begin to erupt. The norm is from 3 months to 1.2 years. Do not worry that the child is almost a year old, but the mouth is still empty. Perhaps, with careful examination, you can see that the baby's gums are somewhat swollen. Quite often, it bothers the children, they all pull in the mouth, lick the fingers, mother's "Sisyu" gnawing like a pacifier. In this case, the parents try to help by purchasing gels in the pharmacies to relieve the child’s torment and special teethers.
The first teeth of the child appear from 3 months of age.
When to start cleaning teeth
Some parents sometimes do not think about the hygiene of the oral cavity of their offspring and begin to attach to it at the age of over 2.5 years, and sometimes even later. They substantiate that it is not so necessary: the child is small, let him grow up, and immediately teach him to brush his teeth himself. Or: milk teeth are temporary, anyway, permanent ones will soon appear, and they will need to be looked after.
Hygiene must begin with the first tooth cut through. If the parents do not monitor the condition of the mouth of their child from the very beginning, then later this may negatively affect his permanent teeth.
The first cleaning of the mouth, which can be done before acquiring a brush, use a bandage or a clean cloth. Wrap the fabric around the index finger, moisten with warm boiled water. Gently wipe the gums and milk teeth. This procedure gives a good result. Today, the stores sell special silicone toothed toothbrushes with small hairs. The cleaning procedure should be carried out twice a day, and if possible, after each meal.
Care of oral hygiene is necessary from the very birth of a child.
If you do not follow the teeth, then in the near future there may be a disease such as caries, which is the source of various types of infections, which, in turn, lead to serious diseases. For children, caries is a toothache, poor appetite and other troubles. Introducing a child with a dentist is from an early age, but not on caries. Unfortunately, if you start the treatment of a disease, then this, ultimately, may result in the premature removal of a baby tooth. This, in turn, can lead to a violation of the formation of bite, lead to speech defects and curvature of permanent teeth.
Choice of cleaning products
It is worth paying attention to the choice of dental care products.
For the little ones fit:
- wet cloth or bandage: gives an excellent result in the period of initial adjustment to the cleaning procedure,
- салфетки-«зубкичистки» : используют после каждого приема пищи, если нет возможности почистить зубы щеткой. Также их применяют и для массажа десен. Имеют несколько вкусов,
- дентальные салфетки : наматывают на палец и используют для очистки всей полости рта после еды. Помогают для профилактики кариеса и других заболеваний полости рта у детей раннего возраста.
For cleaning the teeth and gums in the baby, you can use specialized wipes.
How to brush teeth year old child
- Brush-napalechnik: closer to the year you need to move on to a serious teeth brushing. To begin with, the choice of the parent falls on a special silicone brush that needs to be put on the finger. Some kids love when they brush and tongue with this brush.
- Toothbrush: Starting from the year, it is necessary to proceed to the normal cleaning of the incisors. For children, you should not buy brushes with natural bristles. It is the rapid proliferation of bacteria, resulting in the toddler will often suffer from stomatitis.
To care for the teeth of a small child, it is recommended to use baby toothbrushes.
Independently teach to clean the incisors is worth after the child is three years old. At first, he will not be able to properly complete the entire procedure, so he needs the help of his parents.
Children's brush differs from an adult in that the length of its working surface is 2 cm (2 children's teeth). It has a soft bristle and a rounded head (so that the baby could not get hurt), as well as a strong and comfortable wide handle. In order for the fidget to be pleasant to clean the incisors, it is advisable to acquire a beautiful cheerful brush, for example, with the image of your favorite cartoon characters.
Use baby brush
You can brush your teeth and such a brush-fingertip
How to brush your baby's teeth
After the toddler is one year old, you must start brushing your mouth with a toothbrush. Unfortunately, not every parent knows how to properly brush their teeth for children. Due to the illiteracy of an adult when cleaning, you can erase the enamel, as a result of which caries will begin to form. Let's consider the correct sequence of cleaning young incisors.
Step-by-step process for proper tooth cleaning
- Moisten the brush with water.
- Apply a little toothpaste onto the work surface.
- Gently brush the baby’s teeth, placing it at an angle of about 45 degrees. Move from the gums to the edge of the incisors. Remember that it is not right to put pressure on the teeth, but gently brush off the plaque.
- Chewing teeth should be cleaned similarly to the front, but with the addition of circular movements.
- Connecting the upper and lower jaws, continue to brush the teeth from the outside (right and left).
- We open the mouth and continue brushing from the inside of the teeth, first we process it from above, then we do the same procedure with the lower teeth.
- In conclusion, you need to clean the tongue, doing it gently with a brush or its reverse side, if there is a special rough surface.
Mom should help the baby get used to the toothbrush.
Cleaning takes a few minutes, a little less than for adults. It can be quite difficult for a baby to withstand such a procedure, but parents need to arm themselves with patience: begin to slowly involve the toddler with your own example, showing how you yourself maintain oral hygiene. On the Internet, if necessary, find short cartoons on this topic.
Self cleaning teeth
Crumbs are often interesting to clean their own teeth, but if this is not the case, then try to turn this process into a game. For a baby, you need to purchase a beautiful brush, preferably the one that he chooses himself, and a paste with a pleasant taste. Show by your example how to properly brush your teeth, offer the child to help clean the teeth of your favorite toys. Gradually, this game will appeal to the baby, and, after a while, he will conduct the procedure himself.
You can try other ways. For what little will it not be interesting to brush your teeth for mom or dad? And most children love to look at themselves in the mirror. So offer your son or daughter to clean in front of him. It is necessary to be present at the same time and to closely monitor how the peasant acts.
Mostly children can brush their teeth after four years. And how to brush your teeth for children from infancy up to 3 years old was described above.
Children just need to brush their teeth. You need to start as early as possible so that you don’t have to go to a dentist. Do not forget about the brush - it should please the eye of the child and be safe for him. Pick up toothpaste according to age.
How old do you need to start brushing your child's teeth?
The time when you have to start brushing your baby’s teeth depends on the appearance of the first tooth. After all, rotten or lost teeth interfere with good nutrition and development of speech.
It is necessary to brush the child's teeth from the moment the first tooth appears. The procedure is performed twice a day. If you start early, your baby will quickly get used to the cleaning process.
You can use toothbrushes. They must be very soft and have no more than three rows of bristles.
Throw away any toothbrushes that have become rough around the edges or if they are more than 2 to 4 months old, because pathogenic bacteria begin to grow and multiply on such brushes.
The first tooth of a baby is likely to be the lower front. In most cases, it appears when the baby is about six months old. However, the time of the first tooth cutting can vary greatly. Some newborns already have one tooth! In other children, teeth appear only annually.
The child will eventually have 20 milk teeth. All this should happen by the time the baby is 2.5 - 3 years old.
Do baby's gums need to be cleaned before teething?
Even before the baby has the first tooth, it would be nice to get used to wipe the gums with gauze or a soft wet wipe while bathing. You do not need to use any toothpaste. Simply wrap your index finger with a cloth or gauze and gently wipe the baby's gums.
Bacteria in the mouth usually can not harm the gums until the teeth appear. But sometimes it is difficult to determine when the teeth begin to erupt, so it is advisable to start caring for the infant's mouth early.
Choosing the best toothpaste for a child
Currently, a variety of toothpastes, various brands and flavors specifically designed for children, has increased significantly. Having a variety of options can make the choice of the best toothpaste for the dental health of your young woman a more difficult process than expected.
When choosing the best toothpaste for the child and his teeth consider several parameters.
Choose a toothpaste with an approval mark of StAR (Dental Association of Russia). It is important to choose a toothpaste, approved as a harmless and effective product to maintain an optimal condition of the teeth.
To make sure that you are buying a product recommended by STAR, look for their seal of approval, which should be located on the box and tube of toothpaste. The StAR seal ensures that the toothpaste was objectively tested and approved by the StAR Security Council on scientific issues.
The most reliable informant for dental product recommendations is your child’s dentist. As a specialist, a pediatric dentist can guide parents in choosing the best toothpaste for a baby.
Abrasive toothpastes are not the best option. The choice of toothpaste, appropriate to the age of the child, is very important. Some toothpastes contain hard ingredients that erode and wear a protective outer coating of the teeth - enamel.
When should you start brushing your child’s teeth with fluoride toothpaste? According to StAR, children of almost all ages should use toothpaste containing fluoride, which protects teeth from caries and plaques (anti-caries toothpastes).
The recommended amount for children under 3 years is the size of a grain of rice, for older children the size of a pea is recommended. Children under two years old usually cannot spit out toothpaste, therefore for this age it is necessary to select toothpastes without fluoride content (“PRESIDENT Baby”, “Weleda”, “Splat Juicy Set”, “SPLAT Junior from 0 to 4 years old”, “ROCS - PRO Baby "," ROCS baby - fragrant chamomile ").
Take into account the taste. Although the fragrance can not be considered technically significant for the health of teeth, the choice of toothpaste, which is pleasant for the child, helps him more to enjoy teeth cleaning.
Some children do not like the taste of mint toothpastes, because they cause tingling in the mouth. Children tend to brush their teeth more readily when offered “funny” flavors of toothpaste, such as strawberries or chewing gum.
When to start brushing your child’s teeth with whitening toothpaste?
A child has stains on the teeth that you want to remove, but is it too early to start the treatment for teeth whitening?
Whitening toothpastes may be beneficial, but first check the recommended age for use on the package. Usually it is 2 years, but it all depends on the specific product.
Whitening toothpastes can have a positive effect when removing surface stains, but deeper stains from medications, injuries or products that have deeply stained teeth do not budge. Talk to your dentist about the causes of stains on his teeth.
If you decide to use whitening toothpaste, choose the one that contains fluoride. Consult the dentist of your son or daughter before trying to whiten your child’s teeth in other ways.
See the instructions for use on the packaging of toothpaste, how much product should be used depending on age.
After the child has all the permanent teeth, you can start using a soft form of bleaching. For example, whitening strips.
How to brush your child's teeth?
Because young children do not know how to brush their teeth properly, parents should teach them.
This will be easy to achieve by doing following important steps:
- step 1: in order to properly clean children's teeth, a parent or child should direct a soft bristle toothbrush at an angle of 45 ° to the gums of the upper and lower teeth,
- step 2: move the toothbrush carefully back and forth in short strokes along the teeth and gums. Similarly, should continue along the inner and outer surface of each tooth,
- step 3: the brush head should be placed in a vertical position to reach the place behind the front teeth from above and below,
- step 4: To remove bacteria on the surface of the tongue, it must also be cleaned.
How to brush your teeth a child in 1 year?
You need to get used to brush your child's teeth twice a day. Do this once in the morning, at a time that follows your usual rules. The second cleaning should be before bedtime, after feeding.
Brush with small circular motions, concentrating on the area where the teeth and gums meet.
When you're done, make sure the child spits out excess toothpaste, but don't rinse your mouth with water. When a little toothpaste stays on the teeth, it works better.
If the child is about two or three years old, it's time to start teaching him to brush his teeth and look after them on his own. Although learning elementary oral hygiene practices and habits begins in early childhood, it is a process that takes several years.
Preschoolers do not yet have honed motor skills to deftly manipulate a toothbrush. Therefore, it is important to continue the training and control of brushing the child’s teeth until it reaches the age of 6–8 years.
Your child will probably want to try himself in this business. Be sure to follow the thoroughness of cleaning.
How to teach your child to properly brush their teeth if he does not like a toothbrush?
Unfortunately, not every child likes to brush their teeth. When a baby has teeth, and the gums are very sensitive and sore, the child can resist.
Here is what you should try if brushing your teeth is accompanied by a struggle between parents and baby:
- act softly. The gums of a rib child are sensitive, even when the teeth do not erupt. Therefore, if the baby really doesn’t like the brush, try a soft sponge and a gentle touch,
- sing a song. For some children, a little distraction is all that is needed to make brushing your teeth comfortable. Sing your favorite melody in the process of cleaning children's teeth. The baby will be in a great mood and can give a smile,
- show him how it is done. Seeing mom or dad brushing their teeth and enjoying the process will help turn the teeth brushing procedure into a game: “Mom comes first ... now it's your turn!”
- let him play. The child will most likely be curious about the toothbrush. Encourage his interest by letting you hold the brush and explore it at your own pace. Perhaps he can even put the brush in his mouth and try to wield it.
Effective protection against infections
Indeed, even with breastfeeding, various microorganisms appear on the mucous membrane, causing inflammation of the gums. Regular cleansing develops in the child an addiction to this hygienic procedure, which later makes it much easier for the child to teach self-care for the teeth, without causing him resistance.
Before the appearance of the first tooth
The appearance of the first milk teeth depends on the individual characteristics of the organism and the feeding methods (breast or artificial). During this period, the care of the oral cavity consists in removing plaque from the gums and tongue.
For this procedure, you can use as a special hygiene products, and the usual gauze swab.
Toothpaste at this age does not apply, rather ordinary boiled water with a small addition of salt or soda (1 teaspoon for a glass of water).
Mouth cleansing after each feeding, to babies on artificial feeding and twice a day to infants.
First incisors appeared
With the advent of the first teeth, complementary food usually begins, and food debris can accumulate in the mouth. Therefore, from the age of six months you can gradually accustom the baby to a real cleaning using special means.
Carry out the procedure should be very careful, because when teething teeth can hurt the gums, it can lead to an inflammatory process. Oral cleansing agents can be a source of infection.
To clean the teeth need gentle movements on both sides in the morning and evening. To begin with, the procedure is carried out only with a soft brush, after the baby gets used, you can use a special toothpaste for the little ones.
Come here to see photos of hypertrophic gingivitis and learn about the reasons for its development.
The simplest way is to clean the mouth with a regular gauze pad moistened in boiled water with salt or soda. Gauze has a rough surface, so that the plaque is easily removed from the mucous.
Until the year when the child has yet learned to hold a toothbrush, it is better to use a silicone finger-tip. With the help of this tool is not only removed plaque from the mucous, but also carried out a gentle massage of the gums. The procedure is carried out without the use of paste, it is enough to moisten the brush in boiled water.
Special wipes “Spiffies” with flavoring additives and antiseptic impregnation not only clean the mucous, but also disinfect. They are not intended for reusable use, which eliminates the ingress of microorganisms when re-using the tool.
Mouth cleansing with wipes not only removes harmful microorganisms, but also reduces pain in a baby during teething.
Napkins worn on the fingernails containing xylitol are excellent for preventing and protecting against thrush and other infections. Available with or without flavorings. This tool is an excellent prevention of bottle caries.
Means need to be changed every two to three months. Before using the brush it must be sterilized.
The advantages of special children's toothbrushes:
- the thin short bristles gently clean the surface without disturbing the protective layer of enamel,
- ring or stop prevents penetration of the brush into the throat,
- soft rubber grip, does not slip out of hand.
Detailed instructions for parents
To accustom the child to this procedure should be gradually starting from one minute, so as not to cause resistance. Oral hygiene is carried out in the morning and evening, which develops a certain habit and disciplines the baby.
Up to one year old, the oral cavity is cleaned without toothpaste; napkins or silicone fingernails are used.
How to clean the baby:
- the child is on the mother’s lap, the head is pressed against the breast,
- gauze swab or silicone brush moistened in boiled water, chamomile infusion or soda solution,
- it is necessary to carry out cleansing and massage of the gums with light circular motions,
- milk teeth are brushed horizontally from the outside and the inside.
Before the procedure, rinse the device under running water, and then squeeze a small amount of paste on the bristles.
How to brush baby teeth:
- First, the chewing surface is cleaned with confident horizontal movements, not forgetting about the internal surface, which is cleaned with short movements at a certain angle of inclination. Движения проводятся в двух направлениях слева направо и наоборот, постепенно передвигаясь к передним зубам.
- Затем проводится очищение поверхностей передних зубов легкими вертикальными движениями от края десны, располагая щетку под углом.
- Заключительным этапом является чистка глазных зубов, вертикальными движениями, от края десны вниз. Each movement should be repeated up to ten times, to completely remove plaque.
- After the procedure, be sure to rinse your mouth with warm boiled water.
After completing the procedure, you need to thoroughly rinse the brush under running water until all the remaining paste is removed and set to dry. In addition to hygienic purposes, this procedure perfectly massages the gums, improving blood circulation.
In the video, Dr. Komarovsky expresses his opinion on the age at which you need to start brushing your child's teeth.
Selection of baby pasta
Toothpaste should be selected depending on the age of the baby:
- Up to three years the presence of fluoride in the children's medicine is undesirable, this element is toxic, and when brushing your teeth there is a possibility that the child may swallow the paste.
- After three years to five years old You can already begin to enter pasta with mineral additives and low fluorine content. Allowed to use rinses without alcohol.
- With the advent of the first permanent teethAfter five years, you should use products containing fluoride and other useful additives that protect enamel, destroy bacteria and remove plaque well.
In this article, read about Oral Bee toothbrushes and devices from other manufacturers.
Classic toothpaste is intended for older children and may include a small amount of fluoride and abrasives.
Funds for children can be:
- regular hygiene pastesdesigned to remove plaque and unpleasant odor,
- curative pasteswhich contain antibacterial substances
- treatment-and-prophylactic meanscontaining minerals, vitamins, enzymes and antibacterial components that protect the enamel from damage, and prevent inflammatory processes of soft tissues.
Any baby hygiene must meet the main requirements:
- effectively clean and refresh the mouth,
- do not contain components that may cause irritation or allergic reaction,
- have antibacterial properties
- have a pleasant taste and a homogeneous composition.
Independent execution of the procedure
You can begin to teach the child to perform the hygienic procedure on his own, as soon as he learns to rinse his mouth.
Self cleaning teeth:
- Before starting the procedure, rinse your mouth with warm boiled water, then squeeze a small amount of paste onto the brush.
- You need to start with the upper chewing surface, making a reciprocating movement in the horizontal direction.
- In the same way, the lower chewing surface is cleaned.
- Having joined the teeth together, they use a circular motion to process the outer side of all the teeth, starting with the right molars, and gradually moving towards the middle.
- In the same way, the external side is processed to the left, starting from the molars, and moving to the front with small movements.
- Then you can start cleaning the upper inner surface, opening your mouth as wide as possible and conducting the procedure in a circular motion.
- In this way, the lower inner surface is cleaned, not forgetting the hygiene of the tongue.
- The final stage will be rinsing the mouth with boiled water.
It will be great if the child can perform the procedure in front of a mirror. This is of interest to the baby and allows him to control his actions.
How else can a child’s teeth be protected?
The main cause of tooth decay is sugar. Whenever your baby has something sweet in his mouth, sugar begins to destroy the mineral surface of the teeth.
A child’s teeth may recover from a sweet meal, but this may take several hours. If he often eats sweets during the day, his teeth do not have time to recover.
Offer your child sweet food and drink only while eating, so that there is a break of several hours between sweets. Sweet includes dried fruit, smoothies and juices.
When you give your child a snack between meals, choose delicious dishes such as cheese or vegetables.
To really give your child the best chance of healthy teeth, do following:
- As a beverage, offer only breast milk, milk formulas or cooled boiled water to infants.
- Avoid fruit juices, flavored milk and carbonated drinks. They usually contain a lot of sugar and cause tooth decay.
- Approximately in half a year teach a baby to drink from a glass. When he is one year old, try to wean the use of the bottle. At night, as a drink, give only milk or water.
- Provide your child with a healthy, balanced diet. Encourage him to enjoy tasty foods, such as vegetables and cereals. Do not add sugar to food.
- If you use cooked baby foods, make sure they do not contain sugar or sweeteners. Remember that other sugars, such as fructose and glucose, are just as harmful to a child’s teeth as simple sugar.
- If a young child needs to take medicine, choose sugar-free options.
When you teach your children to brush their teeth, dental staff can help. Developing proper oral hygiene habits will help children maintain healthy teeth for many years.